PDA

View Full Version : My season prediction and final thoughts leading into the season...

CadaverDawg
08-24-2014, 11:21 PM
I have spent several hours (just like most of you) analyzing every position on our football team. And as many of you know, I am typically pretty realistic and sometimes even pessimistic about predicting our record. Last year, I predicted that we would go 6-6 with a win in a bowl game to go 7-6 on the year (yet I was still ready to fire Dan before the Arkansas game, oops).

So that being said, here are my thoughts on the season....take from it what you will.

Starting on defense, We are loaded from our DL to our Safeties. I truly feel like we will have the #1 defense in the league this year. Number One. We have broken this unit down until we're blue in the face, so I'm not gonna do it again.

Offensively, I think we are Top 5 in the league. Whether we are 1 or 5 will determine where we finish in the West. I think Josh Robinson goes completely off this year, and our WR corp is a sleeping giant. All of the talk Wilson and Lewis are getting is going to make it a huge surprise when Malcolm Johnson goes wild this season.

Now for the predictions:

USM - Win (41-13)

UAB - Win (38-7)

@South Alabama - Win (45-17) They have a pretty good QB

@LSU - Loss (21-20)

Texas A&M - Win (42-31)

Auburn - Win (28-24)

@Kentucky - Win (31-14)

Arkansas - Win (24-10)

UT Martin - Win (52-7)

@Alabama - Loss (24-17)

Vanderbilt - Win (38-16)

Ole Miss - Loss (27-23)

Final Record: 9-3 (5-3)

The only reason I have us at 9-3 instead of 10-2, is because if we are looking for our 10th win going into the Egg Bowl, Ole Miss will do everything short of Nancy Kerrigan'ing Dak's knee to win that game. It will take a truly amazing performance to beat their desperate asses if it comes to that.

But in all honesty, if our team is as hungry as I think they are....11-1 is not out of the question. I think we will beat Auburn at home, so if we beat LSU in Death Valley....watch out.

I have fully bought in to this team, but the pessimistic side of me still sees OM ruining a potential epic season if we get down to the final game with 9 wins. Here's to me being wrong about the Egg Bowl, and to our first 10 win regular season. HailState

Feel free to add your predictions, or comment on mine.

SDDawg
08-24-2014, 11:27 PM
17 OM. Other than that, I dig it.

maroonmania
08-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Guess we will just have to get our 10th win before we arrive in Oxford then.

War Machine Dawg
08-24-2014, 11:40 PM
F that, Cadaver. We're beating that ass in Oxford. Mark it down, put it in stone. Big Softie ain't holding up, the rest of the OL "starters" are questionable, and there's nothing behind them. We win by at least 2 TDs.

ShotgunDawg
08-24-2014, 11:51 PM
One of the hidden gems of our schedule this season, is that we have an off week after LSU.

On paper, some people may rather have our off week later in the season, but, in reality, after LSU is the perfect time because regardless of the outcome, we will need an off week.

With how much emotion we will play with in that game:

1. If we win, we will need an off week to regain energy and emotion

2. If we lose, we will need an off week to regain perspective and emotion.

Either way, having an off week after LSU is a positive IMO

Coach 57
08-25-2014, 05:01 AM
A couple of things. We will beat Auburn this year. I'm as confident about us beating them as I am about beating UM. Guys our defense did a better job defending them than any other team in CFB. Our defense is only going to be better. I distinctly remember Skinner's size in that game being a hinderence as he lacked the speed we needed to defend them on field side plays. He covered boundary side plays well as the gap was smaller but field side plays we struggled to defend. We went with smaller yet faster LBs more in that game. We won't have that issue this year. Dak will out shine Marshall in that game. It will be built up as Heisman shoot out. But look at how well Dan has done Vs Auburn in his tenure. Even Vs their NC teams.

We will beat UM in Oxford. How more "desperate" could they be than being the one reason we DO NOT make a bowl game PLUS defending a 3rd string high school kid at QB in the biggest game of his life? I know Williams was calm but that pressure was SO intense you couldn't cut it with a chainsaw. Barring an injury (big one) we will win 10-11 in the regular season and honestly have the potential to beat Bama & LSU too. I honestly think we win 11 unless we have a big injury.

