PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Justin Cox & Will Redmond may return kicks

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2014, 08:33 AM
That is the rumor, and it should make everyone happy.

thf24
08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Good. I still like RoJo back on kickoff returns as a lead blocker, but I'd much rather see one of those two in the primary KO return spot and returning punts instead of Tubby.

msstate7
08-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Love it

FlabLoser
08-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I like having defensive ballers return kicks. Your really don't need an offensive playmaker running a gasser right before an offensive series.

engie
08-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Redmond has All-American potential here. This is great news if true...

fishwater99
08-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Let's hope Bracky doesn't suspend Redmond again..

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
08-27-2014, 09:42 AM
I like it. I love Tubby as a receiver and I think he may put up crazy numbers this year, but I usually cringe when he catches a punt. Banks always looked comfortable and made it look like an outfielder camped under an easy fly ball. Tubby not so much.
Redmond, Cox, Graham, and Holloway would be my top choices for punt returns, in that order.

thunderclap
08-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Been waiting on us to try and get the most out of Redmond. Hope this is a step.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Redmond and Cox were both standouts as return men prior to MSU I believe. This would be tremendous news, bc both of them have the breakaway speed to take one the distance

defiantdog
08-27-2014, 10:07 AM
They'll probably get there shot in the second half of the USM game. But currently, RoJo and Tubby are listed as the starting return men.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2014, 10:11 AM
They'll probably get there shot in the second half of the USM game. But currently, RoJo and Tubby are listed as the starting return men.

Chris Jones is listed as the second string DT also. So I take that roster with a grain of salt...although I do expect to see Tubby and Rojo back there for the first kick.

shoeless joe
08-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Redmond and Cox were both standouts as return men prior to MSU I believe. This would be tremendous news, bc both of them have the breakaway speed to take one the distance

Cox is extremely gifted with the ball in his hands. He always reminded me of a slippery jerious Norwood...if that makes sense.

messageboardsuperhero
08-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Best news I've heard all morning. Hopefully it actually happens on Saturday.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Tubby was the 1 who said Redmond & Cox were running 1st team kick returners this week.

yjnkdawg
08-27-2014, 10:29 AM
QUOTE=defiantdog;232985]They'll probably get there shot in the second half of the USM game. But currently, RoJo and Tubby are listed as the starting return men.[/QUOT

I think Coach Mullen said the depth chart doesn't mean anything concerning who will get the most touches in a game. I agree with CadaverDawg, that Rojo and Tubby will probably be out there to receive the first kickoff. I like the thought of Redmond and Cox being back there as well, as maybe Holloway.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Tubby was the 1 who said Redmond & Cox were running 1st team kick returners this week.

Really? In an interview?

DudyDawg
08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Chris Jones is listed as the second string DT also. So I take that roster with a grain of salt...although I do expect to see Tubby and Rojo back there for the first kick.

Agreed. I'm using that depth chart to basically see who's hurt or not. Cause that's not who's playing or starting. It doesn't mean much

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Really? In an interview?

Yep it was in Paul's biscuits this morning.

First Biscuit - On Tuesday I talked some more with MSU senior receiver Jameon Lewis, mainly about his role on special teams this year. He said improving his play on special teams was a big emphasis for him because he said he must be able to do that well in order to play in the NFL. Lewis said he was returning punts again but noted that his role on kickoff returns may be decreased due to the amount of offensive reps he will take this season. Lewis said he believes senior Justin Cox and junior Will Redmond will be the two guys to watch on kickoff returns this year (and said both were running first-team there). And on Southern Miss and facing good friend and former Tylertown standout Tyre'oune Holmes, Lewis said Holmes was injured and may not play in this game Saturday.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Yep it was in Paul's biscuits this morning.

First Biscuit - On Tuesday I talked some more with MSU senior receiver Jameon Lewis, mainly about his role on special teams this year. He said improving his play on special teams was a big emphasis for him because he said he must be able to do that well in order to play in the NFL. Lewis said he was returning punts again but noted that his role on kickoff returns may be decreased due to the amount of offensive reps he will take this season. Lewis said he believes senior Justin Cox and junior Will Redmond will be the two guys to watch on kickoff returns this year (and said both were running first-team there). And on Southern Miss and facing good friend and former Tylertown standout Tyre'oune Holmes, Lewis said Holmes was injured and may not play in this game Saturday.

Good news on the return game. Hate it for TMan Holmes.

MetEdDawg
08-27-2014, 11:07 AM
To me this fixes our biggest problem that I've had with kickoff returns. Breakaway speed. RoJo doesn't have it. Tubby is quick and can hit holes but doesn't have breakaway speed. Redmond and Cox do. They can hit a hole and it be lights out.

We've gotten caught from behind or pushed out of bounds around midfield on more than our fair share of kickoff returns and lost potential points and field position because of it. If Cox hits a hole and gets free there won't be many out there who can get an angle and chase him down. Same for Redmond. I like this move a lot.

preachermatt83
08-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Can either of them kick fg's? **

FlabLoser
08-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Tubby can return kicks 50 yards on LSU. I'm good with that.

But I sure don't mind having a home run hitter back there.

Dawgfan77
08-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Not sure how Paul would feel posting premium contnt

Reason2succeed
08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Mullen knows that without KR & PR capability Tubby won't even get a FA invite in the NFL. It has nothing to do with skill. He's simply too short for NFL WR in their minds.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
I forgot what game it was (Alcorn maybe) but we were receiving the 2nd half kickoff and as you know if we ran it back then some fan got a new car. Lewis took the kick and had a clear path to the endzone but was caught from behind and tackled at the two yardline. I am sure that women had to be restrained from jumping over the railing. I know I would have.

thf24
08-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Mullen knows that without KR & PR capability Tubby won't even get a FA invite in the NFL. It has nothing to do with skill. He's simply too short for NFL WR in their minds.

Kendall Wright for the Titans is 5'10" and ran a 4.61 40 at the combine, and he was taken in the first round and has been one of their most targeted receivers the last few years. He's a very similar player; not tall, not the fastest but gets open with quickness and great route running. I'm not arguing that kick/punt return experience wouldn't help Tubby, but I think if Wright can make it as strictly a receiver in the NFL, Tubby has a chance too.

defiantdog
08-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Steve Smith, david Patten, Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Lance Moore, Antwaan Randle El, Santana Moss, Eddie Royal, and Desean Jackson all disagree with you.

deltadawg99
08-27-2014, 01:55 PM

He'll get a shot, but that is really frustrating if that is Mullen's reason for having somebody return kicks. Shouldn't he be focused more on what's best for the team?

Lewis was good on kickoffs, but was awful at punt returns. Hell one of the toughest catches he made all year was his fair catch on his own 5 in the egg bowl that eventually led to us getting a punt blocked in the endzone.