PDA

View Full Version : Word on the Street is....

UMCDawg16
09-05-2014, 09:03 AM
According to Paul Jones of 24/7 sports, Jamoral Graham is going to be dressed out this week and is expected to get significant PT on special teams, most likely returning punts. Jamoral has been blowing up FB lately talking about how much he is improving and how excited he is about playing. I like this move by the staff. He is explosive.

Coach34
09-05-2014, 09:06 AM
I'd rather see Beckwith return punts before sticking Holloway back there again. Graham could be a solid back-up PR guy

msstate7
09-05-2014, 09:09 AM
I'd rather see Beckwith return punts before sticking Holloway back there again. Graham could be a solid back-up PR guy

Back up to who? Lewis and holloway are absolutely horrid as PR's

IMissJack
09-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I do not understand our lack of ability in the KR game. I know a lot of these skill people returned kicks/punts in high school.

Political Hack
09-05-2014, 09:16 AM
I do not understand our lack of ability in the KR game. I know a lot of these skill people returned kicks/punts in high school.

If Will had more than 8 fingers it would help, but until that happens we need more help. We've got plenty that can return kicks, but returning a punt is a whole 'nother ball game.

engie
09-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Good! Excited about this move and thought it should have been made in the first place with all the slots coming next year and little returning experience...

maroonmania
09-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Back up to who? Lewis and holloway are absolutely horrid as PR's

Well at least Tubby has gotten good at actually catching the ball. Anyone like Holloway who was moved from WR because of bad hands has no business trying to field punts.

Dawgheadcheese
09-05-2014, 09:19 AM
It has to be lack of emphasis in practice - which is almost impossible to believe could happen at an SEC program. I have never, ever seen a more dismal punt return game by a Division 1 program. And when asked about it, Mullen acts as if he is surprised that they did so poorly in the game. It really is a mystery.

msstate7
09-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Well at least Tubby has gotten good at actually catching the ball. Anyone like Holloway who was moved from WR because of bad hands has no business trying to field punts.
Lewis lets way too many punts hit the ground. I'd love to have an explosive returner, but I'd settle for a guy that will fair catch one in a crowd to save field position

IMissJack
09-05-2014, 09:23 AM
IMO this is one of the overlooked things about the Kang's success at MSU. Sure he had good defenses, but our special teams were usually very good also. They were good enough to make a positive difference in many games. Now our ST's are bad enough to make a negative difference in many games.

Dawgfan77
09-05-2014, 09:29 AM

I'm not sure I understand our ST all together

maroonmania
09-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Lewis lets way too many punts hit the ground. I'd love to have an explosive returner, but I'd settle for a guy that will fair catch one in a crowd to save field position

When Holloway comes out there to catch punts all I think is I would settle for someone that won't turn the ball over.

Bo Darville
09-05-2014, 09:33 AM

This is it exactly. The returns are not the problem. The problem is issues such as letting one roll for 20 yards that should have been a fair catch.

starkvegasdawg
09-05-2014, 09:33 AM
It really does suck that at a SEC program, especially one that could make some real noise this year, that all of our buttholes pucker up any time we go to kick a field goal or field a punt. I'm lack you, MSState, while I would love to be able to average 10-15 yards a return, just get someone back there that can catch the ball and not muff half of them or not be able to get to the ball and let it bounce another 25 yards. These are freaking fundamentals of the game. Call me a woe is me MSU fan but I am scared to death that some stupid mistake on special teams is going to cost us a big win this season. If we lose to an LSU or Alabama or A&M because we missed a FG or muffed a punt I am going to be severely pissed.

notoriousdog
09-05-2014, 09:36 AM
This is it exactly. The returns are not the problem. The problem is issues such as letting one roll for 20 yards that should have been a fair catch.

