PDA

View Full Version : ESPN grouped all D1 teams after week one on where they stood

starkvegasdawg
09-03-2014, 10:03 AM
in order to make the playoffs. They were grouped into the following categories: better luck next season, on the fence, and still in contention. The bears were in the on the fence grouping and basically said they weren't that impressive.

MSU was in the still in contention group and they had the following write up: Mississippi State: We won't know for several more weeks if the Bulldogs are really a contender in the SEC West, but their 49-0 shutout of Southern Miss was a heck of an opening statement. Their three-game stretch against No. 12 LSU (road), No. 9 Texas A&M (home) and No. 5 Auburn (home) will make or break their season.

I can't argue with that at all.

CadaverDawg
09-03-2014, 10:05 AM
in order to make the playoffs. They were grouped into the following categories: better luck next season, on the fence, and still in contention. The bears were in the on the fence grouping and basically said they weren't that impressive.

MSU was in the still in contention group and they had the following write up: Mississippi State: We won't know for several more weeks if the Bulldogs are really a contender in the SEC West, but their 49-0 shutout of Southern Miss was a heck of an opening statement. Their three-game stretch against No. 12 LSU (road), No. 9 Texas A&M (home) and No. 5 Auburn (home) will make or break their season.

Yet, OM is ranked 15 and we are unranked. Makes perfect sense.

I don't care that we aren't ranked, but this just goes to show that even the media doesn't know why the hell they put teams where they do in the rankings.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-03-2014, 10:14 AM

I don't care that we aren't ranked, but this just goes to show that even the media doesn't know why the hell they put teams where they do in the rankings.

I hope they keep moving and crack the top 10 because the fall from grace into the abyss sucks, see us 2012.

starkvegasdawg
09-03-2014, 10:20 AM

The only possible reason I would have for us to be ranked now is that it is easier to move into the top echelon of the polls if you are ranked early. Instead of us winning 4 games to get into the to 15, we are winning 4 games to crack the top 25. I know, that we should still be there regardless if we beat the teams on our schedule but if some of them have a loss or two along the way then they will not be as highly ranked when we play them. If we win then that only drops them further and makes the wins look less impressive to the pollsters and committee.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2014, 10:21 AM

THIS

What I don't understand is why MSU fans keep saying. "Well, we haven't proved nothing yet." When many teams, not just OM, have not proven anything yet but are ranked. There are numerous teams that are ranked right now, that haven't proved anything, and I feel MSU would run circles around them on the field.

Something isn't right here, and I'm sure why MSU people continue to give the media an out by saying that we haven't proved anything. Why do we have to beat LSU, A&M, and Auburn to get in the top 25? Why are we in this situation?

Reason2succeed
09-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Dan Mullen isn't complaining about not being ranked. Heck, he probably vote TSUN #1 in his coaches poll because he knows they will become cocky and crash and burn. As a coach you would always want to be able to play the "no respect" card to your team. It keeps them hungry and motivated. It makes sure that they are aggressively getting better and not overlooking opponents instead of passively patting themselves on the back. The only downside to OM being ranked is that historically they will claim that they were good because they were ranked for these three weeks.

Coach34
09-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Winning takes care of everything

EAVdog
09-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I hope they keep moving and crack the top 10 because the fall from grace into the abyss sucks, see us 2012.

They have 5 games in the middle of their schedule that could easily all be losses. Tennessee actually could be better this year and they have to play them after going to Texas AM, which is after their big match-up in Oxford with Bama. We all know how well teams do after they play Bama.

Bama, at ATM, Tenn, at LSU, Auburn. Tennessee looking good is really bad for OM.

Unfortunately for us they won't be ranked by the Egg Bowl.

Bully Dee Williams
09-03-2014, 10:39 AM
They have 5 games in the middle of their schedule that could easily all be losses. Tennessee actually could be better this year and they have to play them after going to Texas AM, which is after their big match-up in Oxford with Bama. We all know how well teams do after they play Bama.

Bama, at ATM, Tenn, at LSU, Auburn. Tennessee looking good is really bad for OM.

I know OM not being ranked going into the Egg Bowl means that there is one less top 25 team for us to beat this year. I wish we would stop scheduling these cupcakes.****

That was obviously a joke, bear lurkers.

In all seriousness, we win a few of those games during that stretch of LSU, AU, and aTM and preseason ranking won't matter. We will be in great shape.

hells bells
09-03-2014, 10:43 AM
THIS

What I don't understand is why MSU fans keep saying. "Well, we haven't proved nothing yet." When many teams, not just OM, have not proven anything yet but are ranked. There are numerous teams that are ranked right now, that haven't proved anything, and I feel MSU would run circles around them on the field.

Something isn't right here, and I'm sure why MSU people continue to give the media an out by saying that we haven't proved anything. Why do we have to beat LSU, A&M, and Auburn to get in the top 25? Why are we in this situation?

Rather be in our situation at this time and agree the three game gauntlet will be the test. Think it is a better set up to play in than where TSUN is for very lofty expectations. Being a underdog rather than a overwhelming favorite has it's advantages. Rankings mean nothing in week 2.

TXDawg
09-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Link?

HereComesTheSpiral
09-03-2014, 10:57 AM

I would definitely include Arkansas in that group, seems like they are the type of team that gets stronger as the year goes on and they play them right before us. That game could look like ours last year, cold and windy and I think they will really struggle with no running game.

RougeDawg
09-03-2014, 11:02 AM
I know OM not being ranked going into the Egg Bowl means that there is one less top 25 team for us to beat this year. I wish we would stop scheduling these cupcakes.****

That was obviously a joke, bear lurkers.

In all seriousness, we win a few of those games during that stretch of LSU, AU, and aTM and preseason ranking won't matter. We will be in great shape.

You mean after we win those 3.

Reason2succeed
09-03-2014, 11:05 AM

I can't argue with it either since you didn't provide the link.***

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2014, 11:06 AM

And this is why I don't give a damn about the AP Poll and the whining about it not being used by the BCS. The media is a bunch of clueless morons who rank teams based on name and whatever random criteria they chose that particular morning. In fact, polls in general suck. Computer generated power rankings would be much better. Takes out the human bias factor. I still say the easiest solution for a playoff would've been take the BCS Top 8 regardless of conference. You almost never have more than 3-5 teams legitimately in the discussion by November in any particular season anyway.

sandwolf
09-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Why do we have to beat LSU, A&M, and Auburn to get in the top 25?

If we beat all of those teams, we will probably be ranked in the top 5 or 6 in the country....hell, if we win 2 of those 3 we will probably be ranked around number 10 or 12. So it really doesn't matter where we are ranked right now....when you play in the SEC, you get plenty of opportunities to show the country how good you really are.

SDDawg
09-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Winning takes care of everything

Right on.

starkvegasdawg
09-03-2014, 11:13 AM
I can't argue with it either since you didn't provide the link.***

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/EliminatorWeek1/eliminator-college-football-week-1-victims-survivors

The link.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2014, 11:13 AM

If there was no pre season rankings and they came out after game one would Ole Miss and South Carolina be ranked? Would we be ranked?