PDA

View Full Version : I miss the days of us having

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 09:06 PM
A big ole, physical offensive line, and a bruiser that can carry the ball 30 times and run for 200+, like Pittsburgh has tonight.

But, I like that we are still winning. I'm just a fan of that style of Offense.

Never been a big fan of rotating backs the way most college and pro teams do these days. I know it makes a lot of sense physically, but watching a guy like JJ Johnson demoralize a defense was just a beautiful thing to witness

Pollodawg
09-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I know what you're saying. But I am cool with changing as the game changes. I love the fact that Dan is moving us to the HUNH. Why? Because it works. Look at Auburn last season. They weren't as talented as Bama, UGA, TAMU, but the speed at which they play basically negated a lot of their deficiencies.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 09:15 PM
I know what you're saying. But I am cool with changing as the game changes. I love the fact that Dan is moving us to the HUNH. Why? Because it works. Look at Auburn last season. They weren't as talented as Bama, UGA, TAMU, but the speed at which they play basically negated a lot of their deficiencies.

Yep, I agree. I am cool with adapting, I just miss the old, run it down your throat, style of offense like we used to run in the Sherrill days. That's why I'm hoping we get back to running the ball this weekend a little more....watching Dak and JRob and Shump just plow forward and try to out man the competition is fun when we get rolling.

BrunswickDawg
09-05-2014, 09:20 PM
When you grew up in the world of wishbone offenses and 5 yards and a cloud of dust, it can be hard. I had conversation yesterday with a friend, and both of us talked about missing a good old fashioned toss- sweep behind a pulling guard.

Pollodawg
09-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Yep, I agree. I am cool with adapting, I just miss the old, run it down your throat, style of offense like we used to run in the Sherrill days. That's why I'm hoping we get back to running the ball this weekend a little more....watching Dak and JRob and Shump just plow forward and try to out man the competition is fun when we get rolling.

I think we'll see more of that as the season progresses, and we need it. Dan isn't about to risk an unnecessary injury when Dak is throwing BBs, and the RBs are moving the ball well without the threat of the QB run. When we get into SEC play, I expect to see a lot more diamond formation where it basically turns into "doggy, doggy, whose got the bone" is you'll forgive a corny pun. When you got Dak, Shump, Griffin, and Jrob, you can't account for all of them. The D has to gamble on which one will actually get the rock and when you gamble, you eventually lose.

But, yeah, at heart, I'm a power run, five yards and a cloud of dust, guy myself. But it is what it is, and that just isn't modern football.

FlabLoser
09-05-2014, 09:24 PM

I'm calling it now. Belima will hit it big at Arkansas. As defenses get small and fast to defend the spread, the cutting edge in football will become smash mouth stuff that runs over small defenses.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm calling it now. Belima will hit it big at Arkansas. As defenses get small and fast to defend the spread, the cutting edge in football will become smash mouth stuff that runs over small defenses.

I tend to agree with you. That's why I like Dan's style so much. He runs a physical, smash mouth, spread. Kind of like the beefy version of Auburn with a little less hurry up. I think our offense can withstand the test of time and transition back into a more pro style system if that's where everything goes back to eventually.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 09:28 PM
I think we'll see more of that as the season progresses, and we need it. Dan isn't about to risk an unnecessary injury when Dak is throwing BBs, and the RBs are moving the ball well without the threat of the QB run. When we get into SEC play, I expect to see a lot more diamond formation where it basically turns into "doggy, doggy, whose got the bone" is you'll forgive a corny pun. When you got Dak, Shump, Griffin, and Jrob, you can't account for all of them. The D has to gamble on which one will actually get the rock and when you gamble, you eventually lose.

But, yeah, at heart, I'm a power run, five yards and a cloud of dust, guy myself. But it is what it is, and that just isn't modern football.

I hope you're right. And I think you are. But I remember a few years ago when we thought Dan was "holding back" on several things, but he obviously wasn't because we never revealed them. I really hope we run a lot of diamond formation this year. Our offense has the weapons to be down right impossible to defend

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Ummmm.....we DO run it down your throat. So does Auburn. We just don't do it in a pro style offense. There's a difference in pace and physicality. We've still got big, physical, nasty OL. We average 300+ up front. As for rotating backs, those 25-30 carries a week RBs don't come along often anymore. I think J-Rob could handle it, but why ride him that hard when you have Shump & Griff who can help share the load and save him some hits?

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Ummmm.....we DO run it down your throat. So does Auburn. We just don't do it in a pro style offense. There's a difference in pace and physicality. We've still got big, physical, nasty OL. We average 300+ up front. As for rotating backs, those 25-30 carries a week RBs don't come along often anymore. I think J-Rob could handle it, but why ride him that hard when you have Shump & Griff who can help share the load and save him some hits?

Dude, did you miss what I said? I said I'm cool with adapting, but I used to love watching it. Didn't say what we have now doesn't work. And NO, we don't have the same big, physical linemen that I'm talking about. They're big....but we used to have the best OL's in the country.

We've got some uptight ****ers on the board today and tonight. Nobody is bad mouthing the almighty Hev in this thread....just saying I miss those teams...not that what we have isn't just as good or better....I just enjoy watching that style. Where a big ole RB carries the load.

IMissJack
09-05-2014, 09:35 PM
You may be right about Ark, but they better have a good defense to go with that power running game or they won't be able to score quick or enough to keep up with someone like A&M or other good hurry ups.

SDDawg
I like the current group we have, we're moving in the right direction.

