PDA

View Full Version : New Walk on MIF

MsStateBaseball
08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
As I suspected, we needed another one when Burdick signed pro. A JC guy. Matt Spruill 6-1 190 from Panola JC in Texas.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
As I suspected, we needed another one when Burdick signed pro. A JC guy. Matt Spruill 6-1 190 from Panola JC in Texas.

Isn't that where Pirtle came from?

MsStateBaseball
08-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Yes. The coaches do love the Texas JC's. Good players coming out of there.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes. The coaches do love the Texas JC's. Good players coming out of there.

Any info on him? Is he a solid player?

MsStateBaseball
08-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Looks like he did "sign" last November. The Panola paper says he mostly played 2B before moving over to 3B late in the season. He is not on PG at all. He went to HS in Virginia. Well, this is interesting. His older brother Zeke is a pitcher in the MLB for Diamondbacks. So hey, here is another diamond in the rough. Maybe he will be a player.

MsStateBaseball
08-27-2014, 11:09 AM
He played for the Lima Locos with several of our players this summer. Played only 2B and 3B. His BA wasnt great but who knows.

maroonmania
08-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Can't imagine we would expect him to start but just be a backup. I'm assuming that the starting infield is going to be some combination of Heck, Britton and the FSU transfer (can never remember his name) plus Rea at first. On the topic of baseball, what do you guys think will be our expectations going into the 2015 season? I kind of feel they will be down over the expectations going into last year.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2014, 11:14 AM

I had to read that title about three times. It kept looking like Walk-on MILF at first.

MsStateBaseball
08-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Cohen will always have quality backups. We need two at each position. We won't depend on the true FR Gridley. We now have Heck, Holland, Spruill, Gridley, Britton and Michael Smith can play 2B. If Heck or Holland got injured we needed another experienced MIF.

Last year, I expected to be right where we ended up. I didn't think we would reach the CWS if we didn't hit. In 2015, with everyone healthy, I expect to be in a Super. In other words, I think we are top 15 team. We are young in spots, OF for instance, but the talent is there. I really expect to be a much better offensive club. Our pitching may end up being great. We do need a closer or closer by committee though. Look for lots more HR's due to the new ball and just more talented at the plate. Butch will mold the pitching by the end of May, they will be very good.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Let's not forget, Pirtle only batted like .230 in JUCO from that same school, and now he's one of our favorites of the last 20 years. I would gladly take another Pirtle

MsStateBaseball
08-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Spruill played in every game for Panola and had the most hits. He did SO too much but he is a good hitter. He had the most RBI's too.

maroonmania
08-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Cohen will always have quality backups. We need two at each position. We won't depend on the true FR Gridley. We now have Heck, Holland, Spruill, Gridley, Britton and Michael Smith can play 2B. If Heck or Holland got injured we needed another experienced MIF.

Last year, I expected to be right where we ended up. I didn't think we would reach the CWS if we didn't hit. In 2015, with everyone healthy, I expect to be in a Super. In other words, I think we are top 15 team. We are young in spots, OF for instance, but the talent is there. I really expect to be a much better offensive club. Our pitching may end up being great. We do need a closer or closer by committee though. Look for lots more HR's due to the new ball and just more talented at the plate. Butch will mold the pitching by the end of May, they will be very good.

Glad you think we will be better than last year but from the outside looking in I don't think most will view us that way going into the season. With the graduation and draft losses out of the bullpen and the outfield I'm thinking preseason predictions are going to bump us down a notch or two. I still don't see anyone in our lineup that is going to scare anyone and starting pitching is solid but still not stellar.

MsStateBaseball
08-27-2014, 12:17 PM
I have the mindset that these kids improve each year. I think Humphreys, Collins, etc will be hitting stars. I will have a big write up before and after fall practice. Lots of factors go into having a great year. I will talk about those as well.

headcoach98
08-27-2014, 03:10 PM
I remember Zeke Spruill, he used to be in the Braves minor league system. Good bloodlines.

