PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone understand this?

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2014, 03:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/87652/sec-power-rankings-week-1-3

MSU is ranked above ranked teams in the ESPN power rankings, but yet not ranked themselves.

Any theories on how this happens?

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 03:20 PM
I understand polls are stupid and thats about it haha.

Most interesting thing to me was what he said about Bo. Will the real Bo stand up? Ummmm, he did stand up. Thats the real Bo Wallace

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Typical. At this point, I hope we stay unbanked until we play LSU. I want them to overlook us and us come out and punch them in the mouth. I want so badly for us to go 11-1 this season and give the ole Hugh Freeze middle finger to the media

LiterallyPolice
09-02-2014, 03:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/87652/sec-power-rankings-week-1-3

MSU is ranked above ranked teams in the ESPN power rankings, but yet not ranked themselves.

Any theories on how this happens?

No theories necessary... I KNOW how this happens: ESPN (or, at least the ESPN writers who make the Power Rankings) thinks we are better than those teams. The consensus among those that vote for the AP/coaches poll feel otherwise.

Obviously, two different polls can have different results.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Most interesting thing to me was what he said about Bo. Will the real Bo stand up? Ummmm, he did stand up. Thats the real Bo Wallace

That is exactly what I thought when I read it.

FlabLoser
09-02-2014, 03:27 PM
No theories necessary... I KNOW how this happens: ESPN (or, at least the ESPN writers who make the Power Rankings) thinks we are better than those teams.

Pretty sure power rankings are based on statistics, not opinions.

CousinEddie
09-02-2014, 03:31 PM
The team looks good on paper, which is why the power rankings were so high.

But until we translate that on to the field, its a moot statistic.

This is why I think we should open with halfway decent teams and not cupcakes. Make it a winnable game, but one that garners some more respect that the Bumbling Eagles

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 03:33 PM

This is why I think we should open with halfway decent teams and not cupcakes. Make it a winnable game, but one that garners some more respect that the Bumbling Eagles

Umm....USM WAS a halfway decent team when we scheduled them.

And screw that mentality. When you play Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, EVERY year....you don't need to schedule tough OOC.

LiterallyPolice
09-02-2014, 03:35 PM

I don't think that is the case for these power rankings. I'm sure, like any ranking, they rely heavily on stats.... but at the end of the day, it comes down to the opinions of a few select folks.

The central point still stands: Different polls/rankings/etc render different results.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Umm....USM WAS a halfway decent team when we scheduled them.

And screw that mentality. When you play Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, EVERY year....you don't need to schedule tough OOC.

Agreed. Like I said, especially early, polls are stupid. If we beat LSU at home people will quickly forget how bad USM is

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2014, 03:40 PM
The ESPN power rankings that I posted are all opinions. The ESPN Power Index is the stats poll I based on stats. The people at ESPN that cover the SEC think we are better than OM right now.

Bully Dee Williams
09-02-2014, 04:03 PM

They also run about 10,000 computer simulations to determine power index.

LiterallyPolice
09-02-2014, 04:07 PM
They also run about 10,000 computer simulations to determine power index.

Again - I don't think these power rankings are the same as ESPN's Football Power Index ("FPI" - which does indeed rely heavily on stats and simulations). I think these power rankings are simply in the opinion of the SEC Blog contributors.

SignalToNoise
09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Straight from the bottom of the link Shotgun posted:

Edward Aschoff, Jeff Barlis, David Ching, Sam Khan Jr., Chris Low, Greg Ostendorf and Alex Scarborough contributed to these rankings.

Covercorner2
09-02-2014, 04:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/powerrankings/_/show/last

We are #26 in the "national" power rankings. Brad Edwards had us at #14..

MarketingBully01
09-02-2014, 04:28 PM

This has got to be a Bear Troll. This would be like an Ole Miss fan on Nafoom going by Bucky Beaver or The Beav....

RougeDawg
09-02-2014, 04:43 PM
The discrepancy in polls were created by the hype that ESPN has been building since they went all in on the #5 recruiting class promotion 2 years ago. That's why you hear the three names more each game than anything else ( Kimchee, Vagunsil, and Paidwell). This was repeated so many times, a snowball effect was created that has led to most people around the nation having a false perception that OM is a legitimate SEC contender this year.

There was no doubt in my mind that we are the better team before the season started. After viewing each team, there is no chance I would even ponder who is the better team now.

Eta: In this poll we are ahead of 4 other teams that are ranked ahead of us. If we had pulled a top 15 recruiting class one of the previous two seasons we are sitting 10-15 right now. That's the only thing I can see that effect preseason polls. History and recruiting classes, not reality and results.

cheewgumm
09-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm not bitching about it this year, until we actually beat someone. If we beat LSU, then let's talk.