PDA

View Full Version : Bench's visit was apparently "meh"

Coach34
05-23-2013, 12:05 AM
we might just have us another QB

Will James
05-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Did Strick and Keenum sign some treaty with a savage tribe that I am unaware of?

Todd4State
05-23-2013, 12:55 AM
I bet that picture on twitter helped a lot too. :cool:

My bad- should have been: ;)

sbcmortgageman
05-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Isn't he to announce today? Also does he commit today or sign a full LOI to the school he decides?

MitchD24
05-23-2013, 05:46 AM
He said he would have a decision around late morning/mid afternoon

maroonmania
05-23-2013, 08:35 AM
I will just wait for the announcement before I get my hopes up. Give our recent track record with getting QBs and the situation in this past recruiting season where we thought we had Toby Johnson in the bag after he came in on a solo visit I'll just expect the worst and hope for the best.

Bo Darville
05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I think we get him. No source, just my gut feeling.

Coach34
05-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Bench gonna be a Dawg

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Bench gonna be a Dawg

He has chosen USF.

Coach34
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
and our people come up clueless again...wow

We couldnt close a ****ing umbrella

Alexander and now Bench- we just knew we had closed these deals

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
and our people come up clueless again...wow

We couldnt close a ****ing umbrella

Until further notice, I dont care if Dan Mullen tells me we have someone, I wont believe it until the kid goes public.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Now we get to lose out on cord sandberg. Maybe next year...

Coach34
05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Until further notice, I dont care if Dan Mullen tells me we have someone, I wont believe it until the kid goes public.

yeahhhh, I think I'm gonna have to go that route myself- we obviously dont have our shit together or we get our hopes up too quickly like a low self-esteem woman after a first date

msumudcat
05-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Truth brother

trob115
05-23-2013, 09:38 AM
''I felt like had I went to Mississippi State, I would have just gone there for the conference.''

He saw the writing on the wall with Dak.

Bo Darville
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I think we get him. No source, just my gut feeling.

Bench to USF. So much for my gut. Must have been indigestion.

FlabLoser
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I wonder if we lost to beaches and women in bikinis.

Will James
05-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Did Strick and Keenum sign some treaty with a savage tribe that I am unaware of?

Guess not.

RTO Dawg
05-23-2013, 10:05 AM
I was hoping for quality depth....oh well

BeastMan
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Fwiw I heard he was ours late last night and went to bed thinking so. Woke up to the opposite. Oh well

fishwater99
05-23-2013, 12:14 PM
I wonder if we lost to beaches and women in bikinis.

You can't blame him there...

601Dawg
05-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Fwiw I heard he was ours late last night and went to bed thinking so. Woke up to the opposite. Oh well

Wonder what happened?

Im guessing before he left when he last talked with Mullen, Dan started talking hard work and competition and Bench cringed. Also, Its hard to compte with night life in Tampa compaired to Starkville LOL.

tenureplan
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Wonder what happened?

Im guessing before he left when he last talked with Mullen, Dan started talking hard work and competition and Bench cringed. Also, Its hard to compte with night life in Tampa compaired to Starkville LOL.

Mullen is kicking himself for giving him that Dianetics book right before he left.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2013, 01:30 PM
we might just have us another QB

I would think the other QB would be Elijah Staley. I would actually rather have him over Bench.

Coach34
05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I would think the other QB would be Elijah Staley. I would actually rather have him over Bench.

agree 100%...I only wanted Bench as a quality back-up. You can never have too many QB's. But as I've said all along, even if we dont get Sandberg- we're fine. We just have to damn sure sign one in this coming class, and he has to make it to campus

601Dawg
05-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Thing is with him, if he doesn't win the backup job he may decide he wants to concentrate on basketball and we are screwed again. Not that I would have a problem with him playing basketball for us as he is a 4 star basketball recruit.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Thing is with him, if he doesn't win the backup job he may decide he wants to concentrate on basketball and we are screwed again. Not that I would have a problem with him playing basketball for us as he is a 4 star basketball recruit.

