PDA

View Full Version : Electricity at the tailgate...

Forrest4Moore
08-25-2014, 09:56 PM
In the past we have done the marine battery with a few inverters and it worked well. We finally bit the bullet and bought a 2000w generator this year. I need some of you electric guys to tell me what all I can run off the thing.

The following is what we have:
1 32" TV
1 Directv SD receiver
1 Crock Pot
1 Blender
2 Strings of rope lights

We will have enough gas for everything. That's not the issue. But how do we figure out what combination of things can run at once. I know we can't run it all at one time. But could the TV stay running while running a blender at the same time? That's really our only concern as we can plug and unplug the crock pot as we need more power for other things.

I know I could look this up but figured someone on here could provide an easier explanation on how to figure out the combination of items that can run at once.

Any additional advice is appreciated.

FlabLoser
08-25-2014, 10:26 PM
All those things you list should say how many watts they use. Should be written on the back somewhere. Add it all up and see if its less than the 2,000 your generator can produce.

Political Hack
08-26-2014, 06:22 AM
blender and crock pot will probably use more than the rest of those things combined.

DownwardDawg
08-26-2014, 06:53 AM
You are good for about 16 amps. The blender will use the most but I don't know how long the light strings are. I bet you can run everything all at once without any issues.

If the blender trips the breaker on the generator, turn off the crock pot while you blend. Those two together, along with everything else at the same time, would be the only issue. Flab pretty much nailed it though. Add up all the wattages for each appliance and divide by 120. That will give you the allowable amperage.

archdog
08-26-2014, 07:40 AM
SD receiver?

DownwardDawg
08-26-2014, 07:43 AM
SD receiver?

I guessed he just meant the satellite box. Maybe HD receiver?