Our guys look poorly coached in this aspect. If it's a low line drive kick, you have to come up and take it off the bounce. If it's a situation where the other team is trying to pin you deep, put your heels on the 10 yard line and come up and fair catch anything in front of you. A floating kick should never hit at the 20-25 and roll inside the 10. We have to get under those and save field position.

mic
09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I may be in the minority here. But I want Aries to play.. If he is ready and as good as advertised we need all the backs ready for SEC play. One injury and we become very thin at RB. And we need to JRob fresh for late in the season..

msstate7
09-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I may be in the minority here. But I want Aries to play.. If he is ready and as good as advertised we need all the backs ready for SEC play. One injury and we become very thin at RB. And we need to JRob fresh for late in the season..
I'd hold off until we get a look at shump first

justwin
09-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Nice. Gabe Myles needs a shot on punt returns as well

According to Paul Jones of 24/7 sports, Jamoral Graham is going to be dressed out this week and is expected to get significant PT on special teams, most likely returning punts. Jamoral has been blowing up FB lately talking about how much he is improving and how excited he is about playing. I like this move by the staff. He is explosive.

Really Clark?
09-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Our guys look poorly coached in this aspect. If it's a low line drive kick, you have to come up and take it off the bounce. If it's a situation where the other team is trying to pin you deep, put your heels on the 10 yard line and come up and fair catch anything in front of you. A floating kick should never hit at the 20-25 and roll inside the 10. We have to get under those and save field position.

I might disagree somewhat that it's just coaching. Banks did a very good job in PR but many people, at the time, second guessed using Banks because he wasn't explosive. Same coaching then with him. I do think however that to be really good on ST (outside of the kickers) you have to really spend a lot of time on that part of the game. We are not bad with every phase of ST but the ones we are bad in we are really bad.

maroonmania
09-05-2014, 09:52 AM
I might disagree somewhat that it's just coaching. Banks did a very good job in PR but many people, at the time, second guessed using Banks because he wasn't explosive. Same coaching then with him. I do think however that to be really good on ST (outside of the kickers) you have to really spend a lot of time on that part of the game. We are not bad with every phase of ST but the ones we are bad in we are really bad.

I thought Chad Bumphis was decent at it as well.

tcdog70
09-05-2014, 09:53 AM
on my highschool team if you let a punt hit the ground you no longer were a punt returner. There is no excuse for our shitty punt returning. At least catch the ball. Slay was the leading punt returner in all of JUCO but Dan never let Him return any-

Really Clark?
09-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I thought Chad Bumphis was decent at it as well.

I agree with that as well.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 10:07 AM
on my highschool team if you let a punt hit the ground you no longer were a punt returner. There is no excuse for our shitty punt returning. At least catch the ball. Slay was the leading punt returner in all of JUCO but Dan never let Him return any-

This.

We obviously spend zero time working on punt return. It's as if Dan is content with PR not losing the game for us. To hell with it actually being a benefit. It will take PR actually being the reason for a loss before we see a change. Same with FG's

DudyDawg
09-05-2014, 10:11 AM
If we aren't going to put someone in who will catch it, screw it. Send all 11 to block it. I mean what's the point of continually sending out a return man that will either let it drop and roll or muff it. It's ridiculous how average (at best) we look on ST

mic
09-05-2014, 10:18 AM
I'd hold off until we get a look at shump first

Shump is going to be fine and help tremendously and may be a stud before he is done here but we need Aries ready and if we have to pull the redshirt I would like him to have a few reps and game day experience before we hit that huge 3 game stretch... And plus if he is ready lets play him.. Need playmakers in the backfield...

Westdawg
09-05-2014, 10:23 AM
the thing you need in a punt returner is this ONE THING ----------- NO FEAR

that sounds easy, but when you KNOW that you are about to have your head nearly decapitated as soon as you catch it, even the best of sticky-fingered returners quake a little in their cleats. there is nothing worse than to know that you are about to be de-cleated and have your dick knocked in the dirt than to be a punt returner.

DudyDawg
09-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Shump is going to be fine and help tremendously and may be a stud before he is done here but we need Aries ready and if we have to pull the redshirt I would like him to have a few reps and game day experience before we hit that huge 3 game stretch... And plus if he is ready lets play him.. Need playmakers in the backfield...

