PDA

View Full Version : Do we cover the 31 points vs the Buzzards?

fishwater99
08-25-2014, 08:39 AM

TheRef
08-25-2014, 08:40 AM
I say we cover 31 points at halftime.

The Croom Diaries
08-25-2014, 08:45 AM
52-10 (if we can make the field goal).

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Their passing game will be decent, but they don't have experienced players that know how to make a big play under pressure. I think they will get in the red zone a few times but have to settle for FG's, and may score 1 TD. I feel like Mullen will take his foot off the gas if we get up 31-0 or so in the 3rd quarter....so I say 41-13 Final (no cover).

Jacksondevildog
08-25-2014, 08:49 AM
That's a hell of a lot of points.

MSU 38
USM 13

Reason2succeed
08-25-2014, 08:50 AM
With two defensive scores yes. 47-10

Irondawg
08-25-2014, 08:51 AM
unless they found a way to deveop some guys rapidly we will score at will. This will sound odd by I expect Holloway to actually have a big game. Last year their LB's were extremely slow so he should find space pretty easy on the sweeps and the practice reports of him have been pretty good. So he's my darkhorse to have a big offensive game for us.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 08:51 AM
The best bet is to bet that we don't cover, and then you win either way. Beating USM by 50 takes the sting out of losing a $50 bet (unless you're betting like $10,000....which I strongly suggest you don't do on this spread)

maroonmania
08-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Their passing game will be decent, but they don't have experienced players that know how to make a big play under pressure. I think they will get in the red zone a few times but have to settle for FG's, and may score 1 TD. I feel like Mullen will take his foot off the gas if we get up 31-0 or so in the 3rd quarter....so I say 41-13 Final (no cover).

To be honest, if USM scores in double digits before its mop up time I will be disappointed in our defense unless our offense just turns the ball over and sets up an score for them.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 08:53 AM
unless they found a way to deveop some guys rapidly we will score at will. This will sound odd by I expect Holloway to actually have a big game. Last year their LB's were extremely slow so he should find space pretty easy on the sweeps and the practice reports of him have been pretty good. So he's my darkhorse to have a big offensive game for us.

Nice prediction, Iron...I like it.

However, if Holloway goes off in that game, prepare yourselves for him to get way more carries than he should against SEC teams.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 08:56 AM
To be honest, if USM scores in double digits before its mop up time I will be disappointed in our defense unless our offense just turns the ball over and sets up an score for them.

Jackson state and Alcorn have scored TD's against some of our really good defenses in recent years....so I think you're being a little unrealistic. Mullen(s) was Alabama player of the year or something like that, and we were hard after T-Man Holmes for a while at WR. They also have a few other good WR's including the Thompson kid from Pearl that was on our board as a next best available type guy. Monken is known for his offense, so I truly hope our entire fanbase doesn't think like you do and expect a 50-0 shutout. This USM team will not beat us, and won't even keep it close...but they Will move the ball some. They just don't have a OL, so they will not be able to run the ball or protect the QB.

Or at least, that's my opinion anyway.

Liverpooldawg
08-25-2014, 09:07 AM
This game will be closer than most think. Never underestimate emotion. We will win, but the margin very well may make many unhappy. Just beat them, that's all I care about.

CottonDog
08-25-2014, 09:11 AM

Does a bear crap in the grove?

Political Hack
08-25-2014, 09:12 AM
I think well likely score on defense or ST too. This is the best group of athletes ever assembled in maroon and white, and USM is porous right now. Couldn't be worse timing for them. They were a legit program a few short years ago, but they've fallen on hard times (just like state 6-10 years ago).

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 09:15 AM
The only thing I hate about this game, is that USM will take a moral victory even if they just cover the 30. They still have a percentage of their 10, that believes they will surprise us because they used to beat us back in the day. I want to end that line of thinking....I want us to 63-0 their asses, as unrealistic as that probably is. We need to take them to the damn woodshed

Political Hack
08-25-2014, 09:16 AM
31-3 at half.

sleepy dawg
08-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I don't think we'll cover because I don't think we'll be trying to cover. I expect to see a lot of rotations, and a lot of young guys getting a lot of playing time. I also expect that we are rotating and playing young (or inexperienced) guys early. I don't think Mullen will wait until we're up 50 to do that. We'll be rotating guys at all positions in the first quarter.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 09:20 AM
31-3 at half.

If so, I'll have to run to Wal Mart and buy as many pairs of shears as possible, and drop them off at the stadium. I'd love to see this team come out and punch USM in the mouth and step on the throat. We have so much depth, that we should be able to keep the motor running full throttle for 4 quarters every week this season. No prevent, and no taking the foot off the gas....especially against SEC teams, and an in state team like USM.

MarketingBully01
08-25-2014, 09:28 AM
This game will be closer than most think. Never underestimate emotion. We will win, but the margin very well may make many unhappy. Just beat them, that's all I care about.

Why do you think this? I mean what statistic or anything do you have to back up your opinion? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything. I guess our program sucked so much in the past that a lot of the older fans feel too snake bit to even hold out hope that we will be an awesome football team this year. Well guys, teams that have championship football teams have leaders depth and talent like ours does. We will cover against USM. We will win 49-7 or something like that. It will really depend on Mullen and how much he wants to run up the score or if they can stop us at all. This is our best defense and offense Mullen has had since he has been here. We might start out a little slow like the Liberty Bowl since it's our first game but the result will be about the same (49 or 56-7).

