PDA

View Full Version : Positives and negatives I saw...

maroonmania
08-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Positives:

Defense - Tremendous in every aspect, can't wait to see how they perform against top level competition

WRs - Man we have upgraded at that position for sure over the last couple of years

Stadium Expansion - What a difference and really unites the crowd

Atmosphere - Great to see fans stick around in the monsoon for the game and be into it

Josh Robinson - Very difficult to get a hold of him and bring him to the ground

Dak - Really good start of the season for what could be our best QB ever, the only real mistake was the INT in the end zone where the ball should have never been thrown or should have been high enough that only our guy had a shot, threw it right to the USM defender

Special Teams - played well except for the FG unit (what a shocker) and even scored a TD on the blocked FG

Student Section - Great job by those guys

Negatives:

1st Q Red Zone offense - Can't play a good team and have 2 shots inside the 5 that don't come away with points, very frustrating

OL - Didn't play bad but not being able to clear out a path on 4 tries from the USM 4 yard line against that defense is not acceptable and we were allowing WAY too much pressure on our QBs

FG team - I know, I know, bad snap but it's ALWAYS something with that unit, totally undependable

Griffin runs hard and I love the guy but certainly doesn't look like he has the acceleration he did before the injuries

Williams - Looked very shaky for the first few series he was in and fumbled the ball to give USM their only scoring chance, hope he gets it together because right now it look like a significant dropoff from Dak to Damien

Still no recognition of our championship teams in the expansion that I saw, WHY?

Newly slick painted ramps (at least on the East side) that get wet from rainstorms are a lawsuit waiting to happen, I had to be VERY careful in my tennis shoes walking up and down but I could certainly see an older person slipping down and breaking a hip. The paint looks nice but no traction now, needs tread strips or something.

Apart from the deluge of rain just a great day to be a Bulldog!!

smootness
08-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Griffin's acceleration seems fine to me, at least within the first 10 yards. He just doesn't seem to have that 'next gear' anymore. I think he can be very effective in getting tough yards, he's just not going to bust huge runs.

To me, the only real negatives had to do with a lack of clean offense early. Some was poor blocking, some was poor decision-making. But things picked up as the game went on.

My primary positives:

- WRs as a whole, especially Wilson and Ross. We are very good at receiver now, which is honestly crazy to think about. I think we match up favorably with a lot of teams there.
- Josh Robinson. What a stud. The guy has the chance to have a massive year.
- DL, especially Smith, Eulls, and Jones. Jefferson and Brown also looked very good and were disruptive at times. Smith looked incredible.
- Nick James played a lot. He didn't make any plays, but he played a lot, and his talent will eventually come through.
- Beniquez Brown and Matt Wells were everywhere. And they will both hit you.
- The defense as a whole was very sound and wasn't afraid to lay the wood when they had USM squared up.

maroonmania
08-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Griffin's acceleration seems fine to me, at least within the first 10 yards. He just doesn't seem to have that 'next gear' anymore. I think he can be very effective in getting tough yards, he's just not going to bust huge runs.

Well, whether you call it acceleration or second gear we are talking the same thing. And I see four of your positives are about the defense where I just wrapped it all into my opening bullet but I agree not enough can be said about those guys. From Collins down to the last guy that played on that side of the ball just a tremendous effort. I am waiting to see us against an SEC offense before throwing out too many superlatives but couldn't have been more impressed for a first game.

Barking 13
08-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Was it me, or did Dillon Day look lost all night?

War Machine Dawg
08-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Was it me, or did Dillon Day look lost all night?

Day might've had the worst night of his career. The good news is that he had it against a terrible USM team and not against Bama. I wouldn't look for him to be that bad in the next 14 games.

JDog13
08-31-2014, 10:52 PM
Day might've had the worst night of his career. The good news is that he had it against a terrible USM team and not against Bama. I wouldn't look for him to be that bad in the next 14 games.

:cool: