PDA

View Full Version : After being at the game today

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2014, 07:09 PM
And hitting the early stages of heat exhaustion twice in the first half, it is stupid to schedule day games in ms the first 2-3 weeks of the season. 6:00pm kick should be the earliest a game starts when the calendar says September. It was hot as hell out there today. And for those parents bringing your babies to a game that hot...you should be beat with a crowbar.

mstatefan91
09-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Agreed as far as babies go. If you can afford the tickets then you can afford a babysitter.

archdog
09-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Made my wife take the baby home after being in the stadium for 5 minutes. We should never have a game earlier than 5 pm in september. Just too hot.

EngineerDawg
09-06-2014, 07:17 PM
We have a four month old and didn't go in. It was so hot at the tailgate we didn't last long before deciding to head home. Worst part is no one (students included) was willing to use our tickets in section 19 (for free). Got numerous I don't go in from students. I for one would much rather give them away than scalp them.

Coackjek
09-06-2014, 07:22 PM
And hitting the early stages of heat exhaustion twice in the first half, it is stupid to schedule day games in ms the first 2-3 weeks of the season. 6:00pm kick should be the earliest a game starts when the calendar says September. It was hot as hell out there today. And for those parents bringing your babies to a game that hot...you should be beat with a crowbar.

The wife and baby stayed home. 8 and 5yo came with me but left at the half with my mom after spend the first half in the upper concourse under the AC. My biggest complaint was we ran out of bottled water, asked for a cup of ice water and it was going to be a dollar ore than a bottled water. Bathroom faucet water ain't too bad and will keep you hydrated. Also, the cloud that covered the sun the second half was great.

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2014, 07:25 PM
That cloud was a God send.

shannondawg
09-06-2014, 07:26 PM
I sit in the shade in sec 107 in the chairbacks, and I just marveled at the fans that were sitting in the sun, My hats off to the ones that stayed the entire game.There was not a noticeable breeze the entire game. If we can't make field goal and extra points with no wind, heaven help us if we have a wind. At least they would have an excuse, weak, but at least have one. I saw one lady with a baby in diapers draped across her lap, that borders on insanity.

On a bright side, the hot dogs are now world class, compared to what the have been in the past, even during the Bryan days of the Vienna sausage size dogs back then. These are almost as good as the Bryan Big Dogs we use to get at the Hump.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2014, 07:33 PM
On a bright side, the hot dogs are now world class, compared to what the have been in the past, even during the Bryan days of the Vienna sausage size dogs back then. These are almost as good as the Bryan Big Dogs we use to get at the Hump.

In my opinion, this is the best news of the day.

BulldogBear
09-06-2014, 07:39 PM

+1

civildawg
09-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Watch out. You will be called a bad fan and a ***** if you left because it was too hot. Even though the people calling you a ***** are sitting at home behind a keyboard

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2014, 08:16 PM
I made the whole game but only because the ticket I used was in the scoreboard club and I could go get in the AC when needed. I was coming off a cold and I think I was still a little drained from it. I remember walking down the steps the first time I was dizzy and having to really concentrate to go down the steps.

archdog
09-06-2014, 08:28 PM
I sat in the sun in section 5. The firat half was very hot but I stayed the entire game because it was still in question and beleive it or not, if the team has to take it then its my duty to stay and tough it out.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2014, 08:35 PM

http://i.imgur.com/GjGFHyF.gif

jbjones
09-06-2014, 08:36 PM
I sat in the sun in section 5. The firat half was very hot but I stayed the entire game because it was still in question and beleive it or not, if the team has to take it then its my duty to stay and tough it out.

Congrats to you guys, toughing it out. I'm going to tell you, it was F*ing HOT. I was under the Gridiron shade, so I only got 90% of the heat...but holy hell...*clang-clang* to you guys. Seriously.

mstatefan91
09-06-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm not gonna lie. If we had played like we should have and been up 30+ going into the 4th, I would have seriously considered leaving early. I'm not saying I would have, but it would have crossed my mind for sure.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2014, 08:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GjGFHyF.gif

I am crying I'm laughing so hard. Beardo, you're my hero

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Here is a TOTAL old fogey post. When I was at MSU we didn't have lights. If we played in Starkville it was at 1:30 PM local time......just like 95% of all other college football games.

