PDA

View Full Version : They'll never admit it but our stadium expansion has caused some stress north of us

starkvegasdawg
09-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I submit the following. I thought back before the season began they all thought they had one of the nicest stadiums around in their minds. Honestly, I am surprised they even know what the inside of their stadium looks like. They're only in it about 20 minutes a game and by then they are all hammered past the point of no return.

http://nafoom.yuku.com/topic/48897/Holy-crap-That-Louisville-stadium-and-fan-support

BulldogBear
09-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Their thought process or reasoning for expanding their stadium is one of the shallowist I've ever witnessed. They'll never admit it but it's along the same lines of what I said in another thread a few seconds ago.

They cannot be "behind" us in anything or it causes an existential crisis. They really are the worst douchebag of a fanbase in all of U.S. collegiate athletics.

maroonmania
09-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Their thought process or reasoning for expanding their stadium is one of the shallowist I've ever witnessed. They'll never admit it but it's along the same lines of what I said in another thread a few seconds ago.

They cannot be "behind" us in anything or it causes an existential crisis. They really are the worst douchebag of a fanbase in all of U.S. collegiate athletics.

Well, technically they can't be "behind" us in anything related to football or it causes an existential crisis. They don't like to be behind us in other sports like men's basketball or even baseball but they can live with that, not so in football. They will buy recruits like crazy while at the same time have Private Investigators work to dig dirt to bring ours down if it looks like we might be getting a step ahead. We've already seen that happen. And they will DEFINITELY build SOMETHING onto VHS to get it past our capacity number even if they have to put out some extra chairs somewhere that they can find space. Of course we are just a nuisance though. They need to build on another 40,000 seats now to stay up with their real rival.

TheRef
09-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Well, technically they can't be "behind" us in anything related to football or it causes an existential crisis. They don't like to be behind us in other sports like men's basketball or even baseball but they can live with that, not so in football. They will buy recruits like crazy while at the same time have Private Investigators work to dig dirt to bring ours down if it looks like we might be getting a step ahead. We've already seen that happen. And they will DEFINITELY build SOMETHING onto VHS to get it past our capacity number even if they have to put out some extra chairs somewhere that they can find space. Of course we are just a nuisance though. They need to build on another 40,000 seats now to stay up with their real rival.

They did have one moment of realization of how flawed their expansion is. One said that it was a short-sighted expansion and didn't have any long-term ability to expand further and that they would practically have to tear down VHS and build it back up to fix it. I actually applauded internally for that moment of realization.

Bully Dee Williams
09-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Oh my! I have never seen the bears ridicule VHS before now. Their stadium is a dump and they no it. The best they can do is copycat our ideas. One problem, they will just be putting lipstick on a pig.

Another thing, I thought Oxford was the greatest place since the Garden of Eden. Now, it's rural location is holding them back? What happened to the 'OM is the place everyone wants to visit on game day Shep Smith propaganda'?

They need to face it. Their stadium with its stupid artificial turf and terrible design sucks. There is nothing they can do about that. Oxford is a relic of a bygone era of antebellum sensibilities in the middle of fricking nowhere. People are catching on to the fact that OM/Oxford just flat sucks in every way, shape, and form.

engie
09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
They've had pressure internally for some time to go ahead and finish out the bowl -- ability to fill it, be damned. It's mostly an appearance thing to them...

Now -- their endzone is first class. Anyone that says otherwise is looking through maroon. It's not as nice as ours, no -- but it's also a decade older and 1/3 as expensive... It's their sidelines and concourses that need the extensive work.

Outside of their EZ -- there has been a TON of half-assing to VH over the years. You see it in the press box and Rebel Club. Now they are building a NICE basketball arena very close to the stadium. Close enough that there will never be an upper deck there and it's questionable if there will be enough room to build a new pressbox -- which they need about as bad as we do. Plus, now they are applying the halfassing to the nice endzone IMO...

