PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Football Power Index

Covercorner2
09-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Check this out:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

starkvegasdawg
09-01-2014, 03:14 PM
This is our year. Time to nut up or shut up.

Bully Dee Williams
09-01-2014, 03:17 PM
If we don't have a huge year this year, it may never happen. Everything is there for us to win big. Just gotta put the pedal to the floor.

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 03:26 PM
It will not happen with Dan making bone headed decisions like be did Saturday night. He has got to leave the first team o on the field, let them stay in sync. If he keeps making calls like he did on the third possession Saturday night we won't compete in the west, we will be imbarrased . He has to keep Dak and the first team on the field.

GreenheadDawg
09-01-2014, 03:38 PM
It will not happen with Dan making bone headed decisions like be did Saturday night. He has got to leave the first team o on the field, let them stay in sync. If he keeps making calls like he did on the third possession Saturday night we won't compete in the west, we will be imbarrased . He has to keep Dak and the first team on the field.

Shirley you can't be serious

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 03:42 PM
100% . If he keeps yanking Dak in and out of the game how is the offense supposed to get in sync?

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2014, 03:44 PM

For goodness sakes man, we were playing USM and Dan had decided to play the backups on the 3rd possession prior to the game to reward them for working hard.

Do you know what that means to those players?
Do you know how much that helps the moral of the team?
Do you know how much more that motivates the backups to prepare each week and care?

If there is one thing I've learned about Mullen, it's that he could give two rips about what our ranking is, how many points we win by, or what the media thinks about us. All he cares about is building his team the best way he knows how.

When we play good teams, Mullen will obviously not sub in the 2n team for the 3rd series, but I agree with what he did the other night. When you reward hard work, you know what you get in return from your players? Hard work and respect. Both of which leads to discipline and leadership.

Mullen is a good coach because he respects his players rather than always using the media to say he needs better ones.

UMCDawg16
09-01-2014, 03:45 PM

Pay attention, Dan said pregame that no matter what, he was going to run our number 2s on the 3rd possession to reward them for their fall camp work. Dan knew this game was a laugher and could afford to do that. Won't happen in the big games.

Coach34
09-01-2014, 03:48 PM
100% . If he keeps yanking Dak in and out of the game how is the offense supposed to get in sync?

Dakota played every possession but 1 in the 1st half. How could he not get in sync?

Id be prepared for him to do it again Saturday. Mullen isnt looking at point spreads- he is looking at getting his back-ups playing time when the game is on the line so that they will be better players when called upon.

Coach34
09-01-2014, 03:49 PM
For goodness sakes man, we were playing USM and Dan had decided to play the backups on the 3rd possession prior to the game to reward them for working hard.

Do you know how much more that motivates the backups to prepare each week and care?

dead on

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Just so the troll with 7 posts doesn't high jack this thread, the ESPN power index is very interesting because all the other teams in the list appear to be in somewhat the order of the actual AP/Coach's Poll.

Due to this, it's hard to make a case that MSU slipped through the cracks. As this poll clearly states, we are by far the most undervalued team in college football.

But for some reason, the media cares more about recruiting rankings than actual play on the field. You can't make this stuff up.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 03:53 PM

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/04/embarassed-gif.gif

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Y'all make great arguments about the USM game, but has Dan not made these same dumbass calls in games that mattered last year or am I just imagining shit?

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Id be prepared for him to do it again Saturday. Mullen isn't looking at point spreads

Agree. I hope he does do it again on Saturday. If you have ever coached a day in your life, you would know one thing: It doesn't matter whether you are coaching Little League, High school, or in the NFL, when your whole roster has a role and knows that they will be counted upon to perform in some capacity, it enhances the team moral, team comradery, and makes every player focus on the preparation. We become a better team by doing this.

GreenheadDawg
09-01-2014, 03:59 PM

If there is one thing I've learned about Mullen, it's that he could give two rips about what our ranking is, how many points we win by, or what the media thinks about us. All he cares about is building his team the best way he knows how.
When we play good teams, Mullen will obviously not sub in the 2n team for the 3rd series, but I agree with what he did the other night. When you reward hard work, you know what you get in return from your players? Hard work and respect. Both of which leads to discipline and leadership.

