Frost at 3rd
Britton at short
Hann at 2nd
Porter at 1st
Fullerton in left
Robson in center
Armstrong in right
Gentry/Cox/other with little PT on the mound

Don't have a DH and not even sure if Fullerton traveled, but Bracewell's got me thinking about who plays the rest of the tournament. We are in a catch 22, more than likely hosting already and on the outside of a national seed. We literally have nothing to play for in the tournament. Now is not the time to take any chance on a starter getting injured and missing next weekend. All it takes is a wild pitch, a freak throw, or a mistake running bases and we could lose a key player. We are going to see some good pitching tonight, let the players that have not played get a chance to get some at bats against them in case they are put into a situation where they have to play in the regional. From what everyone was saying last night, they are ok with coming home early, so why risk a Rea or Renfroe if you're not really in it to win it.

Homedawg
05-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Slaughter if he can go
Frost at 3rd
Britton at short
Hann at 2nd
Porter at 1st
Fullerton in left
Robson in center
Armstrong in right

Don't have a DH and not even sure if Fullerton traveled, but Bracewell's got me thinking about who plays the rest of the tournament. We are in a catch 22, more than likely hosting already and on the outside of a national seed. We literally have nothing to play for in the tournament. Now is not the time to take any chance on a starter getting injured and missing next weekend. All it takes is a wild pitch, a freak throw, or a mistake running bases and we could lose a key player. We are going to see some good pitching tonight, let the players that have not played get a chance to get some at bats against them in case they are put into a situation where they have to play in the regional. From what everyone was saying last night, they are ok with coming home early, so why risk a Rea or Renfroe if you're not really in it to win it.

Fullerton is not.

The Croom Diaries
05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Slaughter if he can go
Frost at 3rd
Britton at short
Hann at 2nd
Porter at 1st
Fullerton in left
Robson in center
Armstrong in right

We are in an unusual spot. That 17 inning game didn't help any. Still, we do have a chance at winning this tournament however small it may be, and I think if we do we have good chance at a national seed because of who we will beat in Hoover. That said, Bradford, Frazier, Rea, Renfroe and Pirtle all basically played 2 games last night. I think my lineup for the next two games would look like this -

USC -
Detz 1B
Pirtle 2B
Frazier SS
Norris/Frost 3B
Renfroe RF
Robson CF
Henderson LF
Slauter C

vs. Vandy
Rea 1B
Frost 2B
Britton SS
Detz 3B
Armstrong RF
Bradford CF
Robson/Henderson LF
Ammirati C

601Dawg
05-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Lets just hope we get a rainout tonight so we can get some rest.

Homedawg
05-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Lets just hope we get a rainout tonight so we can get some rest.

These are 18-23 year olds. They are up late every night anyway. We didn't play a 5 overtime basketball game. It's baseball. Nobody is taxed.Our catcher didn't catch all 17. No pitcher went more than 3.1. And none of those will throw tonight. Fatigue won't be a factor. An excuse? Maybe. A factor? No.

Sandman14
05-22-2013, 12:19 PM
These are 18-23 year olds. They are up late every night anyway. We didn't play a 5 overtime basketball game. It's baseball. Nobody is taxed.Our catcher didn't catch all 17. No pitcher went more than 3.1. And none of those will throw tonight. Fatigue won't be a factor. An excuse? Maybe. A factor? No.

sounds tough, but is wrong. this is like coming back after a double header and playing the next day. it's not ideal.

I agree 100% with the original post.

engie
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
sounds tough, but is undeniably wrong. this is like coming back after a double header and playing the next day. it's not ideal.

What did he say that "is undeniably wrong"? Nothing.

engie
05-22-2013, 12:26 PM

100% with you on this one. There is practically no carryover because of one long game after 72 hours of rest. If we played a 17 inning game 5 going into game 6 in six days, maybe the fatigue argument could be made.

Sandman14
05-22-2013, 12:32 PM
it wasn't undeniable. so I took that out. but it is wrong to say that a human won't be tired after playing 17 innings of baseball the day before. if you can't understand that, you must not have played sports.

anyway I'm not going to argue with you over it. it's common sense.

