PDA

View Full Version : Actual Football Analysis from last night

Dogchomp
08-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Here's my take on OM last night with actual football analysis and not just hyperbole.

OM Offense - 1st Half - OM still struggles to find an identity in the inside running game. Coupling that with the offensive line continually putting the offense in 1st and 15 and 1st and 20 is a recipe for disaster when trying to throw over the
middle. Hence, 3 int all in the middle of the field. However, Bo deserves majority of the blame as he constantly stared down his receiver and allowed the safety to play off his eyes.

OM Offense - 2nd half - Anyone with eyes could see Bo was actually going through his progressions, and the offensive line stopped putting the offense in a hole with false starts. But, the game changed when OM found something remotely similar to an inside running back in the Wilkins kid. That inside running game opened up the middle of the field, which opened up the outside passing game. If OM want to be a great team, it all rests on the development of an inside power running game.

OM Defense - Simply put, OM's defense is legitimate. They will be in every game because of their defense. Boise had to completely change their game-plan at halftime because of Knemdiche. Their defensive line covers up their biggest weakness (their cornerbacks) simply because the offense doesn't have time to pass downfield. Which leads to a majority of underneath routes, and we all saw how those usually ended.

As a whole, OM looked like an 8-4 team last night. Their defense is great, but their offense is lacking in line play and inside power running.

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Here's my take on OM last night with actual football analysis and not just hyperbole.

OM Offense - 1st Half - OM still struggles to find an identity in the inside running game. Coupling that with the offensive line continually putting the offense in 1st and 15 and 1st and 20 is a recipe for disaster when trying to throw over the
middle. Hence, 3 int all in the middle of the field. However, Bo deserves majority of the blame as he constantly stared down his receiver and allowed the safety to play off his eyes.

OM Offense - 2nd half - Anyone with eyes could see Bo was actually going through his progressions, and the offensive line stopped putting the offense in a hole with false starts. But, the game changed when OM found something remotely similar to an inside running back in the Wilkins kid. That inside running game opened up the middle of the field, which opened up the outside passing game. If OM want to be a great team, it all rests on the development of an inside power running game.

OM Defense - Simply put, OM's defense is legitimate. They will be in every game because of their defense. Boise had to completely change their game-plan at halftime because of Knemdiche. Their defensive line covers up their biggest weakness (their cornerbacks) simply because the offense doesn't have time to pass downfield. Which leads to a majority of underneath routes, and we all saw how those usually ended.

As a whole, OM looked like an 8-4 team last night. Their defense is great, but their offense is lacking in line play and inside power running.

Most defenses with a pulse would have looked legitimate against that Boise offense. I still can't believe how bad that QB was

BeardoMSU
08-29-2014, 09:11 AM

Their D is good, not great. Do they have potential? Yes, I can give them that, but what I saw last night was far from defensive domination; if anything, Boise hurt themselves much more than OM's D did.

thunderclap
08-29-2014, 09:17 AM
The safeties were so close to the line, I kept waiting for some type of hitch and go from somebody. Never happened. Prewitt would have bit big time.

MetEdDawg
08-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Their D is good, not great. Do they have potential? Yes, I can give them that, but what I saw last night was far from defensive domination; if anything, Boise hurt themselves much more than OM's D did.

You shouldn't give up 400 total yards to Boise when they throw 4 picks. And that's with playing their starters the entire game because of how close it was. Any team with SEC size scores two TDs on those first two red zone possessions Boise had instead of a pick in the endzone and a FG.

The reason I'm not impressed with the defense is that Boise was able to scheme guys out of impact on OM's defense. Nkemdiche is a big strong guy and probably caught them off guard. But he did nothing in the second half. Why? Boise schemed him out. They stopped pulling guards and leaving that gap that he was running straight through to the QB. They double teamed him and passed him off down the line. They finally started recognizing blitzes and shifting RB's to pick them up. They just didn't have the size to finish the job where it mattered in the red zone.

Boise was also able to seal off the edge quite a few times and get big plays and they used their over aggression against them. OM has talent no doubt. But it is undisciplined and it has very clear weaknesses that can be exploited. You think you will see OM rushing 4 most every play against SEC teams that can run the ball so their LBs and safeties can tee off on guys in the open field like they did? Heck no.

UMCDawg16
08-29-2014, 09:27 AM

Best case OM is an 8-4 team. I've been saying it and I'll say it again, before everyone crowns OM's defense as the best in the SEC, let's take a look at some facts. 1. They gave up 398 yards of O to a BSU offense that is mediocre, at best. BSU's QB was throwing jump balls all night, he is NOT a good QB. Their achilles heel will continue to be run-defense and their CBs.

