PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins to be on Finebaum in a bit.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Finebaum called him the Minister of Mayhem

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 02:53 PM
5 pm per twitter

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Collins will be on in 7 minutes

Bump

preachermatt83
09-02-2014, 05:07 PM
McKinney = Ray Lewis says the Minister of Mayhem!!

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Great interview

Collins is the man. I love the way he started when Finebaum welcomed him, ha. Collins said "Hey Pawl, long time listener first time caller, love the show!"

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I like it. Collins seems like a really like able guy

TheRef
09-02-2014, 05:12 PM
I love his intro "Long time listener, first time caller. Thank you for having me on."

msstate7
09-02-2014, 05:18 PM
McKinney = Ray Lewis says the Minister of Mayhem!!

Did Collins say this? If so, he's just wrong. I watched ray Lewis at Miami and he was flat out dominant. I want BM to take over games like that. He has the potential, but he's not on Lewis' level right now

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 05:20 PM
He said it in the way that Bmac is intense and a leader. I don't think he meant it like he's as good or anything

mstatefan91
09-02-2014, 05:21 PM
He said it in the way that Bmac is intense and a leader. I don't think he meant it like he's as good or anything

This

msstate7
09-02-2014, 05:25 PM

Gotcha. Still a wonderful compliment

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
We need to do whatever necessary to hold onto Collins. Our success last year and potential success this year is due in large part to him. Without him we are 2011/2012 with Dak instead of Relf. If Mullen wins enough to jump jobs, Collins should be our next head coach, no questions asked IMO.

RougeDawg
09-02-2014, 05:52 PM
We need to do whatever necessary to hold onto Collins. Our success last year and potential success this year is due in large part to him. Without him we are 2011/2012 with Dak instead of Relf. If Mullen wins enough to jump jobs, Collins should be our next head coach, no questions asked IMO.

Mullen isn't leaving, and most likely Collins. We now have the money to keep any coach if we really want to. That's the only reason either would leave but we are at the top if HC salaries and have recently shown we will pay assistants. Mullen is not leaving because he is somewhere where he can be "The Coach" that all others are measured against.

Reason2succeed
09-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Hold on cowboy! First, let's stay off of the "if Mullen jumps jobs" but Collins being a great DC is very different from being a great HC. I would let the process play out because you might be surprised who would be interested in coming to Starkville now. But yeah, Collins is awesome.

Coach34
09-02-2014, 06:08 PM
only thing I worry about is Collins leaving to become a HC

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Mullen isn't leaving, and most likely Collins. We now have the money to keep any coach if we really want to. That's the only reason either would leave but we are at the top if HC salaries and have recently shown we will pay assistants. Mullen is not leaving because he is somewhere where he can be "The Coach" that all others are measured against.

Sort of like 2009, when he would have been the next coach at Florida had Urban not come back? What about 2010, where his name was mentioned at every single vacancy? That's not just the media, where there's smoke, there's fire. He hadn't gotten many calls since then so let's not go acting like we don't remember the past. You think our complete mental breakdown during recruiting after the Gator Bowl was just a coincidence?

If Florida calls after they fire Muschump, he goes. Hopefully they go after Petrino or somebody. They have the same money we do plus a ton. Salaries are just going up. Wait and see what Michigan offers to Harbaugh after this season (assuming Hoke chokes like I think he will).

TheRef
09-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Sort of like 2009, when he would have been the next coach at Florida had Urban not come back? What about 2010, where his name was mentioned at every single vacancy? That's not just the media, where there's smoke, there's fire. He hadn't gotten many calls since then so let's not go acting like we don't remember the past. You think our complete mental breakdown during recruiting after the Gator Bowl was just a coincidence?