Also, they have high demand for premium seating just like we do. Need a bunch more skyboxes. But instead of doing it right -- they are taking out the best feature of their stadium(an open concourse that you can see from at the top of the student section) and turning it into skyboxes -- thus cramming skyboxes below a club below more skyboxes -- all in the endzone -- and adding a "club" at the bottom of the endzone -- and lowering true capacity over there pretty extensively.

The RIGHT thing to do here IMO would have been to do all foundational and underground work along the pressbox side along with the beginning of the arena build. Get started on it good -- and then tear down the press box and rebuild with premium seating to match the endzone exactly, including the SRO concourse. Renovate the Rebel Club into a temp press box on the other side until longterm plans could be made. That's probably a $100mil expansion though -- whereas this one is going to be "cheap" and maximize revenue for them. At some point, cheap catches up with you though...

RC3
09-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Ohhhh so the reason they don't have more fans at their games is because there is no six lane highway access to campus?? Got it

TheRef
09-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Ohhhh so the reason they don't have more fans at their games is because there is no six lane highway access to campus?? Got it

BREAKING: MDOT announces that I-55 will be re-routed towards Oxford, MS. Construction to begin immediately.

CadaverDawg
09-03-2014, 12:43 PM
If we end the year with a win over them, plus the better stadium, plus the better crowd support, plus Dak having a big year.....I will enjoy the absolute shit out of the off season watching them meltdown. Couldn't happen to a better group.

And we already know we'll have 2 of the above...and considering 4 out of 5...I'm tempted to go ahead and say "3" of the above

codeDawg
09-03-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't think you guys realize how nice their IPF is.***

fishwater99
09-03-2014, 01:23 PM

WOW...

"Oxford is the biggest holdup for expanding the stadium.

The lack of adequate roads from hwy 6 into the campus cause massive traffic jams before and after games. Alot of folks just don't want to wait all damn night to be able to go home after a game. You put 6 lanes into campus from every direction and that will change. Hwy 6 should be six lanes to I-20. Make University avenue 6 lanes and make hwy 7 six lanes so you can get some traffic in and out of the city. Make it where it is easy to get in and out of the stadium. if you have to build"

Tdawg
09-03-2014, 01:24 PM
I submit the following. I thought back before the season began they all thought they had one of the nicest stadiums around in their minds. Honestly, I am surprised they even know what the inside of their stadium looks like. They're only in it about 20 minutes a game and by then they are all hammered past the point of no return.

http://nafoom.yuku.com/topic/48897/Holy-crap-That-Louisville-stadium-and-fan-support

Our stadium is significantly superior to VHS following the completion of the renovation. The one thing I used to hate about the appearance of our stadium was the awkwardness of the upperdecks without any significant endzone seating. The addition did a great job of copmpleting the stadium--as opposed to simply expanding it. And yes, our enemies to the north are well aware of this fact and none to happy with their administration's answers so far regarding their expansion--whenever that actually happens.

On a sidenote, it's amazing how good the competitiveness of the two schools versus each other has lifted the status of the football programs. It doesn't bother me that TSUN doesn't accept us having better toys than them. What has bothered me is that until the last 5-7 years we didn't feel the same way.

Dawgdom
09-03-2014, 01:31 PM
If we end the year with a win over them, plus the better stadium, plus the better crowd support, plus Dak having a big year.....I will enjoy the absolute shit out of the off season watching them meltdown. Couldn't happen to a better group.

And we already know we'll have 2 of the above...and considering 4 out of 5...I'm tempted to go ahead and say "3" of the above

They'll be OK...They will win the off season.

LC Dawg
09-03-2014, 01:49 PM
UMiss would have nicer things if more than half of their "fanbase" didn't buy unlicensed Rebel gear at convenience stores, flea markets and garage sales across Mississippi.

rabbitthedawg
09-03-2014, 02:20 PM
BREAKING: MDOT announces that I-55 will be re-routed towards Oxford, MS. Construction to begin immediately.

I don't think Dick Hall would approve that, since he is a die hard Dawg. LOL