Yeah, that is a pretty good worst case scenario. He has the backup job if Sandberg doesn't come to campus.

gravedigger
05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
I think he saw that and the fact that it will be a bit easier to show his talent against defenses that arent as brutal.

MSU......big risk (beating out established players, playing against the best defenses in the nation) big reward (nations biggest tv stage, chance to make a historically below average program visible)

USF......low risk (will probably start, more highlight reel potential vs the defenses USF plays) low reward (not very often on tv, not very often against name programs, success might be mitigated in scouts eyes for choosing the easier path)

War Machine Dawg
05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Mullen can't get a QB to save his soul. This shit is ridiculous. We'll have exactly two scholarship QBs on the team in the fall. For all the hell we've given Crxxms about his QB recruiting, Mullen's has been just as bad so far. **** Mullen and the horse he rode in on if this is the best we can expect. We'll never compete without quality QBs and quality QB depth. Losing a QB to ****ing South Florida. Un-damn-believable. Except it is.

FlabLoser
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Mullen can't get a QB to save his soul. This shit is ridiculous. We'll have exactly two scholarship QBs on the team in the fall. For all the hell we've given Crxxms about his QB recruiting, Mullen's has been just as bad so far. **** Mullen and the horse he rode in on if this is the best we can expect. We'll never compete without quality QBs and quality QB depth. Losing a QB to ****ing South Florida. Un-damn-believable. Except it is.

Really.

Know I know Dak hasn't played much, BUT...name another MSU coach who has signed 2 QBs that are better than both Russell and Dak.

I'll hang up and listen.

Pollodawg
05-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Really.

Know I know Dak hasn't played much, BUT...name another MSU coach who has signed 2 QBs that are better than both Russell and Dak.

I'll hang up and listen.

Exactly. Dak turned down LSU and TCU to come to State. Tyler turned down the Old Ball Coach to come here. Mullen has done OK recruiting QBs. We got burned this go-round by the MLB draft and a guy afraid of competition.

MSUDawg4Life
05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Exactly. Dak turned down LSU and TCU to come to State. Tyler turned down the Old Ball Coach to come here. Mullen has done OK recruiting QBs. We got burned this go-round by the MLB draft and a guy afraid of competition.

My thoughts exactly ....

engie
05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Why is everyone sleeping on Damian Williams? If you look at more than a star ranking and offer sheet and talk to people that know, many think that he was one of the major steals of our class.

Is he going to be ready to go this year? Probably not. Neither was Bench though. What you know you have with Williams is a bruiser that can certainly run the read option if thrust into a game from a backup role, which leaves us in way better damn shape than we were in at this time last year...

woozman
05-23-2013, 04:34 PM

Good Lord, go overboard much?

1. We'll have at least 3 QB's on the roster this fall. 4 if a miricle happens and Cord chooses FB.
2. Bench would have been a career backup at State unless there were a couple of injuries - I think he realized this. He has a better chance of playing at South FL, but that is not even a given (what does that say about his overall talent level?).
3. I don't understand people getting so upset about Bench. It's not like he was a 5* Cam type recruit. I was disappointed, but we're taking about a backup type QB, not a stud...

Todd4State
05-23-2013, 05:08 PM
The reality of our QB situation is we really need a guy more like a Tyson Lee than anything. Someone that played JUCO football that is smart and loves MSU and doesn't really care if he plays or not and just wants to be on the team and can be serviceable in an emergency situation. We just need a solid preferred walk-on.

engie
05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
The reality of our QB situation is we really need a guy more like a Tyson Lee than anything. Someone that played JUCO football that is smart and loves MSU and doesn't really care if he plays or not and just wants to be on the team and can be serviceable in an emergency situation. We just need a solid preferred walk-on.

Bingo.

I wonder what the latest on Golden is? Rumor had it he was going to try to be back by June last I heard?

Political Hack
05-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Damien Williams is damn good. Huge steal for us. And he'll be at least the 3rd scholly QB on campus this fall.