BeastMan
08-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Good stuff Cadaver. Nobody wants MSU to beat OM as much as me but I picked that game the same as you. Traditionally, the only way the home team loses is if they are beyond pathetic. The home field is a huge deal.

Offshore Dawg
08-25-2014, 05:47 AM
One of the hidden gems of our schedule this season, is that we have an off week after LSU.

On paper, some people may rather have our off week later in the season, but, in reality, after LSU is the perfect time because regardless of the outcome, we will need an off week.

With how much emotion we will play with in that game:

1. If we win, we will need an off week to regain energy and emotion

2. If we lose, we will need an off week to regain perspective and emotion.

Either way, having an off week after LSU is a positive IMO

^^^^This is an outstanding point either way^^^^^^^

hailmari
08-25-2014, 06:54 AM
I believe!

thf24
08-25-2014, 07:26 AM
I would agree with a probable loss to OM if they are at full strength, but I just can't see them making it to the end of the season with their paper-thin OL intact. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I think it's a high probability that by that point Tunsil will have shut himself down over a broken nail or Aaron Morris will have collapsed under his own weight (exaggerations, but you get my point). If they're without either of their two best lineman come Thanksgiving, they won't be able to do shit on offense against us.

Political Hack
08-25-2014, 07:33 AM
them being at full strength won't matter. Our defense is better than last year... when they didn't score an offensive TD. It's a terrible match up for them.

Think State O vs OM D. We're going to score some and we're going to move the ball. It will be a tough matchup, but barring multiple turnovers the O will produce points with Dak on the field. Plus, CDM always saves a wrinkle for them.

Think State D vs OM O. We could conceivably shut them out. We almost did it last year and are better this season. I don't think they've passed us in any way shape or form. Their OL is potentially bad... they have a limited inside running game... and they're QB hasn't thrown the ball further than 35 yards down the field in 15 or so months.

steeldawg
08-25-2014, 07:34 AM
F that, Cadaver. We're beating that ass in Oxford. Mark it down, put it in stone. Big Softie ain't holding up, the rest of the OL "starters" are questionable, and there's nothing behind them. We win by at least 2 TDs.

He went with a fairly safe bet. The home team has won 12 of the last 14 years. There will be a lot riding on that game for both teams.

steeldawg
08-25-2014, 07:37 AM
them being at full strength won't matter. Our defense is better than last year... when they didn't score an offensive TD. It's a terrible match up for them.

Think State O vs OM D. We're going to score some and we're going to move the ball. It will be a tough matchup, but barring multiple turnovers the O will produce points with Dak on the field. Plus, CDM always saves a wrinkle for them.

Think State D vs OM O. We could conceivably shut them out. We almost did it last year and are better this season. I don't think they've passed us in any way shape or form. Their OL is potentially bad... they have a limited inside running game... and they're QB hasn't thrown the ball further than 35 yards down the field in 15 or so months.

I would highly highly doubt we shut them out. It's gonna be a tough game an don't let your hatred for OM tell you otherwise. That game is the biggest tossup on the schedule for me. There are a lot of question marks. Obviously, I like our chances more than eve 2 years ago, but objectively speaking, that game is a tossup and only because we have tem at home.

BeastMan
08-25-2014, 07:37 AM
He went with a fairly safe bet. The home team has won 12 of the last 14 years. There will be a lot riding on that game for both teams.

Bingo

Coach34
08-25-2014, 07:45 AM
We don't play them for almost 4 months. A lot can happen before then- on both sides.

This is going to be a great season though

Dawgface
08-25-2014, 08:02 AM
9-3 looks like a real possibility. I have heard others say this. If I had to make a prediction, I would say 8-4. Not bad, but a dissapointing loss along the way. Either to AU or to A&M. I hope I'm wrong and we go 10-2, which is possible.

