PDA

View Full Version : benefit of playing USM

drunkernhelldawg
08-31-2014, 12:23 AM
I was wrong about this too. Now I see how it solidifies our dominance of college football in Mississippi. I see now it helps both recruiting and overall image. It turns the other way is they get closer to our level. Doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon.

FlabLoser
08-31-2014, 12:34 AM
Back when we were closer to being equals, we has nothing to gain and too much to lose by playing them. These days, it's another annual OOC opportunity to keep the money in-state.

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 02:52 AM
Their whole thing the whole time was we were "scared" to play them. This despite the fact that they last time USM beat us, we went Tech and 10 and we won the last two meetings when they had Favre. And that was pre-Jackie.

However, if we are going to play JSU and Alcorn and not USM, we would have really looked scared. It was just a matter of us backing up the "Our State" talk- and if you are going to proclaim that you are king of the hill, you have to back it up. And I'm really pleased that we did that tonight.

I do think that they would have given us some really good games in the 1990's- heck, Memphis usually did at that time as well, but we usually found a way to win it seemed like.

I have always been OK playing USM. But I also don't think we should play them every year. Every 4-6 years is reasonable IMO. It's not in our best interest or their best interest to play every year. It eats up an OOC spot and that limits opportunities for both of us. For us, I think it limits pre-season bowl opportunities as well as ability to schedule other local teams like Tulane, Memphis, etc. especially now that LT is making us play a Big 5 team. And for USM, it limits their ability to play people like Nebraska.

Todd4State
08-31-2014, 02:54 AM
Back when we were closer to being equals, we has nothing to gain and too much to lose by playing them. These days, it's another annual OOC opportunity to keep the money in-state.

When we play a I-AA team, I prefer it be JSU, Alcorn, or Valley for this reason. Assuming Valley straightens out their scholarship situation of course. I was kind of bummed when I heard we were playing Northwestern State.

UT-Martin I'm OK with because they are coached by a MSU alum.

Maroonthirteen
08-31-2014, 07:22 AM
College football is suppose to be about providing scholarships for students and entertainment for alums. Playing USM is am exciting game for the players and fans. I think we saw that last night. They brought a good number of fans. Many groups of fans had a mix of msu/USM. One of our coaches talked post game about our guys playing old team mates. It makes good sense to play them. Regardless of the politics.

Now I agree, I think it is a waste of talent and resources in such a small state as ms to have 3 schools. However the reality of the situation is, they aren't going anywhere in our lifetime. So play them every now and then. Especially if we are going to play UAB and Memphis.

Great game last night. Good times.

engie
08-31-2014, 07:56 AM
The only problem with the deal as I see it is that we gave them a home and home. That part legitimized them to an extent. Should have gotten at least a 2 for 1 out of them, as we've done with every other C-USA/Sun Belt team

1bigdawg
08-31-2014, 11:03 AM
The only problem with the deal as I see it is that we gave them a home and home. That part legitimized them to an extent. Should have gotten at least a 2 for 1 out of them, as we've done with every other C-USA/Sun Belt team

Agree Completely

SDDawg
08-31-2014, 11:33 AM
I am fine with the home and home since it is in-state. There will be just as many MSU fans at the game next year (including me traveling from out of state) as there will be USM fans, so it's not a huge "give".

ScoobaDawg
09-01-2014, 07:55 PM

You mean like that Home and Home we are doing with South Alabama in their SECOND year of being D1.

engie
09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
You mean like that Home and Home we are doing with South Alabama in their SECOND year of being D1.

No -- I mean like the 2 for 1 we got from South Alabama -- as I clearly stated in my post. They played in DWS in 2012 and will again in 2016 as part of the deal for us to play them there in 2014.

Pollodawg
09-01-2014, 08:04 PM
No way we ever should have given Southern a 1-and-1 deal.

War Machine Dawg
09-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Completely agree. Ninja effed up by not getting a 2-for-1.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Mullen is just proving this is our state. If my math is correct he is 9-1 in games vs Mississippi Schools and the only one we have not beaten is Valley.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Hopefully with the new SEC Network money we will not have to schedule a home and home. By the way I don't mind playing in Hattiesburg. It will pretty funny their stadium all marroon that day.

