PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand why hitters want to use stances like Renfroe does

AlSwearengen
05-22-2013, 08:38 PM
there is too much damn body movement before the swing even begins. More movement means more things to go wrong.

I seen it dawg
05-22-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't understand why in the hell he was late on a damn fastball. Only pitch he is looking for there.

Coach34
05-22-2013, 08:44 PM
there is too much damn body movement before the swing even begins. More movement means more things to go wrong.

agree 100%...he and Rea kill me

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Most hitters that use open stances use them because they think it helps them see the ball better- at least in their mind.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of wide open stances because if you don't get closed up, you aren't in a good hitting position and you can't get to an outside pitch.

MitchD24
05-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I was always told that using that wide stance was a terrible stance.. Throws off that first step

I seen it dawg
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
When you are open like that if your timing isn't perfect you start diving into the baseball. Takes exceptional talent to have lengthy success with that stance.

MSUDawg4Life
05-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Agreed. Way too much wiggling. I think it is contributing to his slump.

Coach34
05-22-2013, 10:48 PM
When you are open like that if your timing isn't perfect you start diving into the baseball. Takes exceptional talent to have lengthy success with that stance.

THIS

I Seen It Dawg is a good baseball mind as well and he is 100% on this- you have to be a super talented mf'er just to try and hit this way because of how people will bust you in and you have to be able to get the barrel thru the zone to catch up to it.

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 10:51 PM
I was always told that using that wide stance was a terrible stance.. Throws off that first step

To me, a stance is more about comfort. But if you have a weird stance or something like a high leg kick, you better make sure you find a way to get into a good hitting position.

I've always liked Albert Pujols's stance. Slightly open, but not exagerrated.

I seen it dawg
05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
The best part of Pujols stance is its quiet to violent. Zero excess movement until he attacks the baseball.

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 10:55 PM
The best part of Pujols stance is its quiet to violent. Zero excess movement until he attacks the baseball.

Exactly, he's pretty much in a good hitting position from the start. All he has to do is take a step and lock in his hips and attack the baseball.

MitchD24
05-23-2013, 05:57 AM
I played baseball for almost 15 years and growing up I watched Andre "The Cat" Galaragga, some of y'all may know who I'm talking about lol, but if you remember he had a really wide stance and that's the stance I always wanted to use

HereComesTheSpiral
05-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I always thought it was to get more leg movement to generate more power since that is where your power in hitting comes from. Seems like the ones that use this stance are feast or famine type hitters and pitchers can learn how to get around them.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Power is generated from hip torque and bat speed...the timing of those 2 together is where power comes from. All leg movement does is get you in big trouble. The quieter the body the better. The more movement going on in your stance and swing the more talented you better be to be able to hit consistently.

WeWillScrewItUp
05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
I have always believed that as far as stance goes you just have to be relaxed and do what feels comfortable. Hitting is all about being comfortable.

gravedigger
05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
My problem with it is that the batter is stepping towards the plate and a good pitcher with inside location can handcuff the batter almost every time. Rea strikes out like this a great deal.

Renfroe seems to be lunging and getting under most pitches.

Ronny
05-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Last night I watched a Renfroe at-bat via an internet feed & I am no hitting expert, but I can tell you what his problem is:

He is trying to kill the damn ball.

He reminds me of when Sammy Sosa used to swing so hard, he would literally screw himself into the ground. That's Renfroe: Trying to knock the shit out of the ball instead of concentrating on making contact.

Renfroe needs to stop trying to be Barry Bonds & just concentrate on making contact. It seems he just can't handle the idea of hitting a Texas League blooper to shallow right field for a single. He acts like he is Casey at bat & will be labeled a failure by society if he doesn't hit the ball 500 ft. everytime he bats.

Coach34
05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Power is generated from hip torque and bat speed...the timing of those 2 together is where power comes from. All leg movement does is get you in big trouble. The quieter the body the better. The more movement going on in your stance and swing the more talented you better be to be able to hit consistently.

THIS

Give me 3 hours with Wes Rea and he would be a beast at the plate. Spread out and even up, eliminate as much stride as possible. Front leg trigger goes straight up and down in the same spot as much as possible. All that movement from open to closed is closing his hips up too much. Not to mention the timing issues

The Croom Diaries
05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
I think it's all about timing. Every batter has a different way of making sure they are ready to rip the ball when it comes out of the pitcher's hand...which is being squared up with your weight on your back leg. Chipper Jones and Adrelton Simmons have a ridiculous toe tap that I don't understand how they hit with, but it helps their timing. Adam LaRoche stands straight up and then strides to the pitch. Renfroe and Rea are just doing that while the pitcher is winding up and they get squared when the ball is thrown. You'll notice Pujols is crouched with even weight distribution but when the pitcher releases he shifts his weight...this would be optimal but most guys just don't feel comfortable waiting on the pitch from the position they will hit in. I don't think his batting stance has anything to do with his struggles nor does it affect him on inside pitches. We are just freaking out because our best hitter is in a funk at the most crucial time of the season.

