PDA

View Full Version : Mullen confirms

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Shump is back for the UAB game. What do you guys expect from him? I think he will be a great addition to the backfield and will allow us to run a few more two back sets next to dak and J Rob. Also think it'll mean Nick Griffin won't have to play as a pure RB, which will help him I think. Should help blocking, too.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Shump is back for the UAB game. What do you guys expect from him? I think he will be a great addition to the backfield and will allow us to run a few more two back sets next to dak and J Rob. Also think it'll mean Nick Griffin won't have to play as a pure RB, which will help him I think. Should help blocking, too.

He'll be a great blocker. I'd rather JR and Griffin touch the ball though.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't know if I agree. I think he's a more powerful runner with comparable speed to griffin. Nick may be better receiving, though.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Shump will be the #2 RB behind J-Rob. He'll probably split carries with Griffin. I'd also expect him to be the FB when we go to the I-formation on the goalline. That said, piss on getting under center down there. We're a Shotgun/Pistol team, so let's do what we do. The only thing I'd like to see down there is some Inverted Wishbone. With Bear and Rojo/Ross. Or if we go 2 TE, Bear as the lone WR.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Shump will be the #2 RB behind J-Rob. He'll probably split carries with Griffin. I'd also expect him to be the FB when we go to the I-formation on the goalline. That said, piss on getting under center down there. We're a Shotgun/Pistol team, so let's do what we do. The only thing I'd like to see down there is some Inverted Wishbone. With Bear and Rojo/Ross. Or if we go 2 TE, Bear as the lone WR.

I like Dak in the pistol with Shump/Griffin on his hip and Jrob behind him w Malcolm at TE and Bear and a Ross/Rojo/Brown type on other side. Maybe he's saving that stuff and keeping it plain, though

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
I like Dak in the pistol with Shump/Griffin on his hip and Jrob behind him w Malcolm at TE and Bear and a Ross/Rojo/Brown type on other side. Maybe he's saving that stuff and keeping it plain, though

Kinda what I'm thinking, too. As I said in my game analysis, we were very vanilla on both sides Saturday night. We pretty much completely took the "read" out of our zone read attack and made it a predetermined handoff. You know that isn't happening in SEC play. I wouldn't look for us to do much differently the next two weeks, though.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 02:49 PM
That said, piss on getting under center down there.

Wrong.

Anybody that really knows football knows that was a well designed play, and it was there to be had. Griffin missed his block.

16:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUr6LA6xYcQ

1st down: Gain a couple
2nd down: Probably should have gotten creative
3rd down: Had we not gotten stuffed on 2nd, Dak probably scores here (even with Hill fairying around)
4th down: Griffin brain fart

UMCDawg16
09-02-2014, 02:51 PM
For my money, Shump is our #2 RB. After what I saw of him last year and after what I've seen from Nick, this year, I like Shump better. He is faster than Nick with more power. I'm really excited about his progression after what I've heard about his spring and fall camps. He should be our short yardage guy, IMO. Adding him to the line-up gives us a very, solid RB core.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Disagree. Like WMD and I said, we should spread out to give us more options.

Don't see how someone's opinion can be "wrong", but you are goat.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Wrong.

Anybody that really knows football knows that was a well designed play, and it was there to be had. Griffin missed his block.

16:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUr6LA6xYcQ

1st down: Gain a couple
2nd down: Probably should have gotten creative
3rd down: Had we not gotten stuffed on 2nd, Dak probably scores here (even with Hill fairying around)
4th down: Griffin brain fart

Did you ever stop and think WHY we completely effed up that entire sequence? Hell no you didn't. Everything that went wrong, including the blown assignment by both Griffin and the OL, can be attributed to us doing something we aren't comfortable with. Once aGAIN, we're a Shotgun/Pistol team. We barely practice sets with the QB under center, thus leading to mistakes like blown OL/FB assignments. Stick to who we are. We've got plenty of power running ability doing what we do without going under center.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Disagree. Like WMD and I said, we should spread out to give us more options.

Don't see how someone's opinion can be "wrong", but you are goat.