Also Cadaver, we beat Alcorn State and Troy 51-7 and 62-7 respectively so we can almost shut teams out and I am thinking USM only scores around 7 or so as well.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Why do you think this? I mean what statistic or anything do you have to back up your opinion? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything. I guess our program sucked so much in the past that a lot of the older fans feel too snake bit to even hold out hope that we will be an awesome football team this year. Well guys, teams that have championship football teams have leaders depth and talent like ours does. We will cover against USM. We will win 49-7 or something like that. It will really depend on Mullen and how much he wants to run up the score or if they can stop us at all. This is our best defense and offense Mullen has had since he has been here. We might start out a little slow like the Liberty Bowl since it's our first game but the result will be about the same (49 or 56-7).

Also Cadaver, we beat Alcorn State and Troy 51-7 and 62-7 respectively so we can almost shut teams out and I am thinking USM only scores around 7 or so as well.

I didn't say we couldn't "almost shut teams out"...I said it doesn't mean we have problems if USM scores 13-14 points. And I used the fact that SWAC teams typically score at least 1 TD on us...so it's not stretching it a bit to think USM could score 1 or 2 and maybe a FG

MarketingBully01
08-25-2014, 09:42 AM
I didn't say we couldn't "almost shut teams out"...I said it doesn't mean we have problems if USM scores 13-14 points. And I used the fact that SWAC teams typically score at least 1 TD on us...so it's not stretching it a bit to think USM could score 1 or 2 and maybe a FG

I think if they do score it probably would be early like the Troy and Rice games. If this game follows suit with those two games, they may be so demoralized they won't be able to punch it in late. That is why I am sticking to 7. Your points are valid too but either way 7 is what I am seeing with a maximum we allow of 13 to your point.

Eric Nies Grind Time
08-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Yes...easily. It will be 28-0 by the end of the first quarter.

YoungB
08-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Reminder...(2013) Pts scores scored by Southern Miss against

Texas State - 15
Nebraska - 13
Arkansas - 3
Boise State - 7
East Carolina - 14
North Texas - 14
Marshal - 13
Florida Int - 7

If they score more than 15 on us its a bad sign.

So the question is can we score > 46. I say yes.

YoungB

Dogchomp
08-25-2014, 10:55 AM
"Yes" is the correct and only acceptable answer. UNLESS, both teams come to an agreement to forfeit the game once they witness both Jumbotrons repeatedly show that car salesman ad where both the man and woman each have more hand movement than Michael J. Fox. They're so aggressive with those hand motions amirite??

headcoach98
08-25-2014, 11:01 AM
We definitely cover

preachermatt83
08-25-2014, 11:39 AM
42-13... no cover

drunkernhelldawg
08-25-2014, 11:54 AM
The biggest gamble is the first game of the season before anyone has seen the teams play. My prediction for the theme of the first college football Saturday of this and any season: upsets.

starkvegasdawg
08-25-2014, 11:59 AM
I think we cover if we want to. The only question is whether or not Mullen wants to embarrass an in state school not named TSUN...especially when we have to go down there next year.

drunkernhelldawg
08-25-2014, 12:01 PM
The only thing I hate about this game, is that USM will take a moral victory even if they just cover the 30. They still have a percentage of their 10, that believes they will surprise us because they used to beat us back in the day. I want to end that line of thinking....I want us to 63-0 their asses, as unrealistic as that probably is. We need to take them to the damn woodshed

I still don't understand why we have agreed to play them. We have nothing to gain from this game. We have a lot to lose. Even if we win 99-0, we have still elevated their program. I don't mind them doing well; I'd just prefer they do it vs. some other team. For this particular game, I think USM could also score on defense. I do think we'll win, but I'll be glad to have it in the books.

Dawg496
08-25-2014, 12:07 PM
It will help gain political favor with our Governor, I'd imagine. No harm in playing them. I bet we buy our away game out next year, though. At least I hope we do.

ScoobaDawg
08-25-2014, 12:18 PM
42-13... no cover

This is why I wouldn't touch that spread. Say we get up 31-3 at halftime and dan pulls all the first string. Can our 2nd string still score? Yes... but Dan has never been Urban and wont pour the points on (or hasnt in the past) and thus a late TD and a fg and there goes your bet. Back door covers happen way too often in 30+ pt spreads.

But its called gambling for a reason... maybe dan wants the respect this year and will keep his foot on the gas to get Dak some national attention with stats. or maybe we decide to dominate them purely because its an instate team (they arent a rival...) to start the year..

HailState39110
08-25-2014, 01:51 PM
USM has 2 good quality WR in Markese Triplett and Tyre'oune Holmes (we offered both of them) . Triplett is the long ball threat and Holmes catches the short routes. They also signed JUCO Norman Price last year from Hinds CC . Kendrick Hardy carried the load at RB for them and he is gone . I think their offense will be better , but their defense was awful last year giving up 35+ points in 8 games. Monken kicked off starting CB Ed Wilkins in the offseason for armed robbery .

MSU 45
USM 20

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 01:55 PM
USM has 2 good quality WR in Markese Triplett and Tyre'oune Holmes (we offered both of them) . Triplett is the long ball threat and Holmes catches the short routes. They also signed JUCO Norman Price last year from Hinds CC . Kendrick Hardy carried the load at RB for them and he is gone . I think their offense will be better , but their defense was awful last year giving up 35+ points in 8 games. Monken kicked off starting CB Ed Wilkins in the offseason for armed robbery .

MSU 45
USM 20

Did something happen to TMan Holmes? He is not even listed on the 2 deep for USM, and they list 4 WR's (so 8 guys on the 2 deep at WR)

Jack Lambert
08-25-2014, 02:04 PM
We can but I don't think Mullen will. I hope it is spread out enough in 4th to allow our younger guys to get playing time and rest the starters.