CadaverDawg
What you guys think of the sig pic? Be honest. Defiantdog hooked me up with it. Don't know how to make it larger

War Machine Dawg

Been saying for a while I thought Bielema was a great hire. His offense fits the talent base in Arkansas perfectly. They've always got big, physical, nasty OLs and physical RBs. Where they struggle is finding a QB, but that's minimized in his offense.

CadaverDawg
You may be right about Ark, but they better have a good defense to go with that power running game or they won't be able to score quick or enough to keep up with someone like A&M or other good hurry ups.

If you hold on to the ball, you don't need to score quick or often

Todd4State
09-05-2014, 09:40 PM
A big ole, physical offensive line, and a bruiser that can carry the ball 30 times and run for 200+, like Pittsburgh has tonight.

Never been a big fan of rotating backs the way most college and pro teams do these days. I know it makes a lot of sense physically, but watching a guy like JJ Johnson demoralize a defense was just a beautiful thing to witness

I LOVE big physical RB's like JJ. But the original plan was for it to be Keefer and JJ. Sadly, Keefer passed away as we all know. And that's also why JJ got worn down at the end of 1998. We gave him the ball 25-30 or more times a game and it was too much for his style.

I'm with you in that I love the pro style offenses as well. But I think you could be a HUNH team with a big RB. Texas A&M has a pretty big back in Melena for example- at least he looks big to me.

I loved Jackie's o-lines too that were massive. The hard part if finding people that are that massive and athletic to handle playing o-line.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 09:44 PM
I LOVE big physical RB's like JJ. But the original plan was for it to be Keefer and JJ. Sadly, Keefer passed away as we all know. And that's also why JJ got worn down at the end of 1998. We gave him the ball 25-30 or more times a game and it was too much for his style.

I'm with you in that I love the pro style offenses as well. But I think you could be a HUNH team with a big RB. Texas A&M has a pretty big back in Melena for example- at least he looks big to me.

I loved Jackie's o-lines too that were massive. The hard part if finding people that are that massive and athletic to handle playing o-line.

Yep, I agree. Hoping Shump and/or Aeris can be that big bruiser to go along with JRob and Dak.

defiantdog
09-05-2014, 10:05 PM
What you guys think of the sig pic? Be honest. Defiantdog hooked me up with it. Don't know how to make it larger

Here it is larger.... http://i59.tinypic.com/iyeh06.jpg

defiantdog
09-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Come to think about it.... I think it would sound better as "Stars don't win championship, teams do"

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Come to think about it.... I think it would sound better as "Stars don't win championship, teams do"

Can you change it to that?

engie
09-05-2014, 10:16 PM

Small and fast isn't necessarily the key to defending the spread IMO... It's using hybrid defenders. Basically a defense that needs 3, maybe 4, freaks. You need a Matt Wells that can be a S, NB, or LB, a McKinney that can be a LB or DE, a CJ that can be a DE or DT, and a Nick James that can dominate you at DT or truly be a NT in the 3-4.

Being multiple within personnel groupings without substitution = successfully defending the spread. The whole point in the hurry up is catching a team with an exploitable matchup on the field and then keeping them out there/not letting them sub that guy out. You don't have an exploitable matchup -- you can play the hurry up against itself. You confuse them with the different looks instead of letting them confuse you.

Oregon tried the "small and fast" thing on defense for a little while -- and then LSU happened. Look at them now -- sure not small anymore.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140906-uohk-40kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140906-uohk-40kb)

Bielema is trying to run pro-style in a state that doesn't produce enough talent to do it like LSU and Bama do. He's a square peg in a round hole. I thought it was a head scratching hire at the time and still do. Time will tell for sure though.

MSUDawg4Life
09-05-2014, 10:44 PM

It doesn't make sense. Fred Ross is was a 4-star player.

Might be better with a lower star player in the pic. After we win a championship ....

JMHO

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 10:50 PM
It doesn't make sense. Fred Ross is was a 4-star player.

Might be better with a lower star player in the pic. After we win a championship ....

JMHO

True about Ross, ha.

Liverpooldawg
09-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Yep. This stuff goes in cycles. If everyone is small and fast on defense big ole smash mouth boys on offense would be unstoppable.

Dawg61
09-05-2014, 11:52 PM
Yep. This stuff goes in cycles. If everyone is small and fast on defense big ole smash mouth boys on offense would be unstoppable.

Agree accept for one major issue and the biggest reason all these teams went to these new nascar offenses. The clock rules. It's too risky to fully commit to the slow ground and pound style because you'll be significantly reducing possessions/snaps and this style allows the opposition the opportunity to sub and call new plays. With 85 players on rosters and the new clock rules this is a cycle I don't see coming back around anytime soon.

Bully Dee Williams
09-06-2014, 12:38 AM
I don't miss the days of us having below average to mediocre if we're lucky QBs.

KB21
09-06-2014, 07:40 AM

His workload in college probably contributed to JJ's short NFL career. I just knew he would be a stud for Miami, which is the team I follow. I remember that year, Jimmy Johnson drafted JJ Johnson, Rob Konrad, and Cecil Collins in an attempt to find a running back that could carry the ball the way he wanted it to be carried. JJ had chronic hamstring issues, and Cecil was a deviant. Konrad was pretty good, but he wasn't the type of runner from the FB position that many thought he would be.

engie
09-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Yeah, speaking of workloads -- that is really why I'm rarely in favor of redshirting RBs... They've just got such a finite amount of time they can play before injuries start catching up to them. It is the one position that I'm just not sure that redshirting is usually "what is best for those players"...

yjnkdawg
09-06-2014, 10:40 AM
I don't miss the days of us having below average to mediocre if we're lucky QBs.

+1

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Davis & Bouie, now that was a wicked combo.