The Croom Diaries
05-22-2013, 12:49 PM
It was hot last night. For the guys that played the entire game they may feel fresh for the first 5-6 innings but they will begin to tire in the later innings. It may not be anything noticeable, but a half step late in tracking down a fly ball or a little slower bat speed can make all the difference in the world. I think you are putting your best foot forward when you are putting fresh bodies out there. We have a decent bench.

Homedawg
05-22-2013, 01:10 PM
it wasn't undeniable. so I took that out. but it is wrong to say that a human won't be tired after playing 17 innings of baseball the day before. if you can't understand that, you must not have played sports.

As for not playing sports, I've been there and done that. After 5 straight days in the sun and then do that maybe. It was one game at night. Like I said its baseball not football or hoops. there's a reason baseball is Playe basically every day for 162 game a year in the pros.

Homedawg
05-22-2013, 01:13 PM
sounds tough, but is wrong. this is like coming back after a double header and playing the next day. it's not ideal.

So what you are saying is the guys who played college baseball 25 years ago were tougher? Because they played dh every Saturday and then another game on Sunday.

engie
05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
It is RIDICULOUS that you can't discuss a single point without taking attempting to take potshots at whoever you are attempting to discuss with. I initially addressed this -- but I won't go there. I played at a fairly high level with some historically good coaching along with about 10 guys that made the minors and 4 that are in the major leagues right now.

You don't have to agree with my viewpoint -- but to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about on this is...well...unfathomable in reality but unsurprising coming from you.

No, it really isn't "common sense". There is NOTHING extendingly tiring about playing baseball for 17 innings under nightfall that has any tangible hangover effect on you the next day as any position player outside of catcher -- who neither caught more than a full game. Not if you are mentally and physically in shape anyway like I presume our guys are. But like you say, I wouldn't know -- I just caught both ends of 23 9-inning doubleheaders my first year of college en route to catching every single inning in all 50 games we played which, obviously by the numbers, were practically all double-headers -- but what would I know about the subject matter...

engie
05-22-2013, 01:22 PM
As for not playing sports, I've been there and done that. After 5 straight days in the sun and then do that maybe. It was one game at night. Like I said its baseball not football or hoops. there's a reason baseball is Playe basically every day for 162 game a year in the pros.
Exactly.

So what you are saying is the guys who played college baseball 25 years ago were tougher? Because they played dh every Saturday and then another game on Sunday.
How can this be? Sandman claims that we never played sports and don't know what you were talking about for arguing that notable fatigue should not set in after a single "doubleheader"...

Will James
05-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Uh early in the season we played a few series with a Friday game 2 Saturdays and a Sunday. Playing today isn't nearly as taxing. Unless you argue the 30 minutes between breaks helped so much.

Coach34
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Our guys got to sleep late and lounge around today- they will be fine

The only fatigue to worry about is with the pitching staff if we get to a game 5 or 6 because of the extra innings

Sandman14
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
I think you are wrong. I think you just like to argue with me after the whole UGA thread. But like I said, I'm not going to argue with you. You don't think playing baseball for 17 innings and into the a.m. has any affect whatsoever on SEC baseball players playing the next day. I do. I think it's typically leveled out by the fact that you are playing a team that had to do the same thing the day before. Here, that is not the case. USC will be fresh.

23 9-inning double headers is impressive. thats 46 baseball games, just on your double header days. nice. your coach didn't do you any favors, did he?

Sandman14
05-22-2013, 01:32 PM
but I do see that you are now qualifying with the word "notable." so I'll take that for what it's worth.

engie
05-22-2013, 02:07 PM
I think you are wrong. I think you just like to argue with me after the whole UGA thread.
No. My problem with you is simple -- you just refuse to state your viewpoint and leave it at that or rationally discuss without making it personal in some way. The nonproductive arguments get started when you call out other people's opinions out and basically call them stupid -- just like telling me I never played sports for quantifying my own opinion -- or calling homedawg's opinion "undeniably wrong". There is a huge difference between "I disagree" and "you are wrong".

Personally, I hate these "arguments" -- but I'll certainly continue to take up for people who have proven to be good posters over time when people attack their viewpoints unreasonably -- which I thought you did multiple times in this thread.