Goat still thinks Shumpert should be playing Safety, and Wes Rea should give up a year of eligibility to be a Grad Assistant. I wouldn't put too much into his comments on these subjects.

FlabLoser
09-02-2014, 03:31 PM
I expect whoever gets the #2 spot out of Griffin or Shump will depend on who can pick up their blocks inside the 5 yard line.

Griffin didn't help himself missing blocks on that goal line set.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 03:34 PM
I expect whoever gets the #2 spot out of Griffin or Shump will depend on who can pick up their blocks inside the 5 yard line.

Griffin didn't help himself missing blocks on that goal line set.

I would probably agree.
That being said, seeing Mullen give Beckwith a lot of time over Jamal and bring in the second team to reward them leads me to think Nick will continue to be the number two guy for a while as a reward and until Shump takes it. I think Shump will be our number two and getting the meat of back up carries down the stretch, but I would lean nick right now. Either way, good to have him back

Tough Dawg
09-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Shump will be the no. 2 behind Robinson. I'm anxious to see his explosiveness/power after a year in this weight program. Ashton has got one of the best attitudes/work ethics you'll ever see and will continue to get bigger/faster/stronger.

I'd imagined he's learned a pretty good lesson through all of this and has some motivation.

Homedawg
09-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Shump will be the no. 2 behind Robinson. I'm anxious to see his explosiveness/power after a year in this weight program. Ashton has got one of the best attitudes/work ethics you'll ever see and will continue to get bigger/faster/stronger.

I'd imagined he's learned a pretty good lesson through all of this and has some motivation.

Well he didn't learn it enough to keep him from getting suspended.

UMCDawg16
09-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Well he didn't learn it enough to keep him from getting suspended.

Here we go....

Tough Dawg
09-02-2014, 03:50 PM
My point was that he learned a lesson from the suspension which has been known was going to happen for a while.

headcoach98
09-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Shump too good just to be a primary blocker, use him like we used Robinson in our first game.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Shump too good just to be a primary blocker, use him like we used Robinson in our first game.

As the number one back??? Uhhh no

FlabLoser
09-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Griffin isn't a primary blocker either. Either Shump or Griff is gonna be #2 and I say it goes to whoever can block in general and block in that goal line set that Griff messed up.

All RBs gotta block, mayne.

Todd4State
09-02-2014, 04:42 PM
FWIW, I've heard some people say that they think that Shumpert is actually better than Robinson and that they are going to split carries. I guess we'll find out Saturday maybe.

Dawg61
09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Might not show it vs UAB but adding Shump also adds the diamond formation which makes me wooly

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Did you ever stop and think WHY we completely effed up that entire sequence? Hell no you didn't. Everything that went wrong, including the blown assignment by both Griffin and the OL, can be attributed to us doing something we aren't comfortable with. Once aGAIN, we're a Shotgun/Pistol team. We barely practice sets with the QB under center, thus leading to mistakes like blown OL/FB assignments. Stick to who we are. We've got plenty of power running ability doing what we do without going under center.

So you think our players are idiots? Well, I forgot you come from the hive-minded faction of the fanbase that thinks Mullen ruined Tyler Russell.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Might not show it vs UAB but adding Shump also adds the diamond formation which makes me wooly

No doubt. I just hope we use it this year

preachermatt83
09-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Shump is a good short yardage back. he will never be an every down back at MSU. He will always be an effective short yardage guy though. Next year our 1-2 punch will be JRob and Aeries.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm just curious about something.

Have all of you just conveniently forgotten that Shumpert was moved to FULLBACK during preseason camp??

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Shump is a good short yardage back. he will never be an every down back at MSU. He will always be an effective short yardage guy though. Next year our 1-2 punch will be JRob and Aeries.

Those two and shump in a diamond makes my pants grow

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm just curious about something.

Have all of you just conveniently forgotten that Shumpert was moved to FULLBACK during preseason camp??

Justin Griffith was a Fullback too.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Justin Griffith was a Fullback too.

