PDA

View Full Version : Is Florida State CTA with this investigation or is it a legit one?

Jack Lambert
09-05-2014, 12:56 PM
What do you think this is about? [ I wasn't sure which forum to post this.]

Chip
09-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Your question is a good one. From what I've read, the Justice Dept is pushing these Title IX investigations hard upon the various Universities. The University of Oklahoma has a starting middle LB (Frank Shannon) currently suspended for the year by the University's student conduct board for an alleged Title IX incident in which there was no sexual intercourse, and Shannon wasn't charged with anything by the DA. Shannon has hired an attorney and has appealed his suspension in the Oklahoma court system. It's currently before the Oklahoma Supreme Court, but he's apparently suspended until the Oklahoma SC makes a ruling. I've read in that case that the University is "protecting itself" because of the Title IX issues. I'd also read about 6 weeks ago, when some were commenting on the OU case (and many of the fans were pointing out Tallahassee authorities and FSU just swept the Winston case under the rug), that FSU was under a lot of pressure to open a Title IX investigation.

starkvegasdawg
09-05-2014, 01:57 PM
FSU will investigate this every bit as hard as tsun investigated those emails.

Chip
09-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Vegas - you may be right about FSU's effort regarding the Title IX investigation. They may be just doing some window dressing to say to the DOJ they investigated. Here's an example of some of the information I've read as to Oklahoma's Shannon case from a Sooner board that I allude to in my prior post:

"Interesting bit about Shannon
Ran into an old friend at the game, he works for the university in the higher levels of the administration. Boren is taking a real hard line on the Title 9 stuff. He told me there has been several incidents not involving athletes that the university has handled the same way. The dept of justice is putting a lot of pressure on universities to take sexual assaults seriously and show real enforcement outside of the legal process. He even told me that there is another scandal involving one of the service academies that has yet to make headlines but it's only a matter of time until it does. When it does, the shit is going to hit the fan and Boren is determined that the school will be able to show real progress and not get the attention of the DOJ. What's interesting is that this is coming directly from Boren, many in the council's office have disagreed with the way the Shannon case has been handled and one of the Title 9 officers actually left to take a teaching position at the law school because of it. Sounds like Shannon is a victim of really bad timing and the administrations zero tolerance attitude and the university is not going to change it's stance without a court order. What's also interesting is some are hoping OU loses in the supreme court case, that will give them some cover to maybe handle the case a little differently. At any rate, I thought it was pretty interesting."