PDA

View Full Version : So did Nick James see the field any last night?

HSVDawg
08-31-2014, 08:29 AM
If so, how did he look to anyone who was observing? I missed a good portion of the 2nd half so I could get home at a decent hour for work this morning, so I didn't get a chance to look for him after 42-0. I hope he gets some reps between now and LSU as he would be a huge asset coming off the bench come SEC play.

Political Hack
08-31-2014, 08:31 AM
he played sideline to sideline on the few plays I watched. You could tell he was winded, but he was getting after it still. He got sloppy on one play and tried to tackle high and the ball carrier slipped it and turned the corner. He was immediately pissed at himself. you could tell by his body language. I saw hands on hips some, but I saw that with Chris Jones and others too.

BrunswickDawg
08-31-2014, 08:41 AM
He was also getting double teamed some on a couple of the plays - that can wear on you a bit.

shoeless joe
08-31-2014, 08:59 AM
He played a good bit. When he was in I tried to watch him. On a couple plays he took up 2 lineman and opened things up for McKinney to make the tackle at or behind the line of scrimmage. On a couple plays he got some push and on a few others he didn't. I thought he played fairly well.

GreenheadDawg
08-31-2014, 09:09 AM
I saw him getting double teamed a fairly good bit. Like others have said he was pretty winded but gave good effort on every play

I seen it dawg
08-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Good effort out of him is what we need right now. Making plays will come.

1bigdawg
08-31-2014, 10:36 AM
As posted in another thread:

Nick got knocked off the ball every play I watched and I made it a pint to focus on him while he was in the game.

He did hustle the whole play and run sideline to sideline, which is good, but you cannot have a Defensive Tackle get knocked backwards at the beginning of every play. Others havve said he was being double team, but I did not notice that.

Hopefully he will learn that he has to toughen up.

Random stat: We have 34 players who made plays to get into the defensive stat book (tackles, pass break ups, etc). Nick James was not one of them.

Political Hack
08-31-2014, 11:27 AM
As posted in another thread:

Nick got knocked off the ball every play I watched and I made it a pint to focus on him while he was in the game.

He did hustle the whole play and run sideline to sideline, which is good, but you cannot have a Defensive Tackle get knocked backwards at the beginning of every play. Others havve said he was being double team, but I did not notice that.

Hopefully he will learn that he has to toughen up.

Random stat: We have 34 players who made plays to get into the defensive stat book (tackles, pass break ups, etc). Nick James was not one of them.

it's much less likely for a 0 technique to be in the stat book than any other position on the team.

NCDawg
08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
I understand what Coach Turner was talking about-he's really not ready to play yet. He's not in good enough condition.

MarketingBully01
08-31-2014, 11:56 AM
As Hack said, if he is commanding a double team and eating up space for others to make plays, he is doing his job.

smootness
08-31-2014, 12:59 PM
James played quite a bit, even in the first half. Not sure how he was missed.

If I had to rank the way our DL looked last night, it would be 1. Preston Smith; 2. Kaleb Eulls; 3. Chris Jones.

Part of that is because Jones was double-teamed quite a bit, especially early, but I thought Eulls looked fantastic. He was constantly getting into the backfield and disrupting.

JDog13
08-31-2014, 01:13 PM
Towards the end of the game big Nick was gassed. He's a big dude. He was slow coming off the ball. I'll say this tho....even tho he was gassed, he was still goin as hard as he could.

DudyDawg
08-31-2014, 01:22 PM

If I had to rank the way our DL looked last night, it would be 1. Preston Smith; 2. Kaleb Eulls; 3. Chris Jones.

Part of that is because Jones was double-teamed quite a bit, especially early, but I thought Eulls looked fantastic. He was constantly getting into the backfield and disrupting.

Smith was really really good. Blocked the kick, had a pick, I think at least two bat downs that I can remember, 3-4 qb hurries and a sack. Chris Jones helps guys like him become studs in one on one battles. So does our depth. We penetrated just about every play.

chef dixon
08-31-2014, 01:45 PM
James is nothing more than depth at this juncture.

Cut it any way you want to but he was no more effective than Virges and John Harris last night.

preachermatt83
08-31-2014, 03:53 PM
James played more snaps than any DTackle. He was double teamed almost all night and still did a heckuva job. 1Bigdawg is either drunk or dumb. James gave 100% and played well.

GreenheadDawg
08-31-2014, 03:55 PM
James played more snaps than any DTackle. He was double teamed almost all night and still did a heckuva job. 1Bigdawg is either drunk or dumb. James gave 100% and played well.

Amen.

CadaverDawg
08-31-2014, 04:03 PM

If those 3 were the top 3, then Ryan Brown was a very close 4th, and AJ was a very close 4B. That was the most disruptive I've ever seen our Front 4 in the Mullen era. We haven't even gotten that much push from our front 4 against the SWAC teams. It is going to be a nightmare trying to block that unit. Who do you key on? Jones? If so, you have Smith, Eulls, and Brown being singled up, and I like every one of those guys one on one. Preston Smith may have a MONSTER year.

smootness
08-31-2014, 04:10 PM
Yes, I noticed one play in particular in which either Jones or Eulls (think it was actually Eulls) was double-teamed, and Jefferson was one-on-one with the LT and just made one quick swim move and blew past him.

The advantage is that you have to double Jones or else he will blow up your entire offense, but you would also like to double guys like Preston Smith or Eulls if you can, or at least bring some help, so yes, we will get a lot of favorable matchups this year. I just hope Jones doesn't get frustrated and realizes how much the double teams on him are helping the entire line.