UMCDawg16
08-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Boise put up 26 first downs and 400 yards on that "legitimate" defense- Almost 5 yards per play. A team with only one quality offensive weapon, a crappy QB, and a new coaching staff.
And lets not even think for a second that anything other than depth won that game. BSU was dead in the 4th qtr.

Dogchomp
08-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes, they gave up 399 yards to Boise on 85 plays. That translates to 4.69 yards per play which would've ranked in the top 10 in the nation last year in YPP. To relate, we only gave up less YPP to Alcorn State, Kentucky, and Troy last year. And the TO +/- was +1 in OM's favor last night.

Leroy Jenkins
08-29-2014, 09:52 AM

middle. Hence, 3 int all in the middle of the field. Hugh said 2 of those int throws were not even in the progression for that play. So, the issue is bigger than you suggest. However, Bo deserves majority of the blame as he constantly stared down his receiver and allowed the safety to play off his eyes.

OM Offense - 2nd half - Anyone with eyes could see Bo was actually going through his progressions, and the offensive line stopped putting the offense in a hole with false starts. But, the game changed when OM found something remotely similar to an inside running back in the Wilkins kid. That inside running game opened up the middle of the field, which opened up the outside passing game. How did they not know this based on an entire spring and fall of practices? Again, bigger issues here. 2.1 YPC vs Mtn West D-line. If OM want to be a great team, it all rests on the development of an inside power running game.

OM Defense - Simply put, OM's defense is legitimate. They will be in every game because of their defense. Boise had to completely change their game-plan at halftime because of Knemdiche. BSU proved Knemdiche can be neutralized because there is no other threat to gameplan for... so, not legitimate. Maybe Gross helps. Their defensive line covers up their biggest weakness (their cornerbacks) simply because the offense doesn't have time to pass downfield. What happens when they face teams who dont need to push the ball downfield and just decide to run over their small line and tiny LBs? BSU ran very well in the middle of that D.... We're talking BSU. Which leads to a majority of underneath routes, and we all saw how those usually ended.

Thank you Mr Belicheck for setting us straight with your "actual football analysis". However, I have decided to offer an analysis of your analysis.

Ultimately, no one knows how good the bears were or how bad BSU was.

fishwater99
08-29-2014, 09:57 AM

They will lose to Auburn, Bama, LSU and A&M. So are you saying the Bears will beat us this year?

Coach34
08-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeahhhhhh- that's quite a Red and Blue sugar analysis.

I saw a team last night that is not in top 5 of the West

godlluB
08-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Yes, they gave up 399 yards to Boise on 85 plays. That translates to 4.69 yards per play which would've ranked in the top 10 in the nation last year in YPP. To relate, we only gave up less YPP to Alcorn State, Kentucky, and Troy last year. And the TO +/- was +1 in OM's favor last night.

Ok, but Boise's QB makes Bo Wallace look like Joe Montana. Most of his completions were to receivers who were wide open and standing still waiting for the ball to get to them. Since they had been standing around waiting for a while, they were easy targets for big hits from the OM secondary, but if you'll look closely, those defenders weren't wrapping up, they were just laying big hits with their shoulders. Against better QB's and faster, larger, and more agile receivers who won't be standing still waiting to be hit, those big hit plays won't happen as often, and if the secondary doesn't start wrapping up when they hit the receivers, OM will be facing a lot of big plays once the conference schedule rolls around.

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2014, 10:04 AM

So how long is this troll gonna hang around? trying way too hard to take up for that shittastic performance

UMCDawg16
08-29-2014, 10:11 AM

So what's your point?

Dogchomp
08-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Hey Leroy, let's play a game called "how much common sense do you have." If 2 are the int throws were NOT in the progression, then that means he wasn't going through his progressions. FYI you just lost the "how much common sense do you have" game.

2nd point, you actually agreed with me. So thank you.

3rd point, I agree about OM small D line and bigger teams should be able to run downfield effectively. However, idk what game you were watching if you didn't notice Knemdiche in the 1st half, compared to when they started double and triple-teaming him in the 2nd half.

I will accept you calling me Belicheck, thank you.

Covercorner2
08-29-2014, 10:16 AM

Calling their defense "great" is hyperbole...

SDDawg
08-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Yeahhhhhh- that's quite a Red and Blue sugar analysis.

I saw a team last night that is not in top 6 of the West

I fixed it for you. Bielema is feeling his oats right now.

Dogchomp
08-29-2014, 10:21 AM
It's an analysis. Neither pro nor against OM. I'll do the same Sunday after I watch us play. I'm just trying to bring more substance to the board. If I were to write a post on what OM did wrong last night, I could've written a 5-paragraph essay. Like it or not, this post is creating conversation.