Mullen is a good coach because he respects his players rather than always using the media to say he needs better ones.

You had more time to spell it out for him than I did

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Troll my ass. I have been a state fan from the day I was born and you can blow me. I love this university and everything it stands for . I bleed maroon and white now and will bleed it until the day I die. I can see where some of y'all are com

Beaver
09-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Does anyone know how the 'Team Efficiencies' are calculated? Trying to figure out how our Special Teams were 2x as 'efficient' as our offense. I'm guessing the goal line fail didn't help the offensive category...

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 04:02 PM
ing from, but Dan makes the most stupid in game decisions of any coach I have ever saw make a decision.

GreenheadDawg
09-01-2014, 04:16 PM
ing from, but Dan makes the most stupid in game decisions of any coach I have ever saw make a decision.

You should watch the beaver then

Covercorner2
09-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Yep. It's amazing what happens when you take away bias, history, recruiting rankings and perception away and actually look at things objectively. We are the most underrated team in college football...

LiterallyPolice
09-01-2014, 04:27 PM
We are #10 and are 4th in west. Brutal. Just Brutal.

I love being in the SEC West... But I'd also love to just once see how we'd fair in the SEC East, or with a team like FSU's schedule.

Coackjek
09-01-2014, 04:30 PM

I take it you didn't experience the Croom years

RougeDawg
09-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Yep. It's amazing what happens when you take away bias, history, recruiting rankings and perception away and actually look at things objectively. We are the most underrated team in college football...

Been trying to tell a bear buddy this all off season. If you took the names away from all teams and looked strictly at last year's stats and records, and who had what players returning (factoring experience and depth), that we should be ranked much higher than the bears pre-season. He, along with some fellow Dawgs, couldn't seem to fathom how I could say we should be perceived by the medial to be the better of the two teams, coming into the season. But we know who wins the press conference, and it puts us behind the 8 ball to start the season. A few more performances in a row, like this past saturday, will have us positioned nicely to make a run.

Reason2succeed
09-01-2014, 04:52 PM
The media wants to see us against top 25 team before anointing us. I do too. They are still scared of us falling apart when we go through LSU, ATM, Aub.

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I agree that we are the most underrated team in the west . This team has talent flowing out of its ears, but if Dan doesn't stop the dumbass personell decisions that he has made in past years we are all in for a huge let down. IE Perkins up the middle, Bell kicking 40yd field goal attempts after he has proven he can't make them, and bringing in the second team saturday on the third drive .I want the absolute best for this team and THE MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY. Y'all can make all the arguments you want, but Dan makes dumbass in game decisions that disrupt the flow that the players have going on between them. He has to keep Dak and the first team on the field and playing together, if not he is hurting the team. I don't understand why y'all can't see this. It has bit us in the ass in years past and will bite us in the ass this year if he keeps making stupid personell decisions. Maybe y'all see things this way because you haven't ever played football. There is a reason you are second team. You aren't good enough or old enough to be first team. Sit down, shut up and ride the bench you don't deserve anything for being second best .

Quaoarsking
09-01-2014, 04:55 PM
The FPI gives us a 48.2% chance of beating LSU. That's way higher than almost any observer, even one with maroon glasses, would give us:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=344&year=2014

CadaverDawg
I agree that we are the most underrated team in the west . This team has talent flowing out of its ears, but if Dan doesn't stop the dumbass personell decisions that he has made in past years we are all in for a huge let down. IE Perkins up the middle, Bell kicking 40yd field goal attempts after he has proven he can't make them, and bringing in the second team saturday on the third drive .I want the absolute best for this team and THE MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY. Y'all can make all the arguments you want, but Dan makes dumbass in game decisions that disrupt the flow that the players have going on between them. He has to keep Dak and the first team on the field and playing together, if not he is hurting the team. I don't understand why y'all can't see this. It has bit us in the ass in years past and will bite us in the ass this year if he keeps making stupid personell decisions. Maybe y'all see things this way because you haven't ever played football. There is a reason you are second team. You aren't good enough or old enough to be first team. Sit down, shut up and ride the bench you don't deserve anything for being second best .

