PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 SEC Game Questions

BeastMan
08-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Wanted to see what everyone thinks on these games we have on the slate this weekend. I wrote a quick hit game by game preview that's worth checking out but wanted to cover some of the questions here and see what everyone thinks.

http://3rdand57.com/week-1-sec-preview/

#21 Texas A&M at #9 South Carolina
How will A&M replace Manziel on offense? Mike Davis vs the SEC's worst rush defense in 2013. Will this one be close in Columbia?

Boise State at #18 Ole Miss
The Broncos return a senior QB, a 1400 yards rusher, and a WR duo that put up monster numbers last year. This may not be BSU of old but they are dangerous. Treawell put up some poster board material yesterday. Will this one even be close or will SEC talent be too much?

Temple at Vandy
Seems like a snoozer. The Owls were horrible in 2013. If Vandy doesn't score a bunch of points, I'll really start questioning the new offensive system b/c Franklin would have hung 40+ on the Owls.

UT Martin at Kentucky
Another snooze fest but we get our first look at lil Favre. We'll see them later on...

South Dakota State at #24 Mizzou
SDSU doesn't stand a chance but I think Mizzou is highly overrated and this game will do nothing to change that national perception. IS Mizzou really a top 25 team?

West Virginia at #2 Alabama
Don't know if most SEC fans realize this but WVU is horrible now. They went 4-8 last year and are being projected to go 3-9 by Athlon. 21-0 by the end of the first quarter?

Arkansas at #6 Auburn
2 of the best rushing offenses in the SEC in 2013. I definetely think Auburn is the better team but why do I have a sneeky suspicion that Arky makes it a better game than everyone thinks? Anybody else getting that vibe?

#16 Clemson at #12 Georgia
A classic game of strength on weakness. Will UGA be able to stop the pass? No. Will Clemson be able to stop the run? No. Will this one come down to turnovers?

Idaho at Florida
The Vandals will make a strong case for being the worst team in football. Dead Serious. Does the new HUNH impress at Florida or does Driskell remain pretty average?

USM at MSU
Why do some think this game will be close. MSU wiped the floor with the CUSA champions and USM was the worst in that league. Well, maybe it's just OM fans that think it will be closer than most think.

#14 Wisconsin at #13 LSU
Anyone ready for a throwback game? The Badgers are one of CFB's elite running the ball and LSU has a freshman phenom. Badgers have a senior QB. Who will be able to pass the ball? On paper says it will be close but my gut says LSU runs away? Thoughts?

Utah State at Tennessee
The Aggies have won 20 games the last 2 years. Great program. A lot of folks thinking UT will struggle with new OL and DL this year. Many believe this will be a fairly tough game for the Vols. I just don't see it even though I like USU a lot in their league.

Weigh in folks. What are some thoughts on these games? It's a great opening week of CFB and the SEC in particular.

FlabLoser
08-25-2014, 10:34 AM
aTm - USCE: SC wins easy. But aTm's QB is going to show some flash. Why? Because Sumlin. But overall, we'll see just how bogus preseason polls are.

Blue State - OM: I think line is about right. BSU has a chance. BSU may win, but probably won't.

Auburn will destroy Arkansas.

LSU - Wiscahnsin: Look forward to seeing what LSU's got. Although like always, LSU will be a slow starter. They need a half season to get up to LSU speed. I assume what we'll see out of LSU is 70% of how good they'll really be. I'll watch this one for sure right after our game.

We're going to toy with USM for a half, then play our scrubs.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Good stuff, BeastMan.

I think Arkie keeps it close for a half, but Auburn pulls away late and wins by 17-21

I think A&M will show flashes on offense, but Carolina will score at will. USC by 2 TD's

Ole Miss will control Boise's offense, and I think the Bears score a few late Homeruns to make it look worse than it is. 38-17-ish?

We roll. I think we only win by 25-28...but it will look worse

chainedup_Dawg
08-25-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm more interested in the GA-Clem and LSU-WI games than any others. Although, I think the ATM and SC will be closer than most think. I think ATM is wanting to prove they're more than Manziel, Evans & Co. and SC has a tendency to play like shit the first game of the year. I expect the first half to be close and SC top pull away mid to late 3rd qtr.

MetEdDawg
08-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I think people need to watch the Arkansas Auburn game. They will be surprised. 2nd year under Beilema and I think they will surprise people in this game. Auburn has always struggled with Arkansas in the past and with it being the first game I don't expect Auburn to be full throttle yet and I think they will initially struggle. They still have some position battles to fight out still and are doing some reshuffling of personnel. Montravious Adams is going to move from DT to DE so I will be interested to see if he makes an impact there.

BiscuitEater
08-25-2014, 01:41 PM
and some good points mentioned.

One small correction about USM ...

You wrote ..."The Golden Eagles are coming off their worst season in school history where they finished 1-11 and were 119th nationally in scoring defense and scoring offense."

Actually, 2012 was the 'worst in school history,' 0-12, under Ellis Johnson.

Don't usually have much heartburn when a coach leaves State for a better position. It's part of the game. But, EJ leaving for 'family' reasons only to backout and go to USCe for a 'better offer' always rubbed the wrong way. Major reason to beat Auburn in my book.

Jack Lambert
08-25-2014, 01:49 PM
I predict this.

Teams that lose this weekend from the SEC.
Arkansas
A&M
LSU
Georgia

Close games but wins
Alabama
Ole Miss
Vandy
Tenn

Not Blow out but not close
Auburn
SC

Blow outs wins
Mizzou
MSU
Florida
KY

LC Dawg
08-25-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm glad we get to find our early how good A&M is without Manziel.

I think Georgia-Clemson will be the best of all these games and should be very fun to watch.

I don't know why but I just don't think LSU has much trouble with Wisconsin.