PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Freeze comments on his OL...

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Saw on twitter where Freeze was interviewed and said "We have got to recruit some Offensive Linemen....Lots of 'em".

That's gotta make your players feel good about themselves.

GreenheadDawg
09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
He doesn't give a shit about that. It's all about recruiting

Coach34
09-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Well, he said after the Egg Bowl loss- he needed better players. Guess he is going to continue that mantra

Reason2succeed
09-01-2014, 01:56 PM
That was a bat signal to the bagmen. "Back up the brinks truck to Patterson's house."

Bully Dee Williams
09-01-2014, 01:56 PM
How about you develop some of the damn kids you have on campus? Having a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids doesn't mean crap if they are fat, lazy, and aren't coached once they get to campus.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 01:58 PM
How about you develop some of the damn kids you have on campus? Having a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids doesn't mean crap if they are fat, lazy, and aren't coached once they get to campus.

Exactly, he wants guys that can come in and be dominant....but it doesn't work that way on the OLine. They can recruit, but they can't develop. Take notice, Peters, Lewis, Patterson, etc.

Treemydawg
09-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Sounds like they need 6 and 7 star players to be able compete with our 2 star salt of the earth grinders ********

Bully Dee Williams
09-01-2014, 02:15 PM
By year 3, you should at least have a core group of OL that know your system and are working hard. We might not have 5 star Olineman, but we have had blue collar kids that buy into what we want to do.

AlSwearengen
09-01-2014, 02:28 PM
did anyone pay attention to Tunsil the other night? Did he dominate? Did he limp around any?

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 02:31 PM
did anyone pay attention to Tunsil the other night? Did he dominate? Did he limp around any?

I didn't watch him all night, but I watched him a good bit....he was far from dominant, but he was far from their weakest link also. Their OL looked bad

Todd4State
09-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Well, he set a SEC record for false starts.

Todd4State
09-01-2014, 02:49 PM
That was a bat signal to the bagmen. "Back up the brinks truck to Patterson's house."

Yep. We need to recruit __ is the equivalent of Code 66 on Star Wars for Ole Miss bagmen.

NCDawg
09-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Saw on twitter where Freeze was interviewed and said "We have got to recruit some Offensive Linemen....Lots of 'em".

That's gotta make your players feel good about themselves.

Kinda' like his quote after the State game last year when he said "the only thing I know to do is to go out and recruit better players". I'm sure that made the seniors on the team feel good.

TrapGame
09-01-2014, 02:51 PM
The way things looked with that oline Freeze has started recruiting from Golden Corral, Barnhills and Ryans.

Bully Dee Williams
09-01-2014, 02:58 PM
There is simply no way that line holds up against legit SEC dlines. How can they be that undisciplined and out-of-shape? Nevermind...

Mjoelner34
09-01-2014, 03:00 PM

It was also a nice little diversion to make the fans go back to their real passion, 'star gazing' and not start discussing how awful they looked the other night. I bet their heads have been buried in recruiting links all day.

msstate7
09-01-2014, 03:01 PM
There is simply no way that line holds up against legit SEC dlines. How can they be that undisciplined and out-of-shape? Nevermind...
Well isn't part of being out-of-shape from bring undisciplined?

Bully Dee Williams
09-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Well isn't part of being out-of-shape from bring undisciplined?

Yup!

thf24
09-01-2014, 03:53 PM
It's always about recruiting to fix deficiencies, never coaching up said deficiencies. The ironic thing, lack of faith in his own and his staff's ability to develop players aside, is that saying he needs to recruit better players suggests that the players HE already recruited aren't good enough for him. Why is he so confident that recruiting more players is the answer to his issues if, by his own logic, he's already failed at that in the first place?

Todd4State
09-01-2014, 04:37 PM
It's always about recruiting to fix deficiencies, never coaching up said deficiencies. The ironic thing, lack of faith in his own and his staff's ability to develop players aside, is that saying he needs to recruit better players suggests that the players HE already recruited aren't good enough for him. Why is he so confident that recruiting more players is the answer to his issues if, by his own logic, he's already failed at that in the first place?

They're so misguided. They think "well, if we can get a guy like Manziel, we can win immediately and be relevant." The problem is that's 1% of the players in the country. 99%- even the ones at Bama, LSU, Florida State, etc. have to develop players. Heck, that's one Saban's mantras- player development.

The beautiful thing about recruiting is until reality sets in, you can make those recruits as good as you want them to be. That fits them to a tee. And then when the crop of recruits doesn't pan out, they can blame whoever the coach is for being horrible and pretend like the next crop of recruits is awesome and going to turn it around and get them back "on the rise." Rinse, lather, repeat.

