PDA

View Full Version : Coach34, I think I saw you talking about putting Bear Wilson

AlSwearengen
09-01-2014, 12:38 PM
in the slot so that a safety has to cover him. You may have also mentioned the other receivers you would have on the field with him in that set, but you didn't go into detail about it. Could you go into detail about who would line up where and how the defenses would have to defend them? Where is tubby in this set (in the other slot?)? Are we going four wide if Bear is in the slot? Thanks

Coach34
09-01-2014, 12:57 PM
We were in a trips right set. We had Myles as the inside guy (Tubby wasnt in the game), Bear in the middle, and I didnt see who we had on the outside. It's gonna be a guy like RoJo, Ross, Brown, etc...

We will put Tubby or Myles on the inside like that because they will have to be covered by a LB (something I didnt even cover)- this is a mismatch in itself obviously and could be seriously exploited when teams try to go man 2 man. Can run some quick rub routes in short yardage vs man and have a field day in that match-up. Also with those Tubby or Myles on the inside- they can still be involved in the run game in some sort of fashion

Bear in the middle is going to draw a Safety or LB match-up. He is bigger and usually faster than these guys- so it's just a nightmare for a SS-type. He gives us a great target there. If teams go with a nickel package to bring in an extra CB to match-up- then it gives us an advantage in the run game. Our offense should always be able to run better vs nickel packages. They have now taken out a LB or SS to insert a cover guy.

The outside guy can also benefit from all this- you just have to get creative. With the F/S probably keeping a close eye on Wilson- it gives us 1 on 1 play with our WR's. That's all you can ask for.