PDA

View Full Version : For people complaining about the secondary, well they were horrible today. However,

Saltydog
09-06-2014, 05:36 PM
what no one is saying is that our DL failed to get pressure on their QB today. We had ONE sack today. Pityful! He had time to sit back there in the pocket and let those receivers get downfield. That's particularly worrisome. It has to change if we're gonna have any kind of success in league play. Some of this on the DL. Some of it is on Mullen for playing the "1B" defense so much. He needs to get his head outta his ass.

Coach34
09-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Our starting D gave up 10 points today....nothing to see here

HoopsDawg
09-06-2014, 06:05 PM

We don't have a starting D, we have a 1A and a 1B remember? Our coaches have fallen in love with this "rolling everyone thru" concept. The truth is, you need to roll D-linemen, but no one rotates the back 7 like we do.

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2014, 06:05 PM

I think there is something to see here. We're supposedly an elite sec d. The second string of an elite sec d does not give up points and yards like that to a horrific CUSA team. A first team elite sec d doesn't give up 10 more than likely. No way to spin that performance into a positive.

Saltydog
09-06-2014, 06:11 PM
CUSA team? I think so.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2014, 06:15 PM

You're reaching.

DudyDawg
09-06-2014, 06:17 PM

You're right. Nothing to see. As long as we never have to sub, we will be great!! It's UAB. There's a lot to see here. Piss poor from the subs and DL

mstatefan91
09-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Mullen on defense

Mullen: "I’ll be with that defensive staff very, very early. To give up over 400 yards passing is embarrassing."

Coach34
09-06-2014, 06:41 PM
UAB is gonna win C-USA

When we had the starters in- they were crushing their ass.

Statecoachingblows**
09-06-2014, 06:46 PM
We have a D lineman leading the team in INTs. We are also averaging 48 points a game, we have also reverted back to ignorant play calls, substitutions, and lack luster focus on D as a whole.

hailmari
09-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Four plays made the difference. If not for those, we have no reason to bring the heat. They weren't doing much outside of that.

DudyDawg
09-06-2014, 06:49 PM
UAB is gonna win C-USA

When we had the starters in- they were crushing their ass.

If only we knew what our d could do to a CUSA champion.... Oh. Wait.

I don't care if our 1B is out there. We were bad, plain and simple.

Bmac played into the fourth too, by the way. It wasn't like we sat all our starters when we struggled

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Four plays made the difference. If not for those, we have no reason to bring the heat. They weren't doing much outside of that.

And if my aunt had balls...

We had a long pass or two as well. They are part of the game.

Vandelay Industries
09-06-2014, 07:01 PM
I had to work so I missed the game, but were really rotating D when the game was still in doubt?

CadaverDawg
09-06-2014, 07:04 PM
I had to work so I missed the game, but were really rotating D when the game was still in doubt?

Oh hell yes. We had the entire 2nd team O and D in on the second series. It was one of Mullen's worst coaching jobs...and that's saying something.

Vandelay Industries
09-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Also what's with the switching of the QB's every other drive? What the hell is Mullen doing?

BulldogBear
09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Actually, I did say it in another thread. I said the only real concern I had was secondary but then I noted that I was still waiting on our DL to really get pressure on a QB. I said they have bright moments but our pass rush is not really that scary. Pressure, when we got it today, was from blitzes for the most part, not DL push.

bluelightstar
09-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Oh hell yes. We had the entire 2nd team O and D in on the second series. It was one of Mullen's worst coaching jobs...and that's saying something.

I'm used to that kind of stuff from him. The mind-boggling part is that we kept rotating the QBs/offense until UAB took the lead in the 2nd, even though it was already apparent Damian was not going to be moving the ball on them.

Vandelay Industries
09-06-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm used to that kind of stuff from him. The mind-boggling part is that we kept rotating the QBs/offense until UAB took the lead in the 2nd, even though it was already apparent Damian was not going to be moving the ball on them.

The changing of the QB's makes no sense to me, I would have lost it if I was at game today

shoeless joe
09-06-2014, 08:06 PM
On 1 TD Calhoun got beat, plain and simple. No safety and he was beaten. On 2nd one Redmond was in position to make the play but just didn't do it. 3rd long TD was against the 3rd or 4th string corner. Those 3 plays accounted for almost 250
yards. Add in the other long pass and that's almost 300 yards...I believe Redmond was beat on that as well but not certain.

No way to sugar coat the fact that we didn't perform as we expected or should have. However, that one game will not make or break us. I do wish dan would get his head out of his ass, and I also think UAB may be a pretty decent team this yr. time will tell...

bluelightstar
09-06-2014, 08:20 PM
On 1 TD Calhoun got beat, plain and simple. No safety and he was beaten. On 2nd one Redmond was in position to make the play but just didn't do it. 3rd long TD was against the 3rd or 4th string corner. Those 3 plays accounted for almost 250
yards. Add in the other long pass and that's almost 300 yards...I believe Redmond was beat on that as well but not certain.

No way to sugar coat the fact that we didn't perform as we expected or should have. However, that one game will not make or break us. I do wish dan would get his head out of his ass, and I also think UAB may be a pretty decent team this yr. time will tell...

The long TD that UAB got in the 3rd quarter was great coverage by Redmond. Seemed like he got greedy and tried to pick the ball off, but he got outmuscled by the receiver. When you're alone back there, I think you probably want to knock that ball down.

bulldawg28
09-06-2014, 08:30 PM
The long TD that UAB got in the 3rd quarter was great coverage by Redmond. Seemed like he got greedy and tried to pick the ball off, but he got outmuscled by the receiver. When you're alone back there, I think you probably want to knock that ball down.

Definitely true. He tried to pick the ball over his shoulder instead of facing the ball at its highest point. Also, the heat makes bitches out of us all.

tupelopix
09-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Another thing I noticed that should be different by the time we suit up for LSU--blitzing. I don't think we ran blitz packages hardly at all today. If we did, I missed it. Which is quite possible because I was down on the field shooting photos and it was so hot I think my brain is fried.

MarketingBully01
09-06-2014, 08:43 PM

That was that QBs first game (the throwing QB) and first time to play for UAB. Our defensive coaches game planned for a ground attack since UAB mostly grinded it out and rushed it against Troy. Heck, their first string QB sucks at throwing and that showed up.

With that said, two of the Hail Mary's should have been knocked away and Will was in position both times. He just went for the ball instead of knocking it away.

If we play Dak the entire first half, that game is a blow out and Damien plays most of the second half anyway. We let them hang around because A) poor game plan coaching by Dan and B) lack of adjustment by Collins on their one Hail Mary play. That about sums it up. I don't think we suck now. I just think we played like shit and coached like shit and still win by 13.

Saltydog
09-06-2014, 08:46 PM
hell yeah it's embarrassing but some of it is his own damn fault. Quit rotating entire units out and run subs in individually.

Dawgtini
09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I think there is something to see here. We're supposedly an elite sec d. The second string of an elite sec d does not give up points and yards like that to a horrific CUSA team. A first team elite sec d doesn't give up 10 more than likely. No way to spin that performance into a positive.

Horrific?? Did you watch the game??!! UAB is well coached and will win a lot of games this year. May win CUSA if they play like they did today.

Dawgtini
09-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Definitely true. He tried to pick the ball over his shoulder instead of facing the ball at its highest point. Also, the heat makes bitches out of us all.
Two or three more fingers and Redmond would have an INT.