Todd4State
08-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Cohen likes competition- and having lots of guys that can play multiple positions is helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays some OF potentially. We'll figure it out this fall.

Todd4State
08-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Can't imagine we would expect him to start but just be a backup. I'm assuming that the starting infield is going to be some combination of Heck, Britton and the FSU transfer (can never remember his name) plus Rea at first. On the topic of baseball, what do you guys think will be our expectations going into the 2015 season? I kind of feel they will be down over the expectations going into last year.

The bullpen is the biggest question mark. That probably means that the starters will go deeper- Fitts, Ross, and one of the sophomores from last year. We have four really talented sophomores in Hudson, Tatum, Sexton, and Houston that will have more of a role next year. One of them will probably be in the rotation. If two of them step up, I think it will allow us to move Ross back to the bullpen where he is better, although I fully expect him to start the year. Laster is probably going to be our Caleb Reed/Girodo/Lindgren guy this year that comes out of the bullpen and pitches multiple innings. We have some JUCO sidearmers/submarine guys that will get a look as well. The sidearmer from Georgia- Elliott- seems to be the most likely to make an impact immediately. But you never know with Butch and his magic. Gentry is going to have a bigger role. I think Paul Young will surprise some people because not very many people know about his talent.

We won't replace Lindgren and Holder- but that doesn't mean we will struggle either.

The thing about our team is we have a lot of seniors coming back. Usually when that happens, you have a good year. See Ole Miss last year. I don't foresee us starting any freshmen unless one just really stands out.

I think we have another 35-40 win season, we'll probably be a little bit hungrier than last year too. So, I think a SR/CWS bid is very reasonable to expect.

Todd4State
08-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Glad you think we will be better than last year but from the outside looking in I don't think most will view us that way going into the season. With the graduation and draft losses out of the bullpen and the outfield I'm thinking preseason predictions are going to bump us down a notch or two. I still don't see anyone in our lineup that is going to scare anyone and starting pitching is solid but still not stellar.

Collins has a chance to make the Team USA collegiate team next year. Rea will be better- and he will have more protection in the lineup than he did last year. Heck and Britton both finished the year very strong- both were over .300 after the Ole Miss series. The only question mark I have is Holland. I don't think he will replace Pirtle, but I do think he can hit .300 and he will probably actually improve our middle infield defense over last year.

Vickerson and Cody Brown had strong summers this year. Especially Vickerson. Robson played a little bit of summer ball at the end, and I think he probably starts. If he doesn't, we have Michael Smith who at the very least will give us more speed than CT. Humphreys should be better, although he missed summer ball this past season because of an injury.

We weren't a bad hitting team last year- we were bad with RISP. Experience will help with that, not to mention I guarantee you that it will be a point of emphasis this offseason.

State82
08-27-2014, 05:15 PM
We weren't a bad hitting team last year- we were bad with RISP. Experience will help with that, not to mention I guarantee you that it will be a point of emphasis this offseason.

I agree. Especially about the added year of experience. I am going to be disappointed if we are not significantly improved in the area of hitting with RISP. But, I've been disappointed before so I won't hold my breath on it.

maroonmania
08-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Collins has a chance to make the Team USA collegiate team next year. Rea will be better- and he will have more protection in the lineup than he did last year. Heck and Britton both finished the year very strong- both were over .300 after the Ole Miss series. The only question mark I have is Holland. I don't think he will replace Pirtle, but I do think he can hit .300 and he will probably actually improve our middle infield defense over last year.

Vickerson and Cody Brown had strong summers this year. Especially Vickerson. Robson played a little bit of summer ball at the end, and I think he probably starts. If he doesn't, we have Michael Smith who at the very least will give us more speed than CT. Humphreys should be better, although he missed summer ball this past season because of an injury.

Oh, no doubt, we have potential all over the team just don't feel like we have a lot of proven commodities coming back next year and that is going to hold expectations down. Thinking through our lineup and pitching, other than maybe Ross Mitchell, I don't see anybody that would potentially be 1st team preseason all-SEC and maybe not even second team.