PDA

View Full Version : USM coaches and players talkin a little big...

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 01:19 PM
In the presser today. I don't have a link, but would like someone to post one. I saw several quotes on twitter about how Monken and company said "MSU's D doesn't scare us". Now, I'm not saying he should have said it did scare them....but why give bulletin board material to a team that is going to crush you?

engie
08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Love it!

They are diminishing the already minuscule possibility that we are going to come out flat...

SDDawg
08-25-2014, 01:35 PM
As long as someone puts Price on his butt I'll be happy. :)

Jack Lambert
08-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Coaches talk. I like it.

deltadawg99
08-25-2014, 01:42 PM
I wonder if Norman Price and his girlfriend are still together.

I have a feeling he is going to get hear about that all game long from our d line.

Statefan
08-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Just saw a tweet:

"@loganlowery: Mullen says past in-state games against Alcorn St., Jackson St. will help his team prepare for the USM game."

Dawgface
08-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Just saw a tweet:

"@loganlowery: Mullen says past in-state games against Alcorn St., Jackson St. will help his team prepare for the USM game."
Lol. Hopefully the results will be the same.

mstatefan91
08-25-2014, 02:11 PM
It's gonna be a joke. I'm sorry but you don't go from 1-23 to beating a good SEC team in one off season.

Consider that we put a world of hurt on their conference champions and you will see just how ridiculous it is to think USM has any real chance

starkvegasdawg
08-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Five more days until the executioner comes down from the gallows and says, "It's time."

drunkernhelldawg
08-25-2014, 02:20 PM
It's gonna be a joke. I'm sorry but you don't go from 1-23 to beating a good SEC team in one off season.

Consider that we put a world of hurt on their conference champions and you will see just how ridiculous it is to think USM has any real chance

The thing is that football is almost defined by less talented teams challenging and beating more talented teams. Here are the two basic facts that make this true:

1. Eleven guys have to play together. Football is the ultimate teams sport. A coupla' head cases can even things in a hurry.

2. Pointy ended ball. The bounces don't always make sense. The final score counts whether it makes sense or not.

BeardoMSU
08-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Uh....Bold strategy, Cotton. The pain is most certainly coming, and coming quick, USM.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4pd9vPfLI1qzweq9o1_500.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ac8db1f73ccfdad7123bf25562f26b46/tumblr_minv1fqA9s1r5siljo2_500.gif

mstatefan91
08-25-2014, 02:25 PM
The thing is that football is almost defined by less talented teams challenging and beating more talented teams. Here are the two basic facts that make this true:

1. Eleven guys have to play together. Football is the ultimate teams sport. A coupla' head cases can even things in a hurry.

2. Pointy ended ball. The bounces don't always make sense. The final score counts whether it makes sense or not.

Correct but to actually worry about a team that can't even win in their sub-par conference is asinine. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for USM to beat us. It certainly is given the right conditions and freak plays. However, MSU should win this match up 999/1000 times. I like the odds

Don't forget that we are going to be 61000+ strong in the stands and the players will be itching to get this show on the road. If this was a mid-season game and USM had gotten a few wins then I'd be a little more concerned

drunkernhelldawg
08-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Correct but to actually worry about a team that can't even win in their sub-par conference is asinine. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for USM to beat us. It certainly is given the right conditions and freak plays. However, MSU should win this match up 999/1000 times. I like the odds

Don't forget that we are going to be 61000+ strong in the stands and the players will be itching to get this show on the road. If this was a mid-season game and USM had gotten a few wins then I'd be a little more concerned

Not actually worried about it, but objectively, we haven't actually seen either team play yet. You can project based on previous seasons, but every season and every team is a brand new deal. The other thing that's almost always true is that bad teams get better and good teams often regress.

codeDawg
08-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Just saw a tweet:

I would have been rolling if I was in the press room for that one. Hilarious.

defiantdog
08-25-2014, 02:35 PM
What a weird debate.... our guys are bigger and faster than USM at every position. This isn't USM of 20 years ago. If ya'll are seriously worried about USM, then I'm not even gonna check this board out during LSU and Alabama week. Expect a bubble screen offense for USM with minimal running. They may drive down the field at times but 1 - 23 teams make mistakes. This should be good for our redshirts to get valuable experience. I'm ready to see D Harris and Irvin-Sills out there on defense, as well as seeing Shump and Ross on offense.

mstatefan91
08-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Not actually worried about it, but objectively, we haven't actually seen either team play yet. You can project based on previous seasons, but every season and every team is a brand new deal. The other thing that's almost always true is that bad teams get better and good teams often regress.

Good thing we were in the middle last season. lol

(maybe a good thing...)

deltadawg99
08-25-2014, 03:36 PM
We need to put the game away early. Games like this always make me a little nervous because they don't have anything to lose. If you let a team with nothing to lose hang around they can be dangerous.

I hope we see a lot of 2nd and 3rd string guys in the second half.

maroonmania
08-25-2014, 03:45 PM
As long as someone puts Price on his butt I'll be happy. :)

Probably not going to happen since Price hasn't even cracked the USM starting lineup (currently behind a RSFr at OT). I personally don't think we lost much when we didn't end up signing that guy.

RiverCityDawg
08-25-2014, 04:24 PM
The other thing that's almost always true is that bad teams get better and good teams often regress.

What a load of crap. How is that "almost always true"? How are "good" and "bad" defined in this almost always true statement of yours? How would you even measure that? That's one of the biggest "out of the ass" statements I've read on here in a while, not to meantion the fact it doesn't support the argument that you seem to be making which is that USM actually has a chance against us.

drunkernhelldawg
08-25-2014, 04:48 PM
What a load of crap. How is that "almost always true"? How are "good" and "bad" defined in this almost always true statement of yours? How would you even measure that? That's one of the biggest "out of the ass" statements I've read on here in a while, not to meantion the fact it doesn't support the argument that you seem to be making which is that USM actually has a chance against us.

I'm not making any argument. I've been a football fan for a long time, and I've seen a lot of teams lose that were supposed to easily win. I'm surprised that more of my fellow fans don't remember this happening. If I were making an argument, it would be that we have little to gain and much to lose by playing them. I would argue against playing them at all. Too late for that now, so I hope we're ready to play.

I

DudyDawg
08-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Well we do have the whole bowl game eligibility thing to go for. I guess that's something to gain by playing teams like them. I suppose you think we should play top ten teams weekly as they would give us "something to gain"

Dawgcentral
08-25-2014, 07:09 PM
I expect USM to attempt to play the game of their lives. I think they'll pull out all the stops. And I think they'll fail miserably.

We'll beat them by 24 and we'll play everybody we want to get snaps.

ebdawg
08-25-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm glad USM is talking this game up. It's actually firing up their 2 fans that work with me. It is so funny to hear them say how the game is going to be close. Etc...
It's just going to make Monday that much more fun for me.
Maybe USM will be better this year, but they won't be anywhere close to being better than us.
I think we will be resting all our starters by half.

War Machine Dawg
08-25-2014, 07:31 PM
I expect USM to attempt to play the game of their lives. I think they'll pull out all the stops. And I think they'll fail miserably.

We'll beat them by 24 and we'll play everybody we want to get snaps.

Exactly. This is their Super Bowl, and they WILL play like it. But it won't be anywhere near enough. No way in hell Mullen is going to let us overlook an in-state opponent, especially not in the first game in the newly expanded stadium. It's going to be a good ol' SEC take 'em out behind the woodshed, bend 'em over the knee, and go to town buttwhooping on Saturday night.