I see what you're saying about needing him ready next year and in case of injury, but say no one gets seriously hurt back there. We burn a year on Williams just so he can get two trash carries a game and a few special teams tackles? I don't think it's worth it

ETA: running back is one of those positions that you can come in and make an impact without experience. Meaning, as a red shirt freshman he will have more value (ability to contribute and 4 years to do it) than as a sophmore with less years and similar contribution

UMCDawg16
09-05-2014, 10:24 AM
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised tomorrow when they see Shump. You don't see many RBs with his size, speed and mentality. He is the definition of a workhorse. He's going to be a stud. STUD.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Any chance we could be bringing Graham up now so that he can take Holloway's spot? Not just on PR, but out of the backfield in that Harvin role as well? Just a thought.

As bad as Holloway looked on PR, and considering he's not a receiving threat out of the backfield due to bad hands...seems it could be a good spot for Smokey. I mean, what good is a speedster out of the backfield anyway if you can't use him in the passing game? Darren Sproles wouldn't be shit if he couldn't catch.

I'm probably off on this thinking, but it popped in my head so I thought I'd get others opinions

DudyDawg
09-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Any chance we could be bringing Graham up now so that he can take Holloway's spot? Not just on PR, but out of the backfield in that Harvin role as well? Just a thought.

As bad as Holloway looked on PR, and considering he's not a receiving threat out of the backfield due to bad hands...seems it could be a good spot for Smokey. I mean, what good is a speedster out of the backfield anyway if you can't use him in the passing game? Darren Sproles wouldn't be shit if he couldn't catch.

I'm probably off in this, but it popped in my head so I thought I'd get others opinions

I didn't think of that, but you're right. I don't know how graham is running, but if he's as fast and explosive as we think he could be good on those sweeps and quick passes. It's pretty clear holloway isn't a game breaker at that spot, why not see if graham is

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 10:29 AM
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised tomorrow when they see Shump. You don't see many RBs with his size, speed and mentality. He is the definition of a workhorse. He's going to be a stud. STUD.

Hope you're right. I've always thought if Shump was a step faster, he has the potential to be a Gurley-type of back

DudyDawg
09-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Agreed. I think shump will be most effective late in the game. With he and Jrob running all night (and dak), defenders will be exhausted come late game and Shump will have rotated enough to be fresh. That's when I think he will plow a lot of people

UMCDawg16
09-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Hope you're right. I've always thought if Shump was a step faster, he has the potential to be a Gurley-type of back

People always talk about how Gurley "runs angry". That's the type of mentality Shump has. He runs like he is pissed off at the defense.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 10:34 AM
People always talk about how Gurley "runs angry". That's the type of mentality Shump has. He runs like he is pissed off at the defense.

Yep, I agree. My only hesitation is the lack of speed. Last year he looked a little slow to me. But he had not even been in the strength and conditioning program for a year yet, so I'm not giving up on him regaining that speed he had in his Junior highlight video. If he regains that burst, watch out. If not, he's a fullback.

Bo Darville
09-05-2014, 11:03 AM

that sounds easy, but when you KNOW that you are about to have your head nearly decapitated as soon as you catch it, even the best of sticky-fingered returners quake a little in their cleats. there is nothing worse than to know that you are about to be de-cleated and have your dick knocked in the dirt than to be a punt returner.

Not necessarily. A fair catch eliminates that problem. You will get illegally hit occasionally (such as the USM guy hitting Jameon) and it will be a big penalty. For the most part, if you call for a fair catch, you will not get hit 99 times out of 100.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2014, 11:06 AM
This.

