PDA

View Full Version : Shelly done for good?

WilliamHam445
08-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Heard a rumor today at work that John Mark Shelly is getting another surgery, possibly tommy john again on his elbow, and he isn't playing anymore. Anyone know any truth to that?
I can't imagine another surgery this soon after his injury in the spring. But if so, that's a tough loss he was one of the few upperclassman we have. If it's true I wish him the best. Always hate to see injuries be the end of a 94+ mph arm.

maroonmania
08-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Heard a rumor today at work that John Mark Shelly is getting another surgery, possibly tommy john again on his elbow, and he isn't playing anymore. Anyone know any truth to that?
I can't imagine another surgery this soon after his injury in the spring. But if so, that's a tough loss he was one of the few upperclassman we have. If it's true I wish him the best. Always hate to see injuries be the end of a 94+ mph arm.

Such is the fragile nature of being a baseball pitcher. Every time you throw a pitch you literally don't know if it might be your last. Best of luck to him in whatever he chooses to do going forward.

msstate7
08-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Listening to news on brandon beachy and kris medlen (both brave pitchers on 2nd TJ surgery), I've learned that recovery from second TJ surgery has a lot to do with age. Since Shelly is so young, I would think he could recover if he wants to come back.

Steakonastick
08-26-2014, 01:23 PM
I heard a few days ago his career Is over. I think this is his 3rd arm surgery.

msstate7
08-26-2014, 01:24 PM
I heard a few days ago his career Is over. I think this is his 3rd arm surgery.

Yeah, uh, 3 isn't good...

MsStateBaseball
08-26-2014, 01:52 PM
He said something the other day on twitter that seemed odd to me. He wasn't as upbeat as usual. I don't know though. Todd 4 State knows, I bet.

KB21
08-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately, he may be yet another victim of year around baseball for a pitcher. These injuries at this age are a direct result of wear and tear that have been put on the arm at a much younger age. I'd be curious to know how much and how often he played when he was 9-10 years old. I have no issue with year around baseball, but you cannot pitch year around. As a pitcher, you need an off season to rest your arm.

Todd4State
08-26-2014, 08:54 PM
The rumors I'm hearing are that he is done.

I'm not sure if he had a set back, tore UCL again, or what the case was/is.

Todd4State
08-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately, he may be yet another victim of year around baseball for a pitcher. These injuries at this age are a direct result of wear and tear that have been put on the arm at a much younger age. I'd be curious to know how much and how often he played when he was 9-10 years old. I have no issue with year around baseball, but you cannot pitch year around. As a pitcher, you need an off season to rest your arm.

He's also like 5'9", 5'10" and this is why MLB scouts/teams want pitchers that are taller and bigger. The bigger pitchers tend to be more durable.

The Federalist Engineer
08-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Mystery of human body that you have power houses like Nolan Ryan that could chew innings forever and other delicate guys. Injury is probably some random factor like 0.001" difference in the cross section of cartilage or some proportionally small difference in the modulus of elasticity of some critical tissue.

Todd 4 State has me concerned that won't see Preston Brown back to the form he showed pre injury, any news?