PDA

View Full Version : Bears having problem with the NCAA clearinghouse this year?

fishwater99
08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Freeze said Monday there is "no word" from the NCAA on the eligibility of wide receiver Damore'ea Stringfellow and offensive tackle Christian Morris, meaning neither is likely to play this week. Stringfellow transferred from Washington earlier this summer, while Morris came in from UCLA in January. Both have petitioned for a waiver to play this year, rather than sit out under NCAA transfer rules.

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2014/08/ole_miss_releases_depth_chart_1.html

Why would they grant them a waiver on either of these two guys?

thf24
08-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Judging by DGB being denied immediate eligibility at OU, the NCAA may have decided to drop the hammer on the abuse of these transfer rules that's been going on lately. Not sure about Morris' situation, but Stringfellow has fairly similar circumstances to DGB, so I wouldn't be too hopeful for him if I were the Bears.

EAVdog
08-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Stringfellow got denied yesterday. You can call Pelini an ass for making those statements but I'm sure he wanted to add some extra weight to ensure the NCAA didn't make him immediately eligible.

Dick move for sure but it's a cut throat business.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Stringfellow got denied yesterday. You can call Pelini an ass for making those statements but I'm sure he wanted to add some extra weight to ensure the NCAA didn't make him immediately eligible.

That's got to be one of the few sentences that can have the words dick and throat in it and it not be dirty.

HancockCountyDog
08-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Stringfellow never had a chance, the same with DGB. You can't get run off from one school and then somehow become eligible at another.

They have a shot at Morris because he is going from UCLA to the bears and he is from Memphis, so Im sure he has some sick relative that he can claim he moved back home to be near.

The NCAA is cracking down on waivers in football and it is my understanding they are cracking down in basketball too.

getatmedawg
08-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Stringfellow never had a chance, the same with DGB. You can't get run off from one school and then somehow become eligible at another.

They have a shot at Morris because he is going from UCLA to the bears and he is from Memphis, so Im sure he has some sick relative that he can claim he moved back home to be near.

The NCAA is cracking down on waivers in football and it is my understanding they are cracking down in basketball too.

I don't think that Morris ever actually played at UCLA but I could be wrong. Seems like he was only out there a couple of weeks and he got homesick and left. Another softie.

maroonmania
08-27-2014, 09:01 AM

They should eliminate the waivers altogether except for the case where you've graduated and want to do graduate work somewhere else (that one I can see). If you want to transfer to take care of a sick Granny, well fine, but I don't see how that should make you immediately eligible. You are on scholarship either way so you are telling me that the player can't take care of or see ol' Granny as much because they are NOT playing football that year. Utterly ridiculous and an obvious method to skirt the rules.

thf24
08-27-2014, 09:04 AM
I wish they'd drop the sick relative rule. It may sound insensitive, but why should transferring to be closer to a sick relative entitle someone to subvert the rules and play football immediately? If anything I'd think the NCAA would want to deny eligibility to make sure the transfer is doing it for the reason he says he is and actually have time to spend with the hypothetical relative.

If you want to transfer to take care of a sick Granny, well fine, but I don't see how that should make you immediately eligible. You are on scholarship either way so you are telling me that the player can't take care of or see of ol' Granny as much because they are NOT playing football that year. Utterly ridiculous and an obvious method to skirt the rules.

Beat me to it.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2014, 09:11 AM
I wish they'd drop the sick relative rule. It may sound insensitive, but why should transferring to be closer to a sick relative entitle someone to subvert the rules and play football immediately? If anything I'd think the NCAA would want to deny eligibility to make sure the transfer is doing it for the reason he says he is and actually have time to spend with the hypothetical relative.

Beat me to it.

And you're a college kid. How much are you really playing the role of a primary caregiver? I'm betting not much. It just seems to me that potential TSUN transgers have the sickest relatives I have ever seen. Every last one of them is having to come back home to take care of a sick relative.

PassInterference
08-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Minor setback. He'll sit out a year and play next year. If this thug can stay off the police blotter.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Minor setback. He'll sit out a year and play next year. If this thug can stay off the police blotter.

Picture taken in TSUN locker room:
http://www.allegancounty.org/images/Government/SD/COR_tour_HoldingCell.jpg