PDA

View Full Version : Right now the plan is to RS Aeris Williams

Coach34
08-23-2014, 06:14 PM
I like it. Don't waste a ****ing year for 30 carries

Run JRob till he freaking drops

Esmerelda Villalobos
08-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Im not sure folks realize how good Aeris can be. He easily can be the best back to ever wear the maroon and white. Best tailback in the state since Dixon but he can be better.

archdog
08-23-2014, 06:40 PM
I hope Aeris sees the potential of the future and knows that burning a year just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. He will be part of a two headed monster next year with him and Ashton.

mic
08-23-2014, 06:44 PM
This tells me that Shump has stepped his game up ....
I thought Aries would play this year . Esp with the RB class we have coming in next year..

engie
08-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Aeris is choosing to redshirt. He was shot straight about prospective PT and given the choice by our coaching staff. Smart move on his part IMO...

Now we wait to hear for sure on Fitz, Green, Bryant, Grey, Thomas and a few more...

mic
08-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Aeris is choosing to redshirt. He was shot straight about prospective PT and given the choice by our coaching staff. Smart move on his part IMO...

Now we wait to hear for sure on Fitz, Green, Bryant, Grey, Thomas and a few more...

That's some good info..

defiantdog
08-23-2014, 06:57 PM
He probably saw how limited Shump was last year. It's not worth burning a redshirt for 20 total carries.

NBdawg17
08-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I think Green and Thomas both redshirt. I think Green is talented enough to play now, but just don't think he will get enough snaps to justify not redshirting him. I could see Bryant and Grey playing a huge role on special teams this year. Injuries will play a huge role in all of these guys whether the Rs or not in my opinion.

TheDogFather
08-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Who RS and who doesn't. And then how many "carries" the nonRS subsequently gets I will leave up to the rather large and handsomely paid staff of proffesionals we have responsible for making those decisions.

TheDogFather
08-23-2014, 07:02 PM
He probably saw how limited Shump was last year. It's not worth burning a redshirt for 20 total carries.

Carries is not the only was Shumpert was used. His RS was not "burned"
I'm sure Ashton appreciates your belittling of his contribution.

mic
08-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Although Shumps carries were few he had big roles in games down the stretch

starkvegasdawg
08-23-2014, 07:08 PM

When I first heard he chose to red shirt the first thought I had was he is someone I want on the team. Shows he's a team player and doesn't have a me first attitude.

Dawgcentral
08-23-2014, 07:26 PM
It was a great idea to get Shumpert some playing time last year. Not only did he contribute, but not knowing how well Nick would come along made it a necessity.

defiantdog
08-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Carries is not the only was Shumpert was used. His RS was not "burned"
I'm sure Ashton appreciates your belittling of his contribution.

I wasn't belittling his contribution. But he was behind LDP, Robinson, Griffin and Milton last year. Maybe Mullen gave him the option he gave Aries, but he told Mullen he wanted to play. I understand he got valuable experience, but I'm not alone here. The majority of this board was extremely confused why he wasn't redshirted.

Coach34
08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Aeris wasn't going to play enough this year to matter. Don't waste a year for 30 carries. Great decision by this kid

RTGDF

Reason2succeed
08-23-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm glad we have mature guys on the team who can see the forest from the trees. RS just means that he will be bigger, faster, stronger, and most importantly smarter when he finally hits the field. Plus, he will have four years to play. Honestly, if Aeris is as good as you guys say then he probably won't need all of those years to make his jump to the pros. He will still have a very valuable role on this years team playing the practice squad Fournette and Bama RBs.

HoopsDawg
08-23-2014, 07:57 PM
I like the decision, but if one back goes down, he will have to play.

msstate7
08-23-2014, 08:02 PM
I like the decision, but if one back goes down, he will have to play.

Or would lee be emergency guy?

Bo Darville
08-23-2014, 08:37 PM
He easily can be the best back to ever wear the maroon and white.

I disagree about "easily". We've had Keffer, Haddix, Boobie, Norwood, JJ, and many more. Williams will have to work hard. He won't do it easily.

TrueMaroon
08-23-2014, 08:42 PM
What does this mean for Dontavian Lee?

Coach34
08-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Dontavian is going to D

mstatefan91
08-23-2014, 09:01 PM
It is like everyone forgets about Norwood. My favorite RB to ever wear the Maroon and White. Nothing against Boobie. I like him as well. lol

JDog13
08-23-2014, 09:17 PM
It is like everyone forgets about Norwood. My favorite RB to ever wear the Maroon and White. Nothing against Boobie. I like him as well. lol

I think Norwood did more with less than any running back we had. I think its amazing what he did with the lack of talent around him.

Todd4State
08-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Dontavian is going to D

Do we not have fullbacks anymore?

