PDA

View Full Version : Saturday weather: More Rain?!

mstatefan91
09-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Am I really seeing 80% chance of rain all day Saturday again?

TheRef
09-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Y'all really need to stop using Weather Channel for your percentages...just saying.

National Weather Service is saying only a 40% chance of rain with rainfall totals around .2" with pretty much all of that happening before kickoff. Not nearly the drencher that we had Saturday. Calm down on this one, fellas. This one won't be nearly as bad as the last. I'll have my full forecast tomorrow for y'all.

mstatefan91
09-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Y'all really need to stop using Weather Channel for your percentages...just saying.

National Weather Service is saying only a 40% chance of rain with rainfall totals around .2" with pretty much all of that happening before kickoff. Not nearly the drencher that we had Saturday. Calm down on this one, fellas. This one won't be nearly as bad as the last. I'll have my full forecast tomorrow for y'all.

Sorry Ref. What are some better weather apps to download on my android if you know any?

I just became worried about it because I am currently suffering from acute tonsillitis that I'm sure I made myself more susceptible to sitting out in the rain all day last Saturday. lol

TheRef
09-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Sorry Ref. What are some better weather apps to download on my android if you know any?

I just became worried about it because I am currently suffering from acute tonsillitis that I'm sure I made myself more susceptible to sitting out in the rain all day last Saturday. lol

Haha. Weatherbug or Accuweather are better options than TWC.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-03-2014, 06:40 PM
I will vouch for weatherbug. Was on a climbing trip, and we were looking at the hourly to know when it was going to start raining. It said 3 pm 80% chance. This was the night before. It was cloudy all day, but we left at 2:30. Right when we got down from the bluff it rained all the way from Gadsden to Starkville.

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2014, 12:55 AM
I've used mycast for the last few years and love it. It's 1.99 but worth it.

DawgHouseUnited
09-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Haha. Weatherbug or Accuweather are better options than TWC.

Was going to ask that question myself. Thanks for the answer!

MetEdDawg
09-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah if you aren't familiar with the National Weather Service site, you really need to spend time to get familair with their sites. They are the best forecasters out there. I shadowed at the one in Birmingham for a month when I thought I was going to do meteorology for a career and you aren't going to find better forecasters out there. They do a lot of work to make sure they are accurate and I trust them over every other forecast agency out there.

I have different internet browsers that stay up on my phone for the different locations I want to see a forecast for. So I've got the NWS page for Starkville on my phone so I can see the forecast there anytime, the city I live in, and the city where my family hunting camp is. I can just pull that page up and it automatically refreshes the forecast. I highly recommend spending a few hours and browsing around the NWS page. There's great stuff on there and it's the most accurate forecast out there.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Yeah if you aren't familiar with the National Weather Service site, you really need to spend time to get familair with their sites. They are the best forecasters out there. I shadowed at the one in Birmingham for a month when I thought I was going to do meteorology for a career and you aren't going to find better forecasters out there. They do a lot of work to make sure they are accurate and I trust them over every other forecast agency out there.

I have different internet browsers that stay up on my phone for the different locations I want to see a forecast for. So I've got the NWS page for Starkville on my phone so I can see the forecast there anytime, the city I live in, and the city where my family hunting camp is. I can just pull that page up and it automatically refreshes the forecast. I highly recommend spending a few hours and browsing around the NWS page. There's great stuff on there and it's the most accurate forecast out there.

I'll second this. They are my go to source above anyone else. I'll check out TWC or Accuweather just to see how they compare, but when the rubber meets the road I am going with NWS. I know during the severe weather season when I am trying to decide on if a storm system is worth chasing or where to set up the NWS is the only external source I use. I will look at model data myself and get a pretty good idea of where I think is going to be ground zero and then look at the NWS forecast and see if they agree. Then I may tweak things some if there are any differences.

TheRef
09-04-2014, 08:39 AM
The problem with a Weather Channel, Accuweather, WeatherNation, etc is that they can't focus on one area. They have to forecast for the whole nation and naturally they won't forecast as hard for a Starkville or even a Jackson as hard as an Atlanta, NYC, or LA. NWS offices have a much smaller forecast area so they naturally do a better forecast than a national forecast office.

TWC, Accuweather, and WeatherNation have their place. They will cover the big/obvious events. Your local NWS office can focus on smaller local climatic norms that they can focus on and others may overlook.

yjnkdawg
09-04-2014, 12:47 PM

I agree and looking at "Additional Forecast Information" is really helpful. Especially the Meteorologist Discussion, and the Temperature and Weather graphs.

yjnkdawg
09-04-2014, 12:57 PM
The problem with a Weather Channel, Accuweather, WeatherNation, etc is that they can't focus on one area. They have to forecast for the whole nation and naturally they won't forecast as hard for a Starkville or even a Jackson as hard as an Atlanta, NYC, or LA. NWS offices have a much smaller forecast area so they naturally do a better forecast than a national forecast office.

TWC, Accuweather, and WeatherNation have their place. They will cover the big/obvious events. Your local NWS office can focus on smaller local climatic norms that they can focus on and others may overlook.

Hey Ref. I have the Accuweather app and I like it. I also have The Weather Channel app, but my main source for weather is the Jan NWS Website and WAPT-TV for local weather forecasts and severe weather.

FlabLoser
09-04-2014, 01:13 PM
So...50% rain in the form of typical afternoon scattered thunderstorms? Meaning we won't get an all-day drenching like last week? Might get something short and sweet (well, not sweet)?

I can deal with that.

TheRef
09-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Hey Ref. I have the Accuweather app and I like it. I also have The Weather Channel app, but my main source for weather is the Jan NWS Website and WAPT-TV for local weather forecasts and severe weather.

Accuweather is good. TWC I have my opinions about but I won't go down that road. If it works for what you want, go ahead and use it.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Accuweather is good.

Just don't go planning anything important using their 45 day forecast.

TheRef
09-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Just don't go planning anything important using their 45 day forecast.

You just HAD to bring up the 45-day forecast.....

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2014, 01:30 PM
You just HAD to bring up the 45-day forecast.....

Sorry. The evil meterologist on my shoulder made me do it. What's sad is I look at it almost every day to see when someone is forecasting fall to get here. I'm tired of summer. That being said, I am REALLY keeping my eye on next weekend.

TheRef
09-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Sorry. The evil meterologist on my shoulder made me do it. What's sad is I look at it almost every day to see when someone is forecasting fall to get here. I'm tired of summer. That being said, I am REALLY keeping my eye on next weekend.

Calm down, Sparky. GFS and ECMWF don't even know what is going to happen.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Calm down, Sparky. GFS and ECMWF don't even know what is going to happen.

I know. Just crossing my fingers hoping their long range is accurate.

fishwater99
09-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Is this what you guys do all day?

TheRef
09-04-2014, 01:51 PM

What? Make forecasts?

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2014, 01:55 PM

You should see me in March and April when severe weather season is here. This is the calm version of me. If we have a fall severe weather season you may get a glimpse.

DawgHouseUnited
09-04-2014, 02:54 PM

This +1 zillion. Even with some mild streaks in it, I'm tired of it...

Beaver
09-04-2014, 07:59 PM
If you guys want an App that features forecasts/discussions/graphs/radar from NWS then get 'Wx Alert USA.' Think it's $2.99. It's pretty good for everyday use in your home location. However, it doesn't use location services, so you'll have to manually add each city you want forecasts for. Much better/easier than keeping a tab on your mobile web browser IMO.