PDA

View Full Version : soooo, an "off season thread"....

TUSK
08-25-2014, 07:19 PM
who was the most ridiculous, athletic football player you personally knew/went to school with?

for me, it was Keith McCants... we were more than "quasi-friends" that lived next door to one another, both dated chicks that played volley ball on the same team and had a class together...

this rat bastard was every bit of 6-5, 255.... and could run like a freakin' deer...

he was also on 30 for 30 "Broke".... so sad...

dig tha speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnRJWAkd8aQ

I was at this (first) Iron Bowl in Auburn....

War Machine Dawg
08-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Damn, I have to pick just one? Chris Young, former Vandy WR. Eddie "The Professor" Strong. Chris Herring - too bad he was soft, he had skill.

Crystal Balls
08-25-2014, 07:27 PM
I was in school with Romaro Miller. Hated to see him play for the Black bears but he was one hell of a High School QB.

TUSK
08-25-2014, 07:33 PM
I was in school with Romaro Miller. Hated to see him play for the Black bears but he was one hell of a High School QB.

I was in Oxford for an AU/UM game when Wingnuts was at AU and RO was still at UM...

reporter: "Coach Tuberville, why did you have an 4 yard split between your DLs?"

Wingnut: "well, RO couldn't figure it out when i was there; i just figured he still couldn't."

paraphrased, of course....

Coach34
08-25-2014, 07:45 PM
a guy named Butch Hesselman from Butler, Al...played HB in the Wishbone at Patrician Academy at 6'2, 225. Committed to Auburn. He was the best white RB I've ever seen, let alone played against. Scored 5 TD's against us in the season finale rivalry game.

Lost in the state title game on a Friday nite...died in drunk-driving accident one week later along with two teammates.

Mjoelner34
08-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Fred and Steve McNair.

I was older than both but got to play baseball with Fred when I was a senior. He was in the 9th grade.

The last time we played USM up here I happened to run into 3 of my friends from back home (dressed in black and gold LOL) on the way out of the stadium. Yeah, they hated seeing me come up behind them that night. One of them was student teaching and coaching back at Mt. Olive and told me "If you thought Freddie was good, you ought to see his little brother Steve! I've never seen anything like him and all the damn coach wants to do is run handoffs up the gut!" Kind of shows you why he was an all-state safety and not an all-state qb. The coach didn't recognize what he had.

Tbonewannabe
08-25-2014, 07:54 PM
I struck out on 4 pitches against Van Johnson. I felt pretty good for fouling one off. He threw a 1 hit shut out.

NBdawg17
08-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Damn, I have to pick just one? Chris Young, former Vandy WR. Eddie "The Professor" Strong. Chris Herring - too bad he was soft, he had skill.

WMD I assume we probably know each other. I played and graduated with Eddie, Toward Sanford and those guys.

BrunswickDawg
08-25-2014, 08:11 PM
All the freak athletes I knew wound up in jail (that's Metro ATL public school for you!), but I did graduate with Eric Zeier, QB for UGA in the early 90s. HS and college All-American - but was a helluva baseball player. Hit .500 our JR year in toughest region in Ga. Was SS and pitcher for us.

Reason2succeed
08-25-2014, 09:19 PM
I went to elementary and jr high with Rushan Jones who played CB for Vandy and went to the Viking I believe. I went to high school with Al Wilson the MLB for TN's NC run that derailed State's SEC Championship in 98. He went on to play for the Broncos. I played along with Wilson***(as in he played FB and I played in the band.)

mstatefan91
08-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Romero Osby

Wish he had stayed with the Maroon and White. Remember walking down the halls and you always knew it was Osby because he had 6 inches on just about everybody.
Messing around with him in the school gym one day after soccer practice taught me really quick that I had no business ever trying to actually play basketball. lol

breazy
08-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Played HS football with Jerious Norwood. Knew he was special when he was in 8th grade.

sleepy dawg
08-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Anthony Dixon at Terry HS

bgover4
08-26-2014, 07:30 AM
I was in HS with Jayson Swain, He was a WR for UT. Hell of an athlete, could have been all SEC and in the pros but had no heart or work ethic.

BulldogBear
08-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Darren Clark was my HS QB

08-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Kenzaki Jones

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c71692/media/image/200909/phpEDBH5pDawg_Pound_Rock.jpg

quickstrike2
08-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Played against Stevan Ridley in baskeball and football. He was all over the place in football, playing several different positions. He was a very solid basketball player as well. It's been interesting watching his progression all the way to the NFL.

rabbitthedawg
08-26-2014, 08:57 AM
I'm older than most, but played against Marcus Rhoden in Florida where I grew up. I was defensive end and Marcus was running back from Boone High School in Orlando. I've never ben hit that hard and run over like that. Couldn't believe the Gators didn't offer.

HancockCountyDog
08-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Terrance Goff. Only two time Dandy Dozen player in Mississippi high school history.

Im convinced he was 20+ as a senior. My nephew played against him and I thought he was going to be the greatest running back to ever come out of the coast after his sophomore year. He was ridiculous.

Tbonewannabe
08-26-2014, 11:48 AM
My buddy got run over by Kieffer McGee. He said most of the night he was just running around people like a video game but he actually got in front of him and got trucked. I can't remember if he made the tackle but if he did it was from Kieffer tripping on his facemask.

Westdawg
08-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Conner Stephens when he was at Ackerman and Dicenzo Miller when he was at Weir. Men amongst boys.
Honorable mention is Shane Brassell, pitcher at New Hope.

tcdog70
08-26-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm older than most, but played against Marcus Rhoden in Florida where I grew up. I was defensive end and Marcus was running back from Boone High School in Orlando. I've never ben hit that hard and run over like that. Couldn't believe the Gators didn't offer.

Rhoden, was a fast dude, one of MSU best ever

tcdog70
08-26-2014, 07:14 PM
My buddy got run over by Kieffer McGee. He said most of the night he was just running around people like a video game but he actually got in front of him and got trucked. I can't remember if he made the tackle but if he did it was from Kieffer tripping on his facemask.

I refereed several of His games. He was one of the best HS players I saw in my 25 years. Right up there with Marcus Dupree, and Bufurd McGee . Also Freddie Joe Nunn and Omarr Connor.

bullygrowl
08-26-2014, 07:40 PM
He was our first baseman, either struck out or hit a homer it seemed. I remember one game either at Amory or Shannon, when the football field met up with the baseball field. He hit a home run that the ball boy picked up at the 50 yard line of the football field, just stupid. He went on to play OL for Auburn and then the Steelers for several years.

IMissJack
08-26-2014, 09:14 PM
I had a cousin that played on Ridley's team in Natchez.

hailmari
08-26-2014, 09:30 PM
A guy named Lamar Sanders is the only guy from my area to go on and play at a university (Lamar). He's playing pro ball overseas in some country I can't even pronounce. Got looks from OM and FSU at one point, but I guess the small time high school ball held him back. He definitely didn't fit the typical north MS 1A high school stereotype.

Natedogg33
08-26-2014, 10:20 PM
The best football player I played with would be Kendrick Hollins. He was a great running back. Not sure why he didn't get recruited harder. The way I understand it, broke his neck the first game he played at Holmes CC. Didn't play after that.
I played with guys that played a while, but he was the best.
Eddie Strong dang near decapitated me on a blind side block on the sideline. Think I landed on the track. Freddie Milons was a hard little cat to catch, also.

Barking 13
08-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Leslie Frazier