PDA

View Full Version : SECN documentary idea

Bully Dee Williams
09-02-2014, 08:15 PM
I see where the SECN is doing the Chuckie ******* doc. I would love to see something like that about Nick Bell. I know it hasn't been very long ago, but that kid's story impacted me quite a bit.

Coach34
09-02-2014, 08:26 PM
I'd go with Kiefer or Stowers over Bell...no disrespect to Bell by any means- but those two were All-SEC level players.

Bully Dee Williams
09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
No doubt both were tragic losses of talented young men. I remember very vividly where I was when I heard the news about Kiefer. I had met him a few times and he was always really nice and humble. Stowers was a tough one to hear about as well.

bluelightstar
09-02-2014, 08:32 PM
On a related note -- it's still unbelievable to me how little play the 'Game of Change' documentary has gotten. Seems like the type of thing that would be eaten up.

Coach34
09-02-2014, 08:35 PM
On a related note -- it's still unbelievable to me how little play the 'Game of Change' documentary has gotten. Seems like the type of thing that would be eaten up.

I agree- no way to do a 30 for 30 on that because it doesnt fit the perception of the South

Bully Dee Williams
09-02-2014, 08:35 PM

I thought about that as well. It would be nice if our athletic department would push these ideas a little more with ESPN. Maybe they have. I don't know. We just have so many great stories in our athletics history.

BeardoMSU
09-02-2014, 08:37 PM

I agree. Considering what was going on at OM's campus during this time period, what we were doing was a huge thing for Mississippi. I'm certainly glad we're on the right side of history in that regard.

PassInterference
09-02-2014, 08:42 PM

I agree- no way to do a 30 for 30 on that because it doesnt fit the perception of the South

It also doesn't fit the narrative of Ole Miss (Ghosts of Mississippi) being the only interesting thing in Mississippi during the 1960s.

LC Dawg
09-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I think the reason that Chucky's story is such a big story across the league and even the nation is that people got to know him after his injury and before his death. I was a student when Rodney Stowers died and I still get emotional thinking about hearing that for the first time. Hearing about Keefer McGee and Nick Bell was tough but Stowers' death was super tough on me I guess because he was a classmate and I had seen him on campus some.
Also, let me add that my admiration of Jackie Sherrill is somewhat derived from watching him deal with Rodney Stowers' and Keefer McGee's deaths.

BeardoMSU
09-02-2014, 08:51 PM
It also doesn't fit the narrative of Ole Miss (Ghosts of Mississippi) being the only interesting thing in Mississippi during the 1960s.

Well, that was a big part of our state's history, unfortunately.

I sure would like to see the difference in our culture's at the time acknowledged.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Exactly. Just watching the previews of the Chucky documentary Thursday night, looks like another hit piece to portray Mississippi as racist in the late 80s & early 90s. Then Chucky gets injured and that miraculously begins to change. The South's legacy after the War of Northern Aggression continues being re-written, especially Mississippi. Hell, we still wear overalls, go barefoot, and wonder what indoor plumbing is.***

JDog13
09-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Yeah you won't see that much. The nation doesn't want us to move up the ladder. They want us to stay in our place at the bottom. Showing something positive about Mississippi doesn't fit their MO.

DawgHouseUnited
09-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Could they be waiting until closer to basketball season?

Political Hack
09-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Yeah you won't see that much. The nation doesn't want us to move up the ladder. They want us to stay in our place at the bottom. Showing something positive about Mississippi doesn't fit their MO.

"If it bleeds, it leads." It's not a slight against Mississippi. it's just how the media cycle works generally.