PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Parking Advice

Dawg496
09-05-2014, 11:39 AM
So my wife is pregnant and walking from the paid lot by the student health center to DWS in the rain didn't make her very happy last week. Does anyone have any advice on how to park closer or possibly facilitate a ride for her from our parking spot?

TheRef
09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
So my wife is pregnant and walking from the paid lot by the student health center to DWS in the rain didn't make her very happy last week. Does anyone have any advice on how to park closer or possibly facilitate a ride for her from our parking spot?

If you have twitter, tweet at @HailStateOps and ask if they could send a golf cart to carry you an your wife.

Dawg496
09-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks @TheRef. I'll give it a try.

godlluB
09-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Park in the Research park or downtown and take a shuttle?

starkvegasdawg
09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Or I heard they will be running the shuttles again. You can park at the newspaper and catch the shuttle there. They will drop you off close to the stadium...forgot the building. Then after the game you go back to that location and they will pick you up and drop you back off at the newspaper building. A lot less walking and no fee to park. Possible downside is you may have to stand in line for about an hour after the game to catch the shuttle again. Not sure if your wife being pregnant could handle that or not.

TheRef
09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Park in the Research park or downtown and take a shuttle?

Speaking of shuttles, they are increasing the number of shuttles due to the sheer demand of them.

reddog
09-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Speaking of shuttles, they are increasing the number of shuttles due to the sheer demand of them.

yes

reddog
09-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Or I heard they will be running the shuttles again. You can park at the newspaper and catch the shuttle there. They will drop you off close to the stadium...forgot the building. Then after the game you go back to that location and they will pick you up and drop you back off at the newspaper building. A lot less walking and no fee to park. Possible downside is you may have to stand in line for about an hour after the game to catch the shuttle again. Not sure if your wife being pregnant could handle that or not.

they drop you off across the street from mcArthur/nw corner of stadium btw they have increased the #of shuttles

starkvegasdawg
09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
I know they needed to increase the number. I was at the first game of the year last year when it was so horribly hot and an elderly lady passed out from the heat waiting in line. It was certainly a day that tested your ability to withstand heat. It really made me shake my head at the number of parents that brought their babies to that game. I know it was in the mid 90's that day and who knows what the heat index was.

Jack Lambert
09-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Theres usually one riding around all the time looking for handi cap and elderly folks. You can also ask the person taking the money could they radio to someone to come get her.

DawgHouseUnited
09-05-2014, 12:58 PM
The research park shuttles stop by the Hump, it's still a couple hundred yards through RV country to get to the stadium.

DawgHouseUnited
09-05-2014, 12:59 PM
If you have twitter, tweet at @HailStateOps and ask if they could send a golf cart to carry you an your wife.

I've sent them one asking about the grass lots as well- no answer yet though.

TheRef
09-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I've sent them one asking about the grass lots as well- no answer yet though.

Grass lot parking probably won't be determined until early tomorrow morning.

Mjoelner34
09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Grass lot parking probably won't be determined until early tomorrow morning.

Or until after you've set up in an open grass lot and called/texted all of your friends to let them know where you are tailgating only to have them close it so your friends can't get there.

I think they need to pay attention to TheRef's forecast when making their decision. Instead it seems like they're playing it by ear and making decisions at the last possible moment and then sometimes even change that decision. Even though I only live 2 miles from campus, I get there between 7:30 and 8am just to get 'my spot' since it's first come first serve. If the weather is questionable, I always check the website and/or call them to verify that my lot is open before I leave the house. Last week there was no news on the website and nobody answered the phone. I went and parked in my spot and waited before setting up until I finally found someone that verified the lot was open. After I was set up and the gate keeper got there, he let in about 10 vehicles before they closed it (they let the ones already there stay). My thing is, did the forecast change that much in 30 minutes? I'm guessing not since I had already seen TheRef's forecast on here and had checked it that morning myself. So why open the lot in the first place if you're just going to shut down after 30 minutes? Last year the guy running the gate at Bully Grass told me a call came over the radio on the white bus that drops the workers off that said Bully Grass was open so he was dropped off there, opened up and started letting people in. Not 5 minutes later a guy comes by in a university golf cart and asked him why he's there and letting people in because that lot is closed and was never supposed to be open. I can't figure out if 5 people are in charge or if nobody is in charge.

Todd4State
09-05-2014, 03:48 PM
I was told that they had three shuttles break down last weekend and that was the culprit.

TheRef
09-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Or until after you've set up in an open grass lot and called/texted all of your friends to let them know where you are tailgating only to have them close it so your friends can't get there.

I think they need to pay attention to TheRef's forecast when making their decision. Instead it seems like they're playing it by ear and making decisions at the last possible moment and then sometimes even change that decision. Even though I only live 2 miles from campus, I get there between 7:30 and 8am just to get 'my spot' since it's first come first serve. If the weather is questionable, I always check the website and/or call them to verify that my lot is open before I leave the house. Last week there was no news on the website and nobody answered the phone. I went and parked in my spot and waited before setting up until I finally found someone that verified the lot was open. After I was set up and the gate keeper got there, he let in about 10 vehicles before they closed it (they let the ones already there stay). My thing is, did the forecast change that much in 30 minutes? I'm guessing not since I had already seen TheRef's forecast on here and had checked it that morning myself. So why open the lot in the first place if you're just going to shut down after 30 minutes? Last year the guy running the gate at Bully Grass told me a call came over the radio on the white bus that drops the workers off that said Bully Grass was open so he was dropped off there, opened up and started letting people in. Not 5 minutes later a guy comes by in a university golf cart and asked him why he's there and letting people in because that lot is closed and was never supposed to be open. I can't figure out if 5 people are in charge or if nobody is in charge.

Okay. I can explain all of this to you. I have a friend that is in charge of all of the parking on campus during game days. All parking security is run by Event Operations Group. They are advised by the University Meteorologist who advises both the University and the Athletic Department to changes in and around the field. The reason why the grass lots were not closed when you arrived is for one reason. They didn't know how much rain was going to fall and how quickly it would fall. Once it became evident that it was going to be raining hard and in a large amount, the call was sent to close down the grass lots. I know the University's Meteorologist (he's a professor within the Meteorology Department) and he's very knowledgeable. Once he gives the forecast, it's out of his hands. He simply tells the University on what the forecast/radar situation is and he gives his recommendation. Once he gives his recommendation and forecast, it is up to the University, Event Operations Group, and Athletic Department to determine whether the risk outweighs the rewards to leave the grass lots open. They also consult facilities management who is in charge of the maintenance of all grounds on campus. After they have all discussed the options and have made a decision, then they tell Event Operations Group. EOG then goes over the radio to all personnel who are manning the grass lots and tells them to shut it down. My friend, who is in charge of parking, had many incidents of pissed off fans that were mad that they couldn't park in the grass lots. He even had to tow a person who left their car because they were so mad. Chain of command is as follows

University (President, Facilities Management, Meteorology) -- Event Operations Group Management -- EOG workers

That's the situation as I understand it and have been told by my friend.

Also, the forecast did change quickly as the intensity of the system was a lot stronger than we anticipated at the time and the fact that the ground became saturated so quickly.

Dawg496
09-05-2014, 04:19 PM
They got back to me and said to call 325-9114 15 minutes prior to arrange a pickup.. just FYI for anyone else needing a similar service.