PDA

View Full Version : The Finebaum interview with Spurrier tonight was excellent, he asked him...

IMissJack
08-27-2014, 10:33 PM
if he could have imagined 3 consecutive 11 win seasons at USC when he arrived 10 years ago. I thought his response was great...when I got here we needed some facility upgrades...some wealthy alums that had never been asked to give before have given me the money to be able to compete to keep the best players in SC here. They used to go to FL, TN, GA, now they stay here. And, now we are getting more out of state kids wanting to come here.

I really see similarities to Dan Mullen (not the personality of Spurrier, but who does). The facilities are better now, recruiting coming around some, I hope Mullen's story is similar after 10 years. By the way (I haven't checked this) but they put up a stat that prior to Spurrier, SC had 1 10 win season, and only had ever won 3 bowl games.

Political Hack
08-28-2014, 07:47 AM
if he could have imagined 3 consecutive 11 win seasons at USC when he arrived 10 years ago. I thought his response was great...when I got here we needed some facility upgrades...some wealthy alums that had never been asked to give before have given me the money to be able to compete to keep the best players in SC here. They used to go to FL, TN, GA, now they stay here. And, now we are getting more out of state kids wanting to come here.

I really see similarities to Dan Mullen (not the personality of Spurrier, but who does). The facilities are better now, recruiting coming around some, I hope Mullen's story is similar after 10 years. By the way (I haven't checked this) but they put up a stat that prior to Spurrier, SC had 1 10 win season, and only had ever won 3 bowl games.

there's zero doubt about that. CDM gets the credit for building it but our alumn stepping up for facility upgrades is huge. also, the sec money allowed us to leave USM, UAB, Troy, CFU, and others that we actually used to compete with for recruits in the dust.

RougeDawg
08-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Spot on. I saw that interview also.

Spurrier's record over his first 5 seasons is almost identical to Mullen's record. The facility upgrades are on par as well. As I said in a similar thread, this season sets up well to propell our program into that upper level of the sec. We are looking at relatively 8 relatively non difficult wins. Of The other 4 (Aub LSU Bama and OM) three are also winnable, two of which I think we will be favored in when they roll around (Aub & OM). 10 wins isn't far fetched for 2014, propelling us into the upper echelon of the sec.

Bully Dee Williams
08-28-2014, 10:16 AM
I didn't know this until the other night when I was watching one of the programs, but our new weight room is bigger than the one at Florida by quite a bit. It's a small thing, but it shows we are now competing with the big boys in terms of facilities quality.