PDA

View Full Version : Stricklin speaks, new speakers and more shuttles for Saturday..

fishwater99
09-03-2014, 03:41 PM
http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&SPID=11006&SPSID=105453&DB_LANG&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT

Lloyd Christmas
09-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Basically he said the speakers had a shitload of blown fuses. He also said that they are hoping the replacements will fix the problem permanently, if not other otptions may need to be explored. This fix is fine for now but we need a stadium wide sound system. That's not even debatable. Every human voice (minus the announcer's) sounds like a Charlie Brown adult.

sleepy dawg
09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Basically he said the speakers had a shitload of blown fuses. He also said that they are hoping the replacements will fix the problem permanently, if not other otptions may need to be explored. This fix is fine for now but we need a stadium wide sound system. That's not even debatable. Every human voice (minus the announcer's) sounds like a Charlie Brown adult.

What does it say about me that I had no issue hearing it?

Mjoelner34
09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
What does it say about me that I had no issue hearing it?

I'm with you.

I think the problem is more with the direction of the sound. I've sat in the upper deck and had my hair parted by that thing then the next game sat in the lower level and didn't even know we had speakers in it.

fishwater99
09-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Fuses are not drivers, speaker drivers are the actual woofers and/or tweeters inside the speakers.
Over time they will dry-rot or they could have just been blown out.

IMissJack
09-03-2014, 07:20 PM
So no one checked the system prior to Saturday?

godlluB
09-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Fuses are not drivers, speaker drivers are the actual woofers and/or tweeters inside the speakers.
Over time they will dry-rot or they could have just been blown out.

I wonder if these have been bad for a while, and that's why the audio has been so unintelligible the last couple of years.

aerodawg
09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
So no one checked the system prior to Saturday?

They checked it and knew they had 19 blown drivers. Ordered them, but they didn't come in time for the USM game. Installing today and tommorrow.

Steakonastick
09-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Everybody needs to go to tuscaloosa and hear their system. Same speaker set up at dudy noble just a bigger scale. It was the only positive I took from "we believe" two years ago.

IMissJack
09-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I swear, for all the good we have done lately, just every once in a while we still have some WTF moments. Spelling included.

BulldogBear
09-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Where I was it sounded like the refs were mumbling. I thought it was just the new location of my seats

engie
09-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Everybody needs to go to tuscaloosa and hear their system. Same speaker set up at dudy noble just a bigger scale.

This will be happening at Davis Wade sooner than later -- probably this offseason honestly. A few here can keep us far more informed on what's actually happening with that though...

Just talking out of my ass here -- but IMO the problem with the speaker system makes sense that they are a pointed "array" meaning they are all specifically arranged to project sound to a certain area of the stadium. Besides the obvious logistical volume issues over distance -- I'm betting that certain "zones" are blown and that's what creates the biggest discrepancies and different experiences with it in the stadium...

Barking 13
09-03-2014, 10:48 PM
A line array is designed to radiate sound over a particular coverage zone, depending on configuration. Normally, it will have an effective coverage of about 120 degrees, but that is also dependent of the "hang". Just think of when you are at a concert. The "hangs" are normally forward facing and curved (j hang) for maximum forward directional coverage, with a row of subwoofers at the bottom. Low frequencies are not directional... normally large outdoor venues have a second or third set of delayed towers that permit the sound to travel farther... with all that said, I'd like to see what is actually "behind the curtain", because I would guess that it is more of a spiral array, which disperses the sound radially. And I would like to know what type of amplification is used.. anybody in the know?

anyway, the problem with 19 blown drivers, just imagine what your home stereo or car system would sound like with just one speaker, and you get the gist of it.

Barking 13
09-03-2014, 11:04 PM
after a little research, this explains why BDS has better sound, a combination line array / distributed system....

http://www.avnetwork.com/installs/0009/winning-sound/83324

ScottH
09-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Isn't the real problem we didn't use Peavy?

Barking 13
09-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Isn't the real problem we didn't use Peavy?

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! You don't put a Yugo motor in a Cadillac...

ETA: on second thought, we probably did, hence, all the blown drivers...

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-04-2014, 08:18 AM
13 and engiNe are right. We have a line array system. Point and blast. I was told that they added a few new speakers to the current setup before the usm game.

I hope they do a distributed sound system next year but wouldnt count on it. Few college facilities seem to have them and Id bet that is a minimum 1 million investment for the school.