We obviously spend zero time working on punt return. It's as if Dan is content with PR not losing the game for us. To hell with it actually being a benefit. It will take PR actually being the reason for a loss before we see a change. Same with FG's

Unfortunately, this has ALREADY happened. And nothing has changed. Mullen just doesn't care about STs and apparently doesn't believe they make a significant difference in the outcome of a game. I've said it and I mean it: If STs cost us a W this year, Mullen's seat should be VERY warm next season. And regardless of what happens this season, Strick should force him to move Sallach off the field in the offseason and fill his position with a great ST coach. Then tell Mullen in no uncertain terms to stay out of the ST guy's way and let him to his job, the same as he does with Collins on D.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2014, 11:08 AM
If we aren't going to put someone in who will catch it, screw it. Send all 11 to block it. I mean what's the point of continually sending out a return man that will either let it drop and roll or muff it. It's ridiculous how average (at best) we look on ST

Average would be a huge improvement. We were ranked near the bottom nationally in almost every phase of STs last year outside of Punting. That's inexcusable.

Really Clark?
09-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Average would be a huge improvement. We were ranked near the bottom nationally in almost every phase of STs last year outside of Punting. That's inexcusable.

Now that's not true. Field goal kicking and punt return were at the bottom but the rest was not and our kickoff and punt return defense both were above average.

preachermatt83
09-05-2014, 11:22 AM
You are about to see a change in our PR if Smokey starts returning them. He WILL catch them and he WILL run with them. This will be a specialty for him that will be very impressive.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Now that's not true. Field goal kicking and punt return were at the bottom but the rest was not and our kickoff and punt return defense both were above average.

Incorrect. I laid out the numbers at least 2-3 times this offseason. Punt return D actually was pretty good, but I'm including that when I say "Punting." Our KO unit was near the bottom nationally. Don't want to look it up again, but if I'm remembering correctly, it was ranked in the 90s. Now to be fair, some of that has do to with our KO strategy. But it was still pretty bad.

HoopsDawg
09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
You are about to see a change in our PR if Smokey starts returning them. He WILL catch them and he WILL run with them. This will be a specialty for him that will be very impressive.

A true freshman on Punt Returns scares me. He might try and do too much to make a play. Just catch the ball.

1bigdawg
09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Our KO unit was near the bottom nationally. Don't want to look it up again, but if I'm remembering correctly, it was ranked in the 90s. Now to be fair, some of that has do to with our KO strategy.

Correct. Mullen prefers high kicks to the goal line to try to pin the opposing offense deeper. Many teams kick it to the back of the end zone and almost never have a return so their KO return stats approach zero, but the other team always starts at the 25. You can argue with the strategy, but our KO coverage unit is pretty good.

sandwolf
09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
And regardless of what happens this season, Strick should force him to move Sallach off the field in the offseason and fill his position with a great ST coach. Then tell Mullen in no uncertain terms to stay out of the ST guy's way and let him to his job, the same as he does with Collins on D.

I disagree with this. I see what you are saying and everything, and I tend to agree that Mullen needs to hire a ST coach, but I just don't think the AD should be involved with those types of decisions. The AD should make the HC aware of what is expected of him and it should be up to the HC to do what is necessary to meet those expectations. If it gets to the point that the AD has to start meddling with the AC staff, then it is time to look for a new HC.

Really Clark?
09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Incorrect. I laid out the numbers at least 2-3 times this offseason. Punt return D actually was pretty good, but I'm including that when I say "Punting." Our KO unit was near the bottom nationally. Don't want to look it up again, but if I'm remembering correctly, it was ranked in the 90s. Now to be fair, some of that has do to with our KO strategy. But it was still pretty bad.

No it was not in the 90's. Our KO defense was ranked 46th nationally and 3rd in the league last year. Most of our ST have been average to slightly above average. Not good but average as a whole but the parts that have been bad have been really bad but the defense side has been pretty descent overall. Pretty good on blocking punts and field goals as well. Not national or league leading but 3 blocks led the league last year and we had 2.

Coach34
09-05-2014, 12:04 PM

Great post Coach. That's something many fans lose sight of. You have to have great hands and some stones to be a good PR guy

Coach34
09-05-2014, 12:08 PM
No it was not in the 90's. Our KO defense was ranked 46th nationally and 3rd in the league last year. Most of our ST have been average to slightly above average. Not good but average as a whole but the parts that have been bad have been really bad but the defense side has been pretty descent overall. Pretty good on blocking punts and field goals as well. Not national or league leading but 3 blocks led the league last year and we had 2.

our coverage teams have been good for the most part. We had a couple of snap and protection issues- but overall good units.

