PDA

View Full Version : Getting worried about this weather

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm gonna be there come hell or high water but I just hope people don't stay home because of the rain. We need to pack that stadium to the max and make that bitch shake it's so loud. Lot of big time recruits will be in attendance

TheRef
08-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm gonna be there come hell or high water but I just hope people don't stay home because of the rain. We need to pack that stadium to the max and make that bitch shake it's so loud. Lot of big time recruits will be in attendance

I do have a feeling that the rain will prevent some people from coming. Then some that do come will leave early due to it raining during the game, potentially.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 05:46 PM
But hey...this rain will give Dan motivation to RTGDF

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2014, 05:50 PM
I'd be curious to know how many times it's rained for our 1st home game? Hasn't rained in Starkville in forever, but of course it rains on our first game.

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2014, 06:07 PM
I'd be curious to know how many times it's rained for our 1st home game? Hasn't rained in Starkville in forever, but of course it rains on our first game.

I don't know but I'm pretty pissed about it. I've been waiting on this shit for months

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2014, 06:11 PM
weather.com says there will be a break in the weather about 6 or 7. What do you think Ref?

TheRef
08-29-2014, 06:14 PM
weather.com says there will be a break in the weather about 6 or 7. What do you think Ref?

They're a POS and I don't like anything they put out and....oh.....you were talking about the forecast itself.....well that's awkward.

By break, what do you mean? It ending? Because I just don't see that happening right now.

MafiaDawg
08-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Everyone needs to grow some nuts regarding the weather. Its probably going to rain. Make a drink and deal with it and show up. Stop being a budussy.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2014, 06:19 PM
I was looking this morning at the simulated radar on the NAM and it was showing it starting before dawn, really setting in about 4:00pm, maxing out around 7:00pm, and then slowly winding down by around 10:00. Of course that's one model that is already old.

RougeDawg
08-29-2014, 06:20 PM
No offense ref, but the weather forecasts for the New Orleans area are only halfway correct about 30% of the time. So I'm holding out hope tomorrow's prediction is slightly off and we don't get the tropical soaking rains we were getting in NZo when we were leaving.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 06:23 PM
No offense ref, but the weather forecasts for the New Orleans area are only halfway correct about 30% of the time. So I'm holding out hope tomorrow's prediction is slightly off and we don't get the tropical soaking rains we were getting in NZo when we were leaving.

None taken. The difficult thing with forecasting near the gulf is the fact that you can get convective storms easily due to the high amount of surface heating and the pure moisture that is constantly streaming out of the Gulf. Also, your NWS Weather Forecast Office is out of Baton Rouge and New Orleans (Weird, but it works). But like I said, nothing wrong with their forecasts and it's a very difficult situation to deal with.

Bear@Work
08-29-2014, 06:25 PM
But hey...this rain will give Dan motivation to RTGDF

RTGDMF'F!

Todd4State
08-29-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm much more worried about lightning than I am the rain. I don't want the game to be delayed and I don't want to have to evacuate.

The rain won't bother me. I'll just make sure I have a change of clothes in the car.

RougeDawg
08-29-2014, 06:30 PM
None taken. The difficult thing with forecasting near the gulf is the fact that you can get convective storms easily due to the high amount of surface heating and the pure moisture that is constantly streaming out of the Gulf. Also, your NWS Weather Forecast Office is out of Baton Rouge and New Orleans (Weird, but it works). But like I said, nothing wrong with their forecasts and it's a very difficult situation to deal with.

That's what I was getting at. The weather along the coast is so unpredictable because of subtropic climate and tropical weather systems.

ETA. I can't count the number of days we have had 0-10% rain chances and I get rained on all day at work.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm much more worried about lightning than I am the rain. I don't want the game to be delayed and I don't want to have to evacuate.

The rain won't bother me. I'll just make sure I have a change of clothes in the car.

Lightning is a very real and possible danger in this game. Remember the SEC guidelines for lightning since we will have someone in the press box monitoring the situation constantly (yay for having a Meteorology department on campus).

