PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't we soon take a big jump in

cheewgumm
09-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Recruiting just due to SEC growing and growing?

Big. 5 are quickly separating from other conferences. I'm thinking next yr or next we are going to see a big jump in our recruiting because of it.

defiantdog
09-05-2014, 01:33 AM
Not sure it works that way.... If we compete with Southern Miss, La Tech and schools like that in the future.... Then we're in some trouble.

BulldogBear
09-05-2014, 06:56 AM
We don't care****

MaxedOutMaroon
09-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Not to mention the blasphemous school that is Ole Miss, but recruiting reminded me of the one on one with Hugh Freeze. Literally the first thing out of his mouth (this was this week) was the hardest thing about coaching is the daily grind in recruiting. I just thought, that's the reason your team is so poorly coached on gameday, cause you are looking up recruits and rankings on 247 more than an average OM fan. Glad, he is not our coach. But I see what you are saying cheww, but that's the last thing on my mind concerning MSU football

dickiedawg
09-05-2014, 07:47 AM
The SEC has been THE dominant football conference for nearly a decade, and certainly all of Mullen's tenure.
We have seen the results of that- we're no longer competing with UAB and USM for recruits. Yes, we lost a recruit to USM last year but that came as a real shock because it just hasn't happened much.

maroonmania
09-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Not to mention the blasphemous school that is Ole Miss, but recruiting reminded me of the one on one with Hugh Freeze. Literally the first thing out of his mouth (this was this week) was the hardest thing about coaching is the daily grind in recruiting. I just thought, that's the reason your team is so poorly coached on gameday, cause you are looking up recruits and rankings on 247 more than an average OM fan. Glad, he is not our coach. But I see what you are saying cheww, but that's the last thing on my mind concerning MSU football

Perfect fit as coach at OM since both he and the OM fanbase are more worried about recruiting and recruiting rankings than actual games.

EAVdog
09-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Our 2015 class is ranked 12th, I believe on 247, is that not considered a jump?

Dawgheadcheese
09-05-2014, 09:22 AM
That makes absolutely no sense.

engie
09-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Big. 5 are quickly separating from other conferences. I'm thinking next yr or next we are going to see a big jump in our recruiting because of it.

Have you checked out our commit list lately? Checked the offer lists of the out of state kids committed to us?

Dawgbite
09-05-2014, 10:10 AM
I thought it said " Shouldn't we soon take a big dump"

yjnkdawg
09-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Perfect fit as coach at OM since both he and the OM fanbase are more worried about recruiting and recruiting rankings than actual games.

Yeah, they are definitley obsessed with star mania, and most of us know how some of the players just happen to choose OM, when they might have even thought that they were the University of Ole Miss. There is a lot more to stars though, as you need to recruit a kid, who wants to work hard to be the best they can be, both on the field and off, dedicated in their work ethic, can be coached, is a team player and not have that "me me me" personna., etc. OM and Freeze have definitley proven time and time that they can not develop players. Sometimes players even regress under their so-called leadership or even leave the team, voluntarily or involuntary. As most of us know, apparently OM doesn't, it is not how many stars a player has when he enters the program, but what is that star rating after he has completed his college career. Has a 2* improved to a 4*, a 3* become a 5* player or has a 5* regressed to a 3*?

Goat Holder
09-05-2014, 01:17 PM

I don't think so. Whatever advantages the SEC money brings us regarding the recrootin budget, is what we'll see. Guys in Texas aren't going to come to MSU simply because we were SEC. We were SEC before. Fred Ross you say? That was Brewster. And the reason for our depth is Dan Mullen's strategy of evaluating MS and other regional states' developmental prospects.

This SEC is bigger than God deal is a myth.

IMissJack
09-05-2014, 01:24 PM
I disagree that kids in TX won't go to MSU now, because we were already in the SEC. I agree, we were in the SEC, but now since A&M is on TV all the time, and TX means something to the SEC, I believe they will consider it more. A&M, LSU, OK can't take all the players in TX. These kids are smart enough to know that SEC network means more exposure than the BIG XII can give, unless you go to TX. The SEC has never been this big in TX, until now. By the way most of the big high schools around my town run the same type of offense we do now. Coaches calling plays from the sideline in the shotgun or pistol formation.

cheewgumm
09-05-2014, 01:36 PM
I think players will start coming just because we're in the SEC. That's my point.

Engie - haven't looked at 24/7 but I think you're point is we're recruiting well now, which I agree with. Just thinking that long term we should get some guys just because SEC. Our OL recruiting in particular, I'm hoping is affected.

Todd4State
09-05-2014, 01:45 PM
The way we recruit, it's still going to be unlikely that we are an annual top 10 team in the recruiting rankings. The reason is simply because we don't care all that much about stars. We're going to take a guy like McKinney regardless even though he is going to bring our ranking down.

IMissJack
09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
The way we recruit, it's still going to be unlikely that we are an annual top 10 team in the recruiting rankings. The reason is simply because we don't care all that much about stars.