We just have to stop letting punts hit the ground

msstate7
09-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Just catch the ball.

Well that's something lewis doesn't do a good job of. It bit us in the egg bowl and it will again if we don't get someone willing to fair catch

thf24
09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Correct. Mullen prefers high kicks to the goal line to try to pin the opposing offense deeper. Many teams kick it to the back of the end zone and almost never have a return so their KO return stats approach zero, but the other team always starts at the 25. You can argue with the strategy, but our KO coverage unit is pretty good.

The problem I have with this, besides that I feel like it's playing with fire, is that if you're aiming your kick at the goal line with the intention of erring on the short side, then chances are you're going to err way short considering you're kicking an oblong "ball" along with uncontrollable elements like wind. Seems like most of our kicks come down a lot closer to the 10 instead of the goal line. Against bad teams like USM you're still probably going to hold them to the 15 or so, as we did, but against better, faster teams, they're going to take it to at least the 20 barring a great play from a coverage guy. If kicking it short is only spotting you an extra 5 yards or less, then I say just take the safe play and boot it out. 75 yards is still a long way to drive.

Alldawg
09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
IMO, punt return is one position that coaching is not that important. You can not "coach" a kid to become a punt returner. It takes a special talent to do this. The mental part is by far the toughest part being a punt returner. I will agree that it needs to be worked on everyday in practice, but you can't coach it. Some players have it, and most don't. Just because you are fast and have moves, it does not translate into being a good return man on punts.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 12:18 PM
The problem I have with this, besides that I feel like it's playing with fire, is that if you're aiming your kick at the goal line with the intention of erring on the short side, then chances are you're going to err way short considering you're kicking an oblong "ball" along with uncontrollable elements like wind. Seems like most of our kicks come down a lot closer to the 10 instead of the goal line. Against bad teams like USM you're still probably going to hold them to the 15 or so, as we did, but against better, faster teams, they're going to take it to at least the 20 barring a great play from a coverage guy. If kicking it short is only spotting you an extra 5 yards or less, then I say just take the safe play and boot it out. 75 yards is still a long way to drive.

It's our cute kickoff shit that makes me even more pissed about our PR team. Mullen takes actual time putting in a KO strTegy that MAY benefit us with 5 yards of field position per kickoff...yet he ignores the part of our ST that costs us 20+ yards of field position EVERY PUNT.

It makes me wanna say, "Dan, cool strategy on kickoffs, but if you truly cared about details and field position, you'd focus on PR since it's a ****ing disaster".

Oh well

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 12:23 PM
IMO, punt return is one position that coaching is not that important. You can not "coach" a kid to become a punt returner. It takes a special talent to do this. The mental part is by far the toughest part being a punt returner. I will agree that it needs to be worked on everyday in practice, but you can't coach it. Some players have it, and most don't. Just because you are fast and have moves, it does not translate into being a good return man on punts.

You can coach fair catching and not letting the ball hit the ground. You can coach blocking, so that IF we actually catch one, we have an Opportunity at a small return at least. You can coach not catching it inside your 10 yard line. So yes, you can coach punt returns...you just can't coach "playmaking"....we're far from that though. We have 50 issues to work on in our PR game b4 getting to the uncoachable parts IMO.

Todd4State
09-05-2014, 12:45 PM
I just think Dan has poor insight into how bad our special teams units are sometimes. If he's making a change with Graham doing the returns, that may be a sign of progress in the insight department.

