PDA

View Full Version : Pretty amazing that only 1 player from the 2014 signing class played....

HoopsDawg
08-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Darion Hutcherson and he was a Juco signee.

Coach34
08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
We are a RS program

Doc
09-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Contrast that with Tenn playing just about their whole class last night

MetEdDawg
09-01-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm surprised Cory Thomas didn't dress and play Saturday. He's gonna have to play next year and I thought he would be a candidate to get PT this year because of that. We lose Eulls, Preston, Virges, and PJ so I see him playing a huge role at DT next year. We've got Chris Jones, Nelson Adams, and Nick James returning in 2015. Then Thomas, Grant Harris, and Braxton Hoyett who all seem to be RS. Think one of those 3 should be playing this year because at least one of them will be on the 2 deep next year.

I'm a little surprised we didn't dress and play Green, but I can also see why not. He's not so much of a need for next year with Richie ready to go at MLB after McKinney and he's also coming off the ACL. Know he's been a beast in practice and the weight room but I can understand us protecting him if we don't actually need him this year. But he's probably the back up at MLB next year and with Richie having a few concussions in his history I would want Green ready to go because he could be called on at any time.

msstate7
09-01-2014, 08:38 AM
I love RSing pretty much everyone. My only worry is how recruits look at it.

engie
09-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Pretty sure Cory played...

ETA: Was on our postgame participation chart yesterday -- today he's removed. Thought I heard him called over the PA system once as well...

MetEdDawg
09-01-2014, 08:42 AM
He wasn't on the participation list and I didn't think I saw him on the field. And before the game I saw on Twitter from one of our writers that Fitz was the only true freshman to dress for the game.

smootness
Pretty sure Cory played...

He didn't. Wasn't dressed.

smootness
He wasn't on the participation list and I didn't think I saw him on the field. And before the game I saw on Twitter from one of our writers that Fitz was the only true freshman to dress for the game.

Staley also dressed, but I think that was it.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 09:11 AM
So if you look at a WAY early 1 deep next season on defense...

DE Ryan Brown
DT Chris Jones
DT Nick James
DE AJ Jefferson
DL Backups - Adams, Coleman, Thomas, Harris, Hoyett, ?

LB B Brown
MLB R Brown
LB Z Jackson
LB Backups - Green, Harris, Antoine, and more

CB - Redmond
CB - Calhoun
Backups - Jiles, Cleveland, Sills, Bryant?

Safeties - Market, Coman, who else?

I know I'm leaving off tons of players like JT Gray. But just a quick 1 deep looks pretty strong next year. Our defense looks strong for several years to come. Hopefully we will pay Collins even bigger bucks to stay for a while.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Offense will look like what?....

QB Dak

RB Robinson/Williams
FB Shumpert

TE Hutch/Walley
WR Wilson
WR Ross/Brown/Morrow
Slot Gray/Graham

OL Malone/Senior/Clayborn/Johnson/Flowers/Thomas/Warren/Carter/Desper/who else?

starkvegasdawg
09-01-2014, 09:33 AM
I love RSing pretty much everyone. My only worry is how recruits look at it.

It may scare some off but I think our coaches shoot them straight from the beginning so they know the situation. The ones that come here know nothing is just handed to them and if they want to play freshman year they fave to earn it. Mullen will play true freshman so they know it's possible. If we keep getting players like Aeris that volunteered to RS because it is best for the team and their future then I'm not worried too much. It's those schools that tell every recruit they come across that they are the best recruit they've ever seen and will start from day one and be a star that wind up in a bind.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-01-2014, 09:45 AM
I know this for a fact. They gave Aeris the option of redshirting And he took it. He could've played but knew it was his best interest to redshirt

Covercorner2
09-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Lewis is a senior..

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Lewis is a senior..

Yea, not sure why I put him on there.

Coach34
09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm surprised Cory Thomas didn't dress and play Saturday. He's gonna have to play next year and I thought he would be a candidate to get PT this year because of that. We lose Eulls, Preston, Virges, and PJ so I see him playing a huge role at DT next year. We've got Chris Jones, Nelson Adams, and Nick James returning in 2015. Then Thomas, Grant Harris, and Braxton Hoyett who all seem to be RS. Think one of those 3 should be playing this year because at least one of them will be on the 2 deep next year.

