PDA

View Full Version : When Derek Mason said "I don't believe in redshirting" I knew he was fired

Reason2succeed
08-29-2014, 12:15 AM
But now I think he may set a new record.

Temple?!?

Todd4State
08-29-2014, 12:17 AM
That was a Croom-esque statement for sure.

After he said that, I was kind of the same way. I was like- well, they suck again.

msstate7
08-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Patton robinette was 4-6 38 yards 0 td's 0 ints

He was replaced with game tied at 7. It's now 34-7 temple and vandy qb's (rivers and mccrary) are 5-13 82 yds 0 td's 2 ints.

I'd be livid if I was a vandy fan.

Dawg61
08-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Vandy just got embarrassed at home to a team that won 2 games last year. Temple plays in the AAC. Haha Mason sucks.

War Machine Dawg
08-29-2014, 01:21 AM
But now I think he may set a new record.

Temple?!?

That was a Croom-esque statement for sure.

After he said that, I was kind of the same way. I was like- well, they suck again.

I dunno, I kinda give him a break on that. It's Vandy, after all. When they do get good players, they can't really afford to sit them. It's not like they get very many. They're such sticklers for the academic standards that it's a damn miracle they ever win more than about 3 games consistently. There are ways they could loosen up their rules for admission regarding football players, and I'm assuming that's how Franklin managed to get the players he did. I'd also guess they clamped back down now that Franklin is gone. If I was Mason, there's no way I touch a program like Vandy. Hang out at Stanford another year or two and get a better program, even if it's outside the SEC. Just wayyyyy too easy to suck at Vandy.

bobcat91
08-29-2014, 01:52 AM
He should have been fired right after the game based on how poorly he handled the QBs. Robinette was pulled with the game tied and no injury. Rivers was ineffective and the next qb was terrible with two pics. This is a man with no real plan. Yes, that was very Croomesque. He is in way over his head and Vandy will be lucky to have a three win season.

MSUDawg4Life
08-29-2014, 03:29 AM
I knew he was clueless and woefully unaware of the situation he is in when he made that statement.

We can see if he uses the rest of his time at Vandy to grow as coach, but his first stint as head coach will be short. He's simply not ready.

RiverCityDawg
08-29-2014, 05:17 AM
That and the fact that they now run the west coast offense... Not going to work in the SEC with non-elite talent.

Dawgfan77
08-29-2014, 06:41 AM
That and the fact that they now run the west coast offense... Not going to work in the SEC with non-elite talent.
THIS!! You cannot run a pro style system at vandy it ain't gonna work. Mason will get two years unless he pulls an Ellis Johnson this year. Temple won two games last year

Coach34
08-29-2014, 06:54 AM
Vandy has lost a helluva lot of players the last 2 years. Mason may end up sucking- but I knew they weren't going to be very good this year. But that was even worse than expected.

The SEC East is ****ing terrible

msstate7
08-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Vandy has lost a helluva lot of players the last 2 years. Mason may end up sucking- but I knew they weren't going to be very good this year. But that was even worse than expected.

Watch out for Florida. All those injuries last year made them look much worse than they are. Just like Missouri was injury bit 2 years ago and won the east when healthy last year, I expect Florida to do the same

Political Hack
08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Watch out for Florida. All those injuries last year made them look much worse than they are. Just like Missouri was injury bit 2 years ago and won the east when healthy last year, I expect Florida to do the same

y'all are not allowed to jump on my Florida bandwagon now. it's too late. They're going to be good.

msstate7
08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
y'all are not allowed to jump on my Florida bandwagon now. it's too late. They're going to be good.

Sorry hack.

Political Hack
08-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Sorry hack.

ha.

Dawgowar
08-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Vandy last night reminded me of what a kind, wise, and sarcastic Great Uncle once told me when I asked him about Vandy being in the SEC. "Son, we have to have one school in the conference where the players can read"

So they have that going for them. And to the literalists out there, again, this has been sarcasm.

quickstrike2
08-29-2014, 08:39 AM
I personally hadn't like much Derek has said, just seems alot like our Croom era that still makes me cringe. Robinette was not playing badly, the Vandy oline just was giving him no time to do anything effectively the parts that I watched. I'm sure some that contributed to the other two qbs playing poorly as well.