Fullbacks may very well get carries. But I don't expect him to be our #2 ball carrier behind JR.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Fullbacks may very well get carries. But I don't expect him to be our #2 ball carrier behind JR.
Do you think nick will end the year with more carries? If not who?

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 05:40 PM

I do. Why wouldn't you? Aeris Williams is Redshirting and Griffin has had two knee surgeries and isn't much faster, if any, than Shumpert....so why wouldn't he be #2?

And for the record, I consider Griffin and Shumpert to be co-number 2's....hopefully out of the diamond formation.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Do you think nick will end the year with more carries? If not who?

Griffin, unless he's hurt.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I do. Why wouldn't you? Aeris Williams is Redshirting and Griffin has had two knee surgeries and isn't much faster, if any, than Shumpert....so why wouldn't he be #2?

And for the record, I consider Griffin and Shumpert to be co-number 2's....hopefully out of the diamond formation,

Griffin, until he gets hurt, like I said in the other post. And looking back at stats, Justin Griffith was never better than the #3 rusher in terms of carries. His carries were dwarfed in comparison to Duuntay's and Dicenzo's in 2000 and 2001.

From what I've seen, I don't think Shumpert is a great ball carrier, but is a great hitter. Just my opinion. But since he was moved to fullback, seems the coaches tend to agree. I'd be willing to bet that Williams redshirt will be yanked if Griffin goes down.

I'll eat crow if he comes out Saturday, or whenever, and dominates on the ground.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Griffin, unless he's hurt.

Well he has been. I think he plays a lot, and like I said, will start w more carries but shump will be number two down the stretch due to his health and superior talent at this stage.

preachermatt83
09-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Well he has been. I think he plays a lot, and like I said, will start w more carries but shump will be number two down the stretch due to his health and superior talent at this stage.

sorry bro, we usually agree but there is just no way I can agree with this statement. Shump is a great athlete but is no where close to having superior talent to griffin.

Tough Dawg
09-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Whoa....you will be easily proven wrong.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 05:58 PM
sorry bro, we usually agree but there is just no way I can agree with this statement. Shump is a great athlete but is no where close to having superior talent to griffin.

That's your opinion and fine. And I would agree if it weren't for the injuries griffin has had. Unfortunately, he's had them, and I think it's made him less powerful and quite possibly slower than shumpert. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but I think that shump will prove to be more effective as the season wears on. I think both should play a lot though

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Griffin, until he gets hurt, like I said in the other post. And looking back at stats, Justin Griffith was never better than the #3 rusher in terms of carries. His carries were dwarfed in comparison to Duuntay's and Dicenzo's in 2000 and 2001.

From what I've seen, I don't think Shumpert is a great ball carrier, but is a great hitter. Just my opinion. But since he was moved to fullback, seems the coaches tend to agree. I'd be willing to bet that Williams redshirt will be yanked if Griffin goes down.

I'll eat crow if he comes out Saturday, or whenever, and dominates on the ground.

Nobody said he would dominate on the ground. But neither will Griffin. JRob and Dak are the only two runners we have that will dominate on the ground. Griffin and Shumpert don't have the quickness and cutback ability to be every down backs like JRob.

Offshore Dawg
09-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Or we could watch the game Saturday, this must be lets bitch at each other day.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 06:17 PM

If we always waited for games to talk about who we'd like to see play, this message board wouldn't be very much fun, would it

smootness
09-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Shumpert was never moved to FB.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 06:19 PM

No, everything is going good for us right now, so Goat has to break out his "Woe is Us" attitude and find something to be depressed about.

Shumpert isn't good
Mullen will leave at the chance
What will we do if Collins leaves
Etc

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 06:33 PM
FWIW, I've heard some people say that they think that Shumpert is actually better than Robinson and that they are going to split carries. I guess we'll find out Saturday maybe.

Those people are idiots. Shump might be more physical, but J-Rob is one of the fastest players on the team. And we've repeatedly seen how hard he is to tackle with his low center of gravity. I like Shump, but J-Rob is a much, much more complete RB.