I'm not. Not need to waste Thomas over a couple of snaps. Look at all the people in front of him?- no need to waste a year. I was saying the same thing about Green. He's an animal- but who do you take reps from to play him just a little? And he's not going to play in any SEC games- so why waste him?

RougeDawg
09-01-2014, 10:20 AM

DE Ryan Brown
DT Chris Jones
DT Nick James
DE AJ Jefferson

LB B Brown
MLB R Brown
LB Z Jackson

CB - Redmond
CB - Calhoun

I know I'm leaving off tons of players like JT Gray. But just a quick 1 deep looks pretty strong next year. Our defense looks strong for several years to come. Hopefully we will pay Collins even bigger bucks to stay for a while.

We better. I'll throw in on a fund to keep him.

RougeDawg
09-01-2014, 10:22 AM
It may scare some off but I think our coaches shoot them straight from the beginning so they know the situation. The ones that come here know nothing is just handed to them and if they want to play freshman year they fave to earn it. Mullen will play true freshman so they know it's possible. If we keep getting players like Aeris that volunteered to RS because it is best for the team and their future then I'm not worried too much. It's those schools that tell every recruit they come across that they are the best recruit they've ever seen and will start from day one and be a star that wind up in a bind.

You aren't referring to who I think you are?

thunderclap
09-01-2014, 10:23 AM
If the day is here when we can redshirt players of that caliber then it is a good day.

MetEdDawg
09-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm not. Not need to waste Thomas over a couple of snaps. Look at all the people in front of him?- no need to waste a year. I was saying the same thing about Green. He's an animal- but who do you take reps from to play him just a little? And he's not going to play in any SEC games- so why waste him?

I mean I see your point and understand. I'm just thinking down the road like next year how important it might be for guys like Thomas and Green, who will both be on the defensive two deep, to have some game reps. But I guess you have to weigh a year of eligibility lost for at most 100 extra snaps, all of which would most likely come against USM and UAB and teams like that. Probably a good idea to RS them if possible. But we will be young at DT next year which is why I figured Thomas would play. He's gonna get SEC minutes next year and I would have liked to have him game ready.

I can see it from both sides though and I think in the end you are probably right. Not worth wasting a year for very little significant PT. But that will contribute to our overall inexperience that our defense will have next year even though we will have some super talented kids on defense next year.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 10:52 AM
I mean I see your point and understand. I'm just thinking down the road like next year how important it might be for guys like Thomas and Green, who will both be on the defensive two deep, to have some game reps. But I guess you have to weigh a year of eligibility lost for at most 100 extra snaps, all of which would most likely come against USM and UAB and teams like that. Probably a good idea to RS them if possible. But we will be young at DT next year which is why I figured Thomas would play. He's gonna get SEC minutes next year and I would have liked to have him game ready.

I can see it from both sides though and I think in the end you are probably right. Not worth wasting a year for very little significant PT. But that will contribute to our overall inexperience that our defense will have next year even though we will have some super talented kids on defense next year.

I agree with you. I definitely thought Thomas would play this year, because he will play a lot next year....but I'm fine with it either way. Our redshirt ing has made us extremely deep and talented across the board. We will have Jones, James, Jefferson, Brown, Adams, Coleman, Thomas, Harris, Hoyett, and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting next year. So while yes, we'll be a little younger....we'll still be deep and talented. So like you, I can see both sides of it.

Coach34
09-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Defensive line is not that hard to play- thats why you see talented freshmen play there all the time. Thomas is a no-brainer with what we have on the team. Playing LB is a little different with all the formation recognition you have to do- so I could actually see playing Green a little for experience. But these guys get reps every day in practice- and they still learn alot even though they dont get game reps.