The reality is college football everywhere is about player development. We're not the NFL. There aren't free agents. And the gap between high school football and D-I SEC ball is huge. And I'm not talking about Mississippi HS football- I'm talking about whatever the top high school league in America is, Texas, California, Florida, wherever. It's a huge adjustment.

The way Ole Miss does things and wants to do things- it's pretty much we'll treat you like a NFL star until the season starts and then when you aren't a finished product, we're going to kick you to the curb, fire the coach and bring in someone that will run you off because "you suck".

MarketingBully01
09-01-2014, 05:42 PM

Agree completely. The one position you HAVE to develop players is on the O-Line. If you don't, it won't matter what stars you get your O-Line will suck. For example, how the hell does Aaron Morris, a guy who you are counting on a lot on the O-line, come in at least 30 pounds overweight at Fall camp. Even Tunsil has regressed and that is saying something because last year he was looking like a first rounder. Shit at this rate by his junior year, he may fall off the radar of the first round completey. Kind of makes me question who they have as their S&C coach. He must suck really bad. I hope they continue to keep him.

starkvegasdawg
09-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Kind of makes me question who they have as their S&C coach. He must suck really bad. I hope they continue to keep him.736

cheewgumm
09-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I've never seen a coach say that kind of stuff, especially to the team after a loss.."We have to recruit better." If I were a player I'd think "Wait, what? so, the reasopn we lost is we're not good enough?!?"

But, it tells you what i son Freeze's mind all the time - recruiting - it's the answer to everything for them. It's not a bad philosophy, jsut not complete.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2014, 08:28 PM
He doesn't give a shit about that. It's all about recruiting

all he needs is another top 5 class and he will get an extention not matter what happens on the field.

Coach34
09-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Almost every damn coach you see will take the blame. Hell, just look at Spurrier on Thursday night- he said "we're getting out coached and out played. We need to try something different".....you won't hear him say "we have to recruit better" when they have been getting their ass kicked.

Freezus has now said this twice in his last 3 games. It's hilarious and shows his mentality

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm honestly not sure what the difference between him and Eddie is. Both could recruit but can't coach a lick

msstate7
09-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Almost every damn coach you see will take the blame. Hell, just look at Spurrier on Thursday night- he said "we're getting out coached and out played. We need to try something different".....you won't hear him say "we have to recruit better" when they have been getting their ass kicked.

Freezus us has now said this twice in his last 3 games. It's hilarious and shows his mentality

How long before the team has enough of getting thrown under the bus?

jbjones
09-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Freezus us has now said this twice in his last 3 games. It's hilarious and shows his mentality

You're exactly right. The image of him holding up those 3 fingers tells the entire tale. Who in their right mind would want to play for someone like that? Unbelieveable.

Hilarious, but seriously unprofessional and kind of sad to be honest. He, and their entire program are embarrassments to our State. F**K you bears, 4/5, F**K you.

/ads, click 'em,and all of that

smootness
09-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Well, his comments should be comforting to their fanbase, given their lack of any OL currently committed for 2015**

cheewgumm
09-01-2014, 08:44 PM
It absolutely shows his mind set. It's NEVER him...it's the players aren't good enough.

Bo Dirt is the only one that gets pissed about it , it seems. Of course, he has not specifically thrown one of the Kimschee gals under the bus yet.

msstate7
09-01-2014, 08:46 PM
It absolutely shows his mind set. It's NEVER him...it's the players aren't good enough.

Bo Dirt is the only one that gets pissed about it , it seems. Of course, he has not specifically thrown one of the Kimschee gals under the bus yet.

They'll beat his *ss

Spotted
09-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I think we have to understand where Freeze came from to understand that mindset. A former private school head coach who becomes staff at OM under Orgeron? All about recruiting saving your ass every year--every moment...and then moving on. Whether it's a promotion or a termination. Freeze is terminally focused on the front end of the equation and doesn't even grasp the final solution. It's just beyond him.

Please Lord, let him stay...

EAVdog
09-01-2014, 09:21 PM

Freezus has now said this twice in his last 3 games. It's hilarious and shows his mentality

It's an excuse, plain and simple. It's what arrogant and ignorant coaches do when they are out of their league. We lived it with Croom and his "5 years to install my offensive scheme" nonsense. Freeze just can't make himself say 'I/We just didn't have them prepared, ready, etc...' Like a better more qualified coach would. He got his lofty position on a flimsy resume and personal connections. This is what happens most of the time.

He may get 5 years there, bookmark it.