Coach34
09-02-2014, 06:44 PM

We dont have a FB in our offense unless we line up in the I- and hopefully we tossed that shit out the window on Sunday

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 06:45 PM
So you think our players are idiots? Well, I forgot you come from the hive-minded faction of the fanbase that thinks Mullen ruined Tyler Russell.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never came close to saying our players are idiots. We got stuffed because we made execution mistakes. And we made execution mistakes because we don't practice enough sets with the QB under center. It's not who we are on offense 98% of the time, so why would we be practicing it more? That's not a hard concept, but apparently you have trouble grasping it.

As for Russell, that's a completely different discussion. We've beaten that horse to death and then some. And for the second time in two sentences, you put words in my mouth. I've NEVER said Mullen ruined Russell. What I have said is that TR was a square peg trying to fit into the round hole of Mullen's offensive scheme. TR had a decent career. Unfortunately, he was also made of glass and stayed hurt. He compounded that by having a penchant for making bad decisions and throwing INTs. He also never figured out how to throw open his WRs and had to wait for them to break open before letting go of the ball. You can do that in HS, but that gets you beaten to a pulp in the SEC. Mullen coached up TR, but the problem is that TR was never as good as the hype surrounding him. I'd look for TR to have a nice career in Canada, if he wants to keep playing football.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 06:47 PM
We dont have a FB in our offense unless we line up in the I- and hopefully we tossed that shit out the window on Sunday

B....b...but Goat say the problem on that series was Griffin getting a block, not the I itself. Hope he tries to argue with you about it.

preachermatt83
09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Those people are idiots. Shump might be more physical, but J-Rob is one of the fastest players on the team. And we've repeatedly seen how hard he is to tackle with his low center of gravity. I like Shump, but J-Rob is a much, much more complete RB.

+1

chef dixon
09-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I've never seen people jump to conclusions as fast as they have with Shumpert not being able to be a good every down back. I'd have to lean the other way if you forced me to based on what I've seen from him as a true freshman, and I really hope he gets the opportunity to prove most of our fans wrong.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
I've never seen people jump to conclusions as fast as they have with Shumpert not being able to be a good every down back. I'd have to lean the other way if you forced me to based on what I've seen from him as a true freshman, and I really hope he gets the opportunity to prove most of our fans wrong.

Yep. It's ridiculous to write a guy off after his true freshman season when he got garbage reps

archdog
09-02-2014, 07:23 PM

Alright, this is how I see it. They are all good. Should Griffin have missed that block, no. Will it cost him playing time, maybe. But no matter who is on the field, we are looking good at running back. I dont care who they put in if they get the job done. Griffin will take that as a learning opportunity and learn from it. I would rather it happen on the first game of the year against USM than in 3 weeks against LSU. He will make up for that small mistake he made I will bet you.

Coach34
09-02-2014, 07:24 PM
I have a hard time believing that Shump could be any slower than Griffin was Saturday night

archdog
09-02-2014, 07:24 PM
If Shump would run to daylight and refuse to go down, that dude could be for real.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 07:28 PM
I have a hard time believing that Shump could be any slower than Griffin was Saturday night

Agreed. Griffin is a good player, but physically, coming into his true sophmore year, has got to be physically better right now

Coach34
09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Agreed. Griffin is a good player, but physically, coming into his true sophmore year, has got to be physically better right now

I love Griff for his heart and battling injuries- but if Shump cant beat him out- I'll be very disappointed. Griff couldnt start for Ole Missus- and they are very very average at RB.

maroonmania
09-02-2014, 08:26 PM
He also never figured out how to throw open his WRs and had to wait for them to break open before letting go of the ball. You can do that in HS, but that gets you beaten to a pulp in the SEC.

Absolutely Tyler's biggest flaw and its the reason that I think, even though he has the build and the arm to be an NFL QB, he won't be able to make it there even as a backup. In the NFL, if you have to see a guy is open before you release the ball, he likely won't be by the time the ball arrives. Just too much speed in an NFL secondary.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Yep. It's ridiculous to write a guy off after his true freshman season when he got garbage reps

Who's writing Shump off? Just in this thread I've said I think he's better than Griffin right now. And I personally have projected him to be the #2 RB behind J-Rob all offseason. All anyone has said is that based on what we've seen so far we wonder if Shump has the necessary top end speed and that he needs to work on running to space. There's still plenty of time for him to improve that and display the speed. But he is not better than J-Rob at this point, and any speculation otherwise is ridiculous.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I love Griff for his heart and battling injuries- but if Shump cant beat him out- I'll be very disappointed. Griff couldnt start for Ole Missus- and they are very very average at RB.