I do share the same fear that special teams may cost us a big game, and I have long held the opinion that poor special teams play is part of the reason Dan hasn't defeated very many top 20 teams.

mic
09-05-2014, 01:12 PM
I see what you're saying about needing him ready next year and in case of injury, but say no one gets seriously hurt back there. We burn a year on Williams just so he can get two trash carries a game and a few special teams tackles? I don't think it's worth it

ETA: running back is one of those positions that you can come in and make an impact without experience. Meaning, as a red shirt freshman he will have more value (ability to contribute and 4 years to do it) than as a sophmore with less years and similar contribution

This could be our year tho.. I'm not looking at what could be next year or the next..
I agree I don't want to waste his frosh year , but I just want him ready for down the road if we need him. Would be great to get the pounding and down hill running the Jrod brings and I think will bring the same thing would love to have to home run hitter in there a few plays.. If that is what Aries does bring.. If we stay healthy we are good at Arab but if Shump or JRob get banged up we are going to need Aires down the road...

Westdawg
09-05-2014, 01:12 PM
You can coach fair catching and not letting the ball hit the ground. You can coach blocking, so that IF we actually catch one, we have an Opportunity at a small return at least. You can coach not catching it inside your 10 yard line. So yes, you can coach punt returns...you just can't coach "playmaking"....we're far from that though. We have 50 issues to work on in our PR game b4 getting to the uncoachable parts IMO.

Cadaver, that's the problem though. I am not talking about the coachable parts. It is that fight or flight response that gets flipped for most punt returners. Banks had ice in his veins, it had nothing to do with whether he could catch it. Even though you "know" you won't get hit, a PR still can hear those cleats and the snarling coming straight at him. It will rock your nerves. It is just about the one time - aside from blindly catching a pass while crossing about 15 yds deep - that a player knows if he gets hit, it WILL hurt. It rattles more players than most of you can imagine.
And being a good returner in HS is NOT the same nor does it usually translate to being a good one in college. The skill of a punter with good hang time equalizes a lot of whatost ppl think a punt returner can do.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Cadaver, that's the problem though. I am not talking about the coachable parts. It is that fight or flight response that gets flipped for most punt returners. Banks had ice in his veins, it had nothing to do with whether he could catch it. Even though you "know" you won't get hit, a PR still can hear those cleats and the snarling coming straight at him. It will rock your nerves. It is just about the one time - aside from blindly catching a pass while crossing about 15 yds deep - that a player knows if he gets hit, it WILL hurt. It rattles more players than most of you can imagine.
And being a good returner in HS is NOT the same nor does it usually translate to being a good one in college. The skill of a punter with good hang time equalizes a lot of whatost ppl think a punt returner can do.

I agree with part of that but not all of it, and I understand the fear. But nobody can convince me that we don't have a single guy not afraid to catch a punt on our roster. If so, we have no chance at ever competing in the SEC. By this time, a coach should have tested people's manhood and said, "is anybody on this roster man enough to field punts?", and thrown Dillon Day or somebody back there if you have too (not really)....whatever it takes to field a punt. Are we the only team in Anerica that has too many sissies to catch a punt? I see what you're saying, but I'm not buying it.

Truth is, Mullen just wants a fast playmaker back there, but he can't seem to grasp the fact that Lewis and Holloway ARENT Punt Returners. So IMO it IS a coaching issue. I guarantee you RoJo, Redmond, Cox, or one of the backup DB's yearning for playing time aren't scared to catch a punt...but Mullen won't let em try. He's too hardheaded to realize that speed and quickness mean nothing if you never catch the punt.

Alldawg
09-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Like you said, he looking for fast playmakers. You should first find a few that want the job and are not scared. I would rather have a kid with a 4.7 time begging me for the job than a kid with 4.4 speed that you have to find.

drunkernhelldawg
09-05-2014, 02:47 PM
IMO this is one of the overlooked things about the Kang's success at MSU. Sure he had good defenses, but our special teams were usually very good also. They were good enough to make a positive difference in many games. Now our ST's are bad enough to make a negative difference in many games.

This should not be forgotten. He gave ST sincere attention.

LC Dawg
09-05-2014, 03:59 PM
I remember an article about Jameon where they talked to Walter Denton, his high school coach. I can't remember exactly why it came up but Coach Denton said he once put Jameon back to return punts and it didn't take him long to realize that Jameon wasn't that good at it so he didn't do it anymore. Jameon isn't horrible but he never really looks comfortable to me on punt returns.