SDDawg
09-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Even Manziel redshirted and was developed in that sense. Sure he was gifted, but he didn't show up on campus as a Heisman winner, good coaching was a part of the deal. You can't win anything in major college football by relying on true freshmen, it's just not going to happen with the game being so complicated. EVER.

Sacrifice
09-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Good lord, please extend this clowns contract.

AlSwearengen
09-01-2014, 09:44 PM
I've never seen a coach say that kind of stuff, especially to the team after a loss.."We have to recruit better." If I were a player I'd think "Wait, what? so, the reasopn we lost is we're not good enough?!?"

But, it tells you what i son Freeze's mind all the time - recruiting - it's the answer to everything for them. It's not a bad philosophy, jsut not complete.

Freeze wasn't really addressing the team with that speech. He knew the camera was on him as part of that bullshit show they do. If you are the head coach at olemiss and had just lost the egg bowl and wanted to settle the fans down as much as possible, what would you say? Remember, they are olemiss fans. You start talking about how you are going to recruit better.

FlabLoser
09-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Freeze wasn't really addressing the team with that speech.

But he did just that after the Egg Bowl.

1:00 mark

http://youtu.be/DZXGv9fVWEE

SDDawg
09-01-2014, 09:54 PM

Just a vile human being, that's what he is. Zero sense of loyalty or appreciation for the people around him that are working hard. Horrible leader.

DawgHouseUnited
09-02-2014, 08:36 AM
It's an excuse, plain and simple. It's what arrogant and ignorant coaches do when they are out of their league. We lived it with Croom and his "5 years to install my offensive scheme" nonsense. Freeze just can't make himself say 'I/We just didn't have them prepared, ready, etc...' Like a better more qualified coach would. He got his lofty position on a flimsy resume and personal connections. This is what happens most of the time.

He may get 5 years there, bookmark it.

Well, to be fair, they only had a few months to prepare for Boise**

Johnson85
09-02-2014, 10:07 AM

It blows my mind that he says that after the first game of the season.

After the Egg bowl I can kind of understand. He coaches for a recruiting crazy fan base and he was talking to them more than to the team. But to talk about needed better recruits after the first 17ing game? Seems like most coaches would talk about the improvement they have to make over the course of the season. That makes it sounds like, oh well, this season is 17ed. Hopefully we'll have some better players in teh future bc nothing can be done with the ones we have now.

Reason2succeed
09-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Wow, talk about throwing your QB under the bus. "Sorry defense the QB sucks." Then they start the season with 4 INT in the 1st qtr. OM is so going to implode. My bet is after the ULL game. Hudspeth is going to spank them and all HAIL is going to break loose in their locker room.

PassInterference
09-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Mullen often said, especially when the roster was down in 2009, "we've got to coach them better". He always blames himself and other coaches.

Spurrier takes the cake though. One game a few years ago, they played bad defense. In the postgame interview, Spurrier called his DC into the interview to interrogate him on what the defensive calls were and why. I don't think you ever see him throw a player under the bus for their play on the field.

Sherrill pleaded with fans not to blame the players. He's say on the radio "you can tell me I can't coach but don't tell my 17-20 year old players they can't play".

Freeze calls out his players and throws them under the bus. Its one thing to state the facts by saying stuff like 'Bo didn't play well', but Freeze goes beyond in calling Bo "unbelievable" because he went through progressions that were not in the playbook.

Then you have Bo disputing his coach through the media, saying "he can say what he wants".

Ole Miss's coaches and players are in it for the individual. Do you think in this week's cupcake game against Vandy that Hugh will wholesale substitute the 2nd string O or D into the game? Absolutely not. Do you think he'll give his #2 or #3 QB some playing time? Maybe, but I doubt it.

shoeless joe
09-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Playing devils advocate here: maybe he said it to motivate the players he does have. Tryin to tell them to step up or a replacement is on the way.

Not that I agree with that approach but it could be his thought process. Would also add that I've not heard other coaches use this tactic in relation to recruiting. Usually it's about the guys already there.

DawgHouseUnited
09-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Ole Miss's coaches and players are in it for the individual. Do you think in this week's cupcake game against Vandy that Hugh will wholesale substitute the 2nd string O or D into the game? Absolutely not. Do you think he'll give his #2 or #3 QB some playing time? Maybe, but I doubt it.

If they play like they did against Boise, they'll still NEED their starters in the game late.

DawgHouseUnited
09-02-2014, 10:52 AM
It blows my mind that he says that after the first game of the season.

After the Egg bowl I can kind of understand. He coaches for a recruiting crazy fan base and he was talking to them more than to the team. But to talk about needed better recruits after the first 17ing game? Seems like most coaches would talk about the improvement they have to make over the course of the season. That makes it sounds like, oh well, this season is 17ed. Hopefully we'll have some better players in teh future bc nothing can be done with the ones we have now.