Agree that I'll be disappointed if Shump can't beat out Griff. I've said for a year now that the injuries have completely robbed Griff of his potential. It hurts to think what could have been with him. But I disagree that Griff wouldn't start for Mississippi. He'd be a damn fine power RB for them and set up their 15 scatbacks well.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 09:45 PM
B....b...but Goat say the problem on that series was Griffin getting a block, not the I itself. Hope he tries to argue with you about it.

Patrick Hanrahan says hello.

Be careful what you wish for, banana man.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Who's writing Shump off? Just in this thread I've said I think he's better than Griffin right now. And I personally have projected him to be the #2 RB behind J-Rob all offseason. All anyone has said is that based on what we've seen so far we wonder if Shump has the necessary top end speed and that he needs to work on running to space. There's still plenty of time for him to improve that and display the speed. But he is not better than J-Rob at this point, and any speculation otherwise is ridiculous.

He's talking about me, Mr. Imaginary Audience. You know, the guy who brings original thoughts to the table.

As for you, chef dixon.....couldn't it be easily said that the hive minds are annointing Shumpert (a guy moved from TB to FB) well before he's proven himself? Not the other way around. I'm in the minority, just like most genius minds usually are.

preachermatt83
09-02-2014, 10:19 PM
he will contribute but anyone who thinks that Shump will ever be the showcase back for MSU has obviously never seen Aeries play. He has the potential to be the most amazing RB to ever wear the maroon and white. Lance Pogue has seen a TON of rb's play and he said that "Aeries is the greatest RB he has ever seen play and its not even close" Shump is an amazing athlete but I am beginning to think his future is not on the offensive side of the ball. If you ever saw him play Safety in HS you would agree with me.

Coach34
09-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Aeris will not be the best RB to play at State. If he was THAT good- he wouldn't be RS'ing.

msstate7
09-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Aeris will not be the best RB to play at State. If he was THAT good- he wouldn't be RS'ing.

Not that I think aeris will be, but that's pretty definite considering he's never even stepped on the field

The last two heisman winners were RS's

CadaverDawg
09-03-2014, 07:07 AM

He chose to redshirt, and see mstate7's post above. Not saying he will be our best ever, but that's a ridiculous statement

MaxedOutMaroon
09-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Sometimes MSU fans annoy me with "always looking ahead." Look at now, if you don't understand that JRob is the most complete back right now, you probably don't know much about football and just have favorite players. JRob averages over 6 yards per carry for his career. Every time I watch him run, I look for him to get arm tackled or go down on first contact. Literally, cannot recall a time. Shumpert is good, but stop selling Robinson short and enjoy a great season this season

CadaverDawg
09-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Sometimes MSU fans annoy me with "always looking ahead." Look at now, if you don't understand that JRob is the most complete back right now, you probably don't know much about football and just have favorite players. JRob averages over 6 yards per carry for his career. Every time I watch him run, I look for him to get arm tackled or go down on first contact. Literally, cannot recall a time. Shumpert is good, but stop selling Robinson short and enjoy a great season this season

Who sold Robinson short? All I've seen is people talking about who our #2 guy is. But maybe I missed the posts you're referring to.

Coach34
09-03-2014, 07:43 AM
He chose to redshirt, and see mstate7's post above. Not saying he will be our best ever, but that's a ridiculous statement

Its not ridiculous at all. Griff and Shump wouldn't be that hard to beat out for reps if Aeris was a bigtime difference maker toting the rock. It's that simple. And playing RB is a lot different than playing QB. 3x as much to learn to play QB.