Did he leave in either of those two instances? No. Stricklin has pretty much done anything possible to keep Mullen and crew together last year. Yeah we lost Les, but let's be honest, we needed him gone. Mullen's not leaving after getting all of this new stuff.

bluelightstar
09-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Got to say, if Mullen does well enough this year to be considered for the UF job -- it'd be hard to turn down Florida. Especially with the opportunity to follow an 'unpopular' guy in Will Muschamp. Only thing I'll say is that a lot of Florida folks are still very bitter about Urban Meyer, and so I don't know how they'd receive Mullen.

All that said, Mississippi State is a really good job right now if you don't mind coaching against Saban, Malzahn, Miles, and Sumlin every year (and if you do mind, you aren't the type of coach we want/need anyway).

TrapGame
09-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Megan Mullen hated living in Gainsville. She's on record about it. Hated the dirty looks and nasty comments she got in the grocery store after a loss. She also didn't like the cost of living issue either. Dan's millions go a whole lot further in MS. I really don't think Mullen goes anywhere. He's here for a long time.

maroonmania
09-02-2014, 07:16 PM

If Florida calls after they fire Muschump, he goes. Hopefully they go after Petrino or somebody. They have the same money we do plus a ton. Salaries are just going up. Wait and see what Michigan offers to Harbaugh after this season (assuming Hoke chokes like I think he will).

Look, I'm not saying Mullen won't leave if a Florida comes after him now but its NOT 2009 OR 2010. Mullen has put 6 years into this program building the talent base where he can now truly compete at a high level. He didn't have that talent in 09 and 10. He also didn't have the football facility that he wanted that he has now as well as a "big boy" stadium that creates a more definitive home field advantage and a stadium that can't be used negatively against us in recruiting. Yes, he could certainly leave, but he's WAY more invested in this program now than he was in 09 and 10. And IF he does leave, as was insinuated, there is pretty long line of highly qualified coaches that would be more than happy to take our job now. Again, that certainly wasn't the case 5 years ago.

Coach34
09-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Florida will not hire Dan Mullen back. This is not a guess

Now someone else may make a bid- but it wont be Foley

preachermatt83
09-02-2014, 08:23 PM
There is not but 1, maybe 2 programs in the country that I believe Dan would leave MSU for.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Florida will not hire Dan Mullen back. This is not a guess

Now someone else may make a bid- but it wont be Foley

I'll call your 'not a guess' and raise you, pal. If Mullen goes 10-2 or so, and Muschump tanks, Mullen will be on the short list. Bank that.

TheRef
09-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I'll call your 'not a guess' and raise you, pal. If Mullen goes 10-2 or so, and Muschump tanks, Mullen will be on the short list. Bank that.

Isn't there an unwritten rule in the SEC that you don't try to steal another member school's Head Coach? I seem to remember that.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Isn't there an unwritten rule in the SEC that you don't try to steal another member school's Head Coach? I seem to remember that.

Indeed, Slive kept TN from raiding Mullen after Kiffin left. Slive doesn't want us cannibalizing HCs within the conference.

MSUDeltadawg1971
09-02-2014, 10:42 PM
I did some Citrus work in Florida for over 3 years and worked with some of the Griffin bunch, as in Bill Hill Griffin, Mullen will not be going to Florida. When he left they all said it was no big loss.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 11:06 PM
I did some Citrus work in Florida for over 3 years and worked with some of the Griffin bunch, as in Bill Hill Griffin, Mullen will not be going to Florida. When he left they all said it was no big loss.

B...b...but Goat say Mullen will be on the short list. Once aGAIN, Goat is proven to be completely clueless.

Dawg61
09-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Mullen isn't going anywhere. He's spent years stacking his cupboard and he's going to enjoy it for a long time.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2014, 11:30 PM
The only coaching job that looks like it could come open that I think Mullen would consider is:

Michigan - Hoke has to win this year or he could be out. That being said, Mullen would probably have to win 10 games to be anywhere near the top of their list.

ScoobaDawg
09-03-2014, 12:41 AM
B...b...but Goat say Mullen will be on the short list. Once aGAIN, Goat is proven to be completely clueless.

as usual...
there is no chance dan is going back to florida.

