PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2014, 01:07 AM
First games are always interesting: Game speed is different than practice speed, there are nerves for all players on the field, you are playing a team that may have a few wrinkles that weren't on any tape, etc...

With that in mind, here are my thoughts.

Good:

1. Stadium - Our stadium is now a big boy stadium. It is loud, energetic, nice, and feels big.

2. Students - You guys were electric tonight! Good job, but I do have one issue: I know your new endzone home is comfy, but don't forget that you guys are still supposed to occupy two sections on the East side. The East side is the side you can see on TV, so please spread out a little and make sure you fill the East side as well. I think there were enough students there tonight to fill it, but you guys decided it was more fun to cram into the endzone.

3. Defense - Not sure how anyone could criticize anything here. We looked organized, in position, deep, fast, etc... we just can't get complacent. Get better every week and don't get sloppy on tackling.

4. Receivers - Good job catching the ball tonight. The only fault I can find is that, for some reason, we had two receivers and a referee attempting to catch a deep. Somebody must have run the wrong route on that. Can't miss those opportunities against good teams.

5. Running game - Josh Robinson is outstanding. He can be an all-purpose back for us this year. He gets tons of YAC yards, always falls forward, and has unique ability to run low. Tacklers have a very difficult time getting lower than him in order to tackle him and keep him from picking up positive yardage.

6. No false starts - After watching Ole Miss' offensive line jump about 10 times the other night, it was great to see a well coached, discipline football team play. Again, we are well coached and organized.

Bad

1. Dak on pre-snap reads - Dak put up big numbers tonight, but I think he would even agree that we wouldn't have beaten Alabama tonight with the way he played. I thought he did an outstanding job of going through his progressions and finding the open receiver. However, all of his poor passes tonight see to come off pre-snap reads, and I am not totally sure if it was Dak's fault or if Mullen told him to throw to a certain player quickly. Either way, all of his issues can on quick catch & throw, pre snap read passes. We need to clean this up.

2. Pass protection early in the game - I did not put offensive line because I thought the run blocking was adequate, however, USM was getting pressure up the middle early in the game. If there is one thing that will kill Dak or any offense, it's pressure up the middle. If a team pressures Dak from the outside, he can simply step up in the pocket and run or throw. Pressure up the middle causes problems and Dak was put in some terrible positions due to it. Dillon Day has got to clean this up. Not sure if he made poor calls or if we were missing blocks.

3. Special Teams - I'm not ready to say we don't have a good kicker because his miss was on a poor snap & hold. But, the fact that we have found another problem on our special teams is a concern. We also almost had a punt blocked tonight.

Summery:

All in all, I thought it was a good night, we played hard, and showed some flashes of the kind of team we can become. Many of these issues are minor & fixable, but we are no longer judging this team as a team that's trying to go to a bowl. We are now judging this team against what it will take to beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn, & TAMU. While we showed flashes tonight, I don't feel that we played well enough tonight to beat those teams, had we been playing them. We must get better & cleaner.

Other than our fantastic defense, the thing that impressed me the most was our balance. We have a QB that can throw & run, depth at receiver with some explosive players, & Josh Robinson is the real deal. We can beat teams in many different ways.

We were sloppy at times tonight, and must get better, but we also showed many of the requisite ingredients to develop into a championship type team.

In many ways, I'm happy that we had some problems tonight, because I want this team to stay on it's toes, hungry, and challenged to continue to improve. I don't want us to peak yet. I want us to build for the next 2 weeks & peak for LSU, A&M, and Auburn. Tonight's game was great because we played well enough to believe we are a very good team, but, also, did enough wrong to demand that we stay focused and continue to improve.

After tonight, I don't know if we are good, but I'm fairly positive that we aren't bad.

Bothrops
08-31-2014, 01:39 AM
The o-line concerns me some, but hopefully it's a manageable issue. We need to improve our run blocking big time. Dak is fine, just first game rust.

FlabLoser
08-31-2014, 02:06 AM
The students did full up the east side. Then they left.

mstatefan91
08-31-2014, 02:09 AM
The students did full up the east side. Then they left.

No the east side for the student section never got anywhere near full

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 02:09 AM
I was pissed when we didn't score from the one inch line in the first quarter. That was bad.

I think some of Dan's "quick" plays seem to take a long time to develop sometimes, and I have to wonder if USM just did some good film study and they were able to jump some of those quick passes. Like, we'll run a curl- but the play is designed where Dak looks to the other side and THEN he has to turn all the way around to make the throw. The way to fix that is to vary it up some.

The play where the WR's ran into each other- I'm guessing that was four verticals maybe or something similar? I actually think we ran the right routes, but the throw was kind of in between Bear and Jameon and so they both went for it and killed the official.

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 02:10 AM

Maybe next year we just need to sell the East side to regular fans and just let the students sit in the end zone? It sounds like that might work better- and it will probably make MSU more money as well.

mstatefan91
08-31-2014, 02:21 AM
Maybe next year we just need to sell the East side to regular fans and just let the students sit in the end zone? It sounds like that might work better- and it will probably make MSU more money as well.

We'll see as the season goes. I think what you saw today in the east side were the students who didn't show up due to the rain

sleepy dawg
08-31-2014, 02:27 AM
I was pissed when we didn't score from the one inch line in the first quarter. That was bad.

I think some of Dan's "quick" plays seem to take a long time to develop sometimes, and I have to wonder if USM just did some good film study and they were able to jump some of those quick passes. Like, we'll run a curl- but the play is designed where Dak looks to the other side and THEN he has to turn all the way around to make the throw. The way to fix that is to vary it up some.