I'm a pessimist by nature, so take it for what its worth. At my age, its hard to change. ;)

Political Hack
08-25-2014, 08:16 AM
I would highly highly doubt we shut them out. It's gonna be a tough game an don't let your hatred for OM tell you otherwise. That game is the biggest tossup on the schedule for me. There are a lot of question marks. Obviously, I like our chances more than eve 2 years ago, but objectively speaking, that game is a tossup and only because we have tem at home.

I agree it's a toss up, but Id rather have our matchup than theirs. If it was in Vegas, I'd say "probable win." But right now, I think it's even at worst.

steeldawg
08-25-2014, 08:36 AM
I agree it's a toss up, but Id rather have our matchup than theirs. If it was in Vegas, I'd say "probable win." But right now, I think it's even at worst.

I'd choose our defense and our depth any day of the week, without question. We are more versatile, as well. We can play physically, and we have speed. They just have speed. If it's the 4th quarter, I pick us every time. Like I said, the ONLY reason it's a tossup to me is because it's there and not here.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 08:39 AM
A couple of things. We will beat Auburn this year. I'm as confident about us beating them as I am about beating UM. Guys our defense did a better job defending them than any other team in CFB. Our defense is only going to be better. I distinctly remember Skinner's size in that game being a hinderence as he lacked the speed we needed to defend them on field side plays. He covered boundary side plays well as the gap was smaller but field side plays we struggled to defend. We went with smaller yet faster LBs more in that game. We won't have that issue this year. Dak will out shine Marshall in that game. It will be built up as Heisman shoot out. But look at how well Dan has done Vs Auburn in his tenure. Even Vs their NC teams.

We will beat UM in Oxford. How more "desperate" could they be than being the one reason we DO NOT make a bowl game PLUS defending a 3rd string high school kid at QB in the biggest game of his life? I know Williams was calm but that pressure was SO intense you couldn't cut it with a chainsaw. Barring an injury (big one) we will win 10-11 in the regular season and honestly have the potential to beat Bama & LSU too. I honestly think we win 11 unless we have a big injury.

Auburn was not the same team when we played them as they were later in the year. Not trying to take away from what we did defensively against them, but they got much better as the season went on. So in my opinion, to use last season's close loss as a reason to claim a definite win, isn't being very realistic. I am picking us over Auburn because we are at home, and because I like the way our D matches up with them. Plus, we should finally be able to put up some points against Aubie.

And I also disagree with using last year's Egg Bowl win to say we should beat OM this year. Why? Because It's in Oxford....They will put everything they've got towards this game this year.....and like I said, they will definitely be more desperate this year than they were last year because we will have a great record and Freeze does NOT want to lose 2 straight and start feeling the heat.

The good news about this season is that for the first time in many many years, I actually feel confident when I say we can play with anybody on our schedule. I'm realistic about the small chances of winning at LSU or at Bama....and Auburn and A&M will be dog fights at home that we could easily lose. But I think we get two big wins against A&M and Auburn, and then our 10th win will depend on what we can do against the desperate dbags up North.

I agree, BeastMan...the home team has a way bigger advantage than many seem to realize in the Egg Bowl. I could be like several of the responses, and just let my maroon blood take over my predictions...but I'd rather be realistic about it. Maybe we beat OM, but don't be surprised if we lose to Auburn or A&M in the process. Saying we beat 2 teams we rarely beat PLUS a good OM team on their home field in a desperate situation....I just can't do that without knowing it's because of bias.

TrapGame
08-25-2014, 08:52 AM
I can't give up the ole miss game no matter what. I think their depth keeps them from being a serious threat by the time the EB rolls around. Our defense will give the Pantene QB of the Year fits for four quarters. We win that game.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 09:00 AM
I can't give up the ole miss game no matter what. I think their depth keeps them from being a serious threat by the time the EB rolls around. Our defense will give the Pantene QB of the Year fits for four quarters. We win that game.

I hope you're right. And I'm definitely not "giving up" the Ole Miss game. I'm just not predicting a win if we go in there 9-3 like I think we will.