DudyDawg
09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Evans is still a sophomore (or RS Freshman, can't remember) at safety, and he played a lot last Saturday too, cadaver.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Evans is still a sophomore (or RS Freshman, can't remember) at safety, and he played a lot last Saturday too, cadaver.

Yep, Deontay Evans..thanks

drummerdawg
09-01-2014, 11:43 AM
I remember hearing Corey Thomas name called for a tackle during the game

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2014, 11:46 AM
I see this in the QB discussions as well.

I believe many of you over value the value of a few reps in the garbage time of a football game. If a true freshman isn't on the two deep, then he needs to redshirt. Him getting 20 snaps over the course of the season will make him no better next year.

These guys scrimmage on Monday nights, and probably get more reps doing that than if they played 5-10 snaps the other night.

It's just not that big of deal.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I see this in the QB discussions as well.

I believe many of you over value the value of a few reps in the garbage time of a football game. If a true freshman isn't on the two deep, then he needs to redshirt. Him getting 20 snaps over the course of the season will make him no better next year.

These guys scrimmage on Monday nights, and probably get more reps doing that than if they played 5-10 snaps the other night.

It's just not that big of deal.

Damien Williams disagrees.

Scrimmages do not happen in front of 60,000 fans. I'm not saying it's monumental that they play....but I'd rather a guy have some live game action before getting significant snaps the next year. "Prefer", doesn't mean it's a must. Plus, with the QB thing, you need to have 3 QB's available in our offense....and you want to spread out the class where you don't have multiple guys in the same grade/class. So you're right to an extent, but I don't think it's that cut and dry

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2014, 11:57 AM
The 2 deep on the dl next year will be

DE: Brown, Coleman
DT: Jones, Thomas
DT: Adams, James
DE: Jefferson, Calvin

preachermatt83
09-01-2014, 12:57 PM
1) Cory Thomas DID NOT play.. The announcer called out the wrong name and number. He was not dressed. Only Jersey and shorts.
2) Grant Harris DID play

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 01:01 PM
1) Cory Thomas DID NOT play.. The announcer called out the wrong name and number. He was not dressed. Only Jersey and shorts.
2) Grant Harris DID play

Grant Harris didn't play

Bully Dee Williams
09-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Both Harris and Thomas were shown numerous times on the sideline in street clothes, wearing a jersey, and no pads. They didnt play.

According to a few media sources, the only 2014 kids to fully dress out were Hutch, Fitzgerald, Staley, and Logan Cooke. Only Hutch saw the field.

preachermatt83
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Grant Harris didn't play

Do we have another harris that plays D-Line?

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Do we have another harris that plays D-Line?

John

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205181504&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2014, 01:19 PM
John Harris #99. No true freshmen played. 4 guys from the class dressed out. Staley, Fitzgerald, Cooke, & Hutcherson with only Hutcherson playing.

preachermatt83
09-01-2014, 01:31 PM
John Harris #99. No true freshmen played. 4 guys from the class dressed out. Staley, Fitzgerald, Cooke, & Hutcherson with only Hutcherson playing.

Weston graves played. He missed a FG.

preachermatt83
09-01-2014, 01:32 PM
John

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205181504&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Ok.. thanks. I knew I saw a harris playing Dline late. Didn't know we had another one. Don't guess ive heard of John before today.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Weston graves played. He missed a FG.

I didn't count Graves bc he was in school last year just didn't play last year. I was speaking just on the guys we signed in the 2014 class.

LC Dawg
09-01-2014, 02:00 PM

DE Ryan Brown
DT Chris Jones
DT Nick James
DE AJ Jefferson

LB B Brown
MLB R Brown
LB Z Jackson

CB - Redmond
CB - Calhoun

Shouldn't Hughes get a medical redshirt for last year so he could come back next year?

CadaverDawg
09-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Shouldn't Hughes get a medical redshirt for last year so he could come back next year?

Had not considered that, but you may be right.

preachermatt83
09-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I didn't count Graves bc he was in school last year just didn't play last year. I was speaking just on the guys we signed in the 2014 class.

ah, I gotcha.

preachermatt83
09-01-2014, 02:08 PM

well now that would just be freaking awesome!