1.less missed assignments on the offensive line
2. Clayborne start and beckwith move to the swing guard
3. Hollaway never return a punt again
4. I want to see 4 WR sets with tubby, bear, and the Freds
5. Hutch has got to be used in the redzone. The dude is 6'7

MaxedOutMaroon
09-02-2014, 09:30 AM
1. Shumpert be the inside the 5 RB and a jump pass to Hutch or Bear
2. Dillion Day more worried about blocking during the play than being dirty after the play. (Seriously, did anyone else notice his dirty antics?)
3. Chris Jones start over PJ. I know it's 50/50 on snaps but come on man.
4. Josh Rob touch the ball more.
5. Less missed OL assignments

Covercorner2
09-02-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm afraid we won't see much stuff like #4 and #5 in an attempt to be as "vanilla" as possible, unless UAB forces our hand and we have to...

This is in regards to first post

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2014, 09:44 AM
1. Kick a few field goals, even if it means we don't complete a few drives that we should. We need our kickers, team, and fans to gain confidence in the kicking game. I'm afraid it has become a cancer in which people are just waiting for something bad to happen.

2. Offensive line to be a little better. It wasn't all their fault on the goal line, and hopefully Shump coming back will help with the blocking down there.

3. The coaching staff isn't going to allow Dak to run much right now. So it's going to look odd back there sometimes when he looks like a dog that touched an electric fence.

4. Defense to continue to look suffocating. They don't have to shut UAB out, but it would be nice for UAB not to find a hole in our defense.

5. I'm not sure why it matters who starts between PJ Jones & Chris Jones. Both are very good, and we play both for depth reason. Not sure why this matters to any MSU fan.

EdDawg
09-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Yes Day does tend to play dirty at times, however I would rather have a lineman like him rather than someone who is soft.

Hutch needs more reps especially in these early games. He was thrown to once over the middle and dropped the ball due to being timid about getting hit. I believe he will come out of that with more reps and catches.

TheRef
09-02-2014, 09:50 AM
You want your OL to have a mean streak. If your OL can't be mean, they are no good.

Jacksondevildog
09-02-2014, 09:52 AM
I don't want to see us throw a jump ball on the 3 yard line.

No Holloway returning punts.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-02-2014, 09:53 AM
On the chris jones pj jones thing, are they playing a matchup game where they want the better DL with the weaker LB group?

Reason2succeed
09-02-2014, 09:59 AM
1) With the death of Tubby's brother I doubt you will see him on Saturday. He should take some time if he needs it. Dak needed it last year and his injury forced him to take it.
2) Yes, I want to see Shump and some FB work.
3) Insane Offensive Execution - OL, QB, and WR all clicking from the start of the game
4) More defensive domination - stuff the run and pass, minimize 3rd down conversions
5) Last but not least - ST work - kick some FGs, return some punts and the one KO (only one because I don't want UAB to score at all)

MaxedOutMaroon
09-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I definitely see the points against my list, especially concerning the mean streak. I just kept thinking if that gets called against LSU, Bama, AU, or A&M, we're screwed. I also see what you are saying concerning PJ vs. CJ, but come on man. Contrast the eruption each player will get on the intros. Side note: I know PJ, have had a few conversations with the guy. He's super nice, but trust me he cares more for himself than the team. just slightly and not enough to hurt us per say, but enough to not start

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2014, 10:02 AM
1) With the death of Tubby's brother I doubt you will see him on Saturday. He should take some time if he needs it. Dak needed it last year and his injury forced him to take it.
2) Yes, I want to see Shump and some FB work.
3) Insane Offensive Execution - OL, QB, and WR all clicking from the start of the game
4) More defensive domination - stuff the run and pass, minimize 3rd down conversions
5) Last but not least - ST work - kick some FGs, return some punts and the one KO (only one because I don't want UAB to score at all)

I bet Tubby plays. He has already dedicated this season to his brother, and I doubt he'll want to sit out. I'm not saying that he should play, but I just don't seem him sitting this one out.

DawgHouseUnited
09-02-2014, 10:03 AM
1. Kick a few field goals, even if it means we don't complete a few drives that we should. We need our kickers, team, and fans to gain confidence in the kicking game. I'm afraid it has become a cancer in which people are just waiting for something bad to happen.

This. My wife didn't understand why I cheered every time we made a PAT. "We made all of the kicks except that one FG," she said... I told her I was just happy that we made something. I'm like you said, Shotgun, I need something to boost my confidence in the kicking.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-02-2014, 10:08 AM
I cheered every time we made a PAT. I told her I was just happy that we made something.