Smitty
09-06-2014, 09:00 PM
It wasn't that hot.. Get a couple of waters and man up. The 2nd half especially was nice and cloudy. There have been much hotter games in our recent past. Alcorn was worse last year. Dudy Noble gets much worse than today.

Treemydawg
09-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Y'all fellars are acting like its a hundred and twenty degrees out here, hell it caint be no more than a hundred and fifteen.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
It wasn't that hot.. Get a couple of waters and man up. The 2nd half especially was nice and cloudy. There have been much hotter games in our recent past. Alcorn was worse last year. Dudy Noble gets much worse than today.

I dunno man, it was 17'n hot where I was sitting. I'm not one to complain about the heat, but damn, it was oddly hot, with no breeze; I felt like scrambled eggs going into the half.

Where were you sitting? If you say "up in the scoreboard club, eating catered food and chattin' up a bird" I'm going to murder you ;)

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I was at the Alcorn game and sat upper deck east side. Made the whole game easily. Today was different. Not sure how. I know there was zero breeze. Think it was more humid too. The second half was much much better with the cloud cover.

Smitty
09-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I dunno man, it was 17'n hot where I was sitting. I'm not one to complain about the heat, but damn, it was oddly hot, with no breeze; I felt like scrambled eggs going into the half.

Where were you sitting? If you say "up in the scoreboard club, eating catered food and chattin' up a bird" I'm going to murder you ;)

I wouldn't say t if I didn't experience it. I sit about row 15 on the east side. Right there in it the whole time. Alcorn last year was so much worse. Just kept a water in hand and was fine. 2nd half was actually nice because it cleared out and was cloudy.

Nothing will ever be worse than at Memphis about 15 years ago. Y'all just don't know hot unless you were there.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I was at the Alcorn game and sat upper deck east side. Made the whole game easily. Today was different. Not sure how. I know there was zero breeze. Think it was more humid too. The second half was much much better with the cloud cover.

The cloud cover made a world of difference. At half time I had to go dunk my head in a sink in the bathroom and chill out in the breezeway. The second half was much easier on my body...and mind.

Treemydawg
09-06-2014, 09:22 PM
I sat in row 17 west side and didn't think it was hot at all. Some of y'all need to walk a day in my shoes at work and you will see what hot is.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2014, 09:25 PM
I sat in row 17 west side and didn't think it was hot at all. Some of y'all need to walk a day in my shoes at work and you will see what hot is.

Jesus Christ. Lets all agree that it was hot. I stayed. Do I wish the fratty's and the rest of the crowd had stayed? 17 yeah, but it is what it is. Get off y'all's high horse. It was 17'n hot.

DudyDawg
09-06-2014, 09:26 PM

Bad ass man

BeardoMSU
09-06-2014, 09:30 PM
walk a day in my shoes at work and you will see what hot is.

This is also the equivalent of telling someone "they don't know what hard work is" just because you've got a blue collar job and they don't. It's not always about you.

Mjoelner34
09-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Nothing will ever be worse than at Memphis about 15 years ago. Y'all just don't know hot unless you were there.

I wasn't at that game but I heard all of the stories. Today was as hot as I've ever been at a football game but from everything I heard about that one, it was worse than today. I think the sun beating down on me today was what made it so bad. I can't wait until February when we can all bitch about playing baseball when it's 39, windy and misting rain.

Smitty
09-06-2014, 09:32 PM
According to Wunderground the high heat index for Alcorn last year was 95.4 degrees

Today's high during game…. 95.4 degrees.

Alcorn was sunny the ENTIRE time though.

