PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken a look at the Eagle Post today?

Liverpooldawg
08-31-2014, 04:08 PM
I almost feel sorry for them. Then I remember watching their fans rain drinks on MSU people over the back of the stadium in Jackson as WE were leaving games after they beat us. As an old dog I REALLY enjoyed last night.

TheRef
08-31-2014, 04:37 PM
A couple of my favorite threads on EP:

http://eaglepost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37849

http://eaglepost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37859

http://eaglepost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37864 [They say State is better than BAMA.....]

http://eaglepost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37839

http://eaglepost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37835

Reason2succeed
08-31-2014, 04:40 PM
DANG!!! They are throwing in the towel on football completely over there. They just proclaimed that they are no better than the Mississippi SWAC teams. I ALMOST feel sorry for them…naaaa. It helps State. Now we just need to do the same to Old Mist.

I don't remember the old days but I enjoyed last night too. I especially enjoyed the fact that we were able maintain the SHUTOUT. I was scared that we would let them on the board late. Now my in laws can't say anything because I will simply ask them if USM showed up at all to the game because they never made their presence felt. They didn't even pinch us.

AlSwearengen
08-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Living in H'burg and coming into contact with seemingly every usm "fan" in town, I have had an up close view of their downfall and their bizarre ways of thinking when it comes to football. Jeff Bower used to come into the shop pretty regularly (he comes in much less often since moving to the coast). About three months ago, he was in and one of their typical "fans" was chatting him up and acting star struck (this guy was probably one of the many calling for Bower's head a few years earlier). Anyway, in the middle of the conversation, the fan blurted out about how Ellis Johnson had ruined the program. I thought Bower was going to beat his ass. Bower got a little loud and told the guy that Ellis had nothing to do with what happened and that he had taken over a team with little talent and little character and that Fedora was to blame.

Of course there is a little more to it than just what Fedora did. We all know that the way things have played out, usm was inevitably going to fall to some extent. The problem is that most of their fans have no idea why they are where they are now.

Jacksondevildog
08-31-2014, 05:18 PM
The crowd shots Saturday for their game vs Alcorn will be pitiful. I don't feel sorry for them. The little kid that has talked shit on the block for years and thought he could back it up is getting his cock stomped off.

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 05:27 PM
I really think that eventually USM is going to end up dropping down to I-AA.

In the past they've had their wins against us to hang their hat on- but last night was a major reality check for them.

They've struggled for support for as long as I can remember now- which is one of the major reasons we stopped playing them because they would gouge our fans by jacking up the ticket prices because they knew we would go to the game. And get ready- it's going to be ridiculous next year too. Also, as we've talked about before- the built in advantages that they used to have just aren't there anymore. They used to make a living off of overlooked Mississippi players- like Jameon, McKinney, Chris Jones, Calhoun etc. All the two star guys that we are getting now and then are turning out to be badasses. And then they made a living off of the fact that they were D-I and teams like South Alabama, Troy weren't- if they even had a football program.

I'm sure they'll beat Alcorn. But another 2-10, 1-11 season coupled with us beating the crap out of them in Hattiesburg next year might doom their program in I-A. I mean, at some point it's not going to be Ellis Johnson's fault anymore.

CadaverDawg
08-31-2014, 05:31 PM
I loved that Robert Johnson, from Hattiesburg, had a solid game for us. Jay Hughes, Oak grove grad, had a huge game. Nick Griffin, from Perry Central near Hattiesburg, had a big game. Etc. Glad we are starting to get the best players from down South now.

And the crazy thing is, their best player last night was Dylan Bradley, whom I wanted us to get and knew he would be a good player.....but we had no room to sign him because of more talented players. Times have officially changed in a big way for both us and USM. And it is awesome.

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Living in H'burg and coming into contact with seemingly every usm "fan" in town, I have had an up close view of their downfall and their bizarre ways of thinking when it comes to football. Jeff Bower used to come into the shop pretty regularly (he comes in much less often since moving to the coast). About three months ago, he was in and one of their typical "fans" was chatting him up and acting star struck (this guy was probably one of the many calling for Bower's head a few years earlier). Anyway, in the middle of the conversation, the fan blurted out about how Ellis Johnson had ruined the program. I thought Bower was going to beat his ass. Bower got a little loud and told the guy that Ellis had nothing to do with what happened and that he had taken over a team with little talent and little character and that Fedora was to blame.

Of course there is a little more to it than just what Fedora did. We all know that the way things have played out, usm was inevitably going to fall to some extent. The problem is that most of their fans have no idea why they are where they are now.

Good for Bower. There is no way in hell that a brand new coach comes in with barely one recruiting class in which is mainly redshirted and then goes 0-12 and it's all his fault. Heck, Monken almost did the same thing last year, but he gets a pass because he beat UAB?

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 05:35 PM
I loved that Robert Johnson, from Hattiesburg, had a solid game for us. Jay Hughes, Oak grove grad, had a huge game. Nick Griffin, from Perry Central near Hattiesburg, had a big game. Etc. Glad we are starting to get the best players from down South now.

And the crazy thing is, their best player last night was Dylan Bradley, whom I wanted us to get and knew he would be a good player.....but we had no room to sign him because of more talented players. Times have officially changed in a big way for both us and USM. And it is awesome.

I agree about Bradley. And I wanted us to also get Will Freeman. I think he would have blown up in a SEC S&C program, but Wilson didn't want him for some reason.