I reacted the same way, plus holding my breath during the PATs

tcdog70
09-02-2014, 10:23 AM
do away with the Dak under center in the Red Zone, unless he is going to sneak it. Please run the Diamond formation inside the ten yard line.

LiterallyPolice
09-02-2014, 10:40 AM
I reacted the same way, plus holding my breath during the PATs

This is certainly unorthodox... but I would not be upset if we got up big and intentionally created some FG situations between 30 and 40 yds out. Get it down to the 20 yd line and run it up the middle 3 times.

Let our kicker(s) get some low-pressure experience kicking it in an actual game situation with 60,000 people watching. The bottom line is you can't simulate that in practice.

ScoobaDawg
09-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Keep it vanilla and plain and dominate as we can with our base offense much like we did against Southern. We are not going to trot out too many new things to practice them in a game when we don't need to show them to LSU.

I'd prefer not to have to kick a fg because I dont trust our kicking unit but if they are to get some work this wouldn't be a bad spot when it shouldn't make much difference.

msstate7
09-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Not sure why all the calls for hutch in the passing game. Malcolm is one of our biggest advantages in the passing game IMO.

TrapGame
09-02-2014, 11:46 AM
do away with the Dak under center in the Red Zone, unless he is going to sneak it. Please run the Diamond formation inside the ten yard line.

I bet we won't see a diamond formation until the LSU game.

Pollodawg
09-02-2014, 12:00 PM
I want to see the offense get even faster and more efficient. People tend to forget that last week was the first time we broke out the HUNH, and we looked a little spotty after drive number one until we hit our stride in the 2nd qtr. I'll bet we are even more efficient this week, and that's what I want to see.

Honestly, I think we'll be fine on the OL. Every team has hiccups game one.

The D can't get cocky. They're good. They know they're good they might be the best in the nation, but they will absolutely have to keep their edge. The best can have a bad game and fall off.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Not sure why all the calls for hutch in the passing game. Malcolm is one of our biggest advantages in the passing game IMO.
Agreed. He's one of the best weapons at TE in the league.

GreenheadDawg
09-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Because he's 6'7. That's why

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 12:28 PM
He could be 7'5, doesn't matter if he alligator arms balls because he's scared

thf24
09-02-2014, 12:34 PM
2. Clayborne start and beckwith move to the swing guard

I think we'll see that once conference play starts, but I feel like Mullen was rewarding Beckwith with the start and more playing time, and will continue to do so in these next two games.

msstate7
09-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Malcolm is already a weapon though. If Malcolm was ineffective, I'd understand the calls for hutch more. I would like to see some double te sets

GreenheadDawg
09-02-2014, 12:43 PM
He could be 7'5, doesn't matter if he alligator arms balls because he's scared

So because of one missed pass we shouldn't use him. Makes sense **. I'm talking about using him in the redzone

GreenheadDawg
09-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Malcolm is already a weapon though. If Malcolm was ineffective, I'd understand the calls for hutch more. I would like to see some double te sets

I totally agree with you, I love MJ. I'm strictly talking about using hutch in the redzone.

deltadawg99
09-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I doubt that you will see much of a change in play calling from last week to this week. UAB smoked Troy, but we should still be able to take care of business.

I would like to see JRob get more touches, but I am sure that the coaches are going to want to get the starters out of their asap and taking as few hits as possible. You will likely see a lot of Shump since he didn't play this past Saturday.

If we are going to the I formation inside the 5 we either need to have Shump at fullback or not use it and have Dak in the gun. Griffin didn't touch anybody, especially on the 4th down play.

I thought that the kickoffs and punts were improved from last year. I haven't looked at the stats, but from a spectating point of view they seem to have good distance and hang time.

The OL will get better each game. I personally would like to see Clayborn starting ahead of Beckwith, but for whatever the staff always seems to give the nod to the upperclassmen.

Field goal execution is my biggest concern. That miss on Saturday was on the snapper. I know it had been raining, but we can't afford to miss field goals like we did last year.

dawgs
09-02-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't want to see us throw a jump ball on the 3 yard line.

No Holloway returning punts.

He's talking about the Tebow jump pass where he steps forward like he's running a QB power, but then pops up and jumps to throw a little pass to a usually wide open TE or WR in the back of the end zone. It's not a jump pass in the sense of the defender and receiver both jumping for a 50/50 ball.

mparkerfd20
09-02-2014, 01:27 PM
1. No injuries.

Nothing else matters as I think it's just nitpicking at this point.

DudyDawg
09-02-2014, 02:20 PM
I totally agree with you, I love MJ. I'm strictly talking about using hutch in the redzone.

Not saying we shouldn't use him, just that he shouldn't take playing time from a proven weapon that we already posses in MJ.