I agree with this 100%. To be talking about the need to 'croot better players after the first game sounds like the coach is giving up on the players he actually has.

starkvegasdawg
09-02-2014, 11:29 AM
I agree with this 100%. To be talking about the need to 'croot better players after the first game sounds like the coach is giving up on the players he actually has.

That's all they know up there. He is a fully brainwashed bear. The thought of actually doing something with the talent to make it better is a foreign concept to this regime. They think that if they recruit 5 star players then they already know how to play the position. Their job as coaches is to cover up the legal trouble and keep mama an 'em happy. Oh sure, they make them run a lap every now and then and maybe practice if they players are in the mood (ie Tunsil) but not much else. Actually running practice and trying to develop players takes away time from looking at highlight film of the next five stars they will try to buy...I mean recruit. If this current crop can't cut it in the SEC then Bucky throws them under the bus and starts commenting about how they need to buy...I mean recruit better players. When those don't pan out because of whatever reason the verse just repeats itself.

DawgHouseUnited
09-02-2014, 12:56 PM
That's all they know up there. He is a fully brainwashed bear. The thought of actually doing something with the talent to make it better is a foreign concept to this regime. They think that if they recruit 5 star players then they already know how to play the position. Their job as coaches is to cover up the legal trouble and keep mama an 'em happy. Oh sure, they make them run a lap every now and then and maybe practice if they players are in the mood (ie Tunsil) but not much else. Actually running practice and trying to develop players takes away time from looking at highlight film of the next five stars they will try to buy...I mean recruit. If this current crop can't cut it in the SEC then Bucky throws them under the bus and starts commenting about how they need to buy...I mean recruit better players. When those don't pan out because of whatever reason the verse just repeats itself.

Makes me wonder how long they can keep it up before the top talent that they are targeting wise up and realize that it's a bad idea to go there. Heaven help them if they have a bad (5 wins or less) season AND can't buy/recruit the stars.

Covercorner2
09-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Hahahaha. Kellenberger wrote an article defending Freezus...

https://twitter.com/hkellenbergercl/status/506863323543920640

msstate7
09-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Hahahaha. Kellenberger wrote an article defending Freezus...

https://twitter.com/hkellenbergercl/status/506863323543920640
Sounds like the liberal media defending Obama

codeDawg
09-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Damage controlling aside, the article is right. If your line isn't playing well, it had better be because your young guys aren't baked yet. If you don't have young guys and have to find some, it's going to get ugly.

I think we are in between generations of linemen. We have plenty of young guys who look like they will be pretty good with some experience under their belts, but it takes time.

Freeze is screwed. I really hope he tries to fix this by going out and grabbing a bunch of JUCO's. I hear the ones in Arizona are world beaters. They will be the Rose Bowl next year if they do that.

Coach34
09-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Their Spin Doctor curriculum must be awesome at that school

GreenheadDawg
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Love the comment to Hugh's article. You're pathetic

FlabLoser
09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I'll just leave this right here.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3856/15123416012_1d63488151_o.jpg

CadaverDawg
09-02-2014, 09:16 PM
I'll just leave this right here.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3856/15123416012_1d63488151_o.jpg

Dude on the far left is like...

"Bro...I thought Bo was supposed to be throwing it to the offensive guy, maaaan" [Cheech and Chong voice]

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Mullen often said, especially when the roster was down in 2009, "we've got to coach them better". He always blames himself and other coaches.

Spurrier takes the cake though. One game a few years ago, they played bad defense. In the postgame interview, Spurrier called his DC into the interview to interrogate him on what the defensive calls were and why. I don't think you ever see him throw a player under the bus for their play on the field.

Sherrill pleaded with fans not to blame the players. He's say on the radio "you can tell me I can't coach but don't tell my 17-20 year old players they can't play".

Freeze calls out his players and throws them under the bus. Its one thing to state the facts by saying stuff like 'Bo didn't play well', but Freeze goes beyond in calling Bo "unbelievable" because he went through progressions that were not in the playbook.

Then you have Bo disputing his coach through the media, saying "he can say what he wants".

Exactly. Good coaches ALWAYS put the blame on themselves for losses and deflect all credit to the players in wins. It was something immediately noticeable to me after listening to JWS & Mullen, then listening to Crxxm. Freezus is a better coach than Crxxm, although that's not saying much, but his thought processes and approach with the media is just as bad. He refuses to take blame for losses and is eager to grab all credit for the wins. Just awful.