The Croom Diaries
05-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Last night I watched a Renfroe at-bat via an internet feed & I am no hitting expert, but I can tell you what his problem is:

He is trying to kill the damn ball.

He reminds me of when Sammy Sosa used to swing so hard, he would literally screw himself into the ground. That's Renfroe: Trying to knock the shit out of the ball instead of concentrating on making contact.

Renfroe needs to stop trying to be Barry Bonds & just concentrate on making contact. It seems he just can't handle the idea of hitting a Texas League blooper to shallow right field for a single. He acts like he is Casey at bat & will be labeled a failure by society if he doesn't hit the ball 500 ft. everytime he bats.

I think he is trying to kill the ball in certain situations because ordinarily that is what he would do with that pitch - kill it. But he is not seeing it as well as in the past and he isn't making good contact. He has been popping up a lot which is indicative of getting under it - missing it by a 1/2 inch.

He has 3 hits in the SEC Tourney so far. All of them with runners in scoring position. If he hadn't gotten the RBI single vs. Missouri we'd be uneasy about our hosting chances. He'll get it figured out. Hopefully it will be tonight and the ball will look like a softball by the time Regionals roll around.

Ronny
05-23-2013, 12:14 PM
I think he is trying to kill the ball in certain situations because ordinarily that is what he would do with that pitch - kill it. But he is not seeing it as well as in the past and he isn't making good contact. He has been popping up a lot which is indicative of getting under it - missing it by a 1/2 inch.

He has 3 hits in the SEC Tourney so far. All of them with runners in scoring position. If he hadn't gotten the RBI single vs. Missouri we'd be uneasy about our hosting chances. He'll get it figured out. Hopefully it will be tonight and the ball will look like a softball by the time Regionals roll around.

...was him trying to kill balls out of the strike zone.

One pitch was high & headed toward his head & he swung at it with the ferocity of a Hells Angel in a bar fight.

I am not questioning his hitting prowess.

I am questioning his personal expectations which seem to be based on becoming the all-time HR leader in college baseball.

If he would just settle down a little bit and use his upper body strength to make solid contact, he would be zipping line shots to all parts of the field for doubles.

The Croom Diaries
05-23-2013, 12:17 PM
...was him trying to kill balls out of the strike zone.

One pitch was high & headed toward his head & he swung at it with the ferocity of a Hells Angel in a bar fight.

I am not questioning his hitting prowess.

I am questioning his personal expectations which seem to be based on becoming the all-time HR leader in college baseball.

If he would just settle down a little bit and use his upper body strength to make solid contact, he would be zipping line shots to all parts of the field for doubles.

He is definitely pressing. But I don't think he's necessarily pressing to hit home runs. He'll snap out of it. Frazier did. Bradford did. Pirtle did. It just sucks because he was having an all-time year until the last two weeks.

AlSwearengen
05-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Believe it or not, I think I learned more about hitting during my years of playing softball than I did in baseball. Before you laugh, i played softball with or against people like todd nace and jody hurst to name a couple that are recognizable around here. You could watch an average hitter at that level and then watch some of the truly talented guys like those two and see how hitting should be approached. Many guys would basically use a windup in hopes of generating power. Those two guys had very basic swings without alot of movement. They were always hard outs and by that I mean you almost never saw them not hit the ball squarely. And for two guys that aren't physically imposing, they could mash the hell out of it, especially todd nace.

Those two had quick hands but they had also mastered using their hips. I remember playing in a tournament in florida in an association that allowed a really flat pitch that we weren't used to and it was wreaking havoc on the "old school" softball players. They were getting jammed because of their windups at the plate. Todd was trying to explain to them between games how they needed to cut out all of that movement. Of course, it was asking a little much of them to adjust in an hour's time, but it showed the contrast b/t the half of the team that was baseball players and the half that was old school softball players.

hometowndawg
05-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Dang I havent heard that name in awhile now. I probably got 20 Andre Galaragga baseball cards I will sale you.

Ill need $2 a pop to let them go...

msumudcat
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
You guys kill me. Renfroe is 1-3 in every stat in the SEC over this season and will be a first round pick. In a slump. Rea has been clutch and both are way over .300 for the season. What do you freaking want? Geesh.