PDA

View Full Version : Learn something new everyday...

maroonmania
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I got to thinking from the softball baserunning discussion about what the rule really is for baserunners being outside the basepaths. I had always thought, apparently incorrectly, that a baserunner had to run the bases within some reasonable distance of the basepaths but apparently I was dead wrong. This is what I found in researching which I assume is correct since pulled from the MLB rulebook:

There are only three restrictions on where a runner can run.

1) If the defense is attempting to make a tag on a runner, that runner must run within three feet either side of a line between where he was and the base. Rule 7.08(a)(1). The line is established when the defense starts the tag play, and if the runner switches directions, that establishes a new line.

2) When a batter hits a ball and is running to first, from the point halfway to first, there is a running lane, three feet wide, just on the foul side of the first base line. If he runs outside of that lane, and interferes with a fielder taking the throw at first base, then he is out for interference. But if there is no throw, then there's no penalty for running outside the lane. Rule 6.05(i).

3) The runner may not run the bases "in reverse order for the purpose of confusing the defense or making a travesty of the game." Rule 7.08(i)

Other than these three situations, the runner can run anywhere.
Source(s):
Official Baseball Rule 6 - The Batter - http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/off?
Official Baseball Rule 7 - The Runner - http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/off?

Now given that, there is no doubt that the correct call was made by the ump in that MSU softball game the other day, and by what I'm reading I'm not even sure it would have made much of a difference if the batter had actually stepped into the dugout (guess it would have been up to the ump's discretion). Now that still doesn't change my opinion that its totally asinine to not have rules that restrict a baserunner to some reasonable margin along the established basepaths and I would make the argument that a baserunner running anywhere he wants is "making a travesty of the game" but it is what it is I guess. Anyway, found it very interesting so I thought I would share with the board.

Coach34
05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
3) The runner may not run the bases "in reverse order for the purpose of confusing the defense or making a travesty of the game." Rule 7.08(i)

aka the "I Seen It Dawg" rule....

I seen it dawg
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Yep thats the rule.

Ed Cook ...goshdarnit in there do Mickey Mouse!!!
Me..Coach they won't go for it. You see I just walked to 2nd
Ed Cook....well we are doing it. Go back to first.
Me...seriously? We now have 2 guys in scoring position with 2 outs.
Ed Cook...I don't care it's gonna work go back to first.
Me...ok you're the coach. (I proceed on the next pitch to go BACK to 1st)
Umpire...son thats making a travesty of the game. You're outta here.

Thanks coach.

Political Hack
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
hilarious. you ruined baseball. All this time I thought it was LSU hitting too many home runs that deflated the bats and made the game worse.

I seen it dawg
05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
That story is a microcosm of my 2 yrs of Juco baseball.

state66
05-22-2013, 05:10 PM
given that, there is no doubt that the correct call was made by the ump in that MSU softball game the other day, and by what I'm reading I'm not even sure it would have made much of a difference if the batter had actually stepped into the dugout (guess it would have been up to the ump's discretion). Now that still doesn't change my opinion that its totally asinine to not have rules that restrict a baserunner to some reasonable margin along the established basepaths and I would make the argument that a baserunner running anywhere he wants is "making a travesty of the game" but it is what it is I guess. Anyway, found it very interesting so I thought I would share with the board.

I talked the rule over with one of my buddies whose a professional umpire in the GCL and the reason the call was correct in the softball game was the batter never entered into the field of play or fair territory so he cant be ruled out until he does so or leaves the playing surface aka steps into dugout. So she never ran the base paths backwards if thats what your saying cause she never entered into the base path to begin with.