Offshore Dawg
09-02-2014, 05:42 AM
Best results about ( 49 to ZERO ) is they should shut the <17> up about the Dawgs being afraid to play them.

I mean really Southern go back to CUSA you are no longer ready for prime time.

FanninDawg
09-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Maybe back when this game was scheduled it was good to play USM, but now it seems like a wasted weekend. as discussed in other threads, USM has fallen to division 1-AA level. I'm kind of jealous of other team opening with SEC play. This year should be a great year and we have to wait.

Johnson85
09-02-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't think there's a huge benefit to us playing USM. But it doesn't hurt us anymore, so it's basically like us playing Jackson St and Alcorn. Can't play them every year, but why not help them out every few years and keep some resources in-state.

ScoobaDawg
09-02-2014, 10:30 AM
No -- I mean like the 2 for 1 we got from South Alabama -- as I clearly stated in my post. They played in DWS in 2012 and will again in 2016 as part of the deal for us to play them there in 2014.

Woops sorry Engie.. I was trying to remember a 2nd game and couldn't find it.

Goat Holder
09-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Until they beat us.

All of you are confident now, because we just blew them out. I seem to remember getting a beating like that from Ole Miss in Oxford, then turning around one season later and beating them into submission at home.

Playing in Hattiesburg next year will suck. We should never do it again. Worst that should happen is the 2 for 1, but I don't really like that either. We were better than Troy/Louisiana Tech/Houston/MTSU/etc., but when we play at their place it's always a dogfight. The only mid-majors we should play on the road should be Memphis, Tulane and UAB, because they are in cities where we recruit and they typically suck. Peaches' Jackson idea is better than playing in Ruston, Troy and Hattiesburg.

We lose 3 OL starters next year, along with countless other seniors. We'll be cocky due to what happened Saturday. They'll be in their third year under Monken and jacked beyond belief with revenge on their minds. Did anyone see how Dylan Bradley wreck our OL this past week? Double that effort next year. They lose 1 starter on offense and 6 on defense.

Cockiness on this board is out of control. It's like none of you pay attention to history and only half-ass learn from mistakes. You only remember what happened in the last 10 minutes.

fishwater99
09-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I like it as long as we win, and they really suck right now.

I text SMTTT to several friends and relatives at halftime Saturday.. They were not very happy to say the least.
I got several FU's as responses...Loved it...

HoopsDawg
09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Until they beat us.

All of you are confident now, because we just blew them out. I seem to remember getting a beating like that from Ole Miss in Oxford, then turning around one season later and beating them into submission at home.

Playing in Hattiesburg next year will suck. We should never do it again. Worst that should happen is the 2 for 1, but I don't really like that either. We were better than Troy/Louisiana Tech/Houston/MTSU/etc., but when we play at their place it's always a dogfight. The only mid-majors we should play on the road should be Memphis, Tulane and UAB, because they are in cities where we recruit and they typically suck. Peaches' Jackson idea is better than playing in Ruston, Troy and Hattiesburg.

We lose 3 OL starters next year, along with countless other seniors. We'll be cocky due to what happened Saturday. They'll be in their third year under Monken and jacked beyond belief with revenge on their minds. Did anyone see how Dylan Bradley wreck our OL this past week? Double that effort next year. They lose 1 starter on offense and 6 on defense.

Cockiness on this board is out of control. It's like none of you pay attention to history and only half-ass learn from mistakes. You only remember what happened in the last 10 minutes.

Those days are over chief. You have the Have's and the Have Not's. If you aren't in a Power 5 conference, you are a Have Not. And USM doesn't have the recruiting advantage of Prop 48 guys anymore. There's a huge gap between our 2 programs right now and it's not closing any time soon. I agree with the previous posters that it needs to be a 2 to 1 series though.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Until they beat us.

http://i.imgur.com/tMyyOIB.gif

http://i.imgur.com/aDotpg6.gif