High heat index for Memphis on September 2, 2000 was…… 103.0. Did not drop below 100 all game long. That grew hair on your balls, today was nothing.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMEM/2000/9/2/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Memphis&req_state=TN&req_statename=Tennessee

DudyDawg
09-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Don't get your line of thought. Okay, today wasn't the hottest ever. It was still hot. Same as this: mississippi state has played worse than today. We played like shit today

What's with the pissing contest of being at the hottest game?? It was hot, relative to an average day in life.

Treemydawg
09-06-2014, 09:38 PM
This is also the equivalent of telling someone "they don't know what hard work is" just because you've got a blue collar job and they don't. It's always about you.

Nope absolutely wrong. Just saying that it wasn't hot at all to me sitting there compared to what I deal with everyday at work. I know I am aclimated to a different kind of hot than most people, but damn some of y'all need to grow a set. I can agree with everyone on the elderly and the young, but grown ass men shouldn't be complaining about how hot it was sitting in a seat and basically doing nothing.

Smitty
09-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Point being last year the students bitched out like always but pretty much everyone else stayed. Today everyone bitched out. In a close game.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Point being last year the students bitched out like always but pretty much everyone else stayed. Today everyone bitched out. In a close game.

Look, I'm not making excuses for the students, that's for damn sure. You're absolutely right about last year.

I'm just saying that the stands, as whole, were emptying out pretty quick; not just the student section, and the heat was probably 80% at fault - the other 20% was our shittastic play vs. a scrub we should have pummeled.

willi13
09-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Blazing Saddles reference = +1

HereComesTheSpiral
09-06-2014, 09:52 PM
According to Wunderground the high heat index for Alcorn last year was 95.4 degrees

Today's high during game…. 95.4 degrees.

Alcorn was sunny the ENTIRE time though.

High heat index for Memphis on September 2, 2000 was…… 103.0. Did not drop below 100 all game long. That grew hair on your balls, today was nothing.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMEM/2000/9/2/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Memphis&req_state=TN&req_statename=Tennessee

I was at that game. I think one big difference in today and alcorn last year was tv. People had to stay in the heat longer today due to the game being on tv.

Treemydawg
09-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Blazing Saddles reference = +1

Some one finally got it.

Dawg61
09-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Maybe the new paint in the stands isn't actually paint and is some weird fu@ked up aluminum foil and it increased the heat by 100 degrees. Everyone is sterile now. Sperm was murdered.

bluelightstar
09-06-2014, 09:56 PM
The 2nd half of the game was MUCH better, and it was fine watching the game with the consistent cloud cover. The first half was absolutely miserable, and the sun was just beating down on you. Most of the people around us (East Side) ended up leaving before or at halftime.

And maybe because it was so hot, it felt like that first half took FOREVER.

HancockCountyDog
09-06-2014, 09:58 PM
The first half of that game was as hot as I have ever been at a sporting event .

BeardoMSU
09-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Maybe the new paint in the stands isn't actually paint and is some weird fu@ked up aluminum foil and it increased the heat by 100 degrees. Everyone is sterile now. Sperm was murdered.

No shit, lol.

I suppose it didn't help I drank a gallon of whole milk at the tailgate....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FM3Em7FIOc

Smitty
09-06-2014, 10:08 PM
The Saturday SBW game a few years ago when Florida beat us 18-0…. That was a hot, humid, shitty day.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Texas, Jackie's first year. It was an 11:30 game and it hit 100 actual temperature in the first half, no dang heat index needed. It rained for about 10 minutes, I think right after the half. The temp might have dropped a degree or maybe two but it turned it into a sauna. Those guys from Austin who were used to the hell that is Texas in August freaking wilted.

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't say t if I didn't experience it. I sit about row 15 on the east side. Right there in it the whole time. Alcorn last year was so much worse. Just kept a water in hand and was fine. 2nd half was actually nice because it cleared out and was cloudy.

AMEN. I was there and will never, ever forget it. Believe Todd4State said he was in the band then and said several band members had heat stroke. Concessions ran outta ice and charged $7 for a paper cup of lukewarm water.

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 01:18 AM
Bad ass man

How has Treemy not had this happen yet:

http://i.imgur.com/Zz5kJVY.gif

Coach66
09-07-2014, 07:29 AM
The problem.