Liverpooldawg
08-25-2014, 09:00 AM

Preseason predictions (mine too) aren't worth much. You just really don't have any idea what a team's chemistry will be till you see it a few times with at least one of those times being against decent opposition. Since we are doing it though: worst case 6-6; best case 9-3; most likely 7-5 or 8-3. 7-4 headed to the Egg Bowl is highly likely (also highly likely for UM) Again, that's a totally worthless prediction, just like all the others.

TrapGame
08-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Preseason predictions (mine too) aren't worth much. You just really don't have any idea what a team's chemistry will be till you see it a few times with at least one of those times being against decent opposition. Since we are doing it though: worst case 6-6; best case 9-3; most likely 7-5 or 8-3. 7-4 headed to the Egg Bowl is highly likely (also highly likely for UM) Again, that's a totally worthless prediction, just like all the others.

If we do enter the EB at 7-4 the level of Mullen hate will be volcanic. 7-4 means some major boneheaded coaching decisions were made.

I can see 9-3 w/ a loss to ole miss but I just don't think it happens. We are the better team.

SDDawg
08-25-2014, 09:13 AM
I'm a dead ender when it comes to OM, I'll never pick them to win. I'm like Dan and I don't care if you put me up on the video board: "we're never losing to this team again!"

Political Hack
08-25-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm a dead ender when it comes to OM, I'll never pick them to win. I'm like Dan and I don't care if you put me up on the video board: "we're never losing to this team again!"

I like this fella.

Liverpooldawg
08-25-2014, 09:22 AM
If we do enter the EB at 7-4 the level of Mullen hate will be volcanic. 7-4 means some major boneheaded coaching decisions were made.

I can see 9-3 w/ a loss to ole miss but I just don't think it happens. We are the better team.

In order to be better than that we will have to beat A&M or Auburn without a slip elsewhere. I realize I'm in a very small minority when it comes to A&M but I don't think they are going to drop off as much as people think. Auburn has most if last year's team back. I think both of those are doable, but doing both is a stretch. We will most likely be the underdog in both. Now once the season starts if we should happen to beat LSU my prediction would change. I have to see our offensive line in action against a decent opponent, and see it do well, before I'm buying into any hype.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2014, 09:25 AM
In order to be better than that we will have to beat A&M or Auburn without a slip elsewhere. I realize I'm in a very small minority when it comes to A&M but I don't think they are going to drop off as much as people think. Auburn has most if last year's team back. I think both of those are doable, but doing both is a stretch. We will most likely be the underdog in both. Now once the season starts if we should happen to beat LSU my prediction would change. I have to see our offensive line in action against a decent opponent, and see it do well, before I'm buying into any hype.

Solid post. I agree that we have a lot of wool growth on this board when discussing A&M and Auburn especially (myself included). We could very easily go out there and win 7-8 regular season games and have our entire fanbase pissed off. Ha, let's hope that doesn't happen.

bobcat91
08-25-2014, 09:35 AM
We may finish 9-3 but it wont be due to a loss at UM. They couldn't beat us last year with us playing a true freshman QB most of the game, them having better talent than this year at OL, WR, and DB.

Bully13
08-25-2014, 09:41 AM
NWhat I'm hoping for is for ole miss' team chemistry to break down. I'm not worried about us. We're going to be good. But with the type of selfishhead cases ole miss has gives the potential for their team unity to collapse. Having us exceed expectations while they suck finished off by whipping their ass would be the best thing for MSU football. If they meet expectations and are primed and ready to go come thanksgiving , don't look for a sure egg bowl win.

TrapGame
08-25-2014, 09:49 AM
NWhat I'm hoping for is for ole miss' team chemistry to break down. I'm not worried about us. We're going to be good. But with the type of selfishhead cases ole miss has gives the potential for their team unity to collapse. Having us exceed expectations while they suck finished off by whipping their ass would be the best thing for MSU football. If they meet expectations and are primed and ready to go come thanksgiving , don't look for a sure egg bowl win.

This is what I'm thinking too. I just don't see the bears living up to their hype. I don't see the physical or mental health of that team lasting through the EB. If they do keep it together, which will take a minor miracle, then the EB is going to be very tough game.

