PDA

View Full Version : Rb depth

msstate7
08-31-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm a little concerned here. Jrob was outstanding last night and I have no worries about him. Nick is really slow now. I'm hoping that it was a messy track and he was slower to keep his feet, but he certainly looked like a rb that's had multiple knee injuries. Brandon can't be used for many plays and us be successful IMO. He's just way too small. Hopefully shump has made a nice jump this year. From watching our rb's last night, I'm not sure why we RS'ed aeris.

I seen it dawg
08-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Shump should slide back on this week as the 2. Barring injury we won't have to play Aeris. Nick has obviously lost some wheels unfortunately and Holloway should not see the field in conference.

DudyDawg
08-31-2014, 09:12 AM
I think griffin can still be effective if we use him right. I'm really bummed shump didn't play last night because I really wanted to see him

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm fine with the running back depth. Robinson is really good, and I think Griffin in a servicable backup. SHumpert will come in and add something as well. After all that, we also have Aeris in the bullpen should we need him.

We are fine here. We don't have an Alex Collins, but we are pretty good. Better than Ole Miss.

MetEdDawg
08-31-2014, 09:30 AM
I think it should be pretty clear as to why we are trying to sign 3 RBs in this class. Griffin graduates and there is always the potential for injury and although J Rob is a beast, you never know what kind of health things happen with him and the reps he gets. And he also graduates the year after.

Next year we can RS all our 2015 RBs and in 2016 we can have Shump as a junior, Aeris as a sophomore (as long as we don't have to burn the RS), and Thomas, Murphy, and whoever else in this class that will play RB (Dear or Mixon) as RS freshmen. We will have a stable of multiple weapons that all bring something different to the table and depth will not be anywhere close to an issue even if we get a rash of injuries. We will have great depth next year with all those guys on campus but in 2016 we will be stacked.

CrookedLetta
08-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Griffin looked like he was scared to reinjure his knee, hopefully it was just the wet ground.

Shumpert will be our #2.

Holloway will get some reps and break a few big runs. But he cannot go sideline to sideline in conference games.

JRob is just nasty. No worries with him.

MarketingBully01
08-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Our RB depth is fine. Shump will be back this week and we will have three top half big SEC backs along with Dak to wear down any SEC defensive line we choose.

Political Hack
08-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Nick is a 226 lb upback. He'll be fine so long as we don't expect him to be a burner.

JRob getting a lot of touches is good.

MarketingBully01
08-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Also wanted to point out we are redshirting who will more then likely be our best running back out of all of them. JRob, Griffin and Shump are 3 star 4 star 4 star backs with Aeris (the redshirting one) the Gatorade Player of the year from Mississippi. I think we are fine.

SDDawg
08-31-2014, 10:30 AM
The field was a huge problem for JRob and Griffin last night. Neither of them have elite speed but the field slowed them down. In the right situations, I would play Holloway. I know I'm in the minority but I think if you give him 3 - 4 touches a game consistently he's going to make a few big plays that will make it worthwhile. Our RB depth is absolutely not a problem at all. It is one of our deepest positions. If Shumpert plays last night, we get that 4th and short conversion because he gets that carry instead of JRob. And if we truly had a depth issue, Aeries would be in our rotation immediately and would be competing for 2nd team reps.

smootness
08-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not worried. And though Griffin definitely looked like he was a step slow, Robinson didn't at all. He looked extremely fast coming around the edge.

I think Robinson is our most talented back since at least Dixon, and I honestly believe he has the potential to be better even than him. He's a Maurice Jones-Drew clone to me. Small and hard to find, low center of gravity and incredibly tough to bring down, yet also has very quick feet and can fly past you. He has it all.

And I think Shumpert will be a beast in time and should get a lot of carries this year. And as others have said, while we've made the decision to RS Williams, we can always change that if we need to. And Lee has also looked very good apparently, if we ever found ourselves in an emergency situation.

preachermatt83
08-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Nick is a 226 lb upback. He'll be fine so long as we don't expect him to be a burner.

JRob getting a lot of touches is good.

Thank you. Nick is not meant to be a burner. He did his job tonight for the most part and did it well. He hits holes well.