I know we use H-backs, but I would like for us to have another Patrick Hanrahan.

bulldawg28
08-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Every freshman signed last year will probably redshirt and they should. Next year is when they'll get the opportunity their looking for. Wasting a year for special teams unless it's for a returner, punter, or kicker is useless. With as deep as we are the 1b team or backups will secure those special team spots.

TheDogFather
08-23-2014, 09:31 PM
I wasn't belittling his contribution. But he was behind LDP, Robinson, Griffin and Milton last year. Maybe Mullen gave him the option he gave Aries, but he told Mullen he wanted to play. I understand he got valuable experience, but I'm not alone here. The majority of this board was extremely confused why he wasn't redshirted.

Well if the majority of this board question Shumps RS, then they are really indirectly expressing their distrust for the coaching staff. The amount of information we are privy to is a fraction of what is used to make these types of decisions.

CadaverDawg
08-23-2014, 10:29 PM
I hope Aeris sees the potential of the future and knows that burning a year just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. He will be part of a two headed monster next year with him and Ashton.

Next year Josh Robinson will be back, unless drafted. So our RB position will be a 3 headed monster, and continue to be loaded.

This is how I see the other guys mentioned panning out...

Fitzgerald will not redshirt. He is our 3rd string QB this year.

Gerri Green will Not redshirt. He is talented enough to be a 3 year guy, per Collins, so I doubt we waste a year of his eligibility with us as a redshirt. He will be a beast on Special Teams this year.

Cory Thomas will Not redshirt. Why? Because we lose Virges, Eulls, and PJ, and we don't know what James will give us. We need DT's gaining experience, and he is our best youngster. But Grant Harris will redshirt, and that may have already been announced.

JT Gray...I could see going either way. I think the coaches see him as a super talented guy, but since he is likely making the full time move to LB, I'm thinking we may redshirt him so he can completely get used to that position for a year. But if the coaches don't feel 100% confident about Zach Jackson taking over the Wells LB spot after this season, they may want JT to go ahead and get some live experience this year.

Just my thoughts.

chainedup_Dawg
08-23-2014, 11:25 PM

If it is true that it was his decision, it really is not shocking. He is the type that knows what he can bring to the table but will work his ass off to be better than what is expected. Everything I've read and heard about the kid around town says he will earn everything given to him rather than ask for anything which only bodes well for the team.

War Machine Dawg
08-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Aeris wasn't going to play enough this year to matter. Don't waste a year for 30 carries. Great decision by this kid

RTGDF

+1

shoeless joe
08-24-2014, 01:08 AM

This just goes to show what type of kid Aeris is. He is a team guy. He is an absolute incredible kid with an insane work ethic. I hope he is successful more than any player we've ever had. No doubt he is what we are looking for in our recruits and players.

hailmari
08-24-2014, 01:33 AM
Dontavian is going to D

It's possible, but he's been impressive in practice. I don't think it's a settled decision yet at all.

Dawg61
08-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Dontavian is going to D

What are they waiting on then?

Todd4State
08-24-2014, 02:26 AM
It's possible, but he's been impressive in practice. I don't think it's a settled decision yet at all.

Heck, I'd just leave him at FB. Gerri Green, JT Gray, and then Leo Lewis hopefully coming in.

Bothrops
08-24-2014, 04:23 AM
Is it true that Dontavian is weighing 225?

Political Hack
08-24-2014, 06:38 AM
I would hardly ever tell a player to go pro of they aren't in the top 1-2 round range, but with RBs it's different now. They don't get 1st round grades anymore. If they're assured to be a draft pick, it's almost better for them to leave and get paid for that year of pounding they're going to take. Their shelf life is so short now and their draft status doesn't skyrocket like a QB, LT, DL, or DB does.

smootness
08-24-2014, 12:12 PM
I love Josh Robinson and his potential. Love Ashton Shumpert. But I think we'll eventually have a statue of Aeris Williams somewhere around the stadium. I just have a feeling about him.

Todd4State
08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
I love Josh Robinson and his potential. Love Ashton Shumpert. But I think we'll eventually have a statue of Aeris Williams somewhere around the stadium. I just have a feeling about him.

You can tell that Aeries is a winner.

Thank God Ole Miss didn't offer him last year.******************

GreenheadDawg
08-24-2014, 12:51 PM
I never had a chance to see Williams in high school but my uncle said his vision and footwork were incredible. I know stars don't matter but why do you guys think he wasn't a top 10 back?

JDog13
08-24-2014, 01:23 PM
I never had a chance to see Williams in high school but my uncle said his vision and footwork were incredible. I know stars don't matter but why do you guys think he wasn't a top 10 back?

Because he committed to us. It kept Yancer from ranking him higher.