PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Prep player has passed away

RossDawg82
08-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Horrible news

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Aww man, that is tragic. I feel so bad for his family.

FlabLoser
08-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Hate to hear that.

The public needs to know what triggered his condition. Hydration? Overheating? Concussion? Pre-existing condition?

civildawg
08-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Was it a football related injury? I've been out of the loop

RossDawg82
08-25-2014, 03:57 PM
I have heard it was over hydration. I did not know that existed, but apparently water poisoning is real.

fishwater99
08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
I have heard it was over hydration. I did not know that existed, but apparently water poisoning is real.

I heard the same thing yesterday.. Tragic..

Miss. Stake
08-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Awful Awful news. I do hope they release detailed information of everything that happened. Hopefully it could save someone in the future.

curmudgeon
08-25-2014, 04:29 PM
He chugged three pedialytes before the game. You are about to hear of the dangers of too many electrolytes.

Here's a story from a Georgia high schooler that died in similar fashion.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia-news/georgia-high-school-athlete-dies-from-apparent-overhydration/27420382

LC Dawg
08-25-2014, 04:31 PM
I hate that for his family. As a parent I can't imagine anything worse. My brother knows Coach Black and thinks a lot of him. It's going to be a tough year for Prep. They'll need a lot of prayers.

Liverpooldawg
08-25-2014, 04:34 PM
It is very much real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Bully13
08-25-2014, 04:59 PM
It is very much real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

If I'm reading this right, it seems to be saying excessive water drinking without some Gatorade or other sports drink can be dangerous. Anybody else with more knowledge on this who could give more info would be greatly appreciated.

Awful story. Just damn.

Coach34
08-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Terrible news

Cant imagine having to handle this as a coach

Dawgface
08-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Wow. I hate to hear that. He thought he was doing some prudent hydration when in fact he over did it. Really a shame.

chef dixon
08-25-2014, 05:28 PM
If I'm reading this right, it seems to be saying excessive water drinking without some Gatorade or other sports drink can be dangerous. Anybody else with more knowledge on this who could give more info would be greatly appreciated.

Awful story. Just damn.

Not sure if this is what happened to this young man, but if you drink water without any electrolytes in it your blood will become diluted and water tends to move towards electrolytes. Therefore, it shifts to the tissues to equilibrate, such as the brain which leads to swelling inside the skull (which is not forgiving). As you can imagine this can lead to a number of devastating neurologic effects. This in simplest terms, but keep in mind you have to drink a huge amount of water to overcome your body's regulating mechanisms which makes me think this situation was a combination of different factors.

Westdawg
08-25-2014, 05:42 PM
I am very close friends with his youth minister .....it has hit a ton of kids very hard at the school and church
When it comes to hydration, you have a multi-headed beast that can hit you at all extremes:
Dehydration
Over-hydration with water that affect your tissues swelling, particularly the brain
Over-hydrated via electrolyte loaded fluids which unbalance your body and can cause medical issues with your heart

Bucky Dog
08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
I knew his dad growing up. Got to be the worst to lose a child. Heard he had been drinking a lot of Pedialyte lately.

FlabLoser
08-25-2014, 06:02 PM
I knew a guy training for a marathon that over-hydrated. Too much water and not enough electrolytes. He made it through OK. Probably wouldn't have had a problem if he kept up on electrolytes. Sweating so much and not replacing the electrolytes is bad.

Dawgcentral
08-25-2014, 06:15 PM
I went to high school with the young man's mom. Terrific family, and they're devastated to say the least. I can only imagine the pain right now.

They've asked folks to give them some space for now. Lots of well intentioned people crowding them I guess. They need some time to get through this shock I'm sure.

Political Hack
08-25-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm absolutely floored every time I hear of someone losing a child. I hope there's some peace and comfort his family can find. I can't imagine anything harder than what they're going through.

whosyourdawgy
08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
Several tweets from Riley Blevins quoting the doc saying it was not an over hydration event. It was a fluke and freak event that could not have been avoided.

@Riley_Blevins: Walker Wilbanks' UMMC physician said the official cause of death is brain swelling due to a shift of water into the brain tissue.

KB21
08-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Several tweets from Riley Blevins quoting the doc saying it was not an over hydration event. It was a fluke and freak event that could not have been avoided.

@Riley_Blevins: Walker Wilbanks' UMMC physician said the official cause of death is brain swelling due to a shift of water into the brain tissue.

Sounds like he may have developed central pontine myelinolysis, which happens if you increase your sodium level too much when you are hyponatremic.

C_Rich22
08-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Hyponatremia deals with a low extra cellular Na concentration. When you sweat out sodium and only drink water, this could cause Hyponatremia granted this condition is very rare and requires drinking large quantities of water. Then water will leave the bloodstream and move into the tissues, causing brain-swelling, In this case being fatal. Very unfortunate situation for the prep/Jackson area. Gotta be tough for the kids

PassInterference
08-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Doctors are saying Prep did everything right for this kid and it was just a freak thing. I assume that means he was drinking his electrolytes. Maybe his body wasn't absorbing them fast enough.

I'm curious to know what kind of gadget MSU's nutrition people are using to measure our guys' hydration and whether or not it also measures electrolytes. It would be GREAT if there were some breathalyzer type thing that could quickly & easily measure hydration & electrolytes. Imagine that being used in high schools everywhere on a daily basis before & after practice. Then maybe everybody could be healthy, safe, and we wouldn't need water break timeouts.

08-26-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm curious to know what kind of gadget MSU's nutrition people are using to measure our guys' hydration and whether or not it also measures electrolytes.

Read more here: http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/day-in-the-life-a-fall-camp-friday-with-msu-strength-coach-rick-court/

Before and after practice, every player is required to take the test. It’s pretty simple. At a table in the locker room, one of the strength coaches has a machine that checks hydration levels in a matter of seconds. You get one of three colored magnets next to your name on a board depending on the results: green for perfectly hydrated, yellow for slightly dehydrated and red to signify that you are in the danger zone.

FlabLoser
08-28-2014, 09:38 AM
From tragedy comes blessings.

Walker's organs were donated. Four lives have been saved and a blind person has been given sight. His heart, lungs, liver, pancreas and corneas were transplanted to other patients.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/26382809/walker-wilbanks-saves-lives

Jack Lambert
08-28-2014, 10:39 AM
From tragedy comes blessings.

pancreas.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/26382809/walker-wilbanks-saves-lives

That's possible?

FlabLoser
08-28-2014, 10:40 AM
That's possible?

Jackson area media said it. It must be true.**

Jack Lambert
08-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Jackson area media said it. It must be true.**

I wasn't calling you out on it. I hope it's true.

AFDawg
08-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Wikipedia says it can be done.

Todd4State
08-28-2014, 12:52 PM
I wasn't calling you out on it. I hope it's true.

We have a transplant surgeon at UMC that does do pancreas transplants. According to him, they don't do them very often because they are hard to find and the success rate isn't very good.

UMC is one of the few places that does do pancreas transplants.