They aren't second team, they're "1B".

DudyDawg
You deserve time for working your ass off all spring summer and fall and pushing the first team the be the best they can be, dumbass. Stop and think for a minute

CadaverDawg
The FPI gives us a 48.2% chance of beating LSU. That's way higher than almost any observer, even one with maroon glasses, would give us:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=344&year=2014

FPI? What is that?

Quaoarsking
09-01-2014, 04:59 PM
FPI? What is that?

Football Power Index. Not sure exactly how it's calculated.

TheRef
09-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Woah woah woah....I've played football before so you can shut that down.

#2: So you're saying that there is NO benefit to second team Offense to play meaningful downs in a game early in the season? Dan wanted to see how players would react in a real-game situation as opposed to a practice situation. We all know that there is a huge difference between the two, a la Devon Bell at Kicker. I don't see any harm in having the second team get meaningful snaps early in the season before SEC play. Why not see who all may not have shown out in practice but show out in the game? Also, Chris Jones is TECHNICALLY on the Second Team. So does that mean that he should "Sit down, shut up, and ride the bench"?

#3: Of all the games to bitch about Dan's in-game decisions you decide to pull the one where we beat an opponent 49-0 and could have done it worse? Really? Dan called one of his most conservative games, FOR A REASON. Also, he already told the team that he was going to put the second team in for the third series because of how well they did in camp. That's motivation for the second team to keep competing during practice. You want your team to get better? Make it a competition for playing time. The better you practice, the more PT you will get. Second team earned the right to get some meaningful PT.

#4: Sit down, shut up, and know our role Treemydawg.

/rant and I'm done

cheewgumm
09-01-2014, 05:01 PM
I was thrilled the backups were playing and hope they keep doing it as long as we can. We need linemen to get as many reps as they can... So rejoice every second they are in there.

Also Williams needs to play because the way that dak is gonna have to play once we play good teams, he is likely to get hurt. Williams needs a reps to be ready.

Be happy when the 1bs play. It will be worth it in time and it's
Super smart thing to do.

starkvegasdawg
09-01-2014, 05:02 PM
FPI? What is that?

I'll guess something percentage index. That's two out of three words and meatloaf says two out of three ain't bad.

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Obviously you were on the bench. You don't deserve anything for pushing anybody because you got run over and you are sitting on the bench because you weren't good enough to be 1-a. 1-b isn't all that bad but you don't deserve playing time because YOU AREN'T FIRST TEAM ( 1A)

TheRef
09-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Obviously you were on the bench. You don't deserve anything for pushing anybody because you got run over and you are sitting on the bench because you weren't good enough to be 1-a. 1-b isn't all that bad but you don't deserve playing time because YOU AREN'T FIRST TEAM ( 1A)

Nope. I was a starting OG. I WORKED my way up to a starting role. Want to know how I improved so much? Actual playing time! WOW!!! Amazing what playing meaningful snaps will do to a player's morale. Also, you're saying Chris Jones (First Team ESPN All-American) doesn't deserve PT because he's 1-B? Gotcha. I'll be sure to relay that to Geoff Collins for you.

Also, learn to use the quote button.

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 05:10 PM
NO NO NO . In no way did I say that there is no benefit in playing the second team in any game . I said it is stupid to play the second team (1-b) offense on the third series of a 7-0 game when your first team (1-a) offense hasn't established itself.

TheRef
09-01-2014, 05:12 PM
NO NO NO . In no way did I say that there is no benefit in playing the second team in any game . I said it is stupid to play the second team (1-b) offense on the third series of a 7-0 game when your first team (1-a) offense hasn't established itself.

It didn't really hurt us that much and if there was any game I would have wanted him to do it, it would be the early non-conference games. Is he going to do that playing against an LSU, Bama, Auburn? No. He's smarter than that. Let him let the second team have some fun out there in meaningful snaps. Just relax.

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 05:22 PM
I never said a word about defense did I ??? Your adding shit to your argument to make you feel better. I said Dan Mullen makes dumbass in game decisions / personell to put players on the field when they don't need to be. If you think Dak needed to be pulled for any reason to let the (1-b) offense have a drive when the (1-a) offense hasn't established its self or seperated itself from the competition you sir are a dumbass.

dawgoneyall
09-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Tree my bearshark.