The play where the WR's ran into each other- I'm guessing that was four verticals maybe or something similar? I actually think we ran the right routes, but the throw was kind of in between Bear and Jameon and so they both went for it and killed the official.

Some girl behind me was pissed that we couldn't redo that play. She went on about it for 5 minutes. Every play that didn't get at least a couple of yards I would hear something like "Come on Dak, play harder".

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 02:36 AM
Some girl behind me was pissed that we couldn't redo that play. She went on about it for 5 minutes. Every play that didn't get at least a couple of yards I would hear something like "Come on Dak, play harder".

LOL. Yeah. Hey Dak- it's about time for you to get off your ass and do something for us just once in your career.**********************

WeWonItAll(Most)
08-31-2014, 02:55 AM

I came into the stadium about 45 minutes before kick off and didn't even try the east side because I figured it would be the first area to be full. Once we'd gone in the endzone it was too much trouble to get back to the east side. It isn't connected to the endzone

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 02:58 AM
One thing to remember about the running game- we didn't have Shumpert and we hardly ran the option.

We probably score on the one if we would have had Shumpert in there. And if we ran the option to go along with the other things we did like normal- we probably score 63 instead of 49.

Reason2succeed
08-31-2014, 05:16 AM
We did not capitalize on the turnovers and great field position in the first half. Great teams have great red zone percentages. We blew two or three opportunities to score.

What was Mullen thinking by putting the ENTIRE second team offense on the field when it was 7-0? Maybe he was trying to embarrass USM but it didn't work. Instead of rotating Dak he should just let him play through and bring Damian in after Dak is done. Both QBs would benefit more from that.

MetEdDawg
08-31-2014, 07:06 AM
1) Definitely concerned about the OL. Day was very good his sophomore year but I've not been impressed with him since then. Beckwith did not play well last night. I think he get's one more game and Clayborn starts.

2) Griffin will get beat out by Shumpert by the end of the year. Love him to death and wish him the best, but he's clearly lost speed in hitting the hole and he doesn't seem to have his weight properly balanced when he runs. I think he will struggle against good defenses. I hate that for him and I still think he can be successful in certain situations, but I just don't see him holding up over the course of a season and being a factor for us in big games.

3) We have weapons for days. J Rob, Bear, Jameon, the Freds, Malcolm, Dak, RoJo. Finally SEC caliber there.

4) Defense is legit and I can see why we call them 1A and 1B. The 1B obviously isn't quite as good, but you can interchange parts from both units and not know the difference. We will be tough to crack this year.

5) Damien Williams is not the future for this team at QB. If Fitz doesn't beat him out by next year I will be concerned. He can do some things fine but I just don't think he is our answer there. He's timid, he doesn't read progressions, and he's not very good at positioning himself to throw a good ball. We are not going to play Fitz unless we have to I'm guessing, but I think at some point Fitz has to get some reps because he may have to be our QB going forward. I think that was my biggest disappointment from last night.

But overall I was happy. I think there is a lot to work on, but I think there is a lot to build off of. We've got two more games where we should dominate then the big test. I will be interested to see what changes are made next week.

civildawg
08-31-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm pretty sure dan told dak not to take a beating out there and just stand in the pocket and throw it. You could tell dak was never really looking to run

Pollodawg
08-31-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure dan told dak not to take a beating out there and just stand in the pocket and throw it. You could tell dak was never really looking to run

This. How many times did we actually let Dak run it? I think he finished up with 22 yards on the night. As we get into the meat of the season and need his legs more, we will see that number go up.

Maroonthirteen
08-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Only two things from perfection;

OL has to get stronger and more push.

I'm worried we don't have any break away speed on offense. We got to the edge a few times with different players and couldn't take it to the house.

Outside the lines; I imagine it is difficult to get good help down there. But the event staff.....mercy.

The student section may have to many seats. Maybe it was the weather. But that east side section didn't fill up. (Poor frat kids that stood in the rain to save seats unnecessarily.). But the AD may think about taking that back and offering mini packs. We shall see if it fills up for auburn.

preachermatt83
08-31-2014, 03:38 PM
1) Definitely concerned about the OL. Day was very good his sophomore year but I've not been impressed with him since then. Beckwith did not play well last night. I think he get's one more game and Clayborn starts.

2) Griffin will get beat out by Shumpert by the end of the year. Love him to death and wish him the best, but he's clearly lost speed in hitting the hole and he doesn't seem to have his weight properly balanced when he runs. I think he will struggle against good defenses. I hate that for him and I still think he can be successful in certain situations, but I just don't see him holding up over the course of a season and being a factor for us in big games.

3) We have weapons for days. J Rob, Bear, Jameon, the Freds, Malcolm, Dak, RoJo. Finally SEC caliber there.

4) Defense is legit and I can see why we call them 1A and 1B. The 1B obviously isn't quite as good, but you can interchange parts from both units and not know the difference. We will be tough to crack this year.

5) Damien Williams is not the future for this team at QB. If Fitz doesn't beat him out by next year I will be concerned. He can do some things fine but I just don't think he is our answer there. He's timid, he doesn't read progressions, and he's not very good at positioning himself to throw a good ball. We are not going to play Fitz unless we have to I'm guessing, but I think at some point Fitz has to get some reps because he may have to be our QB going forward. I think that was my biggest disappointment from last night.

But overall I was happy. I think there is a lot to work on, but I think there is a lot to build off of. We've got two more games where we should dominate then the big test. I will be interested to see what changes are made next week.

1) Agree 100%
2) Disagree 100%- Griffin averaged well over 5 ypc. He is not a burner, but he is a good back that looked amazing finding holes
3)yes
4)Yup
5)agreed