PDA

View Full Version : Myles Gentry

Todd4State
05-23-2013, 01:33 AM
It's very interesting how he is throwing more overhand than he was earlier. I figured that we would incorporate that into his arsenal like Caleb Reed, but I figured it would be next year.

I can see why we were not using him in SEC play- and normally when I say that, it's because of someone doing something bad. But not in this case. I think the staff was saving him for postseason play, but didn't want to tip what we were doing too soon.

Sandman14
05-23-2013, 01:54 AM
Todd: long time follower of your baseball comments.

On this topic, do you really think the staff (Cohen) would not have done everything in its power to win the UM and USC series? I just can't believe that. Not with a regional host on the line.

Also recall that Gentry was brought into some tough situations early (bases loaded jams on more than one occasion I believe, and in SEC comp.), and in each case he got lit up. (arky?) One time I think we may have even made a bad play/error on a grounder that could have been a DP, but in any event, I think he's lost us a couple games if I recall (just on memory). So in my mind, I thought the staff would be crazy to throw him into another meat grinder. Like Girado last season when we all knew he was going to get bombed with the bases loaded in that Sunday game v. Bama..

But in the SEC tourney, all bets are off and you just use who you got. Thats the only reason I think he got a good look. But now he's really in play. Just like Norris got a shot (and blew it), and CT has been getting opportunities. It's like when you are in this deep to the season, you can't afford to take chances. But if you are forced to take chances and things go great, well damn, maybe you found something so you use it a little more to see how it goes.

Anyway, I'm a huge John Cohen fan...the biggest. But I recognize his flaws, too. Every coach has them (except Nick Saban). And being extraordinarily on-point tactically has not struck me as his strongest point. I just cannot give him credit enough to think that he would rat-holing a secret weapon pitcher and breaking him out at the SEC tourney.

I do give him credit for seeing what Pyrtle was before most others did.

I do give him credit for making sure Detz was in the lineup at all costs.

I'm watching Robson (but Robson hasn't played in awhile - personally I'm not sure he was our best option so I like this move).

I'm watching Armstrong (his bat just has not impressed, and he made an egregious error in the field according to Jim's audio, not sure how it was scored - but he did make a nice running catch that others might have missed).

But in the end, just very glad Gentry "grew up" in my eyes tonight. This doesn't mean (to me) that he's not going to have growing pains (like Lingren), but I love the fact that he got some competition at the highest level and prevailed big time tonight. That's gotta go a long way, especially for a young pitcher who's had some bad luck despite his good stuff.

dickiedawg
05-23-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm watching Armstrong (his bat just has not impressed, and he made an egregious error in the field according to Jim's audio, not sure how it was scored - but he did make a nice running catch that others might have missed).

He just fell down on a fly ball. They scored it a double, but it was a pretty routine play.

Eta: Hunter did a good job backing up, or it would have been a standing triple or worse.

Will James
05-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Apparently Butch had to talk Cohen out of bringing Myles out in favor of matchups. I read that on 6pack.

We can't lose Butch.

Sandman14
05-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Butch is incredible.

His postgame interview with Jim was awful. He wasn't in touch with some of the things that occurred in the game. All I kept thinking was how he must be some pitching wizard. The guy was catching some flack about 3 years ago. Well, not anymore. He's got to be one of the best pitching coaches around.

Coach34
05-23-2013, 09:20 AM
It probably was him still working during bullpen sessions to get everything together- and he just wasnt ready yet to put back in. After his last couple of rough outings, they probably made a couple of changes with the arm slot to give him a better breaking ball. He used those extra sessions to refine all that and now he was ready. Plus, it was an extended outing that allowed him to get in a groove.

GiggityDawg
05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Todd, I appreciate and enjoy your baseball insight, but take off the maroon goggles, man. We weren't withholding a good pitcher for tournament play. The kid struggled in the year, didn't get much playing time, got a shot yesterday, and did well. Simple as that.

Some of our fans spewed this bullshit during football season to excuse poor play, but it turned out that we just plain sucked. I'm not falling for that mess again.