And years run together for me- but didn't A&M have a 1st round draft pick at QB the year Manziel RS'ed???? He also RS'ed for a different coach than Sumlin

MaxedOutMaroon
09-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Page 2 post 1 "I heard that they think shumpert is actually better than Robinson and they will split carries." The post kind of disturbed me and I should've quite replied for it to make sense. My apologies for the over generalization.

msstate7
09-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Its not ridiculous at all. Griff and Shump wouldn't be that hard to beat out for reps if Aeris was a bigtime difference maker toting the rock. It's that simple. And playing RB is a lot different than playing QB. 3x as much to learn to play QB.

And years run together for me- but didn't A&M have a 1st round draft pick at QB the year Manziel RS'ed???? He also RS'ed for a different coach than Sumlin

Do you feel Perkins or jrob was a better rb last year? I think it was jrob, yet Mullen gave the majority of PT to perk. Just bc one player gets more PT doesn't mean he's the best under Mullen which is kinda sad. (I like Mullen, but wish he did some things differently)

DudyDawg
09-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Page 2 post 1 "I heard that they think shumpert is actually better than Robinson and they will split carries." The post kind of disturbed me and I should've quite replied for it to make sense. My apologies for the over generalization.

Other than someone making that dumbass argument, this is more about Griffin v Shumpert. It's clear to anyone that isn't mentally missing a few screws that Robinson is our clear number one.

shoeless joe
09-03-2014, 10:44 AM
he will contribute but anyone who thinks that Shump will ever be the showcase back for MSU has obviously never seen Aeries play. He has the potential to be the most amazing RB to ever wear the maroon and white. Lance Pogue has seen a TON of rb's play and he said that "Aeries is the greatest RB he has ever seen play and its not even close" Shump is an amazing athlete but I am beginning to think his future is not on the offensive side of the ball. If you ever saw him play Safety in HS you would agree with me.

Whoa now! You will not find a bigger Aeris supporter than myself but reality compels me to disagree strongly. Aeris' skill set is very similar to shump's. He may be better suited to use those skills but at this point they are very similar. I just think posts like this are not fair to Aeris. He will work his way into being a solid player, no matter which position that ends up being.

Coach34
09-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Do you feel Perkins or jrob was a better rb last year? I think it was jrob, yet Mullen gave the majority of PT to perk. Just bc one player gets more PT doesn't mean he's the best under Mullen which is kinda sad. (I like Mullen, but wish he did some things differently)

Overall- Perkins was the better RB...Perkins pass blocked, caught the ball, and knew what to do better than JRob. But toting the rock- JRob was better.

msstate7
09-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Overall- Perkins was the better RB...Perkins pass blocked, caught the ball, and knew what to do better than JRob. But toting the rock- JRob was better.

So in theory, aeris COULD be the best at running the ball and still get RSed bc he can't do the other things as well yet?

Coach34
09-03-2014, 10:58 AM
So in theory, aeris COULD be the best at running the ball and still get RSed bc he can't do the other things as well yet?

No- because if he was- he would get carries- just like JRob did last year

msstate7
09-03-2014, 11:00 AM
No- because if he was- he would get carries- just like JRob did last year

JRob was a soph last year, but whatever

Coach34
09-03-2014, 11:04 AM
I think Aeris is gonna be a good player- but if he was a game-changer he would be playing

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2014, 11:11 AM

This. If Aeries was as great as he's being hyped to be, he'd be no worse than #2 on the depth chart right now. Instead, he struggled to separate himself from Griffin, who's a shell of his former self, and Shump, who has looked ok but not great as a garbage time RB. And RB is by far the easiest position to be able to get yourself onto the field as a true freshman. He's going to be good, but I don't see him being the best ever at MSU.

confucius say
09-03-2014, 11:13 AM

If we get under center, just run a QB sneak. Do that four times. You get two yards. Same thing Boise should have done Thursday night with first and goal from the one. Why take the ball off the line of scrimmage at all?

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Whoa now! You will not find a bigger Aeris supporter than myself but reality compels me to disagree strongly. Aeris' skill set is very similar to shump's. He may be better suited to use those skills but at this point they are very similar. I just think posts like this are not fair to Aeris. He will work his way into being a solid player, no matter which position that ends up being.