You don't think playing baseball for 17 innings and into the a.m. has any affect whatsoever on SEC baseball players playing the next day. I do. I think it's typically leveled out by the fact that you are playing a team that had to do the same thing the day before. Here, that is not the case. USC will be fresh.
We'll see.

23 9-inning double headers is impressive. thats 46 baseball games, just on your double header days. nice. your coach didn't do you any favors, did he?
No, he didn't. The physical toll wasn't that bad(I have still never had even a second of knee trouble)-- the mental toll made it difficult. Didn't help that I called every pitch, alignment, first and third, bunt defense, etc from the catcher's box. I essentially managed the entire team on the defensive side -- short of actually making the lineup and pitching changes. All that stuff adds up pretty quickly at times... and I'd find myself less mentally sharp by inning 15 or so...

engie
05-22-2013, 02:12 PM
but I do see that you are now qualifying with the word "notable." so I'll take that for what it's worth.

If fatigue is not "notable", does it even actually exist? I say no -- not in any tangible way to the outcome of a game, it doesn't. In such instances, it simply exists as an excuse IMO.

If we get beat tonight by South Carolina, it will be because they were better than us -- or because of the limiting of our own pitchers and pitch counts -- not because we were actually tired in any way as position players and hitters. IMO.

Sandman14
05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I should not have written "undeniably." it was stupid of me to write that. that's why I took it out. But you had quoted before I could get it deleted.

hopefully you won't have knee problems..I almost commented on that, but then I though maybe you'll be fine since it was not for an extended period of time.

but I think any coach that would do that to a kid is not looking out for his best interests.

SaltyDawg
05-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Sandman you make this board unenjoyable. Please stop posting. Just stop. Become a reader and refrain yourself from writing anything.

Sandman14
05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Ok, I will do so. I disagree that the chilling of speech is what you guys are after. I think debate and whatnot would help the board, and you should want as many knowledgeable posters as possible, even if you hate certain ones. Surely someone will comment that I am not knowledgeable, but this is wrong. I've spent as much or more time analyzing the regional situation as any one one here, for instance. But I will stop posting, and there will be less dialogue because of it.

bulldogcountry1
05-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Only 5 guys played the whole game, and it's not like any of them spent the night running the base paths.

Coach34
05-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok, I will do so. I disagree that the chilling of speech is what you guys are after. I think debate and whatnot would help the board, and you should want as many knowledgeable posters as possible, even if you hate certain ones. Surely someone will comment that I am not knowledgeable, but this is wrong. I've spent as much or more time analyzing the regional situation as any one one here, for instance. But I will stop posting, and there will be less dialogue because of it.

I dont want you to stop. Continue on please.

Coach34
05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Only 5 guys played the whole game, and it's not like any of them spent the night running the base paths.

hahaha-no shit. There alot more sitting in the dugout watching terrible AB's than anything

Will James
05-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Even though Pirtle maybe should have.

engie
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I should not have written "undeniably." it was stupid of me to write that. that's why I took it out. But you had quoted before I could get it deleted.

hopefully you won't have knee problems..I almost commented on that, but then I though maybe you'll be fine since it was not for an extended period of time.

but I think any coach that would do that to a kid is not looking out for his best interests.

Of course he wasn't looking out for my best interests...and it goes alot deeper than overplaying me at catcher. My very signing there was a mistake that ultimately hurt my baseball career alot more than it helped despite putting up pretty good numbers there -- I'll leave it at that.

I should have taken the invited walk-on from McDonnell in high school and never looked back. My dream was always tunnel visioned toward earning a scholarship at MSU -- but the pursuit of that goal ultimately was a huge mistake for me in hindsight...

Homedawg
05-22-2013, 03:22 PM

I'm the one who you originally disagreed w but I don't want you to stop posting. That's me but do what u want to do. Disagreeing is part of it TE way I look at it. But who am I to say.

engie
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't want you to stop posting either -- just modify how you express yourself a little bit to be more constructive than destructive...

Will James and goat, for two, has done an excellent job of what I'm talking about over here...and it's led to much higher quality and more enjoyable overall baseball discussion even when people are disagreeing...

Sandman14
05-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I will do that. Like I was saying, I immediately went to change my post to make it less-offensive because I realized it was offensive, but it had already been quoted...

Modification in progress...