TheRef
09-01-2014, 05:28 PM
I never said a word about defense did I ??? Your adding shit to your argument to make you feel better. I said Dan Mullen makes dumbass in game decisions / personell to put players on the field when they don't need to be. If you think Dak needed to be pulled for any reason to let the (1-b) offense have a drive when the (1-a) offense hasn't established its self or seperated itself from the competition you sir are a dumbass.

#1: Personnel.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/050/9/b/english_mother****er_do_you_speak_it_by_h311man-d774bf9.jpg

#2: Did I think Dak needed to be pulled? No. Do I think it harmed us in any way, shape, form, or fashion? Nope. Am I dumbass for thinking this? Not at all. Listen. We get it. You don't like the fact that Dan put the second team in for the third series. Okay. We've got that. But to insult them and say "You're obviously not even close to being good enough to play on first team so you shouldn't touch the field until the game is well in hand," is just asinine. Now I know you didn't explicitly say that, but you implied that and that's how I, and I'm sure others, read it.

BulldogDX55
09-01-2014, 05:28 PM

Your initial complaint was that we can't win if Dan makes boneheaded moves like the personnel decision he made early in the USM game. Many people have spelled out that it was his plan the whole time, that it helps us a great deal in the long run, and that it's a perfectly okay thing to do against a weak opponent.

What was boneheaded about that? Why do you think this will continue? How can you call his decisions the most boneheaded thing you've seen, when he followed Croom? Does this mean you are really young? Why would you let your first team "establish" itself first before the preplanned subs come in? Wouldn't that unestablish the first team? Did you want Dan to break his promise to the second squad?

You really are just complaining for the sake of complaining here.

DudyDawg
09-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Also Williams needs to play because the way that dak is gonna have to play once we play good teams, he is likely to get hurt.

I'll never understand why a fan would say a player, on their own team no less, is LIKELY to get hurt

dawgs
09-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Shit, he makes some head scratching decisions, but he's no croom, that's for damn sure.

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 05:34 PM
agreed ref It didn't hurt us. I see where you are coming from with your point of view, but if Dan continues with his past history it will hurt us before the season is over .dogoneyall you can kiss my ass I'm bulldog through and through.

TheRef
09-01-2014, 05:36 PM
agreed ref It didn't hurt us. I see where you are coming from with your point of view, but if Dan continues with his past history it will hurt us before the season is over .dogoneyall you can kiss my ass I'm bulldog through and through.

Or maybe we will have experienced guys ready to step in without any drop-off if one of our other players gets injured. Two-headed coin.

UMCDawg16
09-01-2014, 05:51 PM

You are developing quite a reputation around here...Way to start your career off on this message board on the right foot.... In 15 posts you have a bigger reputation than many guys that have been here for years, have.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-01-2014, 06:12 PM
The media wants to see us against top 25 team before anointing us. I do too. They are still scared of us falling apart when we go through LSU, ATM, Aub.

You must be six years old then because I saw plenty of head scratching shit during the Croom Error. What made the Croom Error worse was he had no idea how to develop talent, unlike Mullen and his staff.

yjnkdawg
09-01-2014, 07:13 PM

It was a good team morale booster, rewarded the players for their dedication and efforts in practice, demonstrated the MSU team (family) concept (not the me me me type) and the positives go on and on. Seems like Dak and the other starting players, as well as all the other players were supporting them on the field, so what is your problem?

Jack Lambert
09-01-2014, 07:29 PM

This is why you schedule warm up games like USM. So you get everyone on the field and it would be pretty shitty Dak getting hurt when we have a 42 point lead and he did not have to be in the game. I guess that goes for every starter.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Donate you V Cash to me before you get run off.

cheewgumm
09-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Good lord. Ok, let me re-phrase...."He runs a lot and was hurt last year. Since he runs a lot and we play in the SEC, there are a lot of NFL types that are going to be trying to kill him. If he happens to get hurt...someone needs to be ready." Better?

I'll never understand why a fan would say a player, on their own team no less, is LIKELY to get hurt