PDA

View Full Version : Question for Todd or other baseball guys: Recruiting Power hitters.

601Dawg
05-22-2013, 11:26 AM
What type of hitters do we have coming in that can hit for power/average? I know we have signed some really good pitchers but what hitters do we have coming in or that may be redshirted/not playing much this year (Flair).

Losing Hunter will hurt a TON in the in our power numbers next year. Last night we sure could have used a gapper for extra bases in extra innings but could never get one.

I know we have Reid Humphries and he could play SS (if Frazier leaves) or 3rd next year. After him I could't tell you anything about our position recruits other than we have a kid from Memphis, Pensecola, and California that are supposed to be decent.

Do we need to recruit more power hitters in the future? I know Cohen loves to play small ball etc... but its always to have a couple of guys like Wes and Hunter on the team.

Coach34
05-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Not Todd but our recruiting is getting better. We are getting some bigger players in and power will get better down the road- but next season we will be primarily powerless. Small ball will be in full force

601Dawg
05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Not Todd but our recruiting is getting better. We are getting some bigger players in and power will get better down the road- but next season we will be primarily powerless. Small ball will be in full force

It's funny you mentioned we are getting bigger players, my dad was talking to me about the game last night and said State has some little players out ther (CT, Henderson, Pirtle, Frost). I said yeah, he said he saw LSU and Ole Miss play earlier and they had some bigger guys who looked a ton more muscular than our guys. I know our guys bust their butts in the weight room, but it'd be nice to have multiple 6'3" 210 lb or bigger in our lineup like the OM teams in the early/mid 2000's

engie
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
We've got a legt power threat in Garner redshirting this year.

Then' this is what we've got coming offensively(courtesy of Gene Swindoll).

Reid Humphreys, SS/RHP, 6-2, 180, R-R, Northwest Rankin High School (Flowood, MS)
Reid is considered one of the top players in the nation .... In 2012 he batted .360 with 7 home runs and 38 RBI. He also had a 6-3 record with a 1.85 ERA ... In 2011 he batted .412 with 3 home runs and 18 RBI in 24 games. He also had a 5-2 record with a 3.18 earned run average on the mound.... Reid played his summer ball with the prestigious summer travel team program, the Marucci Elite 16s.... His older brother, Tyler Moore, played baseball at Mississippi State and is currently playing in the Major Leagues .... Top Tools: Hitting For Average, Hitting With Power, Arm Strength, Defense.

Brent Rooker, 1B, 6-4, 185, R-R, Evangelical Christian School (Cordova, TN) HS
One of the top class of 2013 players in the state of Tennessee ... As a junior (2012), he hit .450 with 15 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs and 38 RBI. He also stole 19-of-19 stolen bases ... A great athlete who runs in the 4.65 forty-yard dash range and has a 36-inch vertical leap ... He chose MSU over an offer from Memphis as well as interest

Cody Walker, C, 5-11, 190, R-R, Chattahoochee Valley Community College (Phenix City, AL)
He hit .312 and had a .996 fielding percentage his freshman season at CVCC. He chose Mississippi State over Auburn, Alabama and Columbia State University.

Jake Vickerson, OF, 5-10, 180, R-R, Shelton State (AL) Community College
One of the top junior college prospects in the state of Alabama ... As a freshman, he batted .381 in 194 at-bats, walking 30 times while striking out just 1 times. He stole 19 bases in 21 attmpts ... Chose MSU over Alabama

Dylan Ingram, 1B, 6-4, 210, R-R, Edgewood Academy (AL)
As a junior, he hit .541 with 69 RBI. He was the AISA player of the year as a junior ... Has outstanding power potential ... He is also an outstanding student with a 4.0+ gpa and a 28 act ... He chose MSU over over Auburn, Florida State and several others

Gavin Collins, C, 6-0, 195, R-R, El Toro HS (Lake Forest, CA)
One of the elite prospects in the nation .... Outstanding hitter who is rated a 9.5 out of a 10.0 scale by national scouting service Perfect Game ... Also an excellent defensive catcher with a very good arm. Has a 1.90 pop time to second base ... Has the potential to be a very high draft pick in the 2012 summer MLB draft ... Chose MSU over his other three finalists, Oregon, Arizona State and Fresno State.