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2014, 12:46 AM
The only coaching job that looks like it could come open that I think Mullen would consider is:

Michigan - Hoke has to win this year or he could be out. That being said, Mullen would probably have to win 10 games to be anywhere near the top of their list.

I honestly doubt he'd jump for Michigan. I don't know if that program can ever be what it once was. Of course, he might want to go head-to-head against his old boss, the Urban Legend. The only job I'd be worried about, and I doubt will be open any time soon, is Penn State. And that isn't a money issue, but moreso a "going home" issue. As the Bear said when asked why he came to Alabama, "Mama called." Same thing for Mullen & PSU in a lot of ways. But that's about the only school I'd be worried about in the slightest.

sbcmortgageman
09-03-2014, 04:56 AM

There is a 0% chance Florida would hire Mullen back. He'll never go back there.

MetEdDawg
09-03-2014, 07:12 AM
There are two things I've always said about Mullen and why he will stay:

1) In Starkville he gets to do things his way. There aren't many places in the country where you don't have hundreds of hands stirring the pot YOU are in charge of cooking. Besides the fact UF doesn't want him back, he wouldn't really be in charge down there. He gets a lot of leeway here in Starkville and so far he's built us into a sustainable program.

2) He has the opportunity to be the greatest coach ever at an SEC program. Hell he's already tied for 3rd on our wins list with Bellard at 37 which means he's basically halfway to Jackie. 5 more years with 8 wins each year and he would be the winningest coach of all time at one of the charter SEC member schools in only 10 years. He will have been in charge of at least one stadium renovation (hopefully more), making MSU football relevant, new facilities, etc. He gets to be a legend here. He's already said he can see his family being here. Why not stay 15-20 years and grow off the foundation he's built? He's going to be a legend here and he gets to do it at what many consider one of the three or four toughest jobs in the SEC. Bulilding something sustainable at MSU is a big time feat that will eventually get him and us national recognition.

Dawgface
09-03-2014, 07:25 AM
There is a 0% chance Florida would hire Mullen back. He'll never go back there.

Agree. Florida talk is complete nonsense.

Coach34
09-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Mullen could win a NC at State and Foley would not hire him back. It's personal Goat- not business.

Johnson85
09-03-2014, 08:55 AM
If Mullen wins enough to jump jobs, Collins should be our next head coach, no questions asked IMO.

There may not be any job Mullen will leave for. Obviously a school like Texas or UF or Bama or LSU could give him a Godfather offer, but short of him winning a national championship and maybe two, I'm not sure he's going to get an offer like that. But if he's looking at making an extra $250k a year to rebuild a program with sky high expectations, he will have to look at the fact that he has finally filled his cupboard at state, he has manageable expectations and enough credibility that he has a lot of leeway as far as how the program is run and job security, staying will increase the chances that his kids won't have to hop around like most coaches kids have to do, he won't have to deal with losing assistants for anything other than promotions at other schools, etc.

He might leave if he wants an easier path to a national championship. He might leave if he feels like the grind is getting to him and an extra $250k a year will help pad his account before he retires. There may just be a school he wants to coach at (people throw out PSU although I don't know if that's an assumption or if they know he really wants to go there). Otherwise he's got a pretty good gig.

rabbitthedawg
09-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Collins signed a two year contract last year and this is year one of that contract. He isn't going anywhere after this season.

Coach34
09-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Collins signed a two year contract last year and this is year one of that contract. He isn't going anywhere after this season.

His buyout is only 100K or something like that. It's highly unlikely Collins leaves unless it's for a HC gig. But you can't say he wouldn't leave to go to LSU, USC, A&M, or somewhere like that for sure.

Johnson85
09-03-2014, 10:35 AM

I suspect that if he gets a head coaching offer he likes, he will go and the contract won't prevent it.