DapperDawg
08-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Why do some of you say that OM's line won't hold up through the season, but you just assume State's will? I think both teams' lines are in the same boat, with State having some more depth. But OM has two NFL'ers on the left side, so they have some talent there. If it's a given that a team will sustain injuries on the offensive line, then both teams are in trouble.

Also, (brace yourselves for my pessimism) I think LSU beats State by 20+. I don't care who has what; LSU always finds a way to pull a stellar performance out of their asses against MSU, who finds a way to shit the bed.

I predict 8-4; losses to Coon-asses, Barners, Bammers and Delusional Pricks.

UMCDawg16
08-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Why do some of you say that OM's line won't hold up through the season, but you just assume State's will? I think both teams' lines are in the same boat, with State having some more depth. But OM has two NFL'ers on the left side, so they have some talent there. If it's a given that a team will sustain injuries on the offensive line, then both teams are in trouble.

Also, (brace yourselves for my pessimism) I think LSU beats State by 20+. I don't care who has what; LSU always finds a way to pull a stellar performance out of their asses against MSU, who finds a way to shit the bed.

2 things:

1. We have much better depth at O-Line than OM, most of their backups are true freshman that simply aren't ready for SEC ball, they have said this themselves. Yes, our depth isn't great, but we have a lot of utility guys that can play multiple positions and are SERVICEABLE. And mark my words, Tunsil will miss time, due to "precaution" or some type of "injury."
2.NO WAY LSU beats us by 20+, their offense simply isn't good enough to beat us by that much. With in-experienced QBs, at the time of the year we play them, they will be a run-heavy offense. And that's our strength. This defense will not get run over this year.

THE Bruce Dickinson
08-25-2014, 11:39 AM
I am fairly certain we will be the home favorite against A & M. Preseason lines that were released projected us as -4 vs. the Aggies. The only loss we should have by that time is LSU, and unless we get blown out in Baton Rouge, we will not be a dog to A&M at home coming off of a bye week.

Respectfully, I think you are wrong about A & M. I think there is a major drop off coming. Their D was as bad as I can ever remember from an SEC team. Also, Sumlin has operated his entire coaching career with a star QB (Keenum, Manziel). The one year he was without one (2009 when Keenum got hurt) his team went 5-7 in conference USA. I can see the aggies losing 6-7 games.

thf24
08-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Why do some of you say that OM's line won't hold up through the season, but you just assume State's will?

Because one of their two critical starters is soft and the other is overweight and injury-prone, and there as some questions about their other starters, let alone backups. We on the other hand have one out of five proven starters who has ever been significantly injured, and 8-9 total guys who can play. Everyone has injuries, but the difference is that we can survive one or two, while they absolutely cannot.

PassInterference
08-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Liggins is gonna step in and help the OL. Liggins can play any role needed - QB, RB, TE, OL, etc.

preachermatt83
08-25-2014, 12:25 PM
we wont lose to OM.

thf24
08-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Liggins is gonna step in and help the OL. Liggins can play any role needed - QB, RB, TE, OL, etc.

Try not to be so biased, you forgot CB, long snapper, point guard, and Nobel Prize winner.

Dawg496
08-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Try not to be so biased, you forgot CB, long snapper, point guard, and Nobel Prize winner.

Jerrell Powe has cemented himself at that last spot.

BeardoMSU
08-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Ha!!!

LC Dawg
08-25-2014, 01:23 PM
It's a long way until the Egg Bowl but this is how I see it today.
We are equal in a lot of areas to Umiss but I think two things will make a difference.
Home field = +3 for them
Dak vs. Bo = +10 (at least) for us
For a difference of +7 for us which means we win the Egg Bowl by 7. It's simple arithmetic.

Coach34
08-25-2014, 01:36 PM

DapperDawg is now history...I'm calling BearShark in maroon clothing...those statements- plus:

"Not arguing with anyone, but just curious. Why are some of you so confident that Adams will be at State? Do you have inside knowledge, or are you just stating your opinion?"

"Exhibit A of why I'm not buying into all of the hype."- that was about James

There are many, many other posts in his history that just rub me the wrong way