PDA

View Full Version : Punt Returner....

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Someone who "looks the part" to me that would have the speed you want plus is strong enough to make that first or second guy miss is Fred Ross. I just think Jameon and Holloway go down too easy....that's when they actually catch the ball.

Thoughts?

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Someone who "looks the part" to me that would have the speed you want plus is strong enough to make that first or second guy miss is Fred Ross. I just think Jameon and Holloway go down too easy....that's when they actually catch the ball.

Thoughts?

Not bad. I would prefer it be a defensive guy, like Redmond or Cox. Just put someone back there that can catch, and tell them to fair catch. At this point, simply catching it not losing yards on punt returns would be an upgrade.

defiantdog
09-01-2014, 06:39 PM

Thoughts?

Forget the speed.... let's just get a guy who can catch the damn ball every time. I'm all for Ross catching punt returns.

Todd4State
09-01-2014, 06:48 PM
If Fred can do it, I'm OK with it. As for a defensive guy, I'd go with Justin Cox.

yjnkdawg
09-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Thoughts?

Hadn't even thought of Fred Ross returning punts, but it sounds good to me, as well. I had pictured him as becoming an elite receiver.

Bo Darville
09-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Making guys miss is not the problem. Catching the ball and using good judgement is the problem. We lost 60-70 yards against Bama because Jameon muffed 1 punt and then let 2 more bounce and roll for 20-25 yards instead of fair catching. He fair caught a line drive against ole miss on the 5 instead of letting it go into the end zone. That resulted in us punting from the end zone with a 12 yard drop and the punt got blocked.

It is killing us. Go back and look at the yards lost last year. It is killing us. 60-70 yards against Bama alone.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Making guys miss is not the problem. Catching the ball and using good judgement is the problem. We lost 60-70 yards against Bama because Jameon muffed 1 punt and then let 2 more bounce and roll for 20-25 yards instead of fair catching. He fair caught a line drive against ole miss on the 5 instead of letting it go into the end zone. That resulted in us punting from the end zone with a 12 yard drop and the punt got blocked.

It is killing us. Go back and look at the yards lost last year. It is killing us. 60-70 yards against Bama alone.

Bo, you and I feel the same exact way about the punt return team. It is a major issue right now, even though many don't pay enough attention to just how much it is costing us in field position every week.

DCdawg
09-01-2014, 10:38 PM
I wish Jamerson Love would get a chance to return a punt or kickoff. He's quick and has pretty good speed. He played running back in high school. Obviously that's different from D1 football but he knows how to tote it.