601Dawg
05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
I wonder why Garner Redshirted if he has some pop, sure would loved to had him as a DH with pop.

I like the sizes of Humphries, Rooker, and Ingram they could all bulk up and be power hitters.
The Cali kid Collins looks very impressive, I wouldnt be surprised if he is our starter next year if he doesnt get drafted.

Also, what ever happened to that Shempert kid who signed with us out of Houston HS.

state66
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I wonder why Garner Redshirted if he has some pop, sure would loved to had him as a DH with pop.

I like the sizes of Humphries, Rooker, and Ingram they could all bulk up and be power hitters.
The Cali kid Collins looks very impressive, I wouldnt be surprised if he is our starter next year if he doesnt get drafted.

Also, what ever happened to that Shempert kid who signed with us out of Houston HS.

I just didnt see the power everyone talked about from garner this fall. This is why I believe he redshirted and the fact we have 2 senior catchers but garner isnt that big of a dude either so hopefully by redshirting he bulked up a little. Would love to know whats up with shumpert as well.

bobcat91
05-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Any word on Preston Palmerio?

CadaverDawg
05-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I heard on the radio today that the McMullen kid (I think it was him) that starts for LSU is Will Clark's cousin. We're we after him? And if so, does him choosing LSU say anything about Will and Cohen's relationship? Or is the kid just a Louisiana guy that chose LSU bc they're a damn good program?

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Any word on Preston Palmerio?

No word yet.

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I heard on the radio today that the McMullen kid (I think it was him) that starts for LSU is Will Clark's cousin. We're we after him? And if so, does him choosing LSU say anything about Will and Cohen's relationship? Or is the kid just a Louisiana guy that chose LSU bc they're a damn good program?

Will Clark and Cohen have a pretty decent relationship. In fact, Will talked to the baseball team about a month ago. With what Cohen is doing, they are starting to see that Polk was simply butt hurt. As they say, winning cures all ills.

I'm not sure that we recruited McMullen. I think it says that he is from Louisiana and LSU pretty much can get any player from Louisiana that they want. That's why Cohen had to keep recruiting Nick Flair so under the radar.

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
I just didnt see the power everyone talked about from garner this fall. This is why I believe he redshirted and the fact we have 2 senior catchers but garner isnt that big of a dude either so hopefully by redshirting he bulked up a little. Would love to know whats up with shumpert as well.

Garner struggled this fall. He will go off this summer and play and hopefully be ready next year.

Shempert got kicked out of Houston HS for getting caught with pot and then went to Oak Hill in West Point and then didn't qualify academically and is now at Itawamba CC. He had a BAD year for them. He hit .205 with a couple of home runs. I would be surprised if we pursue him further.

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
It's funny you mentioned we are getting bigger players, my dad was talking to me about the game last night and said State has some little players out ther (CT, Henderson, Pirtle, Frost). I said yeah, he said he saw LSU and Ole Miss play earlier and they had some bigger guys who looked a ton more muscular than our guys. I know our guys bust their butts in the weight room, but it'd be nice to have multiple 6'3" 210 lb or bigger in our lineup like the OM teams in the early/mid 2000's

Ole Miss looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

The MOST important thing is to get guys that can play and are willing to work hard and learn. Size is important for pitchers because someone with a bigger frame is going to typically be more durable. Also, power hitters are typically bigger.

Give me guys like CT, Pirtle, Henderson and Frost over guys like Tanner Mathis, Sikes Orvis, Austin Anderson, and Will Allen any and every day.

Todd4State
05-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Speaking of power hitters- I just saw on twitter that Brent Rooker hit three home runs today, which by my count gives him at least seven on the year.