I just don't get this thinking, when we see how we definitely look at Stars in our baseball recruiting. I like the way Dan has built depth with hard working kids, but a couple of hard working 4 star tackles would make me happy as well.

Todd4State
09-05-2014, 01:49 PM
I think players will start coming just because we're in the SEC. That's my point.

Engie - haven't looked at 24/7 but I think you're point is we're recruiting well now, which I agree with. Just thinking that long term we should get some guys just because SEC. Our OL recruiting in particular, I'm hoping is affected.

We have three guys starting right now that are likely NFL players- Clausell, Day, and Malone. Not to mention Clayborn who doesn't start. I wouldn't be surprised if Senior develops into a NFL guy as well, but he's wait and see for me.

I'm not sure why our fans seem to be willing to trust the staff with 2-3 star skill and defensive players, but not 2-3 star o-linemen.

Todd4State
09-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I just don't get this thinking, when we see how we definitely look at Stars in our baseball recruiting. I like the way Dan has built depth with hard working kids, but a couple of hard working 4 star tackles would make me happy as well.

We also have taken a guy like Delvin Zinn who is not highly rated, and taken Kale Breaux even though PG rates him as top 500- despite being on Team USA.

Stars are fun to look at, but it's not the end all be all. And that includes baseball as well. With PG, a lot of it is about being nationally relevant - something we have made a LOT of progress with since Cohen has been here.

Baseball recruiting is apples and oranges compared to football. In football, we're trusting Rosebowl Robertson for evaluation. With baseball, we're trusting professional scouts that work for professional baseball teams. Honestly, it blows my mind that the recruiting web sites for football haven't employed ex high school coaches at the very least.

cheewgumm
09-05-2014, 02:16 PM
To clarify, I trust our development of guys. However, it's not like we are not offering 4 star OLmen...we jsut aren't signing them. If the argument was "We didn't evne offer these 4 and 5 star guys, becasue we evaluated a 2 star as better." I don't doubt we hvae beenm great at evaluating guys(its proven), but I don't think this means we are not offering 4 star linemen now. It can be both, in my opinion.

Goat Holder
09-05-2014, 02:30 PM

I agree with Todd4State, but I also understand your reasoning. However, I wouldn't look at it so black/white. Stars DO matter, but only if you're getting the best players. Recrootin simply for stars isn't good, and recrootin only 2* diamonds doesn't work either. So in essence they are both copouts. You try to get the best players that are realistically available to you, no matter the rank.

sandwolf
09-05-2014, 03:12 PM

It's not that Mullen doesn't want to sign the guys with more stars by their name.....he offers them every year, and if it were up to him, we would have a top 5-10 class every year. But selling MSU football is not the same as selling MSU baseball, so Mullen has to take a different approach.

Todd4State
09-05-2014, 03:21 PM
To clarify, I trust our development of guys. However, it's not like we are not offering 4 star OLmen...we jsut aren't signing them. If the argument was "We didn't evne offer these 4 and 5 star guys, becasue we evaluated a 2 star as better." I don't doubt we hvae beenm great at evaluating guys(its proven), but I don't think this means we are not offering 4 star linemen now. It can be both, in my opinion.

My point is our staff doesn't care if a guy is ranked 4 or 5 stars or not. If he is, that's great. If not and they think he is a good player- they're still going to take them.

Also, recruiting rankings probably matter the least with o-linemen. The services do not evaluate them very well at all. A kid that's 320 now and looks like a NFL guard in high school is going to have trouble keeping their weight down a lot of times in college. See Aaron Morris. On the other hand, if we sign a guard that is 6'5" 260 in high school, redshirt them and play them as a sophomore when they get up to 300- that a lot of times is a guy that gets ranked low by the services, but turns out to be a better player.

IMissJack
09-05-2014, 03:29 PM
It's not that Mullen doesn't want to sign the guys with more stars by their name.....he offers them every year, and if it were up to him, we would have a top 5-10 class every year. But selling MSU football is not the same as selling MSU baseball, so Mullen has to take a different approach.

I don't disagree with this at all. However, I do not see our school (Academic or Athletic) recruiting TX the way other SEC schools do, or the way we do in other states such as GA. All I'm trying to say is I believe it is a new atmosphere in TX due to A&M joining the SEC and SEC network. Exposure for us (as well as everyone else) has never been higher. We are one of 14 schools whose name scrolls across the screen every 30 seconds for anyone watching the SECn. Our highlights are on everyday, it was not like that when ESPN was doing snippets here or there about the SEC. Usually it was about Bama, FL, LSU, or GA when SEC highlights came on.

By the way I mentioned Academics because OM has had a recruiter or two out here in Houston for a long time (over 10 years). About 3 years ago the only way we could get one out here was for an alum from Houston to pay for it. Those of us that live here know there are many, many kids that cannot go to A&M or UT because they do not graduate in the top 10% of their class. And, schools like OU, OSU, LSU, Ark, and OM have been getting a lot of them. I would say in the Houston area, LSU is the third biggest draw behind UT and A&M.