UMCDawg16
08-29-2014, 10:23 AM
It's an analysis. Neither pro nor against OM. I'll do the same Sunday after I watch us play. I'm just trying to bring more substance to the board. If I were to write a post on what OM did wrong last night, I could've written a 5-paragraph essay. Like it or not, this post is creating conversation.

Yeah, its creating conversation, because most of it doesn't add up to what everyone saw on the field last night.

Dawgfan77
08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
OM does not I repeat does not have a good defense. Small lb, and lost cb's. I think Conner is solid and prewit is ok. Prewit looks bigger and slower, he likes to play center field that can lead to big plays vs a bosie but its gonna hurt them later playing a better team that can stretch the field. DL didn't impress me. For all the love they were getting pre season they were not dominate against a young bosie OL. Kimdashian played ok first half then disappeared second half. Would not classify that as dominate. What I took away was there d is going rank about 10th in league this year

Bear@Work
08-29-2014, 06:22 PM

Hey, nice disguise Hugh Kellenburger. I saw he had this same exact tweet. Funny you just joined the site a month ago....

"Love critique of Ole Miss' defense giving up 399 total yards. It was only 4.69 per play, which would have been eighth nationally in 2013."</p>&mdash; Hugh Kellenberger (@HKellenbergerCL) https://twitter.com/HKellenbergerCL/statuses/505443807618293760

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2014, 06:44 PM
How was Boise able to run 85 plays last night?

Just looked it up, Boise only had 2 three and outs last night on offense.

Boise was a well below avg team and Ole Miss' defense only held them to 2 three and outs.

That being said, I believe Ole Miss' defense will be pretty good, but this whole "Elite" defense stuff is a delusional pipe dream. Ole Miss will need to score at least in the 20s to beat good teams, and, after watching last night, I haven't the slightest clue how they are going to do that.

yjnkdawg
08-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Hey, nice disguise Hugh Kellenburger. I saw he had this same exact tweet. Funny you just joined the site a month ago....

Hugh Kellenberger? Now, that makes sense why his post made no sense.

drunkernhelldawg
08-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Calling their defense "great" is hyperbole...

I don't think they're great, but I do think they've got a lot of upside. I also don't think you can write off their offense based on that mistake-filled performance. The offense looked disorganized to me. I think there's a few unhappy campers in that unit.

defiantdog
08-29-2014, 07:45 PM
The score was 7 - 6 going into the 4th quarter. Boise State gave up after OM scored twice early in the quarter. And by the way, "ELITE" defenses don't give up 135 yards rushing to a smaller Boise State. Look at the possession in the game.... Boise held the ball for 36 minutes compared to OM's 23 minutes. Now why is their defense great? Cause they had a few big hits? That's garbage man. I think this "Actual Football Analysis" was posted on the wrong board.

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2014, 08:01 PM
The score was 7 - 6 going into the 4th quarter. Boise State gave up after OM scored twice early in the quarter. And by the way, "ELITE" defenses don't give up 135 yards rushing to a smaller Boise State. Look at the possession in the game.... Boise held the ball for 36 minutes compared to OM's 23 minutes. Now why is their defense great? Cause they had a few big hits? That's garbage man. I think this "Actual Football Analysis" was posted on the wrong board.

This is exactly what's funny to me. They had a few big hits and kardashian got in the back field, several times from the unblocked gap mind you, but yet they elite and legit. But yet Boise puts 400 yards on em and rushed for 140. Just don't get it

I seen it dawg
08-29-2014, 08:07 PM
If Arkansas was worth a **** OM would finish 4 and whatever

I seen it dawg
08-29-2014, 08:09 PM
OM won't bowl

BulldogBear
08-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Went last night. Just got back. Was able to read some things on here but can't really effectively post from my phone. Way too tedious. Somebody already said it but they have no running game. Nothing. They may find it but if they don't they're bound for 5 to 7 wins. All my Bear friends had for analysis after the game was along the lines of the game was close because they turned the ball over so much first half. Well.....so did Boise. If Broncos had avoided turnovers in red zone Rebs would've been panicking come 4th quarter. I actually like Engram because I like the hybrid positions. But I came to realize he doesn't know how to go get the football. The one toward him in the endzone should never have been thrown but the one early where he had beaten coverage was one he should've gone and gotten, not stopped and waited on. I swear it's almost like Treadwell's all they've got on O. SHut him down and they will struggle big time. Boise never really did this. Didn't see much double coverage on him at all.