Cloud to ground lightning within 10 miles: PA system will advise fans to leave the stands and move to a safe area beneath stands

Cloud to ground lightning within 6 miles: Play will be suspended until no C-G lightning occurs within a 6 mile radius of the stadium for 30 minutes. A 10-minute warmup period may be utilized.

Cloud to ground lightning within 1 mile: Stadium is fully evacuated until threat passes.

Beaver
08-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Also, your NWS Weather Forecast Office is out of Baton Rouge and New Orleans (Weird, but it works).

The actual NWS office is in Slidell.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 06:41 PM
The actual NWS office is in Slidell.

Yeahhhh....yet they call it NWS New Orleans/Baton Rouge.....Government.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Fully evacuate as in leave the building? I think that would be more dangerous than just being in the concourses. Where would 60,000 people go?

TheRef
08-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Fully evacuate as in leave the building? I think that would be more dangerous than just being in the concourses. Where would 60,000 people go?

Below the stands into covered areas away from the open.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Below the stands into covered areas away from the open.

That makes sense. I was reding that as in they would be forced to completely exit DWS. Ain't no way this little black duck would do that with CG lightning close by.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 07:03 PM
That makes sense. I was reding that as in they would be forced to completely exit DWS. Ain't no way this little black duck would do that with CG lightning close by.

No no....you're staying in a covered area and out of reach as much as possible from C-G lightning.

sleepy dawg
08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
wunderground is showing gives hope to me. I'd bet we're going to get wet, but the main thing is just being able to get the game in, and hopefully started on time. By 7, we're below 50%.

The worst part is definitely the threat of lighting. The rain is irrelevant to me.

The far right % is percentage of rain. First one is humidity.
http://i.imgur.com/TyZ43Q1.jpg?1

BulldogBear
08-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I dont' car so much about wet but lightning I do. Don't wanna be there all night from delays either. Never have left a game before it was over and don't intend to.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Hey Ref - looking at radar and that almost looks to be a low pressure in the gulf. How close is this to being a tropical system? I know probably too close to land to develop, but was wondering if any of the latest model runs hint at that kind of rain for tomorrow. I know at least one was this morning but that was then.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Hey Ref - looking at radar and that almost looks to be a low pressure in the gulf. How close is this to being a tropical system? I know probably too close to land to develop, but was wondering if any of the latest model runs hint at that kind of rain for tomorrow. I know at least one was this morning but that was then.

No chance at all of it developing, that's the source of the moisture feed for this system.

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Ref,

I know you like to shoot us straight, but is there any optimism you can give me?

What is the best case scenario?

TheRef
08-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Ref,

I know you like to shoot us straight, but is there any optimism you can give me?

What is the best case scenario?

Best case: It rains until right before gametime, but stays cloudy.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Best case: It rains until right before gametime, but stays cloudy.

Worst case I'm guessing is we see a large boat loading animals 2 X 2.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Worst case I'm guessing is we see a large boat loading animals 2 X 2.

They'll close the doors before the Mustard Buzzards can climb aboard.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2014, 09:54 PM
They'll close the doors before the Mustard Buzzards can climb aboard.

Chris Jones and Nick James will have already killed, dressed, and eaten them.

Beaver
08-29-2014, 11:13 PM
is there any optimism you can give me?

00z NAM is pretty optimistic. Shows heaviest rain in northern LA and southwestern AL during gametime. Most other models disagree here, but let's hope the NAM comes through.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 11:15 PM
00z NAM is pretty optimistic. Shows heaviest rain in northern LA and southwestern AL during gametime. Most other models disagree here, but let's hope the NAM comes through.

Should I know you, Beaver?

MSUDeltadawg1971
08-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Well, I just drove 8 1/2 hours from Georgia to Madison to make the game tomorrow! Come rain or high water I will be there. I was in rain all the way from Tallahassee to Mobile. Some heavy, some light. I just hope we get rain and no lightning!

Beaver
08-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Should I know you, Beaver?

Doubt it. I did some aviation and environmental work in the past so I've been able to study and learn a lot about weather.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Doubt it. I did some aviation and environmental work in the past so I've been able to study and learn a lot about weather.

Ah okay...just was wondering what your background was since you were talking fairly fluently.