Goat Holder
09-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't disagree with this at all. However, I do not see our school (Academic or Athletic) recruiting TX the way other SEC schools do, or the way we do in other states such as GA. All I'm trying to say is I believe it is a new atmosphere in TX due to A&M joining the SEC and SEC network. Exposure for us (as well as everyone else) has never been higher. We are one of 14 schools whose name scrolls across the screen every 30 seconds for anyone watching the SECn. Our highlights are on everyday, it was not like that when ESPN was doing snippets here or there about the SEC. Usually it was about Bama, FL, LSU, or GA when SEC highlights came on.

By the way I mentioned Academics because OM has had a recruiter or two out here in Houston for a long time (over 10 years). About 3 years ago the only way we could get one out here was for an alum from Houston to pay for it. Those of us that live here know there are many, many kids that cannot go to A&M or UT because they do not graduate in the top 10% of their class. And, schools like OU, OSU, LSU, Ark, and OM have been getting a lot of them. I would say in the Houston area, LSU is the third biggest draw behind UT and A&M.

It's because there is lower hanging fruit elsewhere.

The hierarchy of Texas recrootin is like this:

1 - Texas
2 - Texas A&M, Oklahoma
3 - LSU, Oklahoma State, whoever else is elite at the moment (right now it'd be Alabama, Auburn, Oregon, etc.)
4 - Everybody else

We are in the 'Everybody else' category. The entire Big 12 and Big Ten recruit Texas, and all fall into this category. So, at this point, I say let's stay in MS and its bordering states unless we have an obvious tie to a Texas guy. Just because you're in a certain state line doesn't make you a better football player. However, it DOES make you sort of pre-conditioned to go to certain schools. Playing the odds says Texas isn't such a great state for MSU.

IMissJack
09-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Currently per ESPN the following schools have TX offensive linemen:
Texas-13 ARK-0
A&M-16 Bama-0
LSU-3 Auburn-0
OU-6 MO-4
OSU-13
Doesn't look like everyone else other than OSU gets that many. I believe many have been going to Big XII schools that would now consider SEC. Anyway, not to argue, I think we both want the same thing, the best players MSU can get. I would just like them to cast a wider net.

engie
09-05-2014, 04:50 PM

1 - Texas
2 - Texas A&M, Oklahoma

Goat PLS. You are taking a giant shit all over this board -- and this shtick is simply defiant of reality. I already know this isn't going to stick -- but I'm a sucker for trying..

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140905-zg4u-46kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140905-zg4u-46kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140905-exqu-48kb.jpg (http://http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140905-xcij-49kb.jpg

Need I keep going? All that is before aTm has spent $500mil on facilities too.

- UT has and are favorites for ZERO of the top 14 players in Texas this year. aTm has 4 and are favorites for 3 more. 7 to f'n 0.
- Among the 44 Texas 4*s, UT has 4 commits and are considered leaders for 5 more. aTm has 13 commits and are considered leaders for 3 more. 16 to f'n 9. Of the ones UT leads for, 5 don't have aTm offers. All 16 of aTm's have Texas offers. aTm won/is expected to win 16 of 20 head to head recruiting battles this year.

How clear of picture do you actually need me to paint for you?

Goat Holder
09-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Over time, it will even out, with Texas being on top. 3 years of Sumlin recrootin does not change history.

engie
09-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Over time, it will even out, with Texas being on top. 3 years of Sumlin recrootin does not change history.

This is the new normal. The "status quo" changed when aTm joined the SEC. I don't know why you can possibly be willingly ignorant of that fact. We said it was going to change -- they joined -- it changed. Overnight. And you are on your last fall-back now before that reality slaps you in the face -- but we already know you can just disconnect when that happens.

Convenient long-term denial by blaming it all on Sumlin though. A Sumlin that you didn't think was worth a shit when aTm hired him.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140905-pdbo-50kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140905-pdbo-50kb)
http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?75548-Buy-Sell-TSUN-will-not-be-able-to-make-a-Big-Name-Hire

CadaverDawg
09-05-2014, 05:52 PM
It's because there is lower hanging fruit elsewhere.

1 - Texas
2 - Texas A&M, Oklahoma
3 - LSU, Oklahoma State, whoever else is elite at the moment (right now it'd be Alabama, Auburn, Oregon, etc.)
4 - Everybody else

We are in the 'Everybody else' category. The entire Big 12 and Big Ten recruit Texas, and all fall into this category. So, at this point, I say let's stay in MS and its bordering states unless we have an obvious tie to a Texas guy. Just because you're in a certain state line doesn't make you a better football player. However, it DOES make you sort of pre-conditioned to go to certain schools. Playing the odds says Texas isn't such a great state for MSU.

http://howdoibaseball.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/jim-head-shake.gif