This is what I've seen on tape, too. Aeries is a power back who will run over you, but he isn't going to run away from a lot of players at the college level. The one difference is I think he's already better at running to space than Shump.

msstate7
09-03-2014, 11:20 AM
I doubt seriously that aeris will be the best ever here. I do think it's way too early to say what he will be either way though.

preachermatt83
09-03-2014, 12:27 PM

you cannot be serious.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e0/e09b713eaeb6f8b0676219409e78b58c5d0109c54ed5e6a18c 5a83e8488debde.jpg

Coach34
09-03-2014, 12:43 PM
you cannot be serious.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e0/e09b713eaeb6f8b0676219409e78b58c5d0109c54ed5e6a18c 5a83e8488debde.jpg

dude, I made you look worse than Jim Baker the other day about OL blocking- please don't make me hurt your feelings again

defiantdog
09-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Aeris could be playing this year. I thought it was his choice to redshirt. Who knows how good he's going to be, but he would be behind 3 guys that know the playbook and know what Mullen expects. I really don't know what the issue is there. It's a good choice for him to mature in the system and become more knowledgeable with the system. As for Shump, he'll take over the 2 spot. Griffin has a ton of heart, but I think Shump still over takes his spot.

DudyDawg
09-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Aeris could be playing this year. I thought it was his choice to redshirt. Who knows how good he's going to be, but he would be behind 3 guys that know the playbook and know what Mullen expects. I really don't know what the issue is there. It's a good choice for him to mature in the system and become more knowledgeable with the system. As for Shump, he'll take over the 2 spot. Griffin has a ton of heart, but I think Shump still over takes his spot.

Completely agree with all of that. At the end of the day, our backfield is in damn good shape right now

Tough Dawg
09-03-2014, 02:15 PM
A lot of dumbassery in this thread. You all need to stop.

preachermatt83
09-03-2014, 02:21 PM
dude, I made you look worse than Jim Baker the other day about OL blocking- please don't make me hurt your feelings again

hahahahahahaha!! I gotta give it to ya, That was classic. Nice!! you are wrong but still, that was pretty funny.

Tough Dawg
09-03-2014, 02:25 PM
To say that Williams can't/won't be the best RB at MSU because he's not playing right now is the worst statement in this entire thread. How are you judging that? Have you seen him practice during the closed practices? Wouldn't we and he want to maximize his time here at MSU such has being on campus 5 years (practicing/weight program) to play 4 yrs on the field? One thing I've noticed with Mullen is his effective use of the redshirt. These kids are noticeably changing physically for the better from when they arrive on campus to when they suit it up their RS freshman year.

Todd4State
09-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Here's the thing about running backs in today's game of football. It's getting to where you need more than one any way. The exception being if you have Adrian Peterson or someone like that.

Having guys that plow over people is not the worst thing in the world.

tcdog70
09-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Shump is a Stud Hoss-give Him the ball. He will be on the same level as JROB before too long.

Coach34
09-03-2014, 05:07 PM
hahahahahahaha!! I gotta give it to ya, That was classic. Nice!! you are wrong but still, that was pretty funny.

Wrong? Ok- prove it

Coach34
09-03-2014, 05:15 PM
To say that Williams can't/won't be the best RB at MSU because he's not playing right now is the worst statement in this entire thread. How are you judging that? .

to be the best RB in school history- he is going to have to be an elite RB. Elite RB's don't RS- especially when they are competing with Nick Griffin and Ashton Shumpert for reps.

If he was a game changer- he would be playing. He is going to be good though- and we will see where he shakes out.

Reminds me of the all the Tyler Russell BS. People said he would be our best ever and start 4 years. The guy started 1 season out of 5 at State.

smootness
09-03-2014, 06:35 PM
He's talking about me, Mr. Imaginary Audience. You know, the guy who brings original thoughts to the table.

As for you, chef dixon.....couldn't it be easily said that the hive minds are annointing Shumpert (a guy moved from TB to FB) well before he's proven himself? Not the other way around. I'm in the minority, just like most genius minds usually are.