PDA

View Full Version : Hoover contract ends in a couple years

FlabLoser
05-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Could Trustmark Park get the SEC tournament, our would they be banned over our state flag?

Original48
05-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Probably State flag plus conference Missipi Southern plays there I believe. Maybe they just played there last year. Would love to at least see it rotate...Including Trustmark and Memphis.

FFF
05-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Memphis was dumped last year for the Met again (Autozone holds more and is MUCH nicer than the Met)... Autozone is twice the size of Trustmark. Trustmark would really need another 5K seats to be reasonably considered for the SECT...

BurgDawg
05-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it got moved to the new regions park in downtown Birmingham

Requiem For A Dawg
05-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Trustmark doesn't seat enough. The game should be permanently moved to Memphis.

Todd4State
05-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Trustmark Park lost the C-USA Tournament. I'm not sure why- it was well run and everything. The C-USA Tournament is in Houston this year.

Trustmark Park hosted the Atlanta Braves successfully and has hosted the C-USA Tournament pretty well- at least in my opinion. I think Jackson is perfectly capable of hosting it. To me, they have always handled big crowds well- I know some people bitch, but I'm sorry if they are upset that they weren't able to leave an event attended by over 8K people and be on the Interstate in 5 minutes flat.

I also think Memphis would be a better overall option.

As I have said before- the real issue is politics. It has very little to do with attendance and RV's. Sadly, it also has very little to do with what the fans want as well. Hoover knows how to host it, which means that they don't have to train anybody, and the SEC is comfortable with them. I'm sure they have deals with all the hotels that are putting the players up for the night, and all of the other logistics that no one thinks about. Like having a place for a team to practice which is probably a local high school. All of those things are issues that the SEC would have to establish in Memphis or wherever if they decide to move it.

Also, Birmingham is about to build a new baseball stadium for the Barons. I'll be interested to see how that comes into play. A city having two- really having three if you count Rickwood Field- viable baseball venues is an advantage because then you could play two games at one time and avoid what happened to us the other night.

Todd4State
05-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it got moved to the new regions park in downtown Birmingham

Rumor I heard was it was staying in Hoover- at least for the time being. It might be like when Trustmark Park was first built and the Mayor's Trophy was staying at Smith-Wills. Moving that game was quite possibly the first thing that MSU and Ole Miss unanimously agreed to ever.

Dawgbite
05-23-2013, 06:29 AM
Matt &Dick talked about this a while yesterday and both said Trustmark would never get the tournament. One, it doesn't seat enough, only about 8500. Two, it doesn't have the room or infrastructure to support the media. They said there was 8 radio crews broadcasting at the same time yesterday at Hoover. The flag wasn't mentioned. They said a rotation between Hoover, Memphis, New Orleans, and one I don't remember could be a possibility. Like the Bama flag isn't modeled after the Stars and Bars, sheesh !

Quaoarsking
05-23-2013, 06:36 AM
The flag issue is an NCAA rule for predetermined NCAA sites (like the NCAA basketball tournament). The SEC would never adopt such a targeted, asinine rule.

Will James
05-23-2013, 07:16 AM
The flag issue is an NCAA rule for predetermined NCAA sites (like the NCAA basketball tournament). The SEC would never adopt such a targeted, asinine rule.

When did they start implementing this because I know Atlanta had Final Fours and etc when they still had the Confederate Battle Flag in their state flag.

Hump4Hoops
05-23-2013, 07:20 AM
When did they start implementing this because I know Atlanta had Final Fours and etc when they still had the Confederate Battle Flag in their state flag.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Memphis is the logical choice to move the tournament to. Nicer stadium, in downtown, all the amenities of a large city are right there so fans can come and go as they please. I am for rotating the tournament similar to what basketball does. The fun of tournaments is going to new places, in my opinion Hoover is played out and I doubt they want to keep a stadium going that is used once a year, or they will let it become a bigger dump than it already is. Hell, Memphis gave us the best deal and we still stayed at that crap hole, so SEC politics is the determining factor on where the tournament goes.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Zero chance it is moved from hoover. Zero.

dickiedawg
05-23-2013, 08:14 AM
I think Hoover is a great site for the tournament. It's centrally located, has plenty of parking. I'm very fond of the seating structure, with it being a lot of general admission and some great ga seats. The RVers love it, for whatever that's worth.
I know a lot of folks would prefer a little variety- personally I think it would be a blast to have it at autozone- but Hoover works out really well for us with it being so close, and they really do a great job with the logistics.

ghostofjackie
05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Personally, I'd like to see it in New Orleans at Zephyr Park. New Orleans would b a kick ass type place to host a baseball tournament. Although they have a beautiful park, Memphis just doesn't do it for me.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Personally, I'd like to see it in New Orleans at Zephyr Park. New Orleans would b a kick ass type place to host a baseball tournament. Although they have a beautiful park, Memphis just doesn't do it for me.

ummmmm.....why? Middle of nowhere. The park needs some serious upgrades and is falling apart. Why not just do it at the dome if youre going to do it in NOLA.

ghostofjackie
05-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Because the dome is no longer able to host baseball since the renovations. The stadium is no worse than the Hoover Met and New Orleans is always a fun city. I'll be honest, Memphis is one of my least favorite cities (after Jackson).

ghostofjackie
05-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Matt &Dick talked about this a while yesterday and both said Trustmark would never get the tournament. One, it doesn't seat enough, only about 8500. Two, it doesn't have the room or infrastructure to support the media. They said there was 8 radio crews broadcasting at the same time yesterday at Hoover. The flag wasn't mentioned. They said a rotation between Hoover, Memphis, New Orleans, and one I don't remember could be a possibility. Like the Bama flag isn't modeled after the Stars and Bars, sheesh !

Lets go ahead and be honest and scratch this idea all together. NOBODY in charge of determining where the tournament is will be in favor of Jackson. I have a love hate relationship with Jackson because I care about it and it's my state capitol, but outsiders will never look at Jackson as a good host site for anything. They poo-pood that away then the decision was made to build Trustmark Park in Pearl instead of downtown.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Lets go ahead and be honest and scratch this idea all together. NOBODY in charge of determining where the tournament is will be in favor of Jackson. I have a love hate relationship with Jackson because I care about it and it's my state capitol, but outsiders will never look at Jackson as a good host site for anything. They poo-pood that away then the decision was made to build Trustmark Park in Pearl instead of downtown.

all of this is a moot point. It will never leave Hoover. Ever. No amount of bitching to get it to memphis or nashville or NOLA or Atlanta will help. Even if they did move it, Jackson is not an option.

Goat Holder
05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
This is dumb. A downtown park is probably not what the SEC wants. They probably like the idea of having ample room out in Hoover. Plus the SEC is in Birmingham, so that helps. Trustmark's problem is that it doesn't seat enough, period. Add on to that stadium and there's absolutely no reason why we couldn't host it in Mississippi. Maybe even that new field going in at Biloxi.