DawgSaint
09-07-2014, 07:46 AM
I know it's beyond expensive, but games like yesterday is why East club level is the only place to sit. I'm pretty sure I could not go back to section 4!

woozman
09-07-2014, 10:31 AM

Ummm, it was pretty f'n hot. At least it was in the sun in Section 20. As another poster stated, that lingering cloud was welcome. When I saw what the heat index was projected to be, I prepared for the game by drinking about a gallon of water on the way up and then drank several in the stadium (at least until they ran out). I was amazed at the number of people bringing large sodas up the concourse, including one lady I saw on a stretcher later. Bad move, people - water, water, water... Sodas and tea will dehydrate you almost as much as alcohol. I did double-fist a couple beers walking to the stadium, but I switched back to water once inside and was fine.

I sat out in the heat even in the 2nd quarter when there were hundreds under the grandstands in the shade and at halftime when there were thousands. I left in the 4th quarter but not because of the heat. It was because the game seemed in hand and I had a 4 hour drive back to the coast.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Ummm, it was pretty f'n hot. At least it was in the sun in Section 20. As another poster stated, that lingering cloud was welcome. When I saw what the heat index was projected to be, I prepared for the game by drinking about a gallon of water on the way up and then drank several in the stadium (at least until they ran out). I was amazed at the number of people bringing large sodas up the concourse, including one lady I saw on a stretcher later. Bad move, people - water, water, water... Sodas and tea will dehydrate you almost as much as alcohol. I did double-fist a couple beers walking to the stadium, but I switched back to water once inside and was fine.

I sat out in the heat even in the 2nd quarter when there were hundreds under the grandstands in the shade and at halftime when there were thousands. I left in the 4th quarter but not because of the heat. It was because the game seemed in hand and I had a 4 hour drive back to the coast.

I couldnt believe people were drinking coke yesterday. You really need to mix in a sports drink if you are going to be drinking tons of water so you dont flush out all of your electrolytes. Just make sure you are doing a 2:1 water to sports drink ratio of mix in a little with every bottle of water.

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 10:51 AM
I couldnt believe people were drinking coke yesterday. You really need to mix in a sports drink if you are going to be drinking tons of water so you dont flush out all of your electrolytes. Just make sure you are doing a 2:1 water to sports drink ratio of mix in a little with every bottle of water.

I went with the 2:1 ratio as well. 2 parts Jim 1 part coke

HereComesTheSpiral
09-07-2014, 10:55 AM
I went with the 2:1 ratio as well. 2 parts Jim 1 part coke

So you didnt feel shit the whole game

woozman
09-07-2014, 12:32 PM

My company's safety guy always says that if you're gong to be in the heat for the day to drink a large sports drink in the morning and and one after lunch and drink water the rest of the day. I'm not a fan of sport drinks, so I ate 2 bags of salted peanuts. Not the same, but better than nothing...

Dudy - you sir, have a large pair of balls. I'm a huge fan of Bourbon at a game, but not at yesterday's game...

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 12:43 PM
My company's safety guy always says that if you're gong to be in the heat for the day to drink a large sports drink in the morning and and one after lunch and drink water the rest of the day. I'm not a fan of sport drinks, so I ate 2 bags of salted peanuts. Not the same, but better than nothing...

Dudy - you sir, have a large pair of balls. I'm a huge fan of Bourbon at a game, but not at yesterday's game...

More stupid than balls but I appreciate the love haha.

I know I'm not the only one with a red "v" on my chest from where my shirt was unbuttoned

HereComesTheSpiral
09-07-2014, 01:14 PM

I dont really care for sports drinks and have to buy the ones that are really watered down. Funny you mention the peanuts, overseas they wanted us to eat a bag or two of potato chips a day because it was the quickest way to replace the salt you were losing and it helped retain water in your system. I think one thing people dont realize about high temperatures is the most important thing is actually eating, not drinking fluids. Lots of people actually overhydrate when they know they will be in the heat for long periods of time, bit they just made the situation worse because they have thrown off the electrolyte balance.