Coach34
08-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Ole Missus will beat Vandy and Tenn because both are horrible...but they are going to have a tough time winning a game vs the West

Auburn and Bammer are gonna whip their ass upfront
They play LSU and UPig on the road- making it alot tougher to win at those places. UPig is physical and LSU's OL may be the best in the country
They wont win @ A&M
And they damn sure arent beating us

Better hope HUD doesnt slip up on them

Coackjek
08-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Leading tacklers for their defense last night were their DB's. That speaks volumes. The times the safeties didn't cheat up BSU's running backs made it the second level. The DB's also had most of their 10 tfl's. Two of their big sacks came at the end by two linebackers at 15 and 16 yards. Still trying to figure you out on Nkemdiche. Stat line shows 3 tackles and 1 pass breakup. No sacks, no tfl, and no qb hurries. I do remember him causing the rb to bounce and choose plan b a few times, but overall I wasn't impressed.

Dogchomp
08-29-2014, 10:52 PM

"Love critique of Ole Miss' defense giving up 399 total yards. It was only 4.69 per play, which would have been eighth nationally in 2013."</p>— Hugh Kellenberger (@HKellenbergerCL) https://twitter.com/HKellenbergerCL/statuses/505443807618293760

I said something that's written in the Bible today, doesn't mean I can turn water to wine. I hate your intelligence, I'd probably wouldn't like you if we met either, but I don't jump to conclusions. This is why most MSU graduates make fun of posters like you. I try and bring football intelligence to this board and suddenly I'm Ole Miss' beat writer? Geez man, the world isn't out to get us.

Dogchomp
08-29-2014, 10:59 PM

You do realize that OM's defense has no control over T.O.P.? Do you need me to explain to you why there was a gap in T.O.P.?

chainedup_Dawg
08-29-2014, 11:21 PM
You do realize that OM's defense has no control over T.O.P.? Do you need me to explain to you why there was a gap in T.O.P.?

Actually they do. Force more 3 & outs like a good defense should thus the offense has the ball for less time. Is this really that difficult? If you can only force a MWAC team to have 3 3& outs, your D is not elite. Period.

Also, 400 yards of total offense against a first year head coach and shittastic qb is not good.

ETA: I'm not saying their D is horrible, I'm saying it's far from great and sure as he'll not elite. I think they'll be okay on D. But have a long way to go before anybody has the right to talk elite status

LiterallyPolice
08-29-2014, 11:46 PM

For what it's worth, I thought your analysis was pretty fair. They had many issues that they can easily clean up (false starts) and some that are what they are (their QB decision making / arm strength). It's really impossible to say anything for certain because it's one game, and first games can be wacky.

I also find it ridiculous how paranoid people are about bear trolls. It reminds me of the "She's a witch!" scene for Monty Python Holy Grail.

BulldogBear
08-29-2014, 11:50 PM
For what it's worth, I thought your analysis was pretty fair. They had many issues that they can easily clean up (false starts) and some that are what they are (their QB decision making / arm strength). It's really impossible to say anything for certain because it's one game, and first games can be wacky.

I also find it ridiculous how paranoid people are about bear trolls. It reminds me of the "She's a witch!" scene for Monty Python Holy Grail.

And what do we burn apart from witches?????

TheRef
08-29-2014, 11:51 PM
And what do we burn apart from witches?????

MORE WITCHES!!!!!!!!

LiterallyPolice
08-29-2014, 11:55 PM
MORE WITCHES!!!!!!!!

Dogchomp turned me into a newt!
I got better.

TheRef
08-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Dogchomp turned me into a newt!
I got better.

http://i.imgur.com/6PN2HP4.gif

BulldogBear
08-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Burn her anyway!!!

I seen it dawg
08-30-2014, 07:53 AM

Seriously Clark? Uhhhhh if they stop giving up first downs and stupid penalties that create automatic first downs they stop Boise from having the ball. Which decreases their TOP

So who does control the offense TOP?

Dogchomp
08-30-2014, 09:16 AM

I haz 1 board friend :')

How much 2 friends costs?

Dogchomp
08-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Seriously Clark? Uhhhhh if they stop giving up first downs and stupid penalties that create automatic first downs they stop Boise from having the ball. Which decreases their TOP

So who does control the offense TOP?

The truth is in the middle man. Sure, some of it is OM's defense not forcing 3 and outs everytime. On the other hand, OM's offense continually went 3 and out, and even the drives that OM scored on were very quick scores. I'm not fabricating anything, the metrics back me up.

Just be sure to argue with me and call me stupid when I use the same stats to talk good about us and our defense.

I seen it dawg
08-30-2014, 11:26 AM
The truth is in the middle man. Sure, some of it is OM's defense not forcing 3 and outs everytime. On the other hand, OM's offense continually went 3 and out, and even the drives that OM scored on were very quick scores. I'm not fabricating anything, the metrics back me up.

Just be sure to argue with me and call me stupid when I use the same stats to talk good about us and our defense.

That's better